Discontinued Pax 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardAlbee

Australian Vaporizers has the Pax 2 on sale for AUD$239 (the original price was over AUD$400) and I just couldn't resist.

I have a question about first time use. Once it is charged can I use it right away, or do I need to clean it or burn off residue from the factory?

Also I don't know which accessories are best if I want to use a smaller amount. There is a thing called a Pusher, a 3D Bottom Screen, Pax 2 Oven Lid 2.0 and Pusher Bundle, a Pax 2 Vented Oven Lid 2.0 and Pusher Bundle, or even a Pax 2 Screens (3 Pack) (which some people say is better for making a smaller load.

I was a bit overwhelmed by the choices so I did not buy anything.

I am open to suggestions though, if anybody has an opinion. Cheers.

EdwardAlbee,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Australian Vaporizers has the Pax 2 on sale for AUD$239 (the original price was over AUD$400) and I just couldn't resist.

I have a question about first time use. Once it is charged can I use it right away, or do I need to clean it or burn off residue from the factory?

Also I don't know which accessories are best if I want to use a smaller amount. There is a thing called a Pusher, a 3D Bottom Screen, Pax 2 Oven Lid 2.0 and Pusher Bundle, a Pax 2 Vented Oven Lid 2.0 and Pusher Bundle, or even a Pax 2 Screens (3 Pack) (which some people say is better for making a smaller load.

Well, you'll definitely get some opinions here!
Welcome.
The old standby for less than full loads is by using a 'standard' pipe screen, folded into a flat bottomed half (called the Taco screen). Use this (open side up) to hold small amounts down tighter to the bottom of chamber. The Titanium pusher can do pretty much the same thing, and adds some more heated mass on top of the load. The goal is to keep stuff from swirling/moving around in the chamber.

vapviking,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2

I like the pusher too. I don't think you need the pusher sandwich. I haven't tried it but I think the concensus here is the bottom screen of the sandwich isn't worth it. In place of the pusher (or folded screen), people seem to like the pax oven lid with the extension (that acts as a spacer).

I also suggest you get a pack of extra pax screens. It's great to be able to swap out an old gunked up one with a fresh new one.

I also suggest you get a "cake tester" (available on Amazon for cheap). It makes it super easy yo push out the pax screen.

EdwardAlbee

I like the pusher too. I don't think you need the pusher sandwich. I haven't tried it but I think the concensus here is the bottom screen of the sandwich isn't worth it. In place of the pusher (or folded screen), people seem to like the pax oven lid with the extension (that acts as a spacer).

I also suggest you get a pack of extra pax screens. It's great to be able to swap out an old gunked up one with a fresh new one.

I also suggest you get a "cake tester" (available on Amazon for cheap). It makes it super easy yo push out the pax screen.

Thanks for the tips. I shall invest in the pusher I think. Or maybe the half-pack oven lid. And I might get some spare oven screens too, and I'll look into the Cake tester.

For now I shall make a folded screen out of one of my spare Volcano screens. The oven really is very large (too large for me and my girlfriend).

So now I have a Pax 2 and I have used it once, I shall share my thoughts about the device.

It looks fantastic. I think it is the best looking vape that you can buy. And I love the fact it is so small and innocuous looking.

I was surprised by quite how much herb I had to use to pack the oven. I had read that you need to pack it hard, like a brick. This means you use a lot of herb. Far more than I tend to use in my Mighty.

The draw resistance was better than I expected. Not as easy as my Mighty but acceptable.

Despite the amount of herb that I used, I felt that I did not seem to get as many decent rips from it as I do my Mighty. But maybe I need to look at the way I pack it. Also once I get the pusher I am hoping it will be a bit more efficient.

At heat setting 3 it seemed like I was down the dregs quite quickly, but then when I put it up to 4 (the highest) suddenly I was getting thick clouds again, but at this point my girlfriend found it too harsh. And it was pretty harsh. The Mighty is much smoother and more pleasant experience. I really appreciate now just how great the Mighty actually is as a home vaporizer.

It gets pretty warm. By the highest heat setting it is almost burning my lips, but my girlfriend thought it was fine. It's a trade off. The mighty has a mouth stem and ribbing that disipates the heat, but it is too large to fit in my jeans pocket. The Pax 2 is very small, and there is a cost associated with making such a small vaporizer. All things considering it is pretty good in this respect.

Regardless, by the end the Pax 2 got me well and truly ripped. Almost too much. So it does the job.

Now I come to the main negative I have with this device. It is really gives off a bad smell. I would go as far to say that it stinks - almost like poo by the end. And the smell seems to linger. This makes me think that I really could not use the device inside a Cinema for example.

I was aware that people say that it smells, but it was much worse than I expected. Some people say "oh but all vapes smell"... well yes they do, but they don't all smell bad. The Mighty really hardly smells at all, and there is nothing offensive (or suspicious) about the odor. The Pax 2, I think, has an unpleasant smell.

However my main intention with device was to use it as an outdoor vape. My main device at is Storz and Bickel Mighty and I have my original Volcano as my back-up. The Pax 2 I plan to put in my pocket as use when I go for walks, or if I am sitting on the beach in the evening (the Mighty is too big for this purpose). I think with a sea breeze I won't be concerned about the smell.

So all up I am pretty happy with the device. I bought it with a particular purpose in mind. And I think it will fulfil that purpose very well.

Last edited:
EdwardAlbee,

mixchu69

Thanks for the tips. I shall invest in the pusher I think. Or maybe the half-pack oven lid. And I might get some spare oven screens too, and I'll look into the Cake tester.

For now I shall make a folded screen out of one of my spare Volcano screens. The oven really is very large (too large for me and my girlfriend).

So now I have a Pax 2 and I have used it once, I shall share my thoughts about the device.

It looks fantastic. I think it is the best looking vape that you can buy. And I love the fact it is so small and innocuous looking.

I was surprised by quite how much herb I had to use to pack the oven. I had read that you need to pack it hard, like a brick. This means you use a lot of herb. Far more than I tend to use in my Mighty.

The draw resistance was better than I expected. Not as easy as my Mighty but acceptable.

Despite the amount of herb that I used, I felt that I did not seem to get as many decent rips from it as I do my Mighty. But maybe I need to look at the way I pack it. Also once I get the pusher I am hoping it will be a bit more efficient.

At heat setting 3 it seemed like I was down the dregs quite quickly, but then when I put it up to 4 (the highest) suddenly I was getting thick clouds again, but at this point my girlfriend found it too harsh. And it was pretty harsh. The Mighty is much smoother and more pleasant experience. I really appreciate now just how great the Mighty actually is as a home vaporizer.

It gets pretty warm. By the highest heat setting it is almost burning my lips, but my girlfriend thought it was fine. It's a trade off. The mighty has a mouth stem and ribbing that disipates the heat, but it is too large to fit in my jeans pocket. The Pax 2 is very small, and there is a cost associated with making such a small vaporizer. All things considering it is pretty good in this respect.

Regardless, by the end the Pax 2 got me well and truly ripped. Almost too much. So it does the job.

Now I come to the main negative I have with this device. It is really gives off a bad smell. I would go as far to say that it stinks - almost like poo by the end. And the smell seems to linger. This makes me think that I really could not use the device inside a Cinema for example.

I was aware that people say that it smells, but it was much worse than I expected. Some people say "oh but all vapes smell"... well yes they do, but they don't all smell bad. The Mighty really hardly smells at all, and there is nothing offensive (or suspicious) about the odor. The Pax 2, I think, has an unpleasant smell.

However my main intention with device was to use it as an outdoor vape. My main device at is Storz and Bickel Mighty and I have my original Volcano as my back-up. The Pax 2 I plan to put in my pocket as use when I go for walks, or if I am sitting on the beach in the evening (the Mighty is too big for this purpose). I think with a sea breeze I won't be concerned about the smell.

So all up I am pretty happy with the device. I bought it with a particular purpose in mind. And I think it will fulfil that purpose very well.
@Ratchett pax 2 caps to contain the smell
http://delta3dstudios.com/pax2-caps-pair/

Ebben

I also have those silicon caps from delta studio and i like caps very much. When im using unit its smells for sure, but after using im putting those caps on and you cant smell anything. Its better than those smell safe carry bags etc. :)

Also that screen from delta studio is very good. Right now im using also pusher but i ordered that half base lid because im quite sure its easer to use as pusher when u filling it outside and walking same time.

After two weeks using i am very happy pax 2 owner and i like it more than crafty because its very easy to clean and smaller size. :)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
There are some Pax2 users who like to give a quick stir and tamp after the first 2 to 4 draws...
I find this can give a boost to the production without raising the temp setting.
It's also useful to understand the lip-sensing boost feature and how that kicks in. I apologize; I've forgotten where that information lives...

vapviking,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Rockafella

Is there alot of difference between half pack oven lid and using pusher? I like to use only small amount of herb at time..

Rockafella,

Mr. Me2

Is there alot of difference between half pack oven lid and using pusher? I like to use only small amount of herb at time..
The pusher is adjustable. The lid appears to be easier because it's one less piece.

I don't have both (pusher only) so I can't tell you which permits a smaller load.

Hope this helps!

Mr. Me2,

HighSeasSailor

Funny that this question was just asked, I received my half pack lid last week and have been testing it ever since.

I love it. It gets nice air flow and produces the clouds you know and love with less product. I tested between 0.10g and ~0.20g; how little you can use really depends somewhat on the grind and texture of the flower, but you should get satisfactory results anywhere in that range. That's not much different than the results I got with the pusher, because even though the pusher lets you compact a little tighter, if I put too much less than 0.1g in I just don't get a very satisfactory session in general. Seems like such a thin sheet of flower doesn't work as well in this oven, just IMO.

Obviously the big sell on the half pack lid is that it's one piece, no moving or free floating parts, and doesn't need to pair up with the pusher screen that doesn't lock in place to get good air flow. Well, that and the fact that a half pack lid is much cheaper than a lid+pusher+screen combo. Being a single piece is great if you take the Pax 2 on the trail or similar uses, emptying and reloading in impromptu locations needs to be quick and easy and free of loose parts or anything you could lose.

Rockafella

Funny that this question was just asked, I received my half pack lid last week and have been testing it ever since.

I love it. It gets nice air flow and produces the clouds you know and love with less product. I tested between 0.10g and ~0.20g; how little you can use really depends somewhat on the grind and texture of the flower, but you should get satisfactory results anywhere in that range. That's not much different than the results I got with the pusher, because even though the pusher lets you compact a little tighter, if I put too much less than 0.1g in I just don't get a very satisfactory session in general. Seems like such a thin sheet of flower doesn't work as well in this oven, just IMO.

Obviously the big sell on the half pack lid is that it's one piece, no moving or free floating parts, and doesn't need to pair up with the pusher screen that doesn't lock in place to get good air flow. Well, that and the fact that a half pack lid is much cheaper than a lid+pusher+screen combo. Being a single piece is great if you take the Pax 2 on the trail or similar uses, emptying and reloading in impromptu locations needs to be quick and easy and free of loose parts or anything you could lose.

What about using both pusher and half pack lid together, could you use even smaller amounts of herb?

Rockafella,

mrtnluther

Berlin School
I agree....but sometimes I put a really small amt. You need the surface area of the material to really get it cooking. It will work with just a small pinch though. Happy Holidays to everybody!!

mrtnluther,
Reactions: justvapin

HighSeasSailor

I find diminishing returns on loads that are too small. Seems you need to have a reasonable amount of herb in the chamber to get decent results, even with the pusher etc....

This is my opinion as well. I mentioned 0.10g as the lower limit on both not just because of compression of the flower but because it just feels like it's not enough to work efficiently in this particular oven. I end up not liking the results and feeling like the herb was wasted.

vapor 4 life

My pax 2 that I bought my wife yesterday does not turn on. Battery came completely dead n the box. We charged it completely And got one use out of it then nothing. Shows battery level while on charger but no lights other than that. Any ideas?? We love our pax2. My wife is a medical user and has never liked dabbing or vaping until I bought her a pax. She loves it. Goes everywhere with her and other than my jars emptying quickly I was stoked for her to be into vaping. So we go on a hike and she loses her beloved pax 2. So I buy her a replacement and this malfunction happens on the new unit. Just entered a support ticket online. Anyone know how long the return process takes ? She is super bummed to be without her vape and smoking is no longer an option

vapor 4 life,

Mr. Me2

My pax 2 that I bought my wife yesterday does not turn on. Battery came completely dead n the box. We charged it completely And got one use out of it then nothing. Shows battery level while on charger but no lights other than that. Any ideas?? We love our pax2. My wife is a medical user and has never liked dabbing or vaping until I bought her a pax. She loves it. Goes everywhere with her and other than my jars emptying quickly I was stoked for her to be into vaping. So we go on a hike and she loses her beloved pax 2. So I buy her a replacement and this malfunction happens on the new unit. Just entered a support ticket online. Anyone know how long the return process takes ? She is super bummed to be without her vape and smoking is no longer an option
Hey @Ojan_at_PAX, can you help this pax lover out?

breathnslow

First time posting, but I have been browsing these forums lately, and really appreciate the community and the wealth of knowledge here. I have a question that I have been unable to find an answer to and was looking for some advice.

I received a Pax 2 for Christmas, and absolutely have been enjoying it so far! The only issue I have is that it doesn't appear to ever fully charge. I get up to 3 solid petals, and no matter how long I keep it on the charger, the fourth petal always blinks. It doesn't seem to affect the operation at all, but I'm just wondering if this is something I should be concerned with. When I take it off the charger and check the battery level, all 4 petals light up, but everything I've have read said that all of petals will stop flashing once it is fully charged. I'm using a wall charger with the included usb cable and charging dock. I put mine on the dock around 11:30 am this morning, and at 4:00 pm it still doesn't appear to be fully charged. THanks!

breathnslow,

Mr. Me2

First time posting, but I have been browsing these forums lately, and really appreciate the community and the wealth of knowledge here. I have a question that I have been unable to find an answer to and was looking for some advice.

I received a Pax 2 for Christmas, and absolutely have been enjoying it so far! The only issue I have is that it doesn't appear to ever fully charge. I get up to 3 solid petals, and no matter how long I keep it on the charger, the fourth petal always blinks. It doesn't seem to affect the operation at all, but I'm just wondering if this is something I should be concerned with. When I take it off the charger and check the battery level, all 4 petals light up, but everything I've have read said that all of petals will stop flashing once it is fully charged. I'm using a wall charger with the included usb cable and charging dock. I put mine on the dock around 11:30 am this morning, and at 4:00 pm it still doesn't appear to be fully charged. THanks!
Welcome @breathnslow !

Try plugging the usb directly into your pc to charge it and see if it still happens.

If that doesn't change your results, I suggest you pm @Ojan_at_PAX. He's a great guy and very helpful.

zor

Yeah, that's great advice! I'm curious, what is the output on your wall wart?

zor,

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
One of my Iphone wall warts won't even charge my PAX2. Turns off or goes into an error mode. Definitely try another power source.

justvapin,

breathnslow

Welcome @breathnslow !

Try plugging the usb directly into your pc to charge it and see if it still happens.

If that doesn't change your results, I suggest you pm @Ojan_at_PAX. He's a great guy and very helpful.

Thank you so much! I plugged the charger into the usb port on the front of my computer, and now all 4 petals are solid. I'm not sure how much longer I left it on there but it seemed to make the difference.

Yeah, that's great advice! I'm curious, what is the output on your wall wart?
The wall unit I was using said 5 volts, but doesn't mention amps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
I hope this is alright, I just wanted to share what I have found to work best for me with the pax 2, and I hope it can help some other users. It takes me roughly 15-25, 10-20 second draws, to finish a single oven. I use temperature setting 1-3 dry, and I only use 4 with a water piece. The abv will be anywhere between golden brown to dark brown once you are done. I aim for the darker brown side of the spectrum. I save my abv up for cooking with later and have made capsules, butter, sandwiches, etc.

It is possible to take a few draws and set the pax 2 down. I would recommend stirring in between each new session to help evenly heat your material. This will not be the most efficient use of the pax 2, but it can be used this way and for me has lasted an entire day.

The pax 2 does have a residual smell. I would recommend looking into pax 2 caps from delta3dstudios if you want to contain the odor. I have a hydra titan 2 case for mine that also helps reduce smell. It isn't smell proof, but it does a great job reducing the smell emitted. There are also interplanetarydevelopment smell proof bags and one is the size of the pax 2.

Here are some tips that I use to get the best results with my pax 2.

1) A tightly packed oven will give the best results.

2) Finely ground dry herb will aid in giving better efficiency.

3) The oven holds roughly .3-.35g. It will need to be full for best vapor production.

4) When drawing from the pax take slow, long, consistent draws as if you were drinking a hot beverage.

5) Wait 10-15 seconds between draws to let the oven recover.

6) A clean pax is a happy pax. I clean mine every 10-15 sessions.

7) I use temperature settings 1-3 most often. The 4th seems a little hot for my liking.

8) If you want to shrink the size of the oven to increase efficiency, the pax 2 pusher from newvape.com or the screen trick both work very well. Pax also had a half pack lid.

9) Enjoy

As for cleaning the pax 2 here is what I have found works best.

The basic items I use to keep my pax 2 clean are 91% iso or higher, cotton swaps, the pipe cleaners that come with the cleaning kit or zen pipe cleaners from amazon (I have both the soft and rough kind and last I checked they were 132 pack for $6), a damp paper towel, a dry paper towel, and the mflb cleaning brush (I have a mflb and bought a couple spare brushes).

It takes me around 5 minutes to thoroughly clean my pax 2. Originally it took around 10 minutes, but you speed up once you get the process down.

1) Turn the pax on to the highest temperature setting and let it run through one cycle. While this is happening gather all of the items you will need.

2) Let the pax sit off for a minute or so while removing the oven lid and mouthpiece. I use the brush to clear out any large particles that were still inside.

3) Dip a pipe cleaner in the iso so that it is damp. It does not need to be dripping wet. Just wet enough so that it will clean the air path.

4) Run the pipe cleaner through the air path from the top of the pax to the bottom. Inserting the damp end of the pipe cleaner into the top (mouthpiece side) first. This should pop the screen out at the bottom.

5) Slide the pipe cleaner back and forth to clean the air path completely.

6) Once you are done cleaning the air path, use as many cotton swabs as needed to clean the inside of the oven chamber and top of the pax. The cotton swabs will be dipped in iso as well, again they do not need to be soaking wet just damp. Hold the pax upside down while cleaning the oven so that excess iso doesn't run into the pax.

7) Using the paper towels dip one end in iso to clean the mouthpiece, screen, and oven lid. The screen can be soaked in iso, but I have not yet needed to do this. After they are wiped off, I use the damp paper towel and wipe the mouthpiece off to clean off any remaining iso.

8) At this point, if you want to wipe out the oven, top of the pax, or any other parts, I have used the dry paper towel to wipe away any remaining spots.

9) I run the pax on the highest temperature setting to burnoff any iso that I missed. I am not sure if this is necessary, but I feel it makes the next use have no "alcohol" taste.

I hope everyone has a great Friday and weekend. Happy vaping!

Glow

MinnBobber

Any tips for putting the screen back in Pax 2....and getting it to be somewhat level??
And, is it a big performance problem IF it's not level.

Maybe it needs the "World War 2 bomber sighting device" to clearly tell you exactly when it's time to drop the screen?

MinnBobber,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom