Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNorml

Now last night I ordered from Ploom directly since I believe vapeworld was backordered. I received a confirmation email of shipment, but the tracking link returns an error. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Maybe it's just excitement getting the best of me, I really can't wait to get this bad boy !!

Give it a day for the transmit info to update - it will be there in a day or 2... You'll be happy.

MrNorml,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
So my Pax is my new best buddy! I have tried it on all the settings and for me I think medium or high is the sweet spot for me. So far I have just cleaned it with pipe cleaners and qtips and havent put it in any ISO , but I will probably do that soon. I really like the portability of it.

Can anyone say the average number of sessions on a fresh battery? (toggling between md and high to finish a sesh)

MrNorml

So my Pax is my new best buddy! I have tried it on all the settings and for me I think medium or high is the sweet spot for me. So far I have just cleaned it with pipe cleaners and qtips and havent put it in any ISO , but I will probably do that soon. I really like the portability of it.

Can anyone say the average number of sessions on a fresh battery (toggling between md and high?

Yesterday I ran mine out of juice - wouldn't heat up anymore - after what I sort of recreated to be some 8 or 9 sessions, 1 of which was to show 2 youngsters how us old folk do it with electronics, so I'm thinking between 8 and 9 which is for me a somewhat heavy afternoon's 4 hours to go by...

FYI, just got off the phone with vaporworld and I was told they currently have about 30 onyx pax in stock ready to ship so if your looking I would make it quick before they are gone!

Sonics420

so i got my pax yesterday. and its the best thing ever..

i put in a bowl and started off on medium for my first session.. my sour deez was tasting like some str8 up candy, flavor i never tasted because this is my first time really using a vaporizer.
i had about 2-3 sessions and my battery was still going strong, but i charged anyway. sessions were great and it had me gone.
later that night i had another session but through in some kief.. god damn, lets just say i zoned out and fell asleep after that session lol. my girl hit it too and she was dead asleep before me.

what i do is start on medium with a packed bowl, take a bunch of draws. stir it up and set to high to finish it off.

i love my pax, so glad i pulled the trigger and got it.. now i just gotta sell my other "portable vapes" and ill be good.

so my new pax was acting up... First let me say i love this thing! its awesome!!! anyhow, i got on chat & they sent me a new mouth piece. now my temp button is completely stuck. I do clean it. Well i want to tell you that their tech support is top notch! very understanding & we arranged to have it sent in for a further look. I glad i can help them research and im glad to have my pax repaired. I can only imagine how awesome the PAX 2.0 will be... practice makes perfect! Ploom is A1 :cool:

justin hale,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I've been running the pax on med temp w/the ion, and it's still milking it up pretty nicely. My load is stretching much further as well. I have tried it with low, and do get vapor, but it's pretty thin, and the hits take much longer. When in ultra-conserve mode, this is still plenty acceptable. I sure do love milking up the ion though!!

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
How do you all draw off of your Pax? I find that a puffing method works best, but I feel like I am just blasting right through material. I feel like if I take one long draw then i'm just not getting any vapor because of the tight pull. Tips? Also, has anyone done a packing of straight kief? I'll have to try adding a bit to my next pac.

Deadshort480,

HSIHP

How do you all draw off of your Pax? I find that a puffing method works best, but I feel like I am just blasting right through material. I feel like if I take one long draw then i'm just not getting any vapor because of the tight pull. Tips? Also, has anyone done a packing of straight kief? I'll have to try adding a bit to my next pac.

Go to page 88 of this thread. Your jaw will drop.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
When using it dry, I tend to do the longer steady draw, with a gentle pull, so the vapor has time to replenish as air passes through the oven, it works good for me. It's what I am used to doing already with most portables.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

dudeeitsbrian

little bit irritating seeing people talking about a "pax 2.0", what makes anyone think that's ever going to happen? the first version is just fine, the temp button issue is user error, you are probably using WAY too much iso.

in my opinion, the only thing that needs updating is the cleaning instructions. other than that the device is perfect; no need for a "2.0". besides, pax just came out almost 3 months ago now, i can guarantee they aren't pushing out a "pax 2.0" anytime soon, if ever.

trihigh

@Latinrascal Haha. I originally had the onyx ordered and changed it to the amethyst simply because I thought there would be more of that color available as I assumed more people would want the black. I guess that was a mistake. I have a race this weekend anyway, so I haven't been able to medicate for over a week anyway. I just want to hold one at this point!

MrNorml

How do you all draw off of your Pax? I find that a puffing method works best, but I feel like I am just blasting right through material.

I'm blasting. I am trying this: Load full, use; dump out 1/2 ABV, refill, stir and pack; continue. I'm experiencing no real loss on the half-and-half loads but get twice the life (or at least less lost) w/o degrading the hits. Pax isn't the most economical IMHO but with experimenting around there do seem to be some ways to give more life to a load. Use what you want (measured) and fill remainder with ABV from earlier sessions. I'm following many on this thread in the 'hit like a joint' method but frankly it all seems to work well. Otherwise I couldn't see how anyone could hook up to glass/water. But with big hits I let it warm up a little extra to make up for the cooling from the big hit.
The other day I did a quick 'study' and determined that stirring after about 6 hits, and topping off at that point, let me get about 12 hits. I repeatd this 4 times, but didn't complete to battery death as I wanted to. Now, I wasn't getting huge clouds, but my experience is that there's still good delivery up to that point (going up in heat along the way).
It is also my experience that during a session you have to open the oven and stir the contents. That is when I also top off (less savings but more of something for me) (I'm in a grow state so blasting through is not as much an issue . . . but I don't like to waste.
Fills - the Pax takes about 3x over the Solo (2 small measures vs 6 measures). I don't pack Solo, do Pax. But a fill uses more in my experience. Again, ABV use is a big consideration there - that would cut down on the disparity there.
In terms of 'length of time' stuff, I'm finding I hit it more closely in time than I do with my Solo, which sort of doesn't make sense since the Solo has you on a 12-minute tether (which I always go past but you have to turn off/on) but knowing the thing is going to shut off sort of makes me want to hurry, so with the Pax it's almost like I'm in college hitting the old bong seconds after every exhale. I can't figure that out, as I haven't experienced that with any other unit I may have crossed so far... and that isn't helping to slow down the 'blasting' effect of the Pax on my product.
While composing this essay I did an entire oven, stirred twice as I changed temps, added nothing, and I know if I had stopped at 5 or 6 hits it would have been plenty. I got like 15+. So, there is some element of self-containment at play. Using ABV can help with that. So can shutting the thing off earlier. I enjoy long sessions though, and it is much much better at that than the Solo because it keeps on producing for a long long time without reloading. In line with my Iolite experiences (where I also top off as I do too with my Solo). It is better than the Iolite for long sessions. I am experiencing a session of over 30 minutes with sustained good hits as temp and stirring goes on. That would be about 4 Solo fills. But with the Solo I feel 'satisfiied' at a lower dosage. For all I know, the Pax is so designed to encourage use of product inside it. Some industries have done stuff like that to encourage addiction to certain tars and nicotines and ... oh wait ... So, I go overboard voluntarily and willingly, but then sort of perceive it's using or wasting a lot. It isn't wasting it on me at least, but I am using more than I would with other models of vaporizers. But the only other one I'm using is the Solo, which I really really like as well, and I use less with that very likely in some part because I have a sceen inside and less product fits than as Arizer designed it. That is sort of the purpose of using ABV with the Pax - filler like the screen in a Solo - and the Pax seems to really squeeze it for all the juice it can.
Don't know if that gives any added perspective on amounts being blasted through, but it is _a_ perspective.

Have just ordered the onyx pax via VapeWorld, getting it to me takes a bit of a circuitous route but cannot wait....

foreskinfred,

JoeKickass

Also, has anyone done a packing of straight kief? I'll have to try adding a bit to my next pac.
Go to page 88 of this thread. Your jaw will drop.

:D I knew I made a good choice for an avatar!
Zoom In, this is a nice one!
4tyDH.jpg

little bit irritating seeing people talking about a "pax 2.0"... the first version is just fine, the temp button issue is user error... the only thing that needs updating is the cleaning instructions.

Totally agree, I didn't even need an updated mouthpiece! Common sense solves most Pax issues, the only "problem" is it medicates so well you're just sitting there dumbfounded going "ohh man... the light changed color... what do I do..." when the back of your mind is screaming try clicking it!

willieR

Been here since 2009
For the Dammit, the Dude and JoeKA, are the electrical / connection / lights issues primarily due to the connectivity around the air path next to the temp switch? That's where the issues start? I love Dammit's post one page back.

As Dammit's post on the last page pointed out, that's a tough area to clean. I ordered some of the tiny dental brushes. I've been using a pipe cleaner inserted in that small area outside the stainless air tube and twirl the pipe cleaner between fingertips. This fast rotation seems like it would polish well.

I much prefer the old mouthpiece and need to to Joe's mod. I need to order the file is all. Joe, what size or length is that little half round file? Would you take the lip down any farther? Not like Ploom did with the new mouthpiece. That seemed like overkill.

willieR,

estelombo

im new to this forum, so far its been great for finding info.
so i got a pax at the beginning of august. i love it, i get high as fuck and its great. i also hate this thing, and heres why. first it worked great until i cleaned it the first time, then the sticking mouth piece happened (this was after using it for a week, maybe 3 hits a day). then the sticking temp switch happened ( not so bad as i like the hot setting, but annoying). then the mouthpiece wont move happened, press it down and it sticks down. so sometimes it sticks in the off position and wont switch on, sometimes it sticks so it wont switch off and i have to pull the mouth piece off to stop the constant heating of the herb. in the last week its just gotten worse, no matter how i clean it its constantly sticky and unreliable. also only last night i have noticed that now the unit thinks its not getting to temp....ever.....its stuck in a heating cycle, light never goes green, and it gets hot as shit. to be honest its not worth the effort, vapeworld told me to send it back and they will replace (this was before it started overheating) but whats the point if the design is flawed.....or is there any fixes ??, if i get a brand new unit i dont want to have to go through the same shit again

estelombo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
im new to this forum, so far its been great for finding info.
so i got a pax at the beginning of august. i love it, i get high as fuck and its great. i also hate this thing, and heres why. first it worked great until i cleaned it the first time, then the sticking mouth piece happened (this was after using it for a week, maybe 3 hits a day). then the sticking temp switch happened ( not so bad as i like the hot setting, but annoying). then the mouthpiece wont move happened, press it down and it sticks down. so sometimes it sticks in the off position and wont switch on, sometimes it sticks so it wont switch off and i have to pull the mouth piece off to stop the constant heating of the herb. in the last week its just gotten worse, no matter how i clean it its constantly sticky and unreliable. also only last night i have noticed that now the unit thinks its not getting to temp....ever.....its stuck in a heating cycle, light never goes green, and it gets hot as shit. to be honest its not worth the effort, vapeworld told me to send it back and they will replace (this was before it started overheating) but whats the point if the design is flawed.....or is there any fixes ??, if i get a brand new unit i dont want to have to go through the same shit again

Do you dry your weed?

pakalolo,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
From everything I read on this thread I am in totally surprise that someone is taking three hits a day.

Dreamerr,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
It's hard to say if the Pax is for everyone. I don't mind the minor "quirks" it has, and with the warranty, if it stops working right, get it replaced. I can't say that each unit will perform exactly like the one next to it, such is the nature of mass produced electronics. This is an issue facing every thread I've been reading about each vape. Something goes wrong with each and every one I have read about, for somebody, and it's just part of what we are dealing with in today's quick fix world. Even products that are built here in the US with hand made parts, are being sent out DOA or with other problems that require a return. It's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid. If anyone knows of a product that has been 100% functional across the board with no complaints from anyone, I'd like to know about it.

Bortz

Quick question for you guys!

I vaporize with a lot of noobs. Not to smoking, but to vaporizing. Usually people are cocky and think that vapor won't make them cough.... hee hee hee.

Long story short, what happens if one were to cough into the mouthpiece of the Pax? Would the bottom cover and or load come out?

Thanks everyone!

Bortz,

JoeKickass

Joe, what size or length is that little half round file? Would you take the lip down any farther? Not like Ploom did with the new mouthpiece. That seemed like overkill.
It's a needle file, you can find the half round in a cheap set like this: http://www.google.com/products/
I can barely tell I filed mine and it's been 100% reliable, but I would imagine the more you file the dirtier you can let it get...
it worked great until i cleaned it the first time... no matter how i clean it... whats the point if the design is flawed... i dont want to have to go through the same shit again...

You didn't have to go through it the first time...

did you use iso when cleaning? did you use it in the top area? That's how most people seem to get their temp button stuck.

The mouthpiece can be cleaned by putting it in a ziploc with iso and rinsing or you can get a new mouthpiece from Ploom or do my filing mod and not bother cleaning it.

I'm several weeks into my not-cleaning-torture-test and am not having any of these terrible resin problems. Maybe, like pakalolo suggested, you have uncured flower?

Quick question for you guys!

I vaporize with a lot of noobs. Not to smoking, but to vaporizing. Usually people are cocky and think that vapor won't make them cough.... hee hee hee.

Long story short, what happens if one were to cough into the mouthpiece of the Pax? Would the bottom cover and or load come out?

Thanks everyone!

You'd have to blow out the metal screen first (impossible without bowling out your cheeks) but if you really wanted to I think you could do it if you took out the screen...

JoeKickass,
Reactions: willieR

HSIHP

I've had my Pax for 2 weeks now and I wanted to give a different perspective than what I have been reading since I got mine. I usually pack a pretty full bowl of stuff with a pretty corse grind just about all the way to the top. I know I could fit more if I tried but I don't think I ever need to pack a load that big. I always start on low for about 6-8 hits and get some pretty good clouds, comparable to a fresh hit of a SSV. This gets me just fine for a good while. I will stir, then take 3-4 more hits on low and bump up to med for another 3-4 hits, stir, and turn it off. That usually gets me pretty good for one night.

I'll finish off a bowl the next day and start all over again cleaning it out after every 5 or 6 loads. So far, I have had no problems at all (knocks wood). I have never used ISO and have only used q-tips and pipe cleaners while warm. While I could see myself using less herb with my MFLB and still being medicated, Pax does pack an extra punch that fits perfectly in my arsenal after losing a SSV that was on loan to me. Over all, so far Pax is perfect for me. There could be some things better about it but nothing can be 100% perfect.

HSIHP,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom