Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

t00fatt

Tom I think the kit idea is great, even if the price isn't much lower then a fully assembled unit. I know I will be ordering one, also think an impatient friend who ordered an MZ and now is disappointed will order one too. How do you think the wait time will be affected with the kits?

t00fatt,

Purple-Days

Gonna knock the bottom out of the wait list before the kits are offered. Two reasons... Making strides in volume production...
111mqu1.jpg

vzy9ma.jpg

2j28h7b.jpg

And, gonna do some thought about what a kit should be. Geared toward the average handyman? Or toward a higher level of skill? And of course it will require time to write an easy to follow, comprehensive build guide. I will keep my camera very handy and take pics of the steps over the next weeks. Pretty easy to get a lot of info and pics on a disk.

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
That is so totally awesome and awe inspiring; i see this as heathkit for the psychonaut or a post legalization dad and son project.
maybe there could be some option that you can fix it if the builder screws it up, if that's possible.

jeffp,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Wow!! I love seeing all those group shots!! Really just glued to looking at the parts all lined up.... Too cool!

I'm thinking a kit could be something an average handyman could assemble. Then you could also do a 'guts kit' for those that want to try their hand at turning their own block of wood.

I think it is a fabulous idea and even better if there was a way to ship those kits to those countries served easily by Insured International Priority Mail.... I bet I'd hear some people whooping and hollering all the way from down under or to our North :D

I think an instructional disc is a great idea. Might even be cheaper and easier to do like a downloadable e-book/video kind of thing. Files sit on server and as someone purchases the kit they gain access to the files on server or are emailed a copy of files. Just a thought as I've bought a more than a few e-books :2c:

Lo,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Purple-Days said:
And, gonna do some thought about what a kit should be. Geared toward the average handyman? Or toward a higher level of skill? And of course it will require time to write an easy to follow, comprehensive build guide. I will keep my camera very handy and take pics of the steps over the next weeks. Pretty easy to get a lot of info and pics on a disk.
You should offer two kits... One for the average handy man, and another for higher skill level. The higher skill level being the cheapest, and the average being a bit more expensive because you put a bit more work into it than the higher skill level one.

DevoTheStrange,

pbmagnet4

Has anybody tried the new whip-rippers? Would you recommend them if i was just going to hold my PD straight to my EHLE?

pbmagnet4,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Damn it! A kit would be just so damn fun..... :o

I think I shall become a crazy PD collector. Buy one a year for the next 15 years and just stack PD's sky high. Wow. Then the idea of a kit? Always did glue together those airplanes and battleships as a kid. Am I truly crazy to think that there is no limit to how many PD's I'd like to have?

IAmKrazy2,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Turning the body isn't really possible by yourself unless you have a lathe. The finishing sanding could be done at home and soldering and assembley. I think I'd have alot of gradification in assebling my own. I think that's an awesome idea with the kit and would buy one for sure.

I honestly don't think I could function with out it. Mines used multiple times everyday and can't imagine anything without it. Nothing like coming outta class to a warm pd to warm my hands. It was a high of 10 today. I love winter!!

minnesnowta,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
minnesnowta said:
I honestly don't think I could function with out it. Mines used multiple times everyday and can't imagine anything without it. Nothing like coming outta class to a warm pd to warm my hands. It was a high of 10 today. I love winter!!
Exactly how i feel. Only had mine maybe 2/3 months but i couldn't imagine going back to a time without it.

Happycamper,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
IAmKrazy2 said:
Damn it! A kit would be just so damn fun..... :o

I think I shall become a crazy PD collector. Buy one a year for the next 15 years and just stack PD's sky high. Wow. Then the idea of a kit? Always did glue together those airplanes and battleships as a kid. Am I truly crazy to think that there is no limit to how many PD's I'd like to have?
Just don't buy more PD's than you have outlets in your house!

stickstones,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I've become increasingly fond using my RooR with my PD as of late. Didn't like it when I first tried it. But now it has grown on me. The more I use it though, the more I want a set of whip rippers. The only time I have issues with the length of the tubes is when I use them with my bong.
But I did get a new PD accessory as a gift, girlfriend got me a billy bowl... so my want for new PD accessories has currently been satiated..... for now :D

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

Glad folks are liking the PD kit idea. I'm thinking it should be a turned and bored body too. Not everyone has a lathe and the Forstner bits aren't in every toolbox either. Heat exchanger assembly is pretty straight forward, unit assembly, soldering, sanding, finish etc. are within the realm of handyman. But a head start, bored body, prepped Heat Exchanger tube, prepped vapor tips, bored vapor tubes (unshaped), these would assure success, but leave plenty of room for a rewarding experience.

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
This is a very honorable thing that you're doing, conceptualizing kits, and one side benefit of this is that it will put a stop to the counterfeiters.

jeffp,

t00fatt

Tom that sounds like a perfect kit to me. Like you said, not many of us have access to a lathe. A lathe is about the only machine I don't have in my shop. And I think most people should be able to handle the HE assembly, which I think would be the most intimidating task for a less experienced hobbyist. I personally can't wait to get a kit, I have been dieing to get intimate with my PD internals.

t00fatt,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Yup. That's exactly what I invisoned with the kits. Make the handyman do the time consuming stuff. It would take some of work off of your hands and still give people the gradification of doing it. I'm an engineering cad major so I love tinkering with things and would enjoy assembling my own.

Seems like a great idea let's see if it plays out. If you ever need a beta tester I know you wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd gladly participate. :cool:

minnesnowta,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
:):):) the more I think about it , the more I like the idea , I take greater pleasure in things that I have built or modded myself , I fix my own stuff when it come to mechanics and electronics , a pd would be a rewarding pleasure to assemble , cant wait to see this develop :):):)

Samsquanch,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Sounds like this is coming together nicely! I think the idea is great and can't wait to see how proud folks are that they've assembled it themselves :D

Lo,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
A kit would be quite cool. To be honest I'd be afraid of not being able to put it together though :ko:

Tom I've been wondering this for a while now, what would you say is the craziest wood you've used for a PD? (Define "craziest" however you like, ha)

sneezyjesus,

Purple-Days

Macasser Ebony takes the cake, hard as a rock. the dust irritates your skin and the smoke from working the wood is like habenero peppers in hot grease, unbearable. :evil: Cocobolo is similar but not quite as intense.

Doing final assembly today on a bunch so I'm packing the camera.
501nih.jpg

Secured with stainless steel screws, and twisted tight before solder.
Good pictures should make kit assembly pretty straightforward.

Purple-Days,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Tom, do you have any idea how much time you would save per unit doing this? I think it is a great idea and would probably work well if you get it to the point where the end user needs no tools other than what is usual and customary in a household. Also, are the chances for a defective unit going out in a kit higher than when put together by you? I'm thinking maybe when you put units together you might need to tweak them occassionally for defects in the first processes. Then again, maybe you have this down pat and rarely encounter those kinds of slowups.

imo, a kit would be fun!

stickstones,

Purple-Days

I test every resistor, jack, wall wart, and car cord already, the wiring and soldering are simple, but I wouldn't say just cause you can screw in a lightbulb you can do this. Like a Heathkit of old, you probably better have a basic understanding of soldering and (woodworking in this case). No guarantee that folks will know their own limitations. :2c:

Purple-Days,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Heathkits were cool ... i did quite a few: shortwave receiver, morse code keyer, 2 meter transceiver ("Benton Harbor Lunchbox"), SB100 (went to college with me one year, although i was right next door to W1MX), and the last was an 80w FM/AM stereo receiver - that took about 80 hours to assemble. All were very excellent kits.

Hippie Dickie,
Top Bottom