Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKickass

im gonna be starting a test like JoeKickAss was performing, pax is fully charged will be keeping track of how long the battery lasts with a stopwatch today :)

I was hoping we'd get more Pax's, thanks!

On that note, my battery was flashing red when I turned it on this morning for bowl #5.
Only 35 min total use... but I've never run it all the way down before so maybe red is like 50-60% left?

I avoid plastics. What can I say? So you're saying that there's plastic in the Pax airstream, also. My mistake. I thought I read it was all medical stainless (with the obvious exception of the mouthpiece)

Have you ever tried a TV or evo with a stainless mouthpiece? One of those things you only do once...

You want/need plastic between your lips and the hot metal of your vape.

willieR

Been here since 2009
Thanks Paka. I'm looking for a portable that can handle a larger load and outputs more overall vapor per inhalation. The LB is great with the PA, not so great with batts. Fine if the herb is dry and finely ground, and not as forgiving if herbs are not as dry.

willieR,

dudeeitsbrian

so far today.... keep in mind i've been vaping on the orange temperature, and i've been vaping the entire oven load in each session; amounts varied each session though.

Session time / Overall time - Comments
Session 1: 7:35 / 7:35 - battery still shows as green.
Session 2: 6:15 / 13:50 - battery still shows as green.
Session 3: 5:04 / 18:54 - battery still shows as green.
Session 4: 7:27 / 26:22 - battery still shows as green.
Session 5: 5:27 / 31:50 - upon turning it on battery showed as yellow, also yellow at end of session.

dudeeitsbrian

dude, that's good stuff. So this was putting out some good cloud?
cloud thickness depends strongly upon how tightly you pack the herb into the device, but ya some nice clouds on medium temperature and also very good flavor for the first handful of hits. gonna pack another one up now, over medicating today for sure :D

dudeeitsbrian,
Reactions: willieR

willieR

Been here since 2009
Thanks again. I'm liking the general opinions that the Pax provides bigger hits than the LB. That's not for everyone, that's fine, but I'm very good with a 1 minute warmup to a session to get some big hits from a stealth.

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Thanks again. I'm liking the general opinions that the Pax provides bigger hits than the LB. That's not for everyone, that's fine, but I'm very good with a 1 minute warmup to a session to get some big hits from a stealth.

It's less than a minute, especially if you're in standby.

Aren't you worried about coughing up a cloud in a stealth situation, or even just exhaling?

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
So, scissor hash went well stuck between some flowers. Not the best way to use it, probably, but cool.

Tstat,

MoMoney

so far today.... keep in mind i've been vaping on the orange temperature, and i've been vaping the entire oven load in each session; amounts varied each session though.

Session time / Overall time - Comments
Session 1: 7:35 / 7:35 - battery still shows as green.
Session 2: 6:15 / 13:50 - battery still shows as green.
Session 3: 5:04 / 18:54 - battery still shows as green.
Session 4: 7:27 / 26:22 - battery still shows as green.
Session 5: 5:27 / 31:50 - upon turning it on battery showed as yellow, also yellow at end of session.
Thanks for the kickass research! For each session, was the Pax turned on the entire time or did you turn it on and off in between pulls?

Very curious as my Pax dies after 2 loads. I haven't timed it, but I'm guessing each of my sessions is around 6 or 7 minutes of heating time. I do turn it off after a couple of pulls though since I'm usually walking around and the standby won't activate. I can see turning it on and off would affect battery life since I'm starting with a cold chamber, but I didn't think it would be this bad! I'll record my usage today too as soon as the Pax finishes charging.

Other than the battery life, I love the Pax!

MoMoney,

dudeeitsbrian

Thanks for the kickass research! For each session, was the Pax turned on the entire time or did you turn it on and off in between pulls?

Very curious as my Pax dies after 2 loads. I haven't timed it, but I'm guessing each of my sessions is around 6 or 7 minutes of heating time. I do turn it off after a couple of pulls though since I'm usually walking around and the standby won't activate. I can see turning it on and off would affect battery life since I'm starting with a cold chamber, but I didn't think it would be this bad! I'll record my usage today too as soon as the Pax finishes charging.

Other than the battery life, I love the Pax!
i leave the device on the entire session and generally vape the entire oven as quickly as i can, guess i have a higher tolerance than most :p

i've been attempting to "train" my battery by discharging a good amount then charging up to full, seems to be lasting longer and longer each cycle. will probably test to see how long it lasts again after the next charge after i'm done testing this cycle.

dudeeitsbrian,

flynn

You're right, I must have been thinking of the purple one, we'll have to keep bringing it up until someone with a blue Pax wants to take a pic...

It should NOT be this difficult to find good photos of the cobalt pax that accurately show its color.
-_- I emailed ploom about this, and their color inconsistencies in their ads.

I can't believe how difficult this is to find on the internet..........

x_x is there no one who could photo their cobalt pax here?

flynn,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
It should NOT be this difficult to find good photos of the cobalt pax that accurately show its color.

As a professional photographer... i can tell you it is very difficult. Monitors don't all have the color information set exactly the same. A photograph will look different on almost every single screen, unless you take the time to color calibrate your computer screens regularly. The colors in your monitor also drift slowly away from where you set them at, so you need to re-do your color calibration regularly or it will not be accurate. Colors can be represented in many different ways under many different lights. For instance if you look at something under Low Pressure Sodium lights it essentially becomes black and white with an orange hue and looses almost all color information.

Slightly Medicated,

JoeKickass

Well, as I clicked it on for bowl #7, my Pax blinked red and refused, total time: 54 minutes

Bowl - Weight(est.) - Sesh Time - Battery Color - Elapsed Time
1 - - - - 0.4 - - - - - - 8:03 - - - - - - G - - - - - - - -8:03
2 - - - - 0.3 - - - - - - 7:52 - - - - - - G - - - - - - - 15:55
3 - - - - 0.2w - - - - - 8:32 - - - - - - Y - - - - - - - 24:27 - - - *16:00 to Y
4 - - - - 0.6 - - - - - -10:14 - - - - - -Y - - - - - - - 34:41
5 - - - - 0.4 - - - - - - 9:17 - - - - - - R - - - - - - - 43:58 - - - *35:00 to R
6 - - - - 0.2w - - - - - 9:37 - - - - - - R - - - - - - - 53:35
7 - - - - Flashed red when first turned on

(0.2w means 0.2g + wax)

Pretty much what I expected, but certainly not 120 minutes like we all hoped... so basically:

Green: 100 - 70%
Yellow: 70 - 35%
Red. . : 35 - 0%

Expect roughly two large bowls on each battery color.

All bowls were started and finished on medium, and if they were flipped/stirred the stopwatch was stopped.

llama1892

Aaron Rodgers Afficianado
I recall reading on here about the temp change button sticking? Mine is currently doing that and I was just curios if anybody could enlighten me on the issue. Its stuck on the orange temp which is fine because its the only one I use?
Any comments appreciated thanks :)

llama1892,

dudeeitsbrian

Well, as I clicked it on for bowl #7, my Pax blinked red and refused, total time: 54 minutes

Bowl - Weight(est.) - Sesh Time - Battery Color - Elapsed Time
1 - - - - 0.4 - - - - - - 8:03 - - - - - - G - - - - - - - -8:03
2 - - - - 0.3 - - - - - - 7:52 - - - - - - G - - - - - - - 15:55
3 - - - - 0.2w - - - - - 8:32 - - - - - - Y - - - - - - - 24:27 - - - *16:00 to Y
4 - - - - 0.6 - - - - - -10:14 - - - - - -Y - - - - - - - 34:41
5 - - - - 0.4 - - - - - - 9:17 - - - - - - R - - - - - - - 43:58 - - - *35:00 to R
6 - - - - 0.2w - - - - - 9:37 - - - - - - R - - - - - - - 53:35
7 - - - - Flashed red when first turned on

(0.2w means 0.2g + wax)

Pretty much what I expected, but certainly not 120 minutes like we all hoped... so basically:

Green: 100 - 70%
Yellow: 70 - 35%
Red. . : 35 - 0%

Expect roughly two large bowls on each battery color.
will be nice to see what my results look like compared to yours :)

dudeeitsbrian,
Reactions: JoeKickass

Supyo

I have had my Pax for about 1 month now and like most others on this thread, I think the Pax is awesome! Unfortunately after a good clean today, my mouth piece is stuck. I have read this entire thread so I am fully aware of any pitfalls with this unit so I was very careful with my iso usage. After one session, I now cannot even get the mouth piece out with needle nose pliers, and it has gotten pretty marred up. I will call Ellen at Vapeworld tomorrow and I'm confident they will replace my unit ASAP. Once again though, my "In case of emergency, break glass" MFLB will have to fill in.
Anyways, the Pax is totally cutting edge, and will be missed while in the shop, but like most first generation products, there will be kinks. IMO, no other portable is even in the same ballpark.

dudeeitsbrian

I have had my Pax for about 1 month now and like most others on this thread, I think the Pax is awesome! Unfortunately after a good clean today, my mouth piece is stuck. I have read this entire thread so I am fully aware of any pitfalls with this unit so I was very careful with my iso usage. After one session, I now cannot even get the mouth piece out with needle nose pliers, and it has gotten pretty marred up. I will call Ellen at Vapeworld tomorrow and I'm confident they will replace my unit ASAP. Once again though, my "In case of emergency, break glass" MFLB will have to fill in.
Anyways, the Pax is totally cutting edge, and will be missed while in the shop, but like most first generation products, there will be kinks. IMO, no other portable is even in the same ballpark.
that has happened to me with the mouth piece getting stuck, the first time it happened i opened the oven and blew in through the oven while clicking the device over and over until it popped out, i think once it warms up a little it pops out more easily. also, happened to me again today (i need to clean my pax out, its been awhile lol) and all i did was push down the mouthpiece even more slowly than i usually do to turn it off, i did this a few times until it finally popped up. i would never try to force it out since clearly a mechanism is keeping it locked down, just have to mess with it until the piece comes unstuck.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

x_x is there no one who could photo their cobalt pax here?

I've already explained why your search is not likely to succeed but here you are asking again. Now SlightlyMedicated has explained this again in even more detail, so it's time to move on.

JoeKickass

what tempo did you use for the battery testing joe? medium?
Yup, medium & I added it to my post, thanks from reminding me

Unfortunately after a good clean today, my mouth piece is stuck.
i would never try to force it out since clearly a mechanism is keeping it locked down, just have to mess with it until the piece comes unstuck.

That's what I'm wondering brian, I think it's not resin holding the mouthpiece down but some kind of kink in the spring or the catch.

What matters is whether it can happen with a good Pax or if it's a defect from the beginning and gets worse with use... did anyone's sticking mouthpiece use to work perfectly?

JoeKickass,

dudeeitsbrian

Session # - Session time - Elapsed time - Battery status
- - 1 - - - - - 7:35 - - - - - - 7:35 - - - - green
- - 2 - - - - - 6:15 - - - - - - 13:50 - - - green
- - 3 - - - - - 5:04 - - - - - - 18:54 - - - green
- - 4 - - - - - 7:27 - - - - - - 26:22 - - - green
- - 5 - - - - - 5:27 - - - - - - 31:50 - - - yellow
- - 6 - - - - - 4:43 - - - - - - 36:31 - - - yellow
- - 7 - - - - - 5:55 - - - - - - 42:27 - - yellow @ beginning, red @ end
- - 8 - - - - - 5:39 - - - - - - 48:06- - - - - red
- - 9 - - - - - 5:35 - - - - - - 53:41- - - - - red
- - 10 - - - - -6:49 - - - - - 1:00:31 - - - - red
- - 11 - - - - -4:26 - - - - - 1:04:57 - - - - red (quite surprised it hasn't died yet :p)
- - 12 - - - - -6:49 - - - - - 1:11:46 - - - - red
- - 13 - - - - -N/A - - - - - - -N/A - - - - -flashed red 3 times upon turning it on

notes: i put my pax on the charger at night before i go to bed, and remove it from the charger when i wake up. anyone up for the posibility that pax shows that its fully charged before it actually is (maybe at around ~80-90% of full capacity)? try leaving it on the charger after its already green, who knows they say its ok to do that anyway and the rules of lithium ion batteries also say its ok to leave it on the charger. :p

also, keep in mind as i've been doing this i've been starting the timer as soon as i turn on the device, and stopping the timer as soon as i turn off the device (so this data includes warmup time). i've also been letting the device cool down between sessions, this probably uses extra battery since it has to warm up to temperature each session.

JoeKickass

notes: i put my pax on the charger at night before i go to bed, and remove it from the charger when i wake up. anyone up for the posibility that pax shows that its fully charged before it actually is (maybe at around ~80-90% of full capacity)? try leaving it on the charger after its already green, who knows they say its ok to do that anyway and the rules of lithium ion batteries also say its ok to leave it on the charger. :p

also, keep in mind as i've been doing this i've been starting the timer as soon as i turn on the device, and stopping the timer as soon as i turn off the device (so this data includes warmup time). i've also been letting the device cool down between sessions, this probably uses extra battery since it has to warm up to temperature each session.

Nice data! 54 minutes and 71 minutes is a pretty big difference too! I counted warm-up time too

The only thing I cam think of is that I started my test at night and my pax sat unused all night between bowls 2 and 3 (when it turned from green to yellow) but yours lasted much longer in red!

JoeKickass,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom