1. If the Herbalizer was a fortune cookie what would it say? Tell us and win it!
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

PBW & the Chemistry of Clean

Discussion in 'Glass' started by t-dub, Dec 8, 2012.

1. vape4life

vape4life Banned for life

Wow, PBW is absolutely awesome!!! Not only is my hydratube like NEW, my Cloud joint is like NEW now too! There was this stubborn resin ring that ISO just couldn't get out, and I thought I would just have to live with it, well within mins PBW had it all GONE!!! And my ELBs aren't a pain anymore either... at one point I was really re-thinking my Cloud because the ELB mainentance was just too much. But with PBW, it's a piece of cake...just drop them in the same bin as my hydratube. I reuse it everyday so this stuff will last forever...i'm saving huge $$$ over ISO now!

THANKS T-DUB! You are definitely the man!!

Gonna try PBW on the S&B herb mill now and see what happens
    t-dub likes this.
  2. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

How are you applying the PBW to clean your Cloud joint? Are you just swabbing with Q-tips or something?

:peace:
  3. vape4life

Exactly, qtips with Cloud upside down and a paper towel rolled up. It took a few times to get that stubborn resin ring out, but it came out! :)

Also just cleaned the acrylic grinder with a 5 min. soak and a toothbrush and hot water and it's like new too. So now now more ISO and Salt for me. I wonder if my solution of PBW and water will degrade in time with many hydratube baths...it's been going great so far with many baths.
  4. Stu

So you haven't found the need to use a hot solution at all? How many baths have you given so far?

Interesting...:popcorn:

5. vape4life

I used hot water the very first time I made the mix, but I don't think it worked any better than cold. I've given it a bunch of baths, twice today already, now it's just a dip shake and hot water rinse and it's like new...love it.
  6. Stu

How long do you let them soak before rinsing? Sorry for all the questions tonight!

7. vape4life

honestly just a quick dip, but i'm on it like a hawk pretty frequently so the glass doesn't get too bad. The longer the soak, the better the results, but it doesn't need much...totally depends on how dirty your glass is. And my solution may be stronger than normal. Glad to help with my experiences.
    Stu likes this.
  8. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

Has anyone found a price for the 4lb PBW better than $30 free shipping? (ebay)

I've sent out some emails to local home brewery stores but we'll see about that.

With a lot of new glass coming I am slowly working up to ordering PBW and/or rezblock concentrate.
    [​IMG]
    Official thanks-in-advance to t-dub from me :)
    Teedub and t-dub like this.
  9. noserub

noserub The Earl of Indica

This is where I buy PBW...they sell 8lb for $40. It looks like the 4lb would be a wash compared to the ebay deal. I usually order with other brewing supplies, so am not usually concerned about the $7.99 shipping cost...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/powdered-brewery-wash.html

SD_haze I doubt you'll find the 8lb locally in SD. I could never find it the 17 years I lived there and always had to use Northern Brewer. Ballast Point Home Brew Mart will have it, but they usually only have the 1lb from my experience.
  10. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

Found a local place selling 4lb for 28.50 and he said he could get 8lb.
    (1lb for 11.50)

Wonder if it starts losing its luster after a year or two. I'm thinking not, so buying the best deal makes sense.

Here's the link the the SD PBW source if anyone else was interested.
    Tweek likes this.
  11. Tweek

Tweek Well-Known Member

Here in Canada, the cheapest I could find was $40 shipped for 5lbs. That works out to 8 dollars a pound. Not too bad...average price I was seeing online were between 5-15 dollars a pound not including shipping.
  12. icanreadgood

icanreadgood Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if PBW can be used on stems for the MZ or PD? I'm guessing not since it ruined one person's metal grinder in a previous post.

Thanks
  13. noserub

noserub The Earl of Indica

im not sure what those stems are made out of but stainless steel is fine with PBW.
    vape4life likes this.
  14. vape4life

Anodized grinder. I had the same problem with purple power.
  15. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

Well that was a colored coating (or anodized?) on the metal grinder that was taken off.
    Online it's stated that it's OK for aluminum, stainless steel, and people are saying OK to plastics.

Of course I'm not 100%, couldn't hurt to wait for t-dub's blessings :-)
  16. Tstat

Tstat Dead Foot Designs Accessory Maker

I have an old Gear gong that my son had been using for several months to combust out of. He cleaned every now again, but it was disgusting. I soaked in ISO, put it in the dishwasher, etc. Nothing was working on one area. I picked up some PBW at my local brew supply for $12/ pound. I soaked the bong overnight and with a little scrubbing it actually came out perfectly clean! Now it's going to be my hash glass with the Eclipse :)

[​IMG]
    BigDaddyVapor, vape4life and t-dub like this.
  17. t-dub

t-dub Vapor Sloth

Yeah the PBW just took off the finish (anodized finish + alkaline solution = disaster) . . didn't hurt the metal, so if your stems are glass or metal, no finish, you should be fine.
  18. StickyShisha

StickyShisha Well-Known Member

there are instructions on the package for cleaning the inside of a dishwasher with it and for getting stains out if plastic food storage containers.
    vape4life likes this.
  19. mvapes

mvapes Surrounded by the healthy!

Any tips on getting dark marks from long term use in relation to heat? Example - when glass starts to darken from usage near the heat source. like the wand of an ssv? Its totally clean but its stained from long term use.
    sempervirens likes this.
  20. Frederick McGuire

Frederick McGuire Aggressively Loungey

Hitting it with a torch can help.

My gnome had a really dark ring around the tip of the male joint, and the base of the female joint, and when I asked calen, he said it could be burned off.

I cleaned it with ISO, then hit it with my dabbing torch.
    It worked a treat :tup:

I wouldn't recommend it for a routine cleaning, but if you've got baked in marks that ISO/PBW/insert cleaner here can't move, it might be worth a try :)
  21. mvapes

i really want to try the PBW but I worry about labels on pieces. I would hate to see my rooster dissolve on my DG.
  22. 2clicker

2clicker for your health

if you dont do the flush method (tubing to faucet) you should be able to get it done w/out any PBW ever touching the print. you could even use something to mask it off to be 100% certain.

im thinking tape with paper stuck to it... so that the tape adhesive doesnt actually touch the print either, but the tape would seal around the print.
    Roger D likes this.
  23. GOATPUSSY

GOATPUSSY Well-Known Member

Not to derail or anything... I tried to find pbw locally.... with no luck I tried oxiclean. Worked very very well. Any reason I shouldn't be using this? (Until I can find some pbw, of course!)
  24. mvapes

I heard the same about oxy clean - I also spoke with the guys from VXC - they use Simple Green for the HT's and Troi told me it works fabulously. Said they fill a bucket with the simple green and then submerge the used HT's for about 20 minutes then flush them out and they look brand new. I've also used CLR and it made my glass look great.
    GOATPUSSY likes this.
  25. vape4life

Dipping the HT in PBW would yield the same results. The downfall i'm noticing is that even after a hot water rinse, once dry I can see some type of residue scale type film of some sort that I don't get with ISO.
    GOATPUSSY and mvapes like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors