Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
Hey FC'ers,

Registered a new account just to talk about this PAX! I've used a lot of vapes in the past (whips, bags, portables, oils, etc), and this by far has left the largest, smiliest impression on me so far.

My only two complaints:

1) Cleaning! Cleaning is super easy - it's just that you have to do it super often. Otherwise, the metal downstem in the mouthpiece collects resin on the inside of the tube, then 'sticks' to the tube inside the body that it slips over. This is what causes my mouthpiece to "stick" and not pop out after being pressed, or not clicking in to retain, etc.

2) The white little temp change button. This also gets sticky resin covered after use, but it's a little tricker - the resin coats the *bottom* surface of the white button as well as its sides, which causes it to *stick* to the base and not pop back up to "reset" the switch. Therefore, you can't press it again, and stays stuck and flush to the bottom of the button floor. Be careful - before I figured this out I pushed too hard with my nail and the white button made a cracking noise, the LED turned off, and the button fell "into" the body, deep enough that i can no longer see it and the switch is now just a hole. i can no longer change temps without using a small toothpick to get in there to press the little button. Thankfully the rest of the unit works and I am ok with it being 'stuck' on orange/medium. I'm very hesitant to send this in under warranty as 1) it might have been user error (did I press the stuck button too hard?) and 2) I can NOT stand even a day without my pax. I don't nkow how iloveb00bs is retaining sanity.

Other than that, that is all. This is the end-all of portable vapes, I cannot in good conscience recommend any other vape to anybody looking for a portable.

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
welcome to fuckcombustion! seems those are two of the main complaints, at least cleaning is therapeutical right? Interesting to hear this about the button, how deep is this button hole, and is your button still in there? Wondering also because you mention resin on the underside which caused you to press extra hard with it leading to falling in. I'm hoping this area can be cleaned throughly we don't need resin getting in hard to reach places if we ever want to travel with this vape completely sterile and clean. Cheers thanks for the info

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
Hi kushcabbage!

Thanks! Yeah, let me see if I can post a picture here.. the button is completely fallen in. Beforehand I cleaned the area with a little bit of ISO but I know that certain porous plastics (like this white button) can react to ISO, so I'm a bit hesitant to recommend this method of cleaning until ploom can shed some light on it. Part of me is afraid that an ISO soak might "glue" the white button further to the sides or bottom, but then again I'm pretty paranoid, so...

Z3zZ2.jpg

thevapenazi,

Jurassic

vapenazi, welcome....personally i'd utilize their warranty and get it fixed or replaced...why not? Also, I think the frequent cleaning is a good thing because it kinda FORCES you to keep it clean and hygienic! :)

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I don't know about all of you but I certainly don't want to clean a vape daily and have to put soooooooo much work into keeping it working. I know a lot of you like to clean your vapes a lot but if you don't want to it should still work. I have a DV and did clean it last night but could have used it after a week of daily all day use without cleaning with a slight draw restriction but nothing to bother me.

I also won't buy from a company who only will deal with tobacco a cancer causing agent yet will refuse to address helpful medicine users.

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
Dreamerr: I completely agree, I am a lazy mofo when it comes to upkeep. you're totally right, the DV will go for weeks without a clean. However I've found my DV tastes a bit off (probably the whip?), and it's a bit harder to load/unload the chambers. Not as pocketable as the PAX. The only thing the DV beat the PAX in, in my personal opinion, was the drag-free, zero-resistance airy draw. that part is just wonderful. Oh, and it cooks herb much more evenly than the pax. Both the DV and Pax get equally hot to hold, but to be fair the DV has more "warm zones" taht aren't scorching to hold it by, whereas in the PAX the entire body heats up evenly (though it seems to take slightly longer than the DV to reach its top heat temp)

still, given it's the same price as the PAX, I'd pick the PAX every time. :) I totally agree on the ethical stance though, it does seem very unethical for a company to make a huge chunk of its profits from an unacknowledged base they explicitly say they don't want to deal with.. I mean, who vaporizes tobacco discreetly?

Dreamerr

Dreamerr: I completely agree, I am a lazy mofo when it comes to upkeep. you're totally right, the DV will go for weeks without a clean. However I've found my DV tastes a bit off (probably the whip?), and it's a bit harder to load/unload the chambers. Not as pocketable as the PAX. The only thing the DV beat the PAX in, in my personal opinion, was the drag-free, zero-resistance airy draw. that part is just wonderful. Oh, and it cooks herb much more evenly than the pax.

still, given it's the same price as the PAX, I'd pick the PAX every time. :) I totally agree on the ethical stance though, it does seem very unethical for a company to make a huge chunk of its profits from an unacknowledged base they explicitly say they don't want to deal with.. I mean, who vaporizes tobacco discreetly?

I get very even cooked herb with the DV so I don't understand why you don't. Maybe you use very high temps. I am going to the inhalater which has very good reviews as well and seems to draw like the DV.

Dreamerr,

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
@dreamerr: perhaps you misread, I was saying I get *VERY* evenly cooked ABV from the DV, much more even than the Pax. The DV is nearly all convection (95%) where I woudl guess the PAX to be more at 60% convection, 40% conduction.

thevapenazi,

Dreamerr

@dreamerr: perhaps you misread, I was saying I get *VERY* evenly cooked ABV from the DV, much more even than the Pax. The DV is nearly all convection (95%) where I woudl guess the PAX to be more at 60% convection, 40% conduction.

I certainly did misread. Thanks for clearing that up. My brain doesn't work well so it is easy for me to misread. The rest of my post stands on its own.

Dreamerr,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I don't know about all of you but I certainly don't want to clean a vape daily and have to put soooooooo much work into keeping it working. I know a lot of you like to clean your vapes a lot but if you don't want to it should still work. I have a DV and did clean it last night but could have used it after a week of daily all day use without cleaning with a slight draw restriction but nothing to bother me.

I also won't buy from a company who only will deal with tobacco a cancer causing agent yet will refuse to address helpful medicine users.

I'm with you on the cleaning aspect. Both of my vapourizers are easy to deal with. The Extreme only needs regular elbow screen swaps (every two bowls) and I clean the glass with ISO once a month. The LB hardly ever needs cleaning and I use that thing constantly.

I understand Ploom's position on the Pax. Although marijuana is legal for medical users in some states, paraphernalia is still illegal everywhere. I'm sure they've got an extra-paranoid lawyer somewhere. It's a shame they won't acknowledge their real market, because they undoubtedly know who that is, but it is understandable. They aren't the only company taking this position. I have a list of 16 points (and counting) why I wouldn't buy a Pax*, but pretending to be a tobacco vape is not one of them.

* No, I will not post them here. They'd only start a lynch mob after me. :uhoh:

pakalolo,

turk

turk
....I've used mine multiple times....I've yet to clean it...I've yet to experience any problems in functionality...luck of the draw, I guess...

....anybody got any lynch?

mod note: Hahaha. Wit aside, please do not post back-to-back, use the edit boutton, thanks. Posts merged.

Dreamerr

I'm with you on the cleaning aspect. Both of my vapourizers are easy to deal with. The Extreme only needs regular elbow screen swaps (every two bowls) and I clean the glass with ISO once a month. The LB hardly ever needs cleaning and I use that thing constantly.

I understand Ploom's position on the Pax. Although marijuana is legal for medical users in some states, paraphernalia is still illegal everywhere. I'm sure they've got an extra-paranoid lawyer somewhere. It's a shame they won't acknowledge their real market, because they undoubtedly know who that is, but it is understandable. They aren't the only company taking this position. I have a list of 16 points (and counting) why I wouldn't buy a Pax*, but pretending to be a tobacco vape is not one of them.

* No, I will not post them here. They'd only start a lynch mob after me. :uhoh:

Gee, since I am a 60's rebel I would love to know those companies so I don't give them my money if you can share. I was truly unaware that all paraphernalia was still illegal. That is so silly but what can I expect from a corrupt government. Sounds like I am better off out with a joint then a vape and that is just crazy.

Dreamerr,

turk

turk
....that list is long....I'm afraid...I believe tommy chong was also unaware that paraphernalia was illegal....love the american model....

turk,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Gee, since I am a 60's rebel I would love to know those companies so I don't give them my money if you can share. I was truly unaware that all paraphernalia was still illegal. That is so silly but what can I expect from a corrupt government. Sounds like I am better off out with a joint then a vape and that is just crazy.

The paraphernalia law is federal. See Title 21 United States Code (USC) Controlled Substances Act, Section 863. Drug paraphernalia.

I don't have a list of companies, Dreamerr, but you can usually figure out who they are. Some companies are open about their products being for marijuana and characterize them as being for medical use. There are also strict FDA regulations about making medical claims, so some good companies that I have no trouble patronizing will not mention medical use either. Of course, the choice is yours.

pakalolo,

Dreamerr

The paraphernalia law is federal. See Title 21 United States Code (USC) Controlled Substances Act, Section 863. Drug paraphernalia.

I don't have a list of companies, Dreamerr, but you can usually figure out who they are. Some companies are open about their products being for marijuana and characterize them as being for medical use. There are also strict FDA regulations about making medical claims, so some good companies that I have no trouble patronizing will not mention medical use either. Of course, the choice is yours.

From reading this, even with exceptions, most head shops are 95% illegal yet they exist. We need to throw out all the laws and make new ones. The laws on all fronts are archaic. The government adds more to attempt to fix them but just makes it worse.

Dreamerr,
So you're saying PAX > than VXC, VHW, Herbo? lol
For me, yes. I'm not saying that is how it will be forever, each one has a different purpose. The Pax heats up faster than the big dogs and has portability for vaping anywhere I want. My VXC crapped out because the water dripped into the unit during a session, but the heat up time and the constant clicking noise really bugged me on that one. I have broken my VHW twice (I'm a klutz sober or high), but I do love my Herborizer... I think my Volcano will still get use as well. I am just in love with this unit right now, but I'm sure when the next great vape comes out I will be putting this on the shelf with the others.

Argonaut,
Reactions: Jurassic

JoeKickass

From reading this, even with exceptions, most head shops are 95% illegal yet they exist. We need to throw out all the laws and make new ones. The laws on all fronts are archaic. The government adds more to attempt to fix them but just makes it worse.

Would be nice wouldn't it... let's all form a Californian Independence Party, viva la revalucion!

JoeKickass,
Reactions: Dreamerr

brian420

....I've used mine multiple times....I've yet to clean it...I've yet to experience any problems in functionality...luck of the draw, I guess...

....anybody got any lynch?

mod note: Hahaha. Wit aside, please do not post back-to-back, use the edit boutton, thanks. Posts merged.
same here, i've had my pax for exactly a week now and since i've only cleaned it once, and that was really only because i was curious to see how dirty it had gotten in ~2 days.

been going for 5 days now without cleaning, at least 8-10 sessions per day through it, haven't had any issues with the mouthpiece sticking or any sort of resin of any kind building up on/around the button. i honestly don't even see how its possible for anything to build up on the button, the vapor really doesn't even come into contact with it when the mouth piece is on?

brian420,

JoeKickass

Yes, I too felt the time was right for a new toy and I simply couldn't ignore the simplicity of the Pax so without further ado:

Joe's Pax, Chapter 1 "The Unboxing"
(people with slow internet beware!)

0ueoB.jpg

4hO9K.jpg

The free grinder from vape world is a space case knock-off but still very good quality
05ijc.jpg

KzG4h.jpg

bdQBA.jpg

VpBu2.jpg

ixdQX.jpg

ylGQl.jpg

tlEno.jpg

fUotx.jpg

Mine came with the battery flashing red for low, good thing it charges in a single hour!

damienm420

The best portable that can go forever without cleaning, is the solo. The ONLY thing you need to do is pop out the screen and put a new one in! Suuuper easy. The stem can go forever, and just get more hash ;) gotta love the solo. I am currently waiting for the PAX to arrive :) gonna see how it compares to the solo. Which ive been using for almost a year now.

You still don't NEED to clean the solo though lol maybe wipe the steel bowl, but it won'taffect performance.

damienm420,
Reactions: ili
Hey FC'ers,

Registered a new account just to talk about this PAX! I've used a lot of vapes in the past (whips, bags, portables, oils, etc), and this by far has left the largest, smiliest impression on me so far.

My only two complaints:

1) Cleaning! Cleaning is super easy - it's just that you have to do it super often. Otherwise, the metal downstem in the mouthpiece collects resin on the inside of the tube, then 'sticks' to the tube inside the body that it slips over. This is what causes my mouthpiece to "stick" and not pop out after being pressed, or not clicking in to retain, etc.

2) The white little temp change button. This also gets sticky resin covered after use, but it's a little tricker - the resin coats the *bottom* surface of the white button as well as its sides, which causes it to *stick* to the base and not pop back up to "reset" the switch. Therefore, you can't press it again, and stays stuck and flush to the bottom of the button floor. Be careful - before I figured this out I pushed too hard with my nail and the white button made a cracking noise, the LED turned off, and the button fell "into" the body, deep enough that i can no longer see it and the switch is now just a hole. i can no longer change temps without using a small toothpick to get in there to press the little button. Thankfully the rest of the unit works and I am ok with it being 'stuck' on orange/medium. I'm very hesitant to send this in under warranty as 1) it might have been user error (did I press the stuck button too hard?) and 2) I can NOT stand even a day without my pax. I don't nkow how iloveb00bs is retaining sanity.

Other than that, that is all. This is the end-all of portable vapes, I cannot in good conscience recommend any other vape to anybody looking for a portable.

It seems like people are having mixed experiences when it comes to the mp and temp button sticking, but I'm in the same boat that you're in, tvn.

I've had my pax for a week and have been using it everyday. 2 days ago I started noticing the mp and temp button sticking. The temp button is still an issue for me.

Usage-wise, I've been doing 6-8 sessions per day, 0.3g-0.4g per session, primarily on orange (red is fuckin' harsh imo). I've also been sprinkling in some kief (layer flower+layer kief+layer flower=:D); not sure if this could be contributing to the stickiness issue.

In the beginning I was cleaning my pax only once a day, but now I've had to clean it twice a day. The cleaning process itself isn't difficult, but the frequency can be a pita.

I also find that by the end of my 1st session the pax gets pretty damn hot. I like to follow SliM's advice to hold the unit closer to the mp end, where it's only a little warm to the touch. The mp occasionally gets uncomfortably hot (again, more towards the end of a session), but curling in my lips usually helps.

Granted, I'm pretty new to the portable vape game and the only other toy I have is the mflb. Honestly, I feel like the mflb is more effiecient, but I'm not hating on the pax. All-in-all, I think that it's a nice portable and it'll be a solid part of my travel arsenal. The flavor of the first 2-3 hits is sublime.

Me likey:
  • quality vapes (nice clouds and taste)
  • pretty good battery life (I typically recharge it every 3-4 sessions)
  • 1 hr-1.5 hr recharge time
  • sleek and discreet design
  • nice oven load capacity
Me NO likey:
  • internal pieces can get stuck and require frequent cleaning (depending on your usage)
  • unit gets uncomfortably hot to the touch near the oven end
  • may not be as efficient as other portable vapes

UpUpandAway,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I don't think the sticking buttons are from resin. I think it might be a manufacturing thing. I would contact PAX and let them know if your button is sticking. From the what I can tell, there should be no vapor floating around in that area of the device to coat the button in the first place.

Usage-wise, I've been doing 6-8 sessions per day, 0.3g-0.4g per session, primarily on orange (red is fuckin' harsh imo). I've also been sprinkling in some kief (layer flower+layer kief+layer flower=:D); not sure if this could be contributing to the stickiness issue.

That might explain why I like red over orange. I fill mine with about .25 grams so the conduction heat does not transfer as well between the flowers. Yours is more tightly packed, so the plant material transfers the heat to the material next to it more efficiently. You get better results on orange because you have a tighter pack to your oven load. The PAX does seem to work better the tighter you pack it.

Slightly Medicated,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom