• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

PBW & the Chemistry of Clean

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Dipping the HT in PBW would yield the same results. The downfall i'm noticing is that even after a hot water rinse, once dry I can see some type of residue scale type film of some sort that I don't get with ISO.

I always used ISO until I realized it wasn't helping get rid of water stains from mineral deposits. Recently I started using distilled water and that should alleviate most of my issues.

mvapes,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
p1000560d.jpg

Last cleaning, heavy soiled lab glass. Now I use percarbonate/calgon with a 80/100 proportion (80g+100g).

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Got some PBW in the mail yesterday and now my new bubbler is looking new again after a week of heavy use. No 'shake & break'; no fuss. Love it! Making the cleaning process easy is a huge boon, as it means my glass is going to get cleaned more often. Good look, t-dub.

Can't wait to see how this stuff does at getting 15 years of hard water build-up out of an old dishwasher! I'm giving that a go next weekend.

lreindl

Pacific NW
So should I just pour a scoop into my tube and fill with water? I am also trying to avoid fading my DG logo, would something similar to painters tape help?

lreindl,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Hey Luke, yeah you can mix the powder with hot water right inside your glass if you wish, with the fritt, I like to put the PBW down the male stem, then mix with a flush hose, forcing the mixture up through the fritt. Not sure about the painters tape, seems like it might work, but you might want to test how the tape reacts to PBW exposure first, just to see :)

Here is my second test video, I actually demonstrate cleaning a fritted disc:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Nice video, t-dub. :tup:

Quick question: Are there any materials that cannot be used as a cleaning vessel? I was thinking of using an igloo ice chest to soak some pieces in. It is made of plastic, so I'm curious to know if the plastic might react adversely to the PBW somehow? :shrug:

:peace:

Stu,

John Lewus

I have a crazy idea. Has anyone thought to try vaping through PBW? I was just emptying my glass with the PBW solution and left some in. I breathed in some of it as if I was vaping and it felt and tasted just like plain water. I did not vape through it yet because I have not done enough research on PBW to know if this is a bad idea. It sounds like a bad idea just writing this post but when smelling the solution I can't smell anything but water. Any PBW experts have an opinion on this? It would keep my glass clean all the time :)

John Lewus,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
John, if I may say, this is an extremely bad idea. Don't do it, don't even think about it any more. Forget the idea entirely, please. :nope:

Always rinse well. If you pollute it, dilute it :peace:

Edit, when I use PBW, mixed in glass super-concentrated, it smells like old sweaty socks . . .

sempervirens

I wouldn't do it because I have no info indicating it's safe, but t-dub I'm curious if you have a specific reason that it's unsafe?

sempervirens,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Well, considering that it can cause contact dermatitis if left on the skin, and the fact that its super alkaline, and an oxidizer, and filled with metasilicates, it would seem like a very bad idea. PBW makes a great deck, concrete, glass, dishwasher, just about anything wash, but not a lung wash is my guess? For your reference:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/312/PBW MSDS Sheet.pdf

sempervirens

D'oh! Don't know why I didn't think to check the MSDS. Anyway I just got some in the mail earlier today and will probably give it a go later tonight.

sempervirens,
Reactions: t-dub

GOATPUSSY

^^^ damn right it's a good thing we have these forums. I can imagine seeing it on the front page of my local 'paper right now...

POT KILLS FIRST PERSON EVER!
Last night some dude 'vaped' a small amount of marijuana through dishwashing detergent and dies... Story: page 2-3.

You soooo would've outed us all dude....

John Lewus

^^^ damn right it's a good thing we have these forums. I can imagine seeing it on the front page of my local 'paper right now...

POT KILLS FIRST PERSON EVER!
Last night some dude 'vaped' a small amount of marijuana through dishwashing detergent and dies... Story: page 2-3.

You soooo would've outed us all dude....

There is still time for me to bring down the whole movement. I have lots most ideas :)

SD_haze

So here's a question I don't think I've seen addressed:

I can't clean glass with iso very easily because it requires proper ventilation. For example, I definitely wouldn't want to soak something in iso in a small, closed bedroom.

I'm sure the PBW requires less ventilation, but is any even necessary?
Would it be safe to leave a piece of glass soaking in a PBW solution in a small, closed bedroom?

SD_haze,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
In my experience with my alternative product, I didn't had any noticeable odors coming from the stuff itself, the odors come from what is dissolved so it smells like vaped bud just a bit. Seems safe for me.

Roger D,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
So here's a question I don't think I've seen addressed:

I can't clean glass with iso very easily because it requires proper ventilation. For example, I definitely wouldn't want to soak something in iso in a small, closed bedroom.

Would it be safe to leave a piece of glass soaking in a PBW solution in a small, closed bedroom?
PBW has no volatile vapors, nothing that is flammable or would deprive you of oxygen or be a fume inhalation hazard or anything like that. Again I post for your reference:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/312/PBW MSDS Sheet.pdf

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict

I don't think ventilation is an issue at all. I leave my glass in the sink in the kitchen soaking and have worked right there. I don't really smell anything at all. Of course, I'm not sticking my nose right in there... :D

I've got to say I'm hooked on this stuff. I'm become obsessive about keeping my glass clean. Because I can't set up a flush system (which I think would be the optimum cleaning set up) I count on hot water and a good soak. I've also started heating some water in the microwave (not to the boiling point though) since my tap water doesn't seem to get quite hot enough. I've found the hotter the water, the better the PBW dissolves and seems to activate.

Rezblock is my next purchase. My order goes in tonight. :tup:

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Count me in as a PBW believer. :bowdown:

I had a hydratube on loan that came back with an unsightly ring of hard water buildup. I tried soaks as long as 24 hours with vinegar, pickling vinegar (7% acetic acid instead of 5%... lol desperation), CLR, Oxyclean, as well as the normal resin removers like ISO and salt, acetone, Simple Green, and Grunge Off Super Soaker. Nothing would touch it. I had already grudgingly accepted that it was a permanent stain when I ordered some PBW.

After a 20 minute soak with hot water and about half a teaspoon of PBW it was reduced to a faint ring. I hit it with another 30 minute soak, same amount, and it was gone. Thank you, t-dub and everyone else who's shared their experience. What a fantastic addition to a glass cleaning toolkit. :)

Something for the chemists: A product with similar ingredients (sodium metasilicate) warns: Do Not Use On Glass. Seemingly because it can leave a hazy film. Wikipedia suggests that the stuff can actually turn into glass under the right conditions.

Top Bottom