Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurassic

Re the Inhalater, its drawbacks have been discussed in the Inhalater forum. Re the Pax, you may well be right. Anyway, what suits one person may not suit another. Personally, I like my Solo, except it's not fully portable. I also like my iolite, except it's noisy and has only one temperature setting (190C / 374F), and my MFLB is a great stand-by, but too fiddly for everyday use. :2c:

Thanks man, just when you say "beset with problems" it may lead people to a poor impression. Drawbacks is better ;)

Back to to the Pax! I've noticed a a return rate higher than i'd like, but i'm also noticing a far large majority worshipping this little device, which adds to my stoke.

Jurassic,

JoeKickass

I'm about to start a Pax project!

I'm going to put Ploom's 2 hours of use to the test. I just fully charged the Pax to green, and I'll start a stopwatch when I click on the Pax at the beginning of each sesh and stop it when I click the mouthpiece closed.

Assuming I can remember to stop the stopwatch after a heavy sesh :spliff:, I'll record the time to yellow battery, time to red battery, and time to complete shut-off (but will charge quickly after that to avoid over-discharging the battery)

Hopefully, we'll get some interesting info out of it!

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I'm about to start a Pax project!

I'm going to put Ploom's 2 hours of use to the test. I just fully charged the Pax to green, and I'll start a stopwatch when I click on the Pax at the beginning of each sesh and stop it when I click the mouthpiece closed.

Assuming I can remember to stop the stopwatch after a heavy sesh :spliff:, I'll record the time to yellow battery, time to red battery, and time to complete shut-off (but will charge quickly after that to avoid over-discharging the battery)

Hopefully, we'll get some interesting info out of it!

I did this... then I spilled some ISO on the paper the next day. It evaporated most of the stuff I wrote down. I was soooo pissed... I did not do it again because I was too angry. Thanks for doing that... make sure you keep your findings away from rubbing alcohol!

JoeKickass

Well, first bowl was 0.4g (est.) done at a leisurely pace and took 8 minutes (stopped the timer when I flipped the bowl) on medium.

The pax is still flashing green but I'd be surprised to get 12+ half-gram bowls (let alone 120 minutes...)

weedemon

enthusiast
i'm not sure what the temp button issue is but this morning I used my pax for the first time since cleaning it. and when i went to change the temp from orange to yellow i thought I was trippin out. the button wasn't pressing. i did it 3 times before i pressed harder and finally it clicked and went back to normal.

is this what you guys are talking about? but I assume you couldn't get the bottom to work again after that?

weedemon,

JoeKickass

i'm not sure what the temp button issue is but this morning I used my pax for the first time since cleaning it. and when i went to change the temp from orange to yellow i thought I was trippin out. the button wasn't pressing. i did it 3 times before i pressed harder and finally it clicked and went back to normal.

is this what you guys are talking about? but I assume you couldn't get the bottom to work again after that?

I don't suppose you cleaned the button with iso did you?

JoeKickass,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
I agree with JoeKickass, the button is outside of the entire vapor path, I don't think any vapor gets in that area with the mouthpiece locked in. My button has been dry.
I wonder if it is resin, or result of iso making the button is deforming. I wonder if instead a bit of goo gone or such or anti static wipes could be used in this area more effectively and safer than alcohol.

On another note I think the sideways charging is working well, don't have to worry about oven resin flowing down.

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
My pax was flashing yellow when I turned it on for bowl 3, only 16min total use, I hope this thing lasts for an hour after flashing red or something...
thanks for doin this, cause i read i think on plooms site or the instructions that pax should last the "casual" user for over a week on a single charge......ok wtf how?

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
all they give us is "yellow means partially discharged" how partially? At what percent does it switch to yellow? 90 percent? 75? 60? will have to contact ploom

kushcabbage,

kokotoko

You can't. They're currently available only in Canada and the USA. A couple of weeks ago Ploom told me there'll be a 220 - 240 volt version available for Australia, NZ and UK "soon." FC member Elvis ordered one through a forwarding service. (I'll retrieve its name, and post it here.)

Inhalater? (note spelling) seems beset with problems. vivape isn't portable, and mivape seems like pie in the sky when you die. As I remarked earlier in the mivape forum, it's like Beckett's 'Waiting for Godot', without the drama. :shrug:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah Vivape isnt portable and inhalater doesnt look nearly as good. I have a step down converter and can get a step up converter. I use it for my electric shaver, video games and other devices from america. Would that work?
There must be someone from the UK with a Pax? Cant they ship internationally?

kokotoko,

Elvis

bricked
Thanks for the reply. Yeah Vivape isnt portable and inhalater doesnt look nearly as good. I have a step down converter and can get a step up converter. I use it for my electric shaver, video games and other devices from america. Would that work?
Its should work if its stepping it down to 110v.. OR you can get a normal power supply that has an output of 9v DC at 1.3a min. No they don't ship out side of the US/Canada, You will have to use a forwarding service to get it to the UK as stated above

Elvis,

JoeKickass

OR you can get a normal power supply that has an output of 9v DC at 1.3a min. No they don't ship out side of the US/Canada, You will have to use a forwarding service to get it to the UK as stated above

Ploom told me any voltage 9-18v will charge it. The plug is right-angle, center positive, 1.3mm ID, and 3.5mm OD.

JoeKickass,

Dammit

I get some resin build up at the end of the mouth piece sometimes and when I take it out, it leave some on the edges of the tunnel. If any gets on the button, it stands out like a sore thumb because the button is glowing bright white.

Dammit,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I get some resin build up at the end of the mouth piece sometimes and when I take it out, it leave some on the edges of the tunnel. If any gets on the button, it stands out like a sore thumb because the button is glowing bright white.

Yeah I'm thinking it might be something to do with the reclaim build up... it stands straight to charge, so maybe it runs down?

Quetzalcoatl,

flynn

Someone did take a picture of a blue Pax that looked un-retouched, they were one of the first people to get one, if anyone wants to go wading back a bunch of pages...
T____T I just skimmed through all of the last 80 pages in this thread. I didn't see a cobalt photo anywhere. There was a nice amethyst video, but I was looking for cobalt.

Perhaps it was in another thread? Any hints on where I could find this?

Dammit

I usually get a couple of session at medium, and then finish off at high. Starting at high kicks my ass

Dammit,
Reactions: willieR

Hai_Rypo_T'head

Why smoke and die, when you can vape and fly?

Would that work? I've no idea, but I seem to recall an FC member (I forget who), claimed that someone tried it, and damaged their Pax.

Cant they ship internationally? Apparently only to Canada and USA. According to Ploom, they'll become available for export to Oz, NZ and GB(?) "soon". (And for all I know, North Korea and the Vatican may be next in the queue.) :razz:

Hai_Rypo_T'head,

weedemon

enthusiast
I don't suppose you cleaned the button with iso did you?

not intentionally. a little bit may have though...

I dipped the pipe cleaner in iso then gently squeezed a little of by running it though my fingers then i just ran though the unit.

the area under the mouth piece looked clean to me so i didnt' do any intentional cleaning on there.

weedemon,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Does this have an easy to clean vapor path? Can you get to the entire path with a pipe cleaner?

willieR,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom