PUFFiT portable

Hey guys, just joined because I'm contemplating buying one of these, and I'd like to hear what people think based on my situation.
I'm a student and I always medicate in the car on the way to school, but holding a pipe and lighter while driving isn't something I like doing. So I started looking for vapes that could be charged in the car. I found the Pax Ploom, then this, and because I don't have much money, this appealed to me more. However, when I heard about the plastic taste I decided to wait before ordering. This problem is not new to me, not long ago I bought a toy with the same problem, and some people even threw theirs out, but I kept mine and it no longer has a chemical smell. Assuming the problem is with the black plastic used in the Puffit, and the toy, I think I could tolerate it until is dissipates. So how long did it take for the aroma to disappear?
Anyways to get to the point...
I want a vape that is:
Affordable
Portable
Discreet
Electronically activated - I don't want to have to buy butane all the time
Is this the vape for me, or should I save up for a Ploom(which could take a very long time)?
Sorry for rambling, but thanks for the help guys! :D

The Doctor,

Smashed

So I found out my issue... I had the internal stir tool installed into the cap, but with it inside, both micro-switches (1 in the front and 1 in the back) would not depress at the same time (which is required for operation. Removing the stir tool allows for proper depressing.

Smashed,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I would love to know how they cure the silicone in these devices. The representative mentioned that the smell/taste is coming from improperly cured silicone. Certain types of curing processes can be toxic if they are not complete baked/cured/cooked off. Particularly medical peroxide cured silicone products, which are potentially toxic if improperly cured. I am actually quite concerned about the Toxicity aspect of uncured silicone. Maybe the manufacture can let us know how the silicone they use is cured, and if the improper curing is more of an inconvenience, or a health concern.

Slightly Medicated,
I would love to know how they cure the silicone in these devices. The representative mentioned that the smell/taste is coming from improperly cured silicone. Certain types of curing processes can be toxic if they are not complete baked/cured/cooked off. Particularly medical peroxide cured silicone products, which are potentially toxic if improperly cured. I am actually quite concerned about the Toxicity aspect of uncured silicone. Maybe the manufacture can let us know how the silicone they use is cured, and if the improper curing is more of an inconvenience, or a health concern.
Perhaps people could replace the silicone piece with some copper tubing?

The Doctor,

Smashed

So if you are having a problem depressing the cap for activation and you have the stir tool in, cut off like an eight of an inch from the internal stirrer ring to make it properly fit. Because if it overlaps, it will not properly depress when the cap is on. Below are pictures of the overlap.

cap1t.jpg

cap2yn.jpg

Smashed,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Perhaps people could replace the silicone piece with some copper tubing?

It is not an issue that it is made with silicone. I have no issues with silicone being used when it is properly cured. The issue is that the manufacture did not properly cure the first batch of devices, so depending on how the silicone was cured, it could be potentially toxic. There are several parts in the device that are silicone. There is a inhibitor ring around the bowl, that needs to be squishy so the cap can be depressed and activate the switch. There is also a silicone tube inside the device that acts as the vapor path. Both of those would not really be good candidates for replacement with copper.

Slightly Medicated,
It is not an issue that it is made with silicone. I have no issues with silicone being used when it is properly cured. The issue is that the manufacture did not properly cure the first batch of devices, so depending on how the silicone was cured, it could be potentially toxic. There are several parts in the device that are silicone. There is a inhibitor ring around the bowl, that needs to be squishy so the cap can be depressed and activate the switch. There is also a silicone tube inside the device that acts as the vapor path. Both of those would not really be good candidates for replacement with copper.
Oh ok, I didn't know what the parts were. But you think if I ordered one now that the second batch is out, the smell wouldn't be as bad, and it probably wouldn't be toxic?

The Doctor,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Oh ok, I didn't know what the parts were. But you think if I ordered one now that the second batch is out, the smell wouldn't be as bad, and it probably wouldn't be toxic?

I have no way of knowing if it is really fixed. If they say they fixed the issue, and if they actually did I would consider purchasing one. Personally, I would wait for others to report that the taste is gone before I would purchase.

Slightly Medicated,

OF

I would love to know how they cure the silicone in these devices. The representative mentioned that the smell/taste is coming from improperly cured silicone. Certain types of curing processes can be toxic if they are not complete baked/cured/cooked off.

This is not a secret, in fact the folks that make the stuff are kinda proud of it, tend to brag a lot even. NASA did a bunch of work with outgassing in the Shuttle days as I recall. A search engine should keep you full of things to read, much easier than 'the old days' when we learned this good stuff other ways.

The short of it is it's a polymer, a soup of long molecules that get linked together to 'set' (cure). This usually involves chemical catalysts which is where the rub comes in. Yes, some are toxic. Not surprisingly food grades don't use these chemistries. Normally time and elevated temperatures are used to purge these chemicals out (they migrate through the material), sometimes under vacuum. It tends to be a 'diminishing returns' thing. The last few links form long after most, small amounts of catalysts can be detected with gas chromatographs and the like long after we stop smelling them. The last molecules never leave.

Anyway, no real need to guess about most of this, it's information widely available to those who want to get into it. I'd start with a Google search on 'silicone rubber outgassing' or something?

it probably wouldn't be toxic?

As I just said, if it really is "food grade" there's nothing toxic about it.

Then again, this is China......make that 'shouldn't be anything toxic'.....

OF

VisiblyVaped

I'm trying GV customer service tomorrow, HK shipping is expensive......who knows whatll work out..:/

VisiblyVaped,

yimsta

Just a update. I've been using this almost everyday since I received it mid July.

I'm liking it more with every session and get the best draws from slow and gentle inhaling techniques. I've also cut back on smoking and my level of feeling medicated has increased from when I first started using the puffit. Over time my experience has become better because I understand this unit more. Now something I have to figure is how to clean this thing because it's about time for a screen change and I have 'honey' build up in the vapor path.

yimsta,
Reactions: Jenny

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

Just a update. I've been using this almost everyday since I received it mid July.

I'm liking it more with every session and get the best draws from slow and gentle inhaling techniques. I've also cut back on smoking and my level of feeling medicated has increased from when I first started using the puffit. Over time my experience has become better because I understand this unit more. Now something I have to figure is how to clean this thing because it's about time for a screen change and I have 'honey' build up in the vapor path.

Puffit manufacturer uploaded this cleaning video back on page 53

Click the link below:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/puffit-portable.6072/page-53#post-264675

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

inkoso

great to hear someone is enjoying it, makes me feel more hopeful about mine!

Hey everyone, time for a little update.

Tonight i decided to try and clean the puffit. I followed the video posted here, and i have to say, if you're having troubles with yours, you need to clean it.

I couldn't get a cloud for my life, and i also was getting a terrible plastic taste.

Now, it may be because the bud i'm using now is much higher quality, but i'm getting full clouds, with great taste and only a slight plastic aftertaste that no longer 'coats' my mouth.

If this is how this thing performs consistently, this is a great little vape. Been vaping for 2 years now, and this is awesome (based off this performance). I got satisfying clouds, and TBH, i love the high this thing gives me. Such a relaxing zone. Took 4 puffs so far, and i feel really good. I'd say 3 bowls (which is probably 1.5 normal vape bowls in my Extreme Q) would get me pretty damn good.

Try an clean yours if your not stoked on how it is right out the box, you may be as surprised as i am right now.

Another thing, is to breath very slow. I thought i was pulling slowly, but i slowed it down even more, and it makes the world of a difference.

5 minute edit: okay so, it's definitely won me over. I'm only in my room, but seeing is i have a car charger, and plan on having this thing charging constantly when not in use, this may be the best 130 i've dropped. This while being outdoors/just being able to vape at almost any moment will be so great.

VisiblyVaped

GV has assured me the new units have no issues, I send mine they replace it. They pay shipping too.
Shipping to HK on my dime, after deliberation, was unacceptable.

VisiblyVaped,
Reactions: BoxofRock

JoeKickass

GV has assured me the new units have no issues, I send mine they replace it. They pay shipping too.
Shipping to HK on my dime, after deliberation, was unacceptable.

Really? That seems like a good deal... USPS can ship to China $17 Priority Flat-Rate or $12 First Class for a 1lb package if you decide to take them up on it, pretty affordable.

JoeKickass,

VisiblyVaped

Really? That seems like a good deal... USPS can ship to China $17 Priority Flat-Rate or $12 First Class for a 1lb package if you decide to take them up on it, pretty affordable.
I know, but customs vs domestic....plus since the unit is bad I dont like paying another $20 (tracking, etc) out of principle.
And replace vs refurbish

Edit: I believe andrew is trying to be fair and get the company truly off the ground. A start up company probably doesn't have the resources to resolve this in as timely a manner as GV (a large retailer for this market).
My posts are in no way "bashing" Andrew, the company, or the options given....subliminally or otherwise.

VisiblyVaped,

JoeKickass

I know, but customs vs domestic....plus since the unit is bad I dont like paying another $20 (tracking, etc) out of principle.
And replace vs refurbish

Oh I see, that's great that a US-distributor is taking warranty claims! And inkoso's review is pretty intriguing...

JoeKickass,

VisiblyVaped

Oh I see, that's great that a US-distributor is taking warranty claims! And inkoso's review is pretty intriguing...
Ya know, the pre-order thing, not shipping when they'd say, etc thing irritated me but all in all, GotVape has been good. If they send the label tonight as promised, or even tomorrow, I'll commend them further

If it doesn't taste like silicone and cause nausea (the replacement), I guarantee both GV and PuffIt a few sales from friends of mine waiting to try a "good" batch version..

Hey FC community!

Just ordered the puffit after using my friends' MFLB. It will be my first vape and wanted to just say thanks to guys like dogman for making the decision easier.

Little tip for anyone ordering off of gotvape:
I applied a discount code and got 10% off my order so the puffit was only $125.99

the code is anp10

Good Luck and thanks!

StealthBonger,

VisiblyVaped

Hey FC community!

Just ordered the puffit after using my friends' MFLB. It will be my first vape and wanted to just say thanks to guys like dogman for making the decision easier.

Little tip for anyone ordering off of gotvape:
I applied a discount code and got 10% off my order so the puffit was only $125.99

the code is anp10

Good Luck and thanks!
I hope you enjoy it. I can't say I agree with the choice if it is your only vape and you're just now converting from combustion but if the bugs are worked out it is a nice, stealthy device.

I do strongly recommend a good, affordable desktop like the EQ or Da Buddah. Those can deliver some nice hits

VisiblyVaped,
I hope you enjoy it. I can't say I agree with the choice if it is your only vape and you're just now converting from combustion but if the bugs are worked out it is a nice, stealthy device.

I do strongly recommend a good, affordable desktop like the EQ or Da Buddah. Those can deliver some nice hits

Thanks for the response,

I think it will be a pretty good fit for me. Two of my best friends have MFLB and I chill with them all the time. I just wanted something extremely discrete and portable (living in a dorm). I'm selling my pieces because smoking dosen't seem worth it in so many different ways after seing what I can do with vapor.

Fuck combustion. -SB

StealthBonger,

VisiblyVaped

Thanks for the response,

I think it will be a pretty good fit for me. Two of my best friends have MFLB and I chill with them all the time. I just wanted something extremely discrete and portable (living in a dorm). I'm selling my pieces because smoking dosen't seem worth it in so many different ways after seing what I can do with vapor.

Fuck combustion. -SB
Good attitude to start with.
For dorm living, itll suit you well. My prior recommendations wouldnt.
If you ever have the extra $, get an mflb with their power adapter ........ AMAZING hits from it.

Anyways, keep us all posted how your puffit is when you receive it. Some of us with the first batch are displeased....others are in love.
I'm hoping my replacement unit shuttles me over to the latter group.

Anyways, keep us all posted how your puffit is when you receive it. Some of us with the first batch are displeased....others are in love.
I'm hoping my replacement unit shuttles me over to the latter group.

Yeah I'm hoping I got one from the new batches with the new silicon vapor tube that Andrew was talking about and a decent battery. (read the whole thread..took awhile:popcorn: )

StealthBonger,
Reactions: BoxofRock

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Thanks for the response,

Fuck combustion. -SB
I would almost say save a small water pipe for the puffit, but can they even be run through one? I know my box does decently with my glass, but now that I think about it no one's mentioned using the puffit like that here... thoughts anyone?

Quetzalcoatl,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I am still hopeful that the puffit stuff will get worked out so I can get one. The blue one is still on contest on FB which should have been for you early adopters if you wanted it. Instead of doing that they needed to fix the issues first. If this vape ever works right it will be soooooooooo great on the go.

Has anyone ever had the top fall off and lose there material in there pocket? I was wondering if it would.

Top Bottom