Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Yep dry herb is very important in this device.

Leaving finely chopped herb out overnight works wonders.

My personal favourite though is to load up another bowl at the end of the session. The bowl therefor dries out due to the heat stored in it from the previous session.

Chubba,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Survivalism said:
Personally i reccomend the mouth bong technique if the pd is irritating you, i thought it was all a bunch of bull because i could not for the life of me figure out how they did it. Upon taking my first sucessfull hit i realized what it was all about.

Highly reccomended.
This was all I needed to make this the perfect vape for me. I can see tubing would have cooled it down enough for me as well, but then it will need a cleaning someday. Besides, there's something cool about hitting a vape and finishing it off with a swig of nice water that might have a little thc in it!

stickstones,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
vtac said:
I have to admit, I could never go back to using just the vapor stems now after attaching ~1.5 foot of SSV tubing to the stem.
I've been using a PD daily for almost a year and feel the opposite. For me, adding tubing borders on defeating the purpose of the PD's short vapor path and complicates a simple process. The stock tubes provide very enjoyable, mild hits with 'proper' usage, imho.

Just another opinion, but I had to put it out there after the recent wave of newish PD owners getting excited about tubing. :2c:
I hear what you're saying about the deliberate short vapor path, I'm personally happy that I got the tubing; it's inexpensive fun and interesting experiment.
i didn't use it last night though but i haven't experienced any negatives with it and the hands free aspect is nice. For just a few dollars I would not discourage anyone from getting it although i could go either way but i don't see myself using it as a constant.

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
darcey said:
Been vaporizing for about 7 years now...actually started off with an original Eterra from Bob at Greenheat many moons ago! Sadly it was damaged by a friend so I moved to a Vriptech heatgun setup abd have been using it for the last 4 years.
7 yrs? Wow. You make me feel like a beginner. :lol:

How do you feel the PD compares to its inspiration, the Eterra?

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
stickstones,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
stickstones said:
max said:
FYI-Anyone wanting multiples of the exact same AC adapter that Tom supplies (bedroom, bathroom, whatever) can get 'em from Jameco for about $10 each for 3 (two would be under $12 each).

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=10001&pa=10081&productId=10081&keyCode=PDF

If you want just one, Tom's price may be the best you'll find. It surely is if you buy an extra when you get your PD-only $10 with any kit.
Just did this max...thanks for the link!
Funny I was just thinking maybe not a bad idea to get an extra one since I'm probably not the only vaporist who stumbles on the cord, but never prior to a vape session.
By the way the extra muslin bags i ordered on ebay came today - very nice, not quite as nice as the one Tom sends with the PDs (his have better pull cords) but very cheap - the seller threw in a few extra.

jeffp,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
yup...I ordered two of them since my adapter crapped out on me a couple weeks ago. Not sure why, but I may start plugging them into a surge protector as someone suggested, since I like to leave mine on 24/7.

stickstones,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
stickstones said:
yup...I ordered two of them since my adapter crapped out on me a couple weeks ago. Not sure why, but I may start plugging them into a surge protector as someone suggested, since I like to leave mine on 24/7.
mine is connected to a surge protector mainly as an extension so it's closer to my sofa but it's absolutely a good idea. i'm with you on maintaining extra accessories for the PD as we'd like to keep our prized vapes in working order for the long term. when i think about what i consider my "prized possessions" there's my vintage strat, a few other things, and the PD.
i was thinking that aside from the fact that it works great, the fact that it's wood and a work of art in its own right, it has a sense of aliveness to it and i feel a personal connection to it even though it's an object.

jeffp,

darcey

max said:
darcey said:
Been vaporizing for about 7 years now...actually started off with an original Eterra from Bob at Greenheat many moons ago! Sadly it was damaged by a friend so I moved to a Vriptech heatgun setup abd have been using it for the last 4 years.
7 yrs? Wow. You make me feel like a beginner. :lol:

How do you feel the PD compares to its inspiration, the Eterra?
Lol?it has been a long time :lol:

Its a bit hard to compare the two Max given its been 4 odd years since i last plugged the Eterra in...

From memory i do think the Eterra was a little hotter then the PD as it seemed to brown the herb from day 1...but it hard to say as I don't think i'm using the PD to its full potential (not getting a lot of browning or the vapor clouds that you fellows manage in the youtube clips)

Need to pull my spare room apart on the weekend and see if i can find the Eterra, might pull it apart and see if its fixable...It was lent to a friend who returned it broken, doesn't stop heating anymore....just gets hotter and hotter, turning the herb black :(

darcey,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
for better PD hits I would plug in a loaded stem and let it sit for 30-90 seconds. It lets the bowl heat up and gives you larger hit. also crispy dry nuggets help as well

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hennessy1414 said:
for better PD hits I would plug in a loaded stem and let it sit for 30-90 seconds. It lets the bowl heat up and gives you larger hit. also crispy dry nuggets help as well

Right I do that intuitively and close the mouthpiece end with my fingertip, I agree that this seems to make a difference.

As far as the draw strength, would you advise inhaling with force right below the point where it starts to whistle or a bit less?

jeffp,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
JeffP~ You have to slowly build the temperature of your hit. you slowly start to suck gently increasing your hit speed to the point of a steady normal draw. Just like you said its good to hit it to the point of just whistling.

I judge it by the flavors/temps in my mouth to get a good hit

(p.s. jeffp...ya don't have to quote what I said one post up. just quote a line I said or just put my name at the beginning of what you say so I know who your directing your words towards....we really need to condense these threads. 121 pages....:o)

Hennessy1414,

jklasd

hen, i dont think the amount of words would matter, its the amount of posts per page.
but thats a good tip, ive kinda been keeping it at the same draw speed, never incresed it as i keep hitting it. then again, i rarely use the pd itself anymore. love those pd bong rips haha.

jklasd,

The_Algebraist

A batch of herb that I recently vaped through the PD produced little to no visible vapor, though I sure as shit felt it. This new batch I'm working on produces THICK clouds. I dried both batches out to the same crispness and found it curious that the earlier batch would only produce very light, wispy visible vapor on the first draw, then nothing on subsequent pulls. Obviously the type of herb you're vaping also affects the visible-vapor factor. Perhaps the current batch simply has a higher concentration of THC etc.

The_Algebraist,

sethhobrin

Purple-Days said:
I'll explain how the heat exchanger is mounted first then a couple of fixes.

Inside the top 1" hole is a 1" stainless steel sleeve (that you can't see). The top disk of the Heat Exchanger sits directly on that sleeve. That top disk is just a fraction under 1" to allow for expansion and contraction due to heating. Over the top disk is a plated,spring steel clip. It sandwiches the top disk in place and allows for the slight expansion and contractions of the top disk. If it was all rock solid and tight, the expansion would split the wood.

But it should not be noticeably loose. Two approaches to fixing this.

1) A DIY that most folks find easy. Set the PD on a solid surface. Using a flat bladed screw-driver and something to tap it, rest the blade on the clip and give it a few whacks around it's perimeter.

2) If this doesn't fix it or if you feel uncomfortable doing this, we can re-seat the clip or install a new one.

Purple-Days
PO box O
Port Orford, OR 97465

Spyder, Your continued comments about E-bay and his possible warranty issues show something. You have an agenda it seems. Always have had. You don't like the Purple-Days, you never have. That has been clear for a very long time, and that's OK. Everybody has different preferences. Now you have found what you think is a problem, it is not, and you continue to beat the dead horse. Trying to convince legitimate buyers that they may have warranty issues. I know where he bought it, he knows where he bought it. You are just trying to stir something up again. Just tell us why and be done with it.
Tom your dedication and kindness knows no limits! I would have contacted you directly however I know how busy you are and figured those here could help me(as I knew it was not a sodder problem).

I suspected that the top spring clip that looks like a horseshoe just somehow loosened up and lifted just a tad higher which is what is allowing the top disk of the heat exchanger to rotate side to side(a little) as well as bounce up and down slightly. I just didn't want to start whacking it around until I was sure how to repair.

I will attempt to tap the top spring clip down a bit. I am certain this will resolve the issue. This has had no impact on the functioning of the unit.

As a followup I just wanted to tell everyone here that I originally bought this for a friend who used it for several months for medical purposes. He passed away a few weeks ago. I am certain this little device eased his passing and made his final days less painful. I can't thank you enough Tom and Pammy. The unit now belongs to me and contains much sentimental value.

I can attest to the quality of craftsmanship of this device. My friend had this thing plugged in 24/7 for many months without any issue whatsoever. Now that I have been using it regularly I amazed every time at it's ease of use and efficiency.

sethhobrin,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
An interesting note I might add.

Now I have added tubing to my PD, I'm able to completely kill a bowl in 1 hit rather then 2 - 3.

Whether this is good or bad, it's all opinions, but you can definitely get a lung splitting hit from this little device.

Makes my PD completely hands free

2m3miw4.jpg

Chubba,

ILoveRadiohead!

Hey Tom, you should take some in-progress pics of the new shop as its going up and post them if you get a chance (or at least the finished product). Sounds like its going to be a really nice upgrade and its awesome you guys are building it yourselves too! :)

ILoveRadiohead!,

NoSmoke

Why are vapor tubes so dang expensive $15 a tube is a lot considering they were 3 for $20 a couple months ago. What was the reason for the huge markup???

NoSmoke,

ILoveRadiohead!

NoSmoke said:
Why are vapor tubes so dang expensive $15 a tube is a lot considering they were 3 for $20 a couple months ago. What was the reason for the huge markup???
There was a discount when you bought more than one tube at a time and another when purchased with a kit. You're comparing a single tube without discounts to buying several with multiple discounts. I'm not sure if vapenow intends on updating their website to add discounts but even $15 is not bad for an accessory that has to be individually hand machined in several parts...takes a lot more man hours than something churned out on a automatic factory line.

It's much cooler IMO knowing that even the vapor tubes are hand crafted and still of such quality and precision.

ILoveRadiohead!,

NoSmoke

I wasnt comparing buying a single tube over a multiple tube. I stated the "old" price for replacment tubes and the "new" price and was wondering why it changed.

NoSmoke,

Purple-Days

The old price was not in line with the amount of time and effort, and material costs that goes into a tube.

The white PP#5 part of the tube requires 14 operations before it can go on to assembly. The Stainlees part gets 6 operations. Screens must be cut. Then Pammy gets the fun part installing those little clips and screens into the stainless tip. After all that they can finally be put together. There is also packaging (envelope costs) and handling (transaction paperwork etc.).

You are also forgetting that Vapenow has to make something off the sale or there would be no point to being in biz.

ILoveRadiohead!, Pammy took a couple of pictures today with a disposable camera. Maybe something will come out. Walls and top plates went up today. still need to sheet three walls, but that should go quickly. Trusses (I built yesterday) go on tomorrow and maybe get the roof sheeted. Pretty good progress. Pammy cut all the studs and the rafter members. Even helped hoist a couple of the walls.

Purple-Days,

ILoveRadiohead!

NoSmoke said:
I wasnt comparing buying a single tube over a multiple tube. I stated the "old" price for replacment tubes and the "new" price and was wondering why it changed.
Oh I didn't see where you mentioned the old price of a single tube without a kit. Just the new single tube price vs an older bulk discount price.

ILoveRadiohead!,
Top Bottom