Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

t00fatt

I love that elk hide, seems durable too. The snakeskin I think would look out of place on a PD IMO.

t00fatt,

Purple-Days

Yeah, I just wanted opinions, to balance my, fist in vest style. :ninja:

Elk is cool. The snake is kinda neat, but just another cowhide, embossed. . . Leading the HERD, again! Anybody object to ELK? (beyond veggie reasons, we are looking for alternatives). Looking for more P-D firsts, always.

Purple-Days,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
It'd be purple died elk right??? I'd feel weird I'd it wasn't purple I think. I love how the leather used now darkens. Mines a deep purple now and I absolutley love it.

minnesnowta,

Purple-Days

No. I think we will prefer Elk colored Elk. But, I like the suggestions. ;)

Hey, High n Dry, nice to see you. :)

Purple-Days,

The_Other_Shoe

What's Going On?
minnesnowta, I don't know about you but my purple leather is pretty dark and i just got mine. Had to hold it under the right light just to make sure it wasn't black or brown. It is a great unit, been waxing it a lot :D. The top of mine seems a bit of a darker shad than the rest of the unit, I like it though.

I have only pulled a handful of stems, but this is truly an amazing product Tom.

I do love how everyone says, "it isn't a party vape", that may be true, but it is a nice kick back vape. I had a group of about 6 friends plus me just sitting in a circle, they were all eager with anticipation as I was. A pretty mellow group used to waiting for just one or two pieces being passed around, so nothing new waiting a little bit as it was passed. Everyone got a stem and passed it on pretty quick. The two extra stems were passed to the people next in line to fill them up. Needless to say it took a while, but there is nothing else to do here unless you are in a retirement home, we have like 5 of them in a fairly small town.

The_Other_Shoe,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Yeah mine was almost a lavender when I got it. Both the wood and leather have become much darker on mine. The top is the darker than the rest as well. But both the leather and the wood have seen multiple coats of buzz butter.

minnesnowta,

Purple-Days

Thanks for your comments TheOtherShoe. :)

What you are seeing on the top of the PD is end grain. It is darker for a reason.

The wood is in the same orientation as the tree it grew from (or 180 degrees, ie. upside down). The tree is like a bundle of soda straws, except they are much smaller, these small tubes use capillary action to draw water (and nutrients) from the root area into the upper parts of the tree. These same small tubes conduct the oil and wax of the Buzz-Butter deeper into the wood. And they allow for deeper penetration of the oxidation, the force responsible for the darkening of American Cherry.

All natural, of course. They age, something like a meerschaum pipe.

Purple-Days,

Ash

vaporist
I've had my PD for about two weeks and I absolutely love it. My personal sense of style precludes me from wearing clothes with largr logos on them, and when possible I prefer to be logo free. If I'm going to be a billboard for someone's brand, I want to get paid for it. So, of course, I ordered a paisley no-logo PD. Amazon messed up and sent me a logoed purple bottom PD instead and I was initially disappointed. For one thing, it wasn't what I wanted, and for another, the logo seemed to be messed up. There appeared to be a dent in the wood just above and to the left of the PD-logo.

Anyway, i didn't dwell on this too much because I was too busy enjoying my new vape. So then I'm :ko: and putting on a second coat of buzz-butter and I realize it's not a dent, just Tom protecting his trademark (TM). :lol: Anyway, now I really like the logo. I think of it like an artist's signature on a painting. I like how it is positioned "just-so" on the PD to line up with the wood grain features, and I like that it is the "classic" design.

I just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone Is having trouble deciding between the two options.
:leaf:

Ash,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I'm glad to hear you've grown to love your sun logo PD... I know I love mine and I'm not big on company logos to wear. I actually like the sun on mine and no one knows what it is unless they're in the know so....

I like that Elk Tom.... Looks like a good choice to distinguish between the kits and your built units. I like the idea of the logo being different as well on the kit units.

Lo,

Purple-Days

Glad you like the logo Ash. It was created shortly after Pammy came up with the Purple-Days name. I was thinking a purple Sun would give you purple daylight (stoner moment). And sat at the computer to sketch a rough idea out. This was supposed to be a first draft, but it has remained as our logo without change since that first day. Yes, the little mark in the upper left is the TM (trademark) symbol. Gotta have it (unfortunately).

I notice some folks asking others makers to shape their units like a PD. There is probably a good reason. I have a bit of background in architecture. And enjoy history too. Entasis is not a new concept (to me).

About columns:
"The Greeks developed an augmentation technique known as entasis to avoid an optical illusion caused by the shaft's fluting (parallel vertical lines). In a tall structure, like the Parthenon, such lines appear concave. To compensate, the Greek architects made the columns slightly convex."

Put a straight edge on a Purple-Days and you will see a taper as you approach the upper curve and also a slight taper at the bottom. Not enough to unbalance the unit, just enough for optical pleasure. :cool:

Yes the Elk is cool looking stuff, we will be ordering some as the Pandora project gets closer. Worked on the paper insert for the kit last night, it's ready. Been taking lots of pics and video. Gotta get a storyboard together and fill in the missing pics and info. Gonna take some time though. ;)

Purple-Days,

Lo

I'm excited for you to have this kit project to put together. It seems like it will be exciting and a nice change of pace for you. I also think you're going to sell a LOT of them :D :D

BTW.... I always learn things from your posts! I love the knowledge that you store and share. It reminds me very much of my father :peace:

Lo,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Hey lo- nice osprey pic!
My husband and I had a great trip a couple years ago & walked the osprey trail on Honeymoon island in FL right during nesting season! Got some great pics of them flying up the the trees, fish in talons and ripping them apart! Went to the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary & got a bit teary eyed.. a bit of a birder here, as well as a general nerd.

And not to derail too much more.. ;)
I only wish we had our PD to enjoy on that trip, instead of sneaking hits on our dugout!

indigal,

Lo

Thanks Indi! We actually have them nesting all over the place here so I take loads of pics of them from the boat or kayak when it's warmer. I have done lots of critter rescue/rehab in my younger days. Actually helped an injured hawk a few weeks back too. The sanctuary's do make for teary eyes tho. We have one nearby and the one you visited is not that far away either.

I hope your next trip you can take the PD :D

End of hijack :)

Lo,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Purple-Days said:
I notice some folks asking others makers to shape their units like a PD. There is probably a good reason. I have a bit of background in architecture. And enjoy history too. Entasis is not a new concept (to me).

About columns:
"The Greeks developed an augmentation technique known as entasis to avoid an optical illusion caused by the shaft's fluting (parallel vertical lines). In a tall structure, like the Parthenon, such lines appear concave. To compensate, the Greek architects made the columns slightly convex."

Put a straight edge on a Purple-Days and you will see a taper as you approach the upper curve and also a slight taper at the bottom. Not enough to unbalance the unit, just enough for optical pleasure. :cool:
Tom,
Are you going to give out ALL your knowledge and secrets? How about keeping something to yourself to at least slow down the competition...let them stumble through these things like you did.

stickstones,

Purple-Days

313lks9.jpg

The P-D Laffy Face. In Tea Tree BTW. :lol:

ngc2rn.jpg

I like things formed to fit the function. Macasser Ebony chuck key handle.

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

Tea Tree was pleasant to work with, a distinct odor when worked. You can say that about most woods, but this wood was fairly unique, and not like the tea tree oil, derived from this plant. Pammy has a specimen growing on the porch, it has lots of small flowers too (not right now).

++++++++++++++

Well, you never know what to expect in PD Land.
10zvcb4.jpg

How about a Pint of Stainless Steel Vapor tips, fresh from the rinse cycle?

+++++++++++++++++

How about a PD/FC Holiday Contest? :D Open to all Current PD Owners and any On The Wait List with an order number of 3538 or less. ;) That's the latest posted PD order in the availability thread (at this moment).

Guess how many Stainless Steel Vapor Tips are in a pint.

Prize- A Billy-Bowl, A Tube-Holder, A full size tin (2oz.) :buzz: Buzz-Butter, now made with Organic Hemp Oil, A wooden table toy, and your choice of 2 Mark'r Tubes or 2 Whip-Rippers, plus a screen kit, maybe some other stuff...

Rules:
Contest ends January 4, 2010. Entries received after that date will not be considered. Compliance with rules is mandatory and I will be the sole judge of your compliance*. Nothing tricky just read and follow the rules.

Send a picture post card to:
Purple-Days
P.O. Box O (as in Oscar)
Port Orford, OR 97465

1. Post card must be a picture* post card.
2. Line 1- You must print your FC username*, so we can announce the winner.
3. Line 2- In large clear numbers, print your guess, and circle* it.
4. Lines 3+ - Your name* and address* and e-mail* (we will contact the potential winner and ask for the PD order info confirmation. This contest is only open to former Vapenow/PD customers, Vapenow/PD waiting list customers, Purple-Days customers)
5. Optional, include a Holiday note to the PD crew.
6. One entry per person.

Person coming closest to the actual number, and following all rules, wins. In the event of duplicate guesses the earliest postmark will be the winner. We will announce the winner right here when we confirm a compliant* winner.

+++++++++++++++

xlxl3p.jpg

Took a while to get a center space large enough without throwing the cube off too much. Is it too much and would a simple square be enough?

Purple-Days,

Daffy

Hi,

yesterday i spoke to a PD user who complained about the wood taste.

Could you tell me if this is true what he said:

Wood base --- outer cilinder with no bottom --- heater on the cilinder ?

My buddy thought that there was not an enclosed system in the PD so the wood is
constantly in the vapor path while heated ??

I can not imagine that this is true that is why i ask before i order ;)

Daffy,

Frickr

you do get a wood taste for the first few weeks of use. its nothing terrable, i actually think it complements the vapor. but the wood smell does go away after a few weeks of the unit being on. after that the wood has no negitive effects on taste.

Frickr,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
If you look on other vapes you will notice they tend too put the beginning of the vapor path at the bottom of the unit. So your pretty much at the mercy of wether or not you put it on a clean surface. I would consider that part of the air path, the surface area underneath the unit surrounding the intake.
But with the PD, the air path begins right next too where it ends up. Sure there might be a tiny bit of wood in the air path before it hits the bowl, but its not enough too be an issue. Hell there are a lot of lighter flame based vapes where the entire vapor path, or at least a part of it, is wood. I dont think it being wood is really an issue. At least with the PD I know it will be a clean patch of wood, versus setting up a vape (that has intakes on the bottom like the Extreme or VaporCannon) on someones questionably clean countertop. And all the vaporizing happens within the Tube. So you don't have too worry about oil build up on the wood.

DevoTheStrange,

Lo

So your pretty much at the mercy of wether or not you put it on a clean surface
Funny you should mention that Devo... I was thinking that exact thing when I looked at things like the E. I have no worries with my PD there and I can't imagine an easier to clean setup than my PD :D

Lo,
Top Bottom