• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

PBW & the Chemistry of Clean

stickstones

Vapor concierge
t-dub...what's your technique for the dishwasher? I just picked up some at a local brew shop (1 lb for $9US) and I want to do that tonight.

Thanks!

stickstones,

Bouldorado

Count me in as a PBW believer. :bowdown:
Something for the chemists: A product with similar ingredients (sodium metasilicate) warns: Do Not Use On Glass. Seemingly because it can leave a hazy film. Wikipedia suggests that the stuff can actually turn into glass under the right conditions.

I find it funny that the product you linked to is "phosphate free", yet it's called TSP (tri-sodium phosphate)... silly marketing :)

Bouldorado,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
t-dub...what's your technique for the dishwasher? I just picked up some at a local brew shop (1 lb for $9US) and I want to do that tonight. Thanks!
If you use a lot of soap tone it down a bit (my brother was in the appliance biz most of his life and he always told me to use half the soap they tell you) and put a tablespoon in the other side of the soap dispenser, if your washer has it, otherwise just mix, worst case just throw it in the bottom. There are directions on the container I believe for cleaning dishwashers, but that is basically what I do. Bon chance mon ami and please report back with your results :)

t-dub,

vape4life

Banned for life
Something for the chemists: A product with similar ingredients (sodium metasilicate) warns: Do Not Use On Glass. Seemingly because it can leave a hazy film. Wikipedia suggests that the stuff can actually turn into glass under the right conditions.

What does this mean? So if PBW is similar does it leave a film and is not supposed to be used on glass? I know one thing i'm experimenting with now are cleaning ELBs with PBW. It works GREAT, and I rinse well with hot water, but i'm wondering if the vapour coming off a freshly cleaned dry elb (empty) is this "film". I've never noticed this before when using ISO, so i'll try that next time and see if I can get vapour from a dry clean elb.

vape4life,

SD_haze

What does this mean? So if PBW is similar does it leave a film and is not supposed to be used on glass? I know one thing i'm experimenting with now are cleaning ELBs with PBW. It works GREAT, and I rinse well with hot water, but i'm wondering if the vapour coming off a freshly cleaned dry elb (empty) is this "film". I've never noticed this before when using ISO, so i'll try that next time and see if I can get vapour from a dry clean elb.
I successfully cleaned my ultra-clogged ELBs with PBW today and can confirm I get no vapor off a cleaned, dry elb.

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
Been doing the same with my MV bowls for weeks and no smell or anything what's however

Roger D,

SD_haze

Instead of using corks & tubing, I was able to clean the hydratube with just a 18mm GonG stopper and some burned hands (buying gloves for next time :argh:)
IASpa.jpg

SD_haze,
Reactions: t-dub

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Instead of using corks & tubing, I was able to clean the hydratube with just a 18mm GonG stopper and some burned hands (buying gloves for next time :argh:)
No glove no love baby :nod: although I kinda MJ it and just use the left one, for thermal & chemical protection, that way the dexterity is preserved in my right hand for removing rubber plugs :)

gloves1.jpg

t-dub,

SD_haze

No glove no love baby :nod: although I kinda MJ it and just use the left one, for thermal & chemical protection, that way the dexterity is preserved in my right hand for removing rubber plugs :)
Was thinking of a hardware store like home depot, but would there be any other type of establishment that would be better for cheap, hot water proof gloves?

Also, is there a specific material to look out for? (That doesn't have to be boiling proof, just steaming hot water)

SD_haze,

SD_haze

SD_haze,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
where are you guys getting these rubber stoppers for your pieces? Home Depot? also, is there a specific size stopper i should get for 14mm and 18mm joints?

i want to get some PBW to wash my glass soon. the hard water build up is slowly starting to eat away at me :uhoh: the rubber stoppers seem like they're a great tool for doing long PBW soaks.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
where are you guys getting these rubber stoppers for your pieces? Home Depot? also, is there a specific size stopper i should get for 14mm and 18mm joints?. i want to get some PBW to wash my glass soon. the hard water build up is slowly starting to eat away at me :uhoh: the rubber stoppers seem like they're a great tool for doing long PBW soaks.
Rubber stoppers both drilled & plain, are readily available in various sizes at your home brew store. #2 plug fits an 18.mm joint . . . for whoever still uses 14? Not sure . . . :\

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
thanks guys. the info that you guys have been sharing has been very insightful, especially from t-dub. i just bought some stoppers and a small amount of PBW online. should get them sometime next week so hopefully this will be the end of the particulates and hard water stains in my pieces.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
This thread is awesome, I'm out of iso and gotta pick up a little canister of PBW from my local home brew shop. I used to brew a lot but never used PBW, I was more a scrub and Star San kinda guy.

Steele Concept,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Yeah. Local brewing store. I called, he had single use and 1 pnd for $8.50. I didn't ask more than that and headed over. I saw this bigger one for $22.50, quick math... substantial savings. So I bought it.

Real nice guy to. Knew more about beer, than anyone I knew. Fascinating stuff to, into the histories and families of different brew masters and such. Correction coming on the facebook page.

EDIT: Here's his correct facebook page. Whole Hog Brewing

Top Bottom