Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurassic

OK, this is a great thread and I love reading everyone's thoughts and experiences. I keep going back and forth about buying one.

I'd like a cool portable that I could put in pocket and take to work. [This seems to be the one!]
I need it to not smell significantly like my MFLB [I know, clean it and it won't smell!]
I need it WORK and produce nice clouds with minimal time involved [Seems like it certainly does!]
I need it to be reliable and functional at all times [Sticking temp button and mouthpieces that don't pop out or stay out/in concerns me!]

So, I guess I am still on the fence. The temp button doesn't really faze me, but the mouthpiece does. How durable is this design? Are the mouthpiece problems symptomatic of a larger design problem, or is it just a random glitch for some?

I was on the fence too, but think the Inhalater INH4000 is a better option IMHO. Have you looked into it?

Jurassic,
Reactions: Dreamerr

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
ORDERED the Pax yesterday, should arrive tomorrow. EXCITED to try this unit out, you guys really have made this decision easy for me with all the rave reviews and all. I've been lurking for the past few months and i absolutely had to sign up and share my thoughts on this unit when i get it. I was soo close to pulling the trigger on the SOLO, but this unit caught my eye for some reason. For those of you who have both, which do you prefer and why? Personally, i didn't like the whole stem situation on the solo, VERY INCONVENIENT. CHEERS! :)
I hope people don't start calling you KC, that's my thing :) at at any rate welcome to fuckcombustion mr. kush, were excited to have another member to share their thoughts on a brand new vape, welcome to the game :cheers: Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the unit! About the solo, the only time I'm using my solo anymore (although like you I have a pax en route) is when I want to experience a long drawn out session, and while savoring ed's wooden stem with some nice ale or stout. I don't find the unit very portable, so this pax should be a travelers gem. Cheers mate

kushcabbage,

kushcloud

My ex's name was KC, lets just say i DONT like that name LOL! Anything but KC. To me the two units are apples and oranges. The solo is BIG compared with the PAX. The hassle of caring around a stem, NO THANKS! 2yr warranty compared with 10yrs. Few things here and there that makes the solo hard to travel with. Other than those issues the solo is probably badass on the couch. MAN i hate waiting, stupid customs! Good day, SIR!

JoeKickass

I was on the fence too, but think the Inhalater INH4000 is a better option IMHO. Have you looked into it?

I didn't want to diss in the inhalator thread but I chose the pax because:

1) It's smaller and sleeker
2) It charges faster

USB charging is convenient yes but it's so slow to charge a big battery. Even though the Pax has the same battery as the inhalator, the Pax charges in less than an hour and the Inhalator takes 4 hours. You can turn the Inhalator on while charging but USB can't provide all the power so you are still using the battery, not using and charging it like some people think...

Coastal

The screen is supposed to be solid. The little dents in the one side of the screen are just meant for decoration. The screen has rounded corners and the vapor travels around the rounded corners to the vapor path/tube. Try sucking on it like you would a milkshake, draw with your mouth more then your lungs. See if that helps.

Cool that explains why the oven gets so hot and stays that way so the entire contents get evenly vaped over time.

I'm posting a thread from the Puffit discussion here in case anyone cares to comment:

lol not gonna happen. i've tested this, i pushed down one side of the oven lid as far as i could and shook the device at the same time, none of the contents were spilled out. the oven lid isn't going to just come off that easily, you have to push down on one side and lift up on the other, i don't see how that could happen in your pocket?

When I tilted the lid a bit and shook, some contents came out. I use a pretty fine grind, perhaps that is why it leaked in my test. The Puffit leaked a bit too until I inserted a paper washer in the cap.

I'm going to see if I can rig a form fitting sleeve for the cap area on the Pax, to cut down on the odor released during heating and make it a bit more secure. It will have to allow some air to go around though.

Btw a good cover is a small knife/flashlight nylon case. Fits perfectly. If I can find a snug one I can melt a hole for the indicator and keep it covered and secure while in use. The one I have now is just a flashlight "holster" in black nylon with a belt loop. Stealthy but gotta control the odor better.

One more observation: One good draw from warmup on the Pax is all it takes for me to get sufficiently medicated after a 10 minute wait. The Puffit takes 3 or 4 but is still more stealthy and much less oven odor escapes. Puffit wins as my travel unit.

turk

turk
....I still have my solo, and I still use it....yea the "glass stems" are a drag...and I carry them and the solo in a bag....the solo will get the job done and other than the fact the stems are glass and seperate....the pax is more convenient...but they both do the job...

turk,

brian420

4 week warranty vs. 10 year warranty, i wonder why they won't stand behind the product for more than four weeks ;)

edit: did some more reading, actually looks like a 1 year warranty. not sure where i read 4 weeks? either way 10 years vs 1 year :p

brian420,

JoeKickass

I usually finish a bowl in two sessions, but if you figure 6-8 full hits per session you should be able to make this work for you even if you only use a faction of me:

1) Pack it in hard, put more than you think will fit and pack it in some more, you want a solid brick-like block. I use a mini grinder and a full ground-up bowl all fits in the Pax.

2) Start in low or medium. I think I prefer medium first simply because it gives more satisfying hits and taste. Draw using your mouth, not your lungs, draw slowly, don't force it. After 6-8 full hits:
1yEpa.jpg

(This is the same block flipped over, after 6-8 hits on low)
Ygzkq.jpg

3) Finish in medium. Again I think medium gives the best taste, high is too harsh for me. When you flip the block over the green side will be the side you taste; after 6-8 more hits:
zrjrB.jpg

(The same block with better lighting & editing)
ez84z.jpg

1GYba.jpg

FOVvP.jpg

The last pic is closest to the milk chocolate brown that medium produces. This thing feels like a $1,000 espresso machine. It works great and looks like art. But it also has character and that extra special-ness that just makes you happy.... and I haven't even tried bubble or wax yet!
:tup:Ploom:tup:

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Good photographs. I am glad you are enjoying it. It really is one of my favorite portables ever. There is just something about the whole package that is just sleek and preforms well.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: ilovebOObs

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Ok, ok, enough! Lets just say I was to order this today, where is the best place to get it (I'm in RI, USA)? VapeWorld, I guess? I know this has been discussed, I just don't remember the details, and I'm at work and really can't read through the thread here to find it.

I'd like to get it quickly (overnight would be awesome, but I don't want to pay a lot more) and I don't care about a free grinder or anything. Oh, and PayPal would be great, too.

You guys have beaten me down and I wish I ordered earlier this week! Thanks a lot :rolleyes:

turk

turk
...nice pics...I usually finish a bowl in 4- 5 seesions during the day....(I do have work to do...) I start at the lowest (yellow) and I can get 4-5 hits....than up I go...I don't need the high setting till eve time....very convenient....the solo worked fine....just took a little more effort....and had to be more discreet...

JoeKickass

I'd like to get it quickly (overnight would be awesome, but I don't want to pay a lot more) and I don't care about a free grinder or anything. Oh, and PayPal would be great, too.

Vapeworld is where I got mine, use code "5-OFF-12" for 5% off (like $12 or $13)

Unfortunately they're saying "Onyx Pax are now shipping. All other Pax orders anticipated to ship by August 15th." so no free overnight anymore but they have decent shipping prices I think if you want it faster. Also, mine shipped from Las Vegas so if you're in CA standard shipping shouldn't take too long...

JoeKickass,

brian420

The last pic is closest to the milk chocolate brown that medium produces. This thing feels like a $1,000 espresso machine. It works great and looks like art. But it also has character and that extra special-ness that just makes you happy.... and I haven't even tried bubble or wax yet!
:tup:Ploom:tup:
im hitting my pax now, layer of herb, dab of wax, then another layer of herb. tastes phenomenal and lasting forever :D

out of curiosity, how do you get the brick to come out so perfectly? mine always wind up breaking apart on me.

kushcloud

Hey JoeKickAss how much did your material weigh in those pictures? Seems like .5g or so?
Another thing i wanted to know was, has anyone found any difference between moist weed and dry weed in there oven?? How does this affect the number of hits it gives, or does it?

kushcloud,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
im hitting my pax now, layer of herb, dab of wax, then another layer of herb. tastes phenomenal and lasting forever :D

out of curiosity, how do you get the brick to come out so perfectly? mine always wind up breaking apart on me.

If your weed is full of trichomes or you salt it with kief, you'll get a brick like that.

Hey JoeKickAss how much did your material weigh in those pictures? Seems like .5g or so?
Another thing i wanted to know was, has anyone found any difference between moist weed and dry weed in there oven?? How does this affect the number of hits it gives, or does it?

Moist weed will take more energy to vapourize so you'll get fewer hits, but probably only two or three fewer at most. What it will do is dirty up your Pax faster and make it smell more. Magic-Flight identified the dampness of the load as the factor that causes some LBs to smell and accumulate a lot of resin under the screen, while others (like mine) have practically no odour or resin build-up. I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same for the Pax.

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
careful with fullmelt hash or waxes - they'll liquify, seep past the straw as you draw with your mouth, and if you leave it upside down charging, the liquid will stay warm and drip down the straw and into your mouthpiece.

I'd stick to kief and dry bubble hash myself. :)

thevapenazi,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I guess I'm the only one who vapes the entire oven on high. After growing accustomed to some pretty heavy hitters, the vapor production on medium just isn't satisfying enough for me.

JoeKickass

I pack it in really tight, but pakolo might be right it might be tricky with mids...

I'll weigh next time but I would guess 0.3 to 0.5 ya

Great thing about vaporizers is that you can vape flower picked straight off the plant! All the water vapor has to evaporate before the flowers get hot enough to release thc so if your bud is very fresh you will notice a lot of hot, wet vapor (water condenses and feels hot) in the beginning and then you will get your smoother thc vapor after.

careful with fullmelt hash or waxes - they'll liquify, seep past the straw as you draw with your mouth, and if you leave it upside down charging, the liquid will stay warm and drip down the straw and into your mouthpiece.

I'd stick to kief and dry bubble hash myself. :)

Sound advice but I think a bb or two of wax packed in the middle of the block might be just the ticket for me getting more than 2 sessions out of this thing...

JoeKickass,

Vapor Junkie

I guess I'm the only one who vapes the entire oven on high. After growing accustomed to some pretty heavy hitters, the vapor production on medium just isn't satisfying enough for me.

I do the same thing. I believe SliM also does this.

Vapor Junkie,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Vapeworld is where I got mine, use code "5-OFF-12" for 5% off (like $12 or $13)

Unfortunately they're saying "Onyx Pax are now shipping. All other Pax orders anticipated to ship by August 15th." so no free overnight anymore but they have decent shipping prices I think if you want it faster. Also, mine shipped from Las Vegas so if you're in CA standard shipping shouldn't take too long...

Thank you, but why would that sentence indicate no more free overnight shipping?

Tstat,

JoeKickass

Thank you, but why would that sentence indicate no more free overnight shipping?

I'm pretty sure it used to say "Pre-Order now and get free overnight shipping when it becomes availlable!" or something like that, either way just pick standard shipping. If they're still doing the upgrade, you'll find out soon enough!

JoeKickass,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yep, I'm gonna head over there now and see what the deal is. I hope they take PayPal :)

Tstat,

Jurassic

I didn't want to diss in the inhalator thread but I chose the pax because:

1) It's smaller and sleeker
2) It charges faster

USB charging is convenient yes but it's so slow to charge a big battery. Even though the Pax has the same battery as the inhalator, the Pax charges in less than an hour and the Inhalator takes 4 hours. You can turn the Inhalator on while charging but USB can't provide all the power so you are still using the battery, not using and charging it like some people think...

I totally understand. Different strokes for different folks...after owning a Solo, my biggest thing is the draw, and everything i've read on here points to the Pax having a hard draw and requiring a cigar like pull. That would give me a headache. Also I feel like you have be super quick with conduction based vapes as to not waste vapour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom