Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
Purple-Days said:
Macasser Ebony takes the cake, hard as a rock. the dust irritates your skin and the smoke from working the wood is like habenero peppers in hot grease, unbearable. :evil: Cocobolo is similar but not quite as intense.

Doing final assembly today on a bunch so I'm packing the camera.
http://i48.tinypic.com/501nih.jpg
Secured with stainless steel screws, and twisted tight before solder.
Good pictures should make kit assembly pretty straightforward.
Oh that is cool haha. I'm loving the fact that you seemed have just played around and made some really unique pieces before settling primarily (for good?) on the cherry. Doesn't sound like that Ebony one is a labor of love to make though ;)

And you know I think the VaporGenie had an exotic version made of Cocobolo way back; discontinued for the reasons you mentioned. Also cool though.

sneezyjesus,

Purple-Days

Sneezy, we did lots of things to make our 'diffuser' different than the progenitors. :)

Not just trying a wide variety of wood for better performance and durability. This involved experiments and prototypes and a few mistakes. But, we wanted to stand on our own and make something better, not just a mindless plagiarism, I ain't built that way. I thought I could do it better, or I would never have started any of this...

What leads you to think you can do better Tom?

As a Material Scheduler at a (big) Furnace and Air Conditioner mfg. I had lots of exposure to Stainless Steel, and believe it or not ... Heat Exchangers and Fins... :cool:

Spending three years at a drafting table, manipulating objects in my mind...on another gig ;)

Quality Control at a hi-tech electronics mfg... another job... :D

Dad, the Scientist :science: , Mom the Mathmetician :bowdown: ... had a hand in it, though they would never have approved. :uhoh:

Before you say we copied the Aromazap, and therefor the Eterra, (in another thread) it might help to know more of the story.
See post 4582.
As you say, "...made some really unique pieces...". Yes, not just wood species, or shape, not just fins, or stainless, or tolerances... I wanted better, as a whole. I wanted it all, every improvement I could think of.. Even now I look for better ways to do things, cause I don't sit still or copy someone and think that's good enough.

Even Rick made the change of adding an aromatherapy function to the Aromazap. He improved the Eterra in his own way.

Purple-Days,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
Ya I was raging pretty hard for a while there. It just twists me the wrong way when I see the kind of back and forths that tend to happen on message boards. I digress, but the high level of maturity I got used to here at FC plus being vaked really pushed it into overdrive :mad:, haha

Don't get me wrong, aside from some exasperation from reading three pages of useless posts, I wholeheartedly respect the credibility of all of the units in question, at this point at least. Going for satire and criticism, not offense :/
It fascinates me though, the process you, rick, (hippiedickie as well), all went through in developing your respective vapes. The wood aspect has a particular appeal, but the whole process is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to devote time to doing. Someday...:rolleyes:
I wonder what my own parents would think if I started making my own vaporizer...(Both get-a-degree-work-hard-don't-waste-time-on-stupid-stuff kinda attitude :p)...

Maybe I'll make a vape and name it the Green-days vape ;)

sneezyjesus,

indigal

Amongst the corn
KIT PLEASE!~:D
The other half would love to turn a nice piece of wood, we have access to the tools!
Please keep us posted on the kit idea as it progresses. I will tag you & Pammy to order when it's up and running.

It would be fantastic if you sold something like an instructional DVD along with the electronics/innards..for those who have the tools but not the where-with-all..

indigal,

Purple-Days

1sh1xh.jpg

Now that I can see, I have decided to open the valves on production. :D

Our buddy, who turns the Billy-Bowls, is lending a hand in our operation. His turning skills cost us, but it can help dig us out of a waiting list hole. (This move was made before the rip-off* started his operation, I have receipts... it has nothing to do with him ;) ). Many things over the last few months have contributed to longer than expected delays and the long list is not acceptable to us.

This is the one way, I can get help, but not give up any quality or security in the materials used.

I still acquire the wood from the same source. KD Cherry. I still cut the blocks from the slab.

This is not a duplicator operation. This fellow is a very skilled turner, and he works from a model I turned, for him to work from. They (PD bodies) are done 'freehand' (smooth man), each is different, just like all the units I have turned. :cool: No way to tell one of his from mine. I will still be turning, but not every piece.

This move gives me more time to devote to the technical aspects of construction. I still bore every hole, build every heat exchanger and wiring harness, do all the soldering and testing and finish. The important stuff.
29lxpc0.jpg

Always have been, and still THE 100% RoHS compliant vape!
I will always assure that. And welcome others to follow our example. Show your stuff!
That little green tree is the RoHS label.

1jp6e0.jpg

Never going to sacrifice quality for production.
We still use solid hardwood bottoms. ;)

* The crossbar innovation was mine. The use of stainless lock washers to tension the stack was mine. The idea of upgrading the AZ/ET to stainless and RoHS compliance of all electronics, was mine. He used the PD image as his own in commercial advertising copy. Other items.. Read this thread and others... then drop the subject.

Purple-Days,

Beezleb

I imagine Toms shop like Willie Wonka with all the lovely little PD being made. I want a golden ticket hehe.

I really like how you show the videos and pictures of you making it. I have mentioned your videos to more than a few people at my local watering hole and later when we talk again almost always they mention your vape and craftsmanship being a big point. You do an excellent job of enduring people to the PD and right fully so. I believe you will always be in demand because quality and the personal craftsmanship that you give each one is really an old world aspect that we are sadly losing to cheap bulk manufacturing. I appreciate it and I do not even own a PD so I think that says something.

Beezleb,

Purple-Days

Thanks Beezleb, the personal touch has always meant something to me. I still make them all, in the important sense.

You are welcome, along with anyone, to visit anytime. :) We have had a couple of FC folks come by, as remote as we are... I keep an open shop and open books. All are here to see, we hide nothing. :cool:

afaowk.jpg

We try hard to earn our customer's trust, it takes time and honesty in everything, to do it right. You can't be 'mostly honest'. :2c:

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

indigal, I think a wood-turner, would want the model to work from, for depth stops and hole placements. Drawings are OK, but a model... and you can maybe buy a 'gut's only kit' to turn the 'model' into a second vape? Ie. Basic DIY Kit + 1 extra 'guts'. Hmmm. Lots of possibilities, that's why I say, it will be a while before the kit is released, still gonna look for input. Maybe get an idea or two of my own... :cool:

And the DVD will be part of the kit. :party: Mostly stills and text to build from, but included, the PD video library too... Gotta work on the text. But that will take time that I don't have right now. But taking pics of the whole thing is easy and that may be the easy way to follow the build. I think the wiring harness should be built from scratch, the heat exchanger stacked and tensioned, unit assembled, tubes shaped and built... The assembly should be done from a 'head start' not 'semi-pre-assembled'. Model makers will know what I mean, and some model makers will want to go from 'zero' like the old balsa aero kits.

For those that think you can turn the faucet on and off, here is the town you get to work with.... It's beautiful, but . . . :uhoh:
330uvyg.jpg

Purple-Days,

lwien

Fuck. The only time that streets are that empty around here is at 3 in the morning........... on a Sunday.

Balsa aero kits. Built one just a few years ago. Lotso fun. Except I put so much effin time into them that my knees were shaking every time I got it airborne. :/

lwien,

Frickr

seeing the picture of port orford has me craving some fish and chips from the crazy norwiedens! that alone is almost worth the drive in that dirrection! i guess i will have to see where life takes me next summer. might have to visit the birthplace of the pd once again.

Frickr,

Purple-Days

That's a school day afternoon, the bus is way up at the other end of town. :lol:

Yep, the Norwegian's is just a mini-block or two to the right, and even better, is Griff's, down on the docks, both great, both reasonable prices.

343npty.jpg

The harbor.
28b46lu.jpg

Griff's on the dock... :cheers:

Purple-Days,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
Purple-Days said:
http://i48.tinypic.com/1sh1xh.jpg

Our buddy, who turns the Billy-Bowls, is lending a hand in our operation. His turning skills cost us, but it can help dig us out of a waiting list hole. (This move was made before the rip-off* started his operation, I have receipts... it has nothing to do with him ;) ). Many things over the last few months have contributed to longer than expected delays and the long list is not acceptable to us.

This is the one way, I can get help, but not give up any quality or security in the materials used.

I still acquire the wood from the same source. KD Cherry. I still cut the blocks from the slab.

This is not a duplicator operation. This fellow is a very skilled turner, and he works from a model I turned, for him to work from. They (PD bodies) are done 'freehand' (smooth man), each is different, just like all the units I have turned. :cool: No way to tell one of his from mine. I will still be turning, but not every piece.

This move gives me more time to devote to the technical aspects of construction. I still bore every hole, build every heat exchanger and wiring harness, do all the soldering and testing and finish. The important stuff.
http://i50.tinypic.com/29lxpc0.jpg
Always have been, and still THE 100% RoHS compliant vape!
I will always assure that. And welcome others to follow our example. Show your stuff!
That little green tree is the RoHS label.

http://i47.tinypic.com/1jp6e0.jpg
Never going to sacrifice quality for production.
We still use solid hardwood bottoms. ;)

* The crossbar innovation was mine. The use of stainless lock washers to tension the stack was mine. The idea of upgrading the AZ/ET to stainless and RoHS compliance of all electronics, was mine. He used the PD image as his own in commercial advertising copy. Other items.. Read this thread and others... then drop the subject.
Your town is beautiful Tom, reminds me of home in Vermont a bit. If I'm ever out West I'll drop by Griffs for a pint :D
(And lwein, I live next to a town that has one set of lights and about a dozen cars tops moving around in it. I'm get kinda jealous sometimes of you city folk and your bustling communities sometimes :haw: haha )

And you know considering the particular innovations made to the PD, I'm now kinda empathizing with where you're coming from on the other "version". Regardless, sucks that the situation happened the way it did; I sure as hell wouldn't feel too good about it if it was me.

But hey, that's great news on the turning-help! I have the utmost confidence that the units will be as good as ever, and grabbing that waiting list by the sack imparts nothing but happiness in me :)

"Willie Wonka's" Purple Days factory...I smell a spoof movie...:lol:

sneezyjesus,

Purple-Days

Waiting on dinner, I have worked on a couple of pics for the Pandora Kit, by Purple-Days Diffusers.

How's that sound for a name? Open to suggestions, but it ain't a contest.

20iammr.jpg

aucak2.jpg

r8e1lk.jpg

Finished with dinner, gotta get back to work.

Purple-Days,

deseee

Purple-Days said:
http://i48.tinypic.com/1sh1xh.jpg

Does this mean I might receive the PD i ordered a couple days ago before the 10+ week estimate on VN? (around the beginning of March if my math is right) not that i won't patiently wait either way, but i'm eager as hell to get my hands on one of these babies :D

deseee,

Purple-Days

Still waiting on a couple of new tools to arrive, but even without them I am able to move faster and all those days off for the eyes and stuff is behind me. :cool:

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Wow lots of excitement!

Going back to the early days, to me, the unfortunate thing about the PD was that only a select few would be able to own and appreciate such an excellent product. The numbers have certainly grown since then and it's great that production is increasing but it's still nice to know that almost anyone will have an opportunity with the design going open source.

Here's a little rip to celebrate. :peace:

vtac,

sour

vtac said:
Wow lots of excitement!

Going back to the early days, to me, the unfortunate thing about the PD was that only a select few would be able to own and appreciate such an excellent product. The numbers have certainly grown since then and it's great that production is increasing but it's still nice to know that almost anyone will have an opportunity with the design going open source.

Here's a little rip to celebrate. :peace:
that was quite a nice rip! I commented with the username "letsplaythem". Man I can't wait to get my PD, hoping for mid January.

sour,

t00fatt

vtac your videos have really got me interested in getting myself a 250ml EHLE. Are there any US EHLE distributors? They seem like a great bong for the price.

t00fatt,

Purple-Days

Yeah, open source. ;) Thought I would even give LED circuit details. Some folks like them, and those bigger surface mount ones seem to not suffer the temperature problems. Somewhere in this long thread, long ago, I said 'if someone tries to steal it I will give it away'. Pandora, baby... :tinfoil:

Purple-Days,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
I really think that its great that your giving the info out. For those handy enough too be able to build their own with out having to wait is fantastic. Glad to have opened the box and be able to help people get a decent vape. ;) And the kits an awesome idea as well. Hope people build their own, it really is gratifying to vape from something that you made yourself.

highendvapes,

spikyvape

I always wondered how the outer SS sleeve is connected with the inner part (washers etc.)

Could you give us a pic of that ?

Also how the resistor is placed inside the inner tube ?

I love the kit idea, i buy it a soon it is available !!

What price are they going for ?

vzy9ma.jpg

spikyvape,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Which one? All the pod's on that planet are all i can remember.... but i haven't seen the movie in years

IAmKrazy2,
Top Bottom