Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

darcey

Chubba said:
one quick question....How green is other people's herb after putting it thru the PD? Mine is coming out very green unlike the vriptech heat gun setup which give the herb a slight brown colour.
Mine was VERY green at first, even after 5+ hits.

Strangely enough though, after a couple of days of use, it's getting darker and now comes out a complete even brown, no revapping needed.

I don't know whether it's the technique or whether the screens caking up (slowing air flow) is doing it... but I like it :D
Cheers for the info Chubba...I did notice this morning that the spent herb was a looking a little browner after leaving the unit on all night. Maybe there is a "run in" period for the heating element before it reaches peak temp?

Do you leave your PD on all the time? 24/7?

darcey,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Yep, 24/7.

Make sure you get any herb out that drops in... if you leave that overnight plugged in it eventually bakes :)

Chubba,

max

Out to lunch
darcey said:
Well I'm very happy with the unit after putting it thru its paces last night... :D

one quick question....How green is other people's herb after putting it thru the PD? Mine is coming out very green unlike the vriptech heat gun setup which give the herb a slight brown colour.
It should not be green and you shouldn't have to leave it on for 24 hrs. either to reach the proper temp. Usually only leaf material (which you shouldn't have much of, with decent herb) is hard to brown. And I get the same results from my PD that's only been plugged in 45 min. as I do from the one that's been on 24/7 for a month (yes, that's A/B comparison too). I don't know your vapor experience, but for good PD results, make sure your herb is dry, pretty fine in consistency, and don't hit it hard (so you don't drop your temp with too much cold air).

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
darcey said:
Chubba said:
Mine was VERY green at first, even after 5+ hits.

Strangely enough though, after a couple of days of use, it's getting darker and now comes out a complete even brown, no revapping needed.

I don't know whether it's the technique or whether the screens caking up (slowing air flow) is doing it... but I like it :D
Cheers for the info Chubba...I did notice this morning that the spent herb was a looking a little browner after leaving the unit on all night. Maybe there is a "run in" period for the heating element before it reaches peak temp?

Do you leave your PD on all the time? 24/7?
Hey, congrats on your PD. I personally don't leave mine on 24/7 - I only use mine late at night after my responsibilities are fulfilled and I can chill. Not sure I want to integrate vaporizing with the day to day, although some people can do that. Although I've been told that this is incorrect, I want to keep my PD running for as many years as possible so there's a sense of wanting to unplug it when not in use. 45 minute warm up time is fine. There are several factors at play here and sometimes I get better vapor than other times. The extent to which it's dried and ground and if the screen needs to be cleaned. And of course the breathing, that is the key learning curve. I've had my PD for about a year and I'm totally very happy with it and I wouldn't have known about it if not for this obscure little site. Jeff

jeffp,

sethhobrin

Guys I need some assistance.

I have a purple days that I leave on 24/7 for the past 5 months or so. It still functions properly however the middle metal piece(heat exchanger?) seems to be loose. It can rotate and there is couple millimeters between the metal heat exchanger and the little washer thing that I think holds it in place.

If you shake the unit you can hear the heat exchanger bouncing up and down inside of the wood whereas it used to never make a sound and used to feel solid.

The unit still seems to be functioning properly but I am concerned that this problem will get worse. Something to be worried about? Any have any ideas?

sethhobrin,

spyder

I wouldn't be worried....

There is just a stack of star lock washers under the flat washer with the snap ring

so when you are shaking it ...they are just rattling.

You might just need to press the top washer and snap ring down to tighen things up

but to be 100% sure you could would check with Tom... OH wait!!! Where did you buy it??

spyder,

baikal

How many of you use the you car adaptor with the PD? I have never had an occassion. Is the consensus that they should operate at the same temp, or it more common to experience an increase or decrease in vap temps?

baikal,

max

Out to lunch
sethhobrin said:
If you shake the unit you can hear the heat exchanger bouncing up and down inside of the wood
The exchanger doesn't bounce. Noise you hear from shaking/spanking the PD has been addressed in this thread by Tom.

baikal said:
How many of you use the you car adaptor with the PD?
I've used it a few times. It's supposed to run a little hotter in the car, since the voltage is a little higher (about 14V). No big deal.

max,

sethhobrin

PD was purchased directly through Tom like 6 months ago.

The only reference I read in this thread regarding a little piece of soder coming loose and falling out. It is definately not something like that. The entire heat exchanger rotates underneath the ring washer thing that is on top of it but the washer seems to be secure. I didn't want to mess with it until I got a better idea of what was going on.

sethhobrin,

spyder

max said:
sethhobrin said:
If you shake the unit you can hear the heat exchanger bouncing up and down inside of the wood
The exchanger doesn't bounce. Noise you hear from shaking/spanking the PD has been addressed in this thread by Tom.
Don't make him search for...tell him at least the page number if not the actually post number

spyder,

lwien

spyder said:
max said:
sethhobrin said:
Don't make him search for...tell him at least the page number if not the actually post number
And the assumption is that Max knows the page number or the actual post number?

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
spyder said:
max said:
sethhobrin said:
Why should I? You think I get paid for this or something? I've read the entire thread more than once and have no idea what page the info is on.

sethhobrin said:
The entire heat exchanger rotates underneath the ring washer
If there's that much movement contact Tom - Info@purple-days.com. There should be a little play, but that doesn't sound right.

lwien said:
And the assumption is that Max knows the page number or the actual post number?
Thank you. :/

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
spyder said:
but to be 100% sure you could would check with Tom... OH wait!!! Where did you buy it??
He bought it five months ago, long before the ebay thing came up.

And why don't you find the post number for the rattling in the unit?

You have a habit of being a dick in about 2/3 of your posts.

stickstones,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Hey Tom...would leaving the PD on 24/7 be more or less advantageous regarding the life of the power supply?

stickstones,

spyder

stickstones said:
spyder said:
He bought it five months ago, long before the ebay thing came up.

And why don't you find the post number for the rattling in the unit?

You have a habit of being a dick in about 2/3 of your posts.
How is that being a dick??

you gonna make the kid search through 3000 post..... if you saw and recommend something... good chance you remember where it was and what it says ...making easier for you to track it down and share where it is

at least give him a clue where it might be.... sounds like.... starts with... kinda like charades

FYI... ebay has been around longer than 5 months...it just didn't come up

another FYI.... I have seen PD out there is the past... maybe even 5 months ago :D

spyder,

lwien

spyder said:
you gonna make the kid search through 3000 post..... if you saw and recommend something... good chance you remember where it was and what it says ...making easier for you to track it down and share where it is
Not true. I can remember things being said in a long-assed thread without having ANY idea where it was or how to guide someone to a specific post, ESPECIALLY one as long as the PD thread.

Spyder, I have no idea about your history here, but I gotta tell ya, it sure as hell seems like you have some kind of axe to grind. It's more of HOW you say what you say rather than what you say. Some unresolved issues with Tom or the mods here possibly? Don't know, but it's just something I'm picking up on.

lwien,

ILoveRadiohead!

stickstones said:
Hey Tom...would leaving the PD on 24/7 be more or less advantageous regarding the life of the power supply?
Those Jameco power supplies Tom uses are made to last a looooong time. If the Jameco transformer got hot during use you could then start to argue the merits of unplugging vs. leaving it in all the time but the size Jameco that comes with the PD isn't going to get hot.

Something that could possibly affect life expectancy in a positive way would be plugging the unit into a surge protector or power conditioner but really the Jameco is pretty rugged unit so neither of those options are necessary.

ILoveRadiohead!,

Purple-Days

I'll explain how the heat exchanger is mounted first then a couple of fixes.

Inside the top 1" hole is a 1" stainless steel sleeve (that you can't see). The top disk of the Heat Exchanger sits directly on that sleeve. That top disk is just a fraction under 1" to allow for expansion and contraction due to heating. Over the top disk is a plated,spring steel clip. It sandwiches the top disk in place and allows for the slight expansion and contractions of the top disk. If it was all rock solid and tight, the expansion would split the wood.

But it should not be noticeably loose. Two approaches to fixing this.

1) A DIY that most folks find easy. Set the PD on a solid surface. Using a flat bladed screw-driver and something to tap it, rest the blade on the clip and give it a few whacks around it's perimeter.

2) If this doesn't fix it or if you feel uncomfortable doing this, we can re-seat the clip or install a new one.

Purple-Days
PO box O
Port Orford, OR 97465

Spyder, Your continued comments about E-bay and his possible warranty issues show something. You have an agenda it seems. Always have had. You don't like the Purple-Days, you never have. That has been clear for a very long time, and that's OK. Everybody has different preferences. Now you have found what you think is a problem, it is not, and you continue to beat the dead horse. Trying to convince legitimate buyers that they may have warranty issues. I know where he bought it, he knows where he bought it. You are just trying to stir something up again. Just tell us why and be done with it.

Purple-Days,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I have to admit, I could never go back to using just the vapor stems now after attaching ~1.5 foot of SSV tubing to the stem.

A must try! The vapor is exceptionally cool even with this tiny addition. Also my bowls are never falling out now, even when placed upside down, so it's actually turned 100% hands free... I can vape and type with both hands :ninja:

Can't wait to add a GG adaptor + bong.

Chubba,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I have to admit, I could never go back to using just the vapor stems now after attaching ~1.5 foot of SSV tubing to the stem.
I've been using a PD daily for almost a year and feel the opposite. For me, adding tubing borders on defeating the purpose of the PD's short vapor path and complicates a simple process. The stock tubes provide very enjoyable, mild hits with 'proper' usage, imho.

Just another opinion, but I had to put it out there after the recent wave of newish PD owners getting excited about tubing. :2c:

vtac,

lwien

vtac said:
I've been using a PD daily for almost a year and feel the opposite. For me, adding tubing borders on defeating the purpose of the PD's short vapor path and complicates a simple process. The stock tubes provide very enjoyable, mild hits with 'proper' usage, imho.

Just another opinion, but I had to put it out there after the recent wave of newish PD owners getting excited about tubing. :2c:
Yup, and adding tubing would lessen the efficiency a bit due to condensation, eh. But for someone who's lungs are really heat sensitive, it seems like a good fix.

lwien,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Personally i reccomend the mouth bong technique if the pd is irritating you, i thought it was all a bunch of bull because i could not for the life of me figure out how they did it. Upon taking my first sucessfull hit i realized what it was all about.

Highly reccomended.

Survivalism,

darcey

max said:
It should not be green and you shouldn't have to leave it on for 24 hrs. either to reach the proper temp. Usually only leaf material (which you shouldn't have much of, with decent herb) is hard to brown. And I get the same results from my PD that's only been plugged in 45 min. as I do from the one that's been on 24/7 for a month (yes, that's A/B comparison too). I don't know your vapor experience, but for good PD results, make sure your herb is dry, pretty fine in consistency, and don't hit it hard (so you don't drop your temp with too much cold air).
Hey max,

thanks for your info...:)

I have left the PD on since my last post (two days?) and i have noticed the herb is getting browner, producing bigger hits...:D Not sure if needed a "run in" but its working 100%...Love this little unit!

Been vaporizing for about 7 years now...actually started off with an original Eterra from Bob at Greenheat many moons ago! Sadly it was damaged by a friend so I moved to a Vriptech heatgun setup abd have been using it for the last 4 years.

The herb i was using was chopped very finely but might not have been dry enough. I have started chopping it the night before and leaving to dry during the day.

jeffp said:
Hey, congrats on your PD. I personally don't leave mine on 24/7 - I only use mine late at night after my responsibilities are fulfilled and I can chill. Not sure I want to integrate vaporizing with the day to day, although some people can do that. Although I've been told that this is incorrect, I want to keep my PD running for as many years as possible so there's a sense of wanting to unplug it when not in use. 45 minute warm up time is fine. There are several factors at play here and sometimes I get better vapor than other times. The extent to which it's dried and ground and if the screen needs to be cleaned. And of course the breathing, that is the key learning curve. I've had my PD for about a year and I'm totally very happy with it and I wouldn't have known about it if not for this obscure little site. Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Cheers mate, I'm really stoked with this little unit!

I must admit i am learning how to hit the PD after 4 years of a vriptech fan forced bong hits... Just means i have to practice, practice, practice :p Thanks again for the info, i might try disconnecting the PD tonight and a cold 45min warm up tomorrow...

darcey,
Top Bottom