• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Pax 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
First, my apologies to @chillersnov8p for seizing the thread. I made a promise to Ploom that I would start this thread but I was waiting for the official release time. It seems others out there (I don't mean chillersnov8p) jumped the gun, but it's a moot point now.

8KxLDbt.jpg

The Pax 2 has already landed at pakalolo's house. Ploom has been hard at work trying to fix the problems with the original Pax, and I'm pleased to tell you that they've done quite well.

The popup mouthpiece is gone. The temperature setting button is gone. Cleaning is a breeze but won't be needed nearly as much. My major criticism of the original was the way it lost flavour because it cooked the load while you weren't hitting it. They've done something about that as well, and it does help a lot.

5PigMlZ.jpg

Here's what in the box. Notice that there's no mouthpiece lube. That's history, the MP system is completely different. The ISO and pipe cleaners are all you need. The USB cable and induction charging dock are new as well. The little black silicone thing on the bottom left is one of the two mouthpieces.

jJn9icY.jpg

This is the charging dock. It works through a USB connection, but if you have the wall wart from the original Pax you can power the induction cradle with it, and you'll get faster charging. I haven't depleted the battery yet so I can't say how long it takes with either method.

You'll note that you lie it on its side to charge. Unlike the original Pax there aren't any issues with the orientation during charging, however. This is because the popup mouthpiece that caused the problems has been eliminated. Instead, you get a choice of two silicone MPs. First, here's a look at the P2 without a mouthpiece in place:

mAIO75e.jpg

Notice the lack of a temperature settings button, so there's nothing to stick if you use ISO in there. Instead of a button, the Pax "X" is pressure-sensitive. A short press toggles it on and off, and a long press puts it in temperature setting mode.

The two mouthpieces are silicone. One is completely flat, while the other is flared and shaped much like the original popup Pax MP.

oK4rq2t.jpg

The flat MP is shown underside up so that you can see the vapour channels. Only one is used at a time, but there's two so that there's no worries about placing the MP wrong way round. Notice the nub in the center of the flat MP. That's what presses down on the pressure-sensitive switch I mentioned. Here's the other side of the flared MP:

fdzG5Nz.jpg

The metal nub serves the same purpose as the silicone nub on the flat MP. Again there are two holes for vapour flow, but only one is in use at a time. Before anyone asks, yes it would be possible to open these out for more flow, but I'm not sure whether the increase would be a good idea since it might overpower the heater.

Here's a look at the new oven:

oNYXFBI.jpg

Notice that the "screen" has much bigger scallops. This increases the vapour flow (reduces restriction) somewhat, but the PS is still not a free-flow device. I don't have a problem with this, but those who want to hoover it like a bong will still find it frustrating. The chamber is deeper and wider but not as long so it holds about 2.0 g of salt compared to 2.5 for the original Pax.

For a size comparison, here's my original Pax side by side with the P2, and a quarter to gice some size perspective. For you Americans, the Canadian quarter is the same size are yours.

Pd68ekA.jpg

Finally (for now) here are portraits of the back and front:

5bnTofN.jpg

hCaommq.jpg

A usage review will come later, however I can tell you right now that the Pax 2 is a definite improvement.

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I just posted this in the o.g Pax thread & then I spotted this thread so thought I should really post in the right place, so here . . . :)

Finally, a redesigned but still very familiar looking Pax!

Such interesting times.

So they are stating the following as improvements over it's predecessor:

• Overall 25% smaller and a more streamlined design
  • 10% lighter
  • 20% deeper oven which heats more evenly & provides a more consistent draw
  • Redesigned mouthpiece - unit ships with both flat & and raised style interchangeable mouthpieces
  • Mouthpiece sensor
  • 4 preset temperatures
  • 4 battery level indicators
  • Increased efficiency with up to 30% longer lasting battery
  • USB or A/C charging

$279.99 available to preorder - not shipping until April 2nd.

A deeper oven?!! :o Not to worry! It may be deeper but we now know that it is also actually smaller :tup:

Well, it will certainly be interesting to see how Pax2 will fare in the current market - possibly releasing at the exact same time as Grasshopper Labs.

Who's up for taking a dip? :science:

It could be fun! :brow:

:peace:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
What did they fix here? Who wanted the oven to be bigger?! Though biggest issue was oven is top big with no standard spacer design for smaller, and it was inefficient? I guess they sag they improved its efficiency, but we'll see about that I suppose. Herbstick deluxe has smart features and still far from efficient technically

Still has proprietary charging and no replaceable battery. I guess smaller is cool, and wireless charging is gimicky (I presume still can use while charging like that?), extra temp setting and smart features useful (depending what they all are exactly...), and they seem to have fixed mouthpiece so no more retractable getting gunked and stuck, likewise button out of vapor path?

mixchu69

I really loved my pax (my first vape) and will never underestimate ploom. Even though the pax may look similar, the experience may be 100% different. I still think the original pax has the best form factor for portables. I am also glad they didn't try to change too much. I will def be interested in the reviews. Pax should have an upgrade program like Haze. Pay $100 and get lifetime updates. That might be a better business plan than trying to sell a $300 Vape with so much cheaper and good quality vapes out there.

Vapetologist

HamsterDAMAGED
They said the oven was deeper - not larger. It's not as wide, but lets just shut down the 'larger' now because PAX isn't claiming that at all. Maybe the different shape facilitated the more efficient heater, or versa?

EDIT:
PAX 1 Volume - 22.6mm x 8.5mm x 9.10mm = 1748.1 cubic mm
PAX 2 Volume - 18.5mm x 8.6mm x 10mm = 1597 cubic mm

Consider round corners, and these measurements fall apart. But since both have round corners, clearly the heating chamber on the PAX 2 is smaller than the PAX 1

EDIT2: already available for pre-order!

Last edited:

SmorezNTickles

It's real.
They said the oven was deeper - not larger. It's not as wide, but lets just shut down the 'larger' now because PAX isn't claiming that at all. Maybe the different shape facilitated the more efficient heater, or vice versa?
Well after some checking dimensions on their website, the Pax oven was measured as 22.225mm x 9.525mm x 9.525 mm, while the Pax 2 comes in at 18.5mm x 8.6mm x 10mm. The volumes, therefore come in at 2016mm^3 for the Pax and 1519mm^3 for the Pax 2, so there has been about a 21% decrease in oven size. This would make sense because of the decrease in actual unit size.

Vapetologist

HamsterDAMAGED
On a call with the media about PAX 2, PAX Labs just also announced an unnamed eCig system to be released soon...Ploom was a tobacco based system that they recently sold off to JTI, and this e-liquid system has a proprietary liquid that uses salts(?) to accelerate the nicotine delivery.

Vapetologist,
Reactions: Snappo

eruptor

Can't wait for some reviews. It seems to me that Ploom took the major suggestions from its core users (ie us) and put them into the upgrade:
  • Smaller more efficient oven
  • Easier charging stand
  • Longer battery life
  • 4 stage batt life indicator
  • Improved mouthpiece design
Of course all these improvements are, as of now, untested and still in the 'marketing' realm. It ships on Apr 2.

For me, I'm interested in this model. I've been using my Pax 1 as my main portable for almost 2 years now with no problems. My only peeve was the large oven though it was easily resolved by bending a filter in half. Actually, the large oven came in handy for concerts and other events.
I'm cautiously optimistic and Looking forward to the reviews!

Last edited:

eruptor

In order for this to be a hit I think it needed a user replaceable battery.
When I first bought my Pax1 I felt the same way, really wanted a replaceable battery. However, after about 2 years of use, I really haven't needed an extra batt or worried about batt life. In fact, I find myself purposely burning out the last hour of charge just to get a full recharge. I use my Pax daily but only charge about once every 10-15 days. Just my opinion!

hi_there

but only charge about once every 10-15 days

Wow, I had no idea it had that kind of battery life! These days many portables are coming out with replaceable batteries so I think it become an extra part of the decision process.

hi_there,
Reactions: eruptor

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
In order for this to be a hit I think it needed a user replaceable battery.

Replaceable batteries might seem attractive but they raise as many issues as they solve, at least where Li-ion batteries are concerned. There are many varieties, and they can be dangerous when misused. Another issue for a manufacturer is that it is easy for someone to use the wrong battery and then blame the device. As you know if you read the threads for devices with replaceable batteries, it isn't easy to determine which ones work and which don't. Then there's the issue of protected batteries vs. unprotected, and of course some manufacturers have commissioned batteries customized to their devices. Arizer and Haze come to mind.

I haven't used the Pax 2 enough to comment on battery life yet.

It has a sensor that tells it to cool down when your lips aren't on it?

I'm not sure how it works, but yes. It's probably electrostatic, I figure. Basically, it starts cooling down as soon as you take it away from your lips. This is how the Pax rep explained it to me:

PAX2's control law uses data taken from the lip sensor to see beyond the measured oven temperature to predict the temperature of the contents of the oven and heat appropriately. This feature provides consistent hits and prevents PAX2 from over-cooking your plant matter when you're not hitting it.

In all oven-based vaporizers, the contents of the oven take longer to heat than the oven itself, so they're still heating up after the oven has hit its set temperature. Additionally, the contents of the oven always cool down during a hit. So, the quality of hits you get from an oven based vaporizer *with fixed oven temp* depends a lot on how long it's been since your last draw.

In PAX2, after heating to its set temperature, the oven cools slowly when you're not hitting it, so that the oven contents don't continue to heat unnecessarily when the device is waiting for you to hit it. When PAX2 detects your lip on the mouthpiece, it heats full power to quickly replenish the heat the oven contents lose during the draw. Heating in this way keeps your plant matter at steadier temperatures than fixed oven temperature does, delivering consistent hits over a wide range of usage patterns.

Makes sense to me, and I can vouch that the Pax 2 does not suffer from rapid flavour degradation like the original. That was, in fact, my major criticism of the original Pax.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I want one :) These look good, I have been missing my old pax a bit, glad I held off on buying another. Will wait it out a while to see how people like the new design. So far it's still the smallest portable I've found that works well. Now it's even smaller... wow!

Last edited:

Kalessin

I really loved my pax (my first vape) and will never underestimate ploom. Even though the pax may look similar, the experience may be 100% different. I still think the original pax has the best form factor for portables. I am also glad they didn't try to change too much. I will def be interested in the reviews. Pax should have an upgrade program like Haze. Pay $100 and get lifetime updates. That might be a better business plan than trying to sell a $300 Vape with so much cheaper and good quality vapes out there.

I agree...I just bought the original Pax last month, and I actually received it on the day they dropped the price. Now I'm really kicking myself for buying too soon.

Jethro

What did they fix here? Who wanted the oven to be bigger?! Though biggest issue was oven is top big with no standard spacer design for smaller, and it was inefficient?

No way, as someone who is on year 3 with the original PAX the biggest issue by absolute far was the mouthpiece design and it being the on/off switch. Hopefully this pressure switch will not be just as easy to malfunction.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
It looks very awkward hitting it. But it does come with an old school mouthpiece if you want to go that route

I've used both mouthpieces. It does feel odd at first using the flat one, but it's really not awkward and I quickly got used to it. The advantage it has is that it completely disguises the function of the Pax 2. If you didn't know it was a vapourizer you would not be able to guess by just looking at it. It's not at all obvious that you inhale from it.

The flared MP feels much like the original while in use. I fear that some people will react badly to the idea of a silicone MP but it doesn't bother me. I didn't detect any taste from either MP. I think I have a pretty sensitive sense of taste, but there are some out there who are supersensitive and of course, taste is a personal thing.

I do think both MPs deliver less restricted flow than the original Pax.

No way, as someone who is on year 3 with the original PAX the biggest issue by absolute far was the mouthpiece design and it being the on/off switch. Hopefully this pressure switch will not be just as easy to malfunction.

Durability remains to be seen, but otherwise all of your MP issues have been resolved. There's nothing to stick or pop out, and if you get stuck in temp setting mode it's because you didn't give it a long press (or shake it, that works too).

valleysquirrel

@pakalolo Does one end of the screen still sort of sit higher than the other or does it fit in there better? I ask because even with the smaller grooves in the og pax screen I occasionally get tiny bits of abv under the screen and in the vapor path because of this. Wouldn't the deeper grooves in the new screen lead to us needing to do more regular maintenance? Other than the mouthpiece issue being gone what will be easier about cleaning the new pax?

Also the new oven lid looks like a major improvement now that the goodies can't get stuck along the sides. I can't find any pics but maybe you can post one? It's something worth mentioning imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom