Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Mrmm.. gimme a minute I'll go test with a regular stem and the cut stem... I dont think it has anything to do with the length of the tube really, only relative to how tightly I pack the bowl.. I use the straw method and just brush off whatever is sticking out of the bowl to ensure good flow, I dont even tamp it in a little with my finger... no need to worry about it falling into the PD as the whole unit is upside-down, lol. I usually tamp it down while using the PD as intended though.

aznfknpride,

NoSmoke

Ill try that, I usually pack it lightly but then tap it down with my finger, I'm gonna try that method. Thanks!

NoSmoke,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Yup... normal stem doesn't make it hit any different, just a little more awkward to hold/hit lol.

If it makes any difference, I dont grind my bud super fine... helps with the flow a bit too.

aznfknpride,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Yeah, definitely try to leave bigger pieces in there.. smaller particles block the screen a lot easier from my experience, leading to the "milkshake effect" you were talking about. I'd pass out after every hit from the lack of oxygen to my brain trying to take bongrips like that :lol:

I need a whip ripper kit and 3 more 18>14 bushing adapters, it would be perfect to line em up for consumption in quick succession!

aznfknpride,

NoSmoke

Yeah I like doing that, pack 3 tubes, take 1 giant bong rip off each, sit back and enjoy the vakeness, time for my first sesh of the day :p

NoSmoke,

Purple-Days

Well, I always thought it would happen someday. A PD knock off.

Stainless steel heat exchanger with fins, RoHS compliant, Lead Free, Hardwood body, toxin free :buzz: bee's wax finish etc... Figured it would come from China. Sorta embarrassing that an American would do this. :disgust:

Hey,at least they didn't copy our logo. :rolleyes:

When I built the PD it was because:
1) The Aromazap was using Leaded Brass and Bronze parts, not acceptable for my family.
2) The Aromazap was using non-RoHS electronics, not acceptable for my family.
3) The Aromazap was using a softwood body, only hardwoods were acceptable to me (I was the first to use Myrtlewoood BTW)
4) The Aromazap used a simple heat exchanger geometry that I felt could be much improved with fins and 5 heat sinks and tighter tolerances to improve performance.
5) The Aromazap was square and hard to hold for my wife. We used a round design from the start.
6) The Aromazap used a big, surface mount LED, too big, too bright.
7) After making repairs to Aromazap wiring (that had fallen apart) I thought I could do a better, sturdier design (including a diode bridge, and later improvements).

While I used some of the concepts that Rick had copied from Eterra, a simple copy of the Eterra/Aromazap was not something I would ever ponder. I am just not built that way. I don't do rip-offs. Wasn't raised that way.

Some folks have asked for info on building the PD. My big concern was a copy with less than acceptable parts, a step backward into non-RoHS electronics and Leaded Brass.

Some folks even asked about a kit. Or instructional DVD video.

Both will be available soon, make your own PD with parts that you can see and trust.

Why settle for a knock off? :whip:

Purple-Days,

lwien

Yup. As stated in http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1744&p=2 Post #42.

Taking a pre-existing product and improving upon it is one thing. Taking a pre-existing product and just flat out copying it is quite another.

I know that many of you stated, "Hey, he's just making it for some sick friends", but that's obviously not the case and I doubt that it ever was.

Yes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, that is, until you want to capitalize from it, for then it goes from flattery to just another blatent knock-off.

At least do something to set it apart so it can stand on it's own rather than sharing PD's shadow.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I'm not emotionally involved in this but I have to agree with you lwien; as I reflect on what I would do, or what most people would do, regarding a sick friend in need of a vape.
I would just buy them one. PD's are obviously great but there's other very good vapes on the market that can be had within a week of ordering, and there's craigslist and ebay for the frugal minded - so the wait period for the patient is really a non issue. yeah i do agree with you.

jeffp,

rayski

Hey! I've been looking for a franchise opportunity. You'd have complete control and there would be a smaller market for Knock-offs. Roy Kroc did well that way.

rayski,

pbmagnet4

Purple-Days said:
No secret handshake. ;)
Omg hahaha, I wonder what a FC secret handshake would be like!? (Should make one :lol:)

On another note; Tom i can not bring myself to understand why would someone purchase a knock-off PD to begin with? Using very basic observations around FC, one can tell that you are indeed a skilled craftsmen wither you will admit it or not. I could only infer that this person who copied you is just trying to make a quick buck off the market that doesn't want to wait for their PD. I will admit ive been waiting since Oct. 7, but that is understandable for a quality product... Patients truly is a virtue, and i almost feel sorry for the first to order the knock-off PD. You have gone through your trial and error Tom, and i believe that a skill such as craftsmanship can only be acquired through time and practice. That is why i belive that the new knock-off PD wont be an initial success :/.

pbmagnet4,

The_Other_Shoe

What's Going On?
Its funny, 2 almost 3 months ago when I placed my order this was completely not an issue. But I have to agree with the previous poster. Knowing I could get a similar product faster, would not prompt me to ditch my craving for a PD. Now after all this time waiting, I still hold the same belief. It's unfortunate that a situation like this would arise, but it is not too surprising. From the posts in the availability thread, looks like I could be getting my unit pretty damn soon. Super excited. Well, I am off.

The_Other_Shoe,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
This could end up being a good thing.

What if knockoffs lessen the demand (that is already higher than Tom ever wanted) and get things to where those who want to be a part of the family can once again order directly from Tom and experience his personal touches?

Imagine a world where those who want it now and cheap can get it from knockoffs, but those that want a personal touch with excellent craftsmanship can join the PD family!

I don't think any number of knockoffs will put Tom out of business...ordering from him was half the fun.

stickstones,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
... and continues to be, when you're in a "please sir, may I have another" state of mind.

jeffp,

Purple-Days

We are trying very hard to eliminate the long waiting list and hope to get there some day. :whip:

New tools fresh in the shop, others on the way... Building lots of one one item at a time, is another way to maximize effort. So, we have 15 PDs (normal lot) nearly finished and 48 bodies turned and bored and taped, ready to assemble, and 72 heat exchangers (made yesterday and today). Economy of scale.

We will get the waiting period under control, but it takes time. Health and family issues of the last few months have messed with us, but we will bounce back now that things are more normal and I can see again... :cool:

Folks seem to like construction pics.
w8p7cw.jpg

304 Stainless Steel (bright finish) flat washers
and 304 Stainless Steel (Black Oxide finish) external fin lock washers.
We wash all metal parts, when they arrive, in hot soapy (Dawn dish detergent) water.
2lk6ur7.jpg

304 Stainless tubing is cut to length, ends are ground, ends are de-burred,
crossbar hole drilled, hole burrs removed and upper section polished,
lower section flared, tubes washed in hot soapy water (we use oils while drilling and flaring, washed away...)
smqfb7.jpg

Top disks get 2 holes and a deburr operation, then washed in
hot soapy water (we use oil while drilling, washed away...)
rab2mp.jpg

The fun part... like skittles... these are the first 12 Black Oxide fins
to radiate heat to the air-stream just before it turns up the pipe.
They are also the extra 12 fins that weren't in the original 60 fin (bright finish) design.
6yzlvd.jpg

And the beat goes on...
330wj2p.jpg

Some stacked tubes in the background. Finished foreground. Final lock washer and top washer placed, Stainless Steel crossbar inserted, stack tensioned.
2cp2t8n.jpg

Washed and dried. Ready for final inspection and assembly.

Purple-Days,

Durden

I am Jack's title
Let them keep making as many knockoffs as they want, then maybe someday I can get a custom PD with wooden stems :D .

Small tragedy for me over thanksgiving, my sister enjoyed the PD so much that she has officially snagged it from me. :o

Nice pictures!

Durden,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
awesome pictures Tom... I know what its like too mass produce things in large quantities. I make Tattoo Needles in large groups, instead of making them as I need them. Makes me go cross-eyed. I'd more than likely have fun assembling something like your product than making more needles.

DevoTheStrange,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Tom posted the same pic's in the availability thread... Glad they got moved here. Very cool.

IAmKrazy2,

Purple-Days

I mentioned the PD knock off above. ;)

Check the integrity meter on this one... :cool:

Here is the funniest rip-off of all. :2c:

mcg677.jpg

This is the official picture of a Woodeez from the Woodeez site.
Funny go save the picture, on his website, it saves as purpledays. :lol:
Wanna know why, cause it is a Tea Tree Purple-Days. :tup:

Here is a bit of an e-mail from Todd. "It was purchased on ebay from a person who was selling it for need of money. I got a tea tree and paid..."

What a fuckin' joke.

Here is a screen shot of the Purple-Days Tea Tree unit, on the Woodeez webpage for any doubters, or if it suddenly changes.
2ajwc5u.jpg

Purple-Days,

Frickr

Tom i forgot to thank you, the spring clip works great! no more loosening up! no matter how much highendvapes copies you, i know his customer service will never come close to your's and pammy's. your one in a billion tom. its a sad day to see such nice people treated like this.

Frickr,

Purple-Days

98awsy.jpg

Devo says,"Makes me go cross-eyed.". Yes indeed, but it's what it's gonna take to cut into that waiting list.
2r7wk5e.jpg

Listening to Melville's Moby Dick out in the shop. I dig stories while I work, helps pass the time. Available on Librivox.org for free download, a very good narration.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom