Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

the ob

all good in the hood.
My iphone does that all the time.

I am not sure why. thanks for posting the pics. I had originally ordered alder, then changed it to walnut based on your first pics. I was second guessing myself after seeing the pics of the alder last night, but now I think I am happy after seeing your new pics. I am sticking with walnut.

whew. that sort of makes sense. the color looks great.

have you done much sanding?

the ob,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
It's a 9mm migrant beaker. Stands a little over 16" so it's kinda big for the pd. And yeah it's kinda full. I'm use to filling it for my vhw still. I go fuller for that because a little pool of water forms above the ice pinches and makes another natural perk of sorts. Plus it's less air volume then which I kinda like. For the pd anyways.

minnesnowta,

lwien

minnesnowta said:
It's a 9mm migrant beaker. Stands a little over 16" so it's kinda big for the pd. And yeah it's kinda full. I'm use to filling it for my vhw still. I go fuller for that because a little pool of water forms above the ice pinches and makes another natural perk of sorts. Plus it's less air volume then which I kinda like. For the pd anyways.
Yeah, that makes sense. Didn't realize that it was that big.

lwien,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Yeah but since it's so thick the inner bore is pretty small so it feels smaller than it actually is.
Pd exchanger for size reference
662820b2.jpg

minnesnowta,

panasonic

Purple-Days said:
Oh, I think somebody was asking about Maple as a wood choice. Two basic types of Maple, the plain white type (both soft and hard) and the Western Maple. The white maples are pretty bland without stains and we won't use stains. The Western Maple has grain patterns and interesting character, but is highly variable in density and beauty and tends to have a lot of waste material. Our buddies who do the laser work and turn the Billy-Bowls use it, but you should see their scrap pile...
Thanks for the follow-up, Tom. Yeah I did a search on your posts and it wasn't clear why Maple wasn't chosen (I was gonna guess "boring without a stain").

If at some point I wanted to make a maple body for my soon-to-be Pandora guts, would mild-moderately figured western maple look alright without a stain? The one you had as a prize looked beautiful

panasonic,
That is a gorgeous PDP Minnesnowta! I bet you are as proud of yours as I am mine. I love that I actually put it all together. Bragging rights to all my friends. Great vid as well.

SkeletonLips,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Sorry to chime in late, but I wanted to share some information about benefits of using the short stems.

IME, the biggest benefit of the whip rippers offered by Purple Days is how easy it is to clean them and replace screens compared to the original (full-length) stems (although I agree that the shorter stems have less torque and, therefore, put less pressure on the female GonG joints into which they are inserted).

Additionally, I have seen many who have sanded their PD stems down to the base of the stainless steel tips (and did not round them off) in order to attach a small piece of glass tubing (usually with a male GonG joint on one end) using about an inch of silicone tubing to connect the two pieces, creating a stem with a virtually all glass and stainless steel in the airpath (and possibly a male GonG joint on one end for ease of use).

I have no problem using a stem with PP5 in the airpath. I just find this set-up easier to clean and like being able to see the vapor travel through the stem.

I even was lucky enough to have a kind and skilled friend make me some stems with tips that are twice as long as the original version.

I do find myself wishing that I had two (or even three) grooves on the tips of those stems, as I has not realized how much easier they make screen replacement.

I hope this sheds some light on why some prefer the shorter stems.

I do not really have a need for another PD at this time, but it is tough to resist the Pandora with the beautiful wood alternatives available. :D

Toke it easy, all! :cool:

Progress,

stinkmeaner

stickstones said:
Stink...you are in a foul mood this morning based on your post here and in the Ion thread. And your post here, again, is proliferating the problem you were bitching about on the Ion thread. You've been here long enough for me to know that you have some good things to say, but this morning you are posting like a hypocritical troll. Step away from the keyboard and take a hit or something.
I don't mean to sound foul but when I saw Vtac and others make comment after comment about the Woodeez vaporizer copying the Puple Days it makes me sick even though I don't either, where did Purple Days get the design? This is nothing original, a stack of washers on metal tube does not make someone an inventor.

And as to the Ion thread, I know I was kinda bitching but it was for the customers benefit, not mine, and I just felt that the company's handling of a broken vaporizer was the wrong, I am sure most would agree. OK enough thread hijacking.

stinkmeaner,

lwien

stinkmeaner said:
I don't mean to sound foul but when I saw Vtac and others make comment after comment about the Woodeez vaporizer copying the Puple Days it makes me sick even though I don't either, where did Purple Days get the design? This is nothing original, a stack of washers on metal tube does not make someone an inventor.

And as to the Ion thread, I know I was kinda bitching but it was for the customers benefit, not mine, and I just felt that the company's handling of a broken vaporizer was the wrong, I am sure most would agree. OK enough thread hijacking.
What Zephyr did is not wrong at all. It is a very common practice that if a product is not purchased through an authorized dealer, the warranties and null and void. This is especially common in the consumer electronics field. It is also a very common practice that if a particular piece of gear is opened up, that also voids the warranty. Being that both of these things happened here, I feel that Zephyr is totally within their rights not to honor any warranty repairs, but with that being said, Bruce did ask this user to email him directly. He wouldn't have asked this if he didn't plan on doing something to help ease this users pain.

But bringing up this WDZ/PD debate again is doing nothing but............. :horse: . The simple fact is, is that Todd did copy the Toms design. What Tom did, however, was to IMPROVE the original design, not just copy it. There is a big difference here in how these two products came into being, but if you refuse to see those differences, than I guess there's nothing more to be said.

lwien,

lwien

stickstones said:
^^^
let's not continue this any further, unless you want to pm each other or something.
Okydokie. Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said.

lwien,

UrutuBsb

Maconheiro
Purple-Days said:
...I know this was a freak thing, but Brazil took 88 days (once). :lol:...
I remember that :rolleyes:.

Hi Tom and Pammy and everybody.

Tom, got a little question:

Is the mounting process of the Pandora PD comparable of the old PDs way?

I mean: after read/watch the DVD provided with the Pandora Kit, can I be able to disassemble, change a died resistor (WHEN and IF it dies), and remount the old PD again?

Note that my PD has the led circuit, but has no dark fins, I suppose.

Im planning to order one Pandora Kit and that question appeared in my mind.

UrutuBsb,

Purple-Days

Glad to see you around UrutuBsb. Yes the PD and PDP are exactly the same construction.

The Dark Fins started out as a lark (a fun thing), but it turns out there is science behind them. It's a physics :science: thing. "Thats because to conserve energy, the best absorbers (those looking black) have to be the best emitters. Anton Smirnov

Well, I was excited about the new screen cutter, but it will either take some PD shop modifications (I have two in mind) or it's a $600 bust. Oh well, always trying to improve. back to the drawing board.

More Walnut and Cherry back from the Laser Man. More Alder on the way from our Wood Man. Gonna talk to him about other woods in a week or so. Hickory is one I am excited to try.

The Laser Man has Kiln Dried Myrtlewood (always has had). Of course we only use Kiln Dried woods. I have been reluctant, in the past, to use Myrtlewood. But, screw it , I was the first to use Myrtlewood, back in 2005, from this same supplier, and might as well offer it, if there is any interest.

The lid on this bowl is Myrtlewood.
2wrlxqu.jpg

This is a Myrtlewood box from a local maker.
s58j.jpg

And this is a Billy-Bowl.
3346smb.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of variation in tone and pattern. No predictions.

Purple-Days,

the ob

all good in the hood.
tom,
how will myrtlewood compare to the other exotics you are using in terms of density, durability etc?

the ob,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Just finished my build this morning. WOW. That was fun! Can't say thanks enough to Tom and Pammy for such a great product. I look forward to using it soon. I'm going to apply some buss butter and post some pictures sometime today... if I get to it. :ko:

HighSti,

the ob

all good in the hood.
o.k.. just changed my order to myrtlewood. maybe I was the first this round? all I know is that I need to stop changing my mind and bugging them........

the ob,

Purple-Days

Ob, Myrtlewood is variable, and a bit more dense than Black Walnut. I have put a chart of the densities up on our site, next to the purchase choices, but will review it here.

This is based on average density, of the woods that I have held, and know about, not book values... Cherry, Alder and Black Walnut are all pretty equal. Myrtlewood is a bit more dense, followed by the Ash which is densest of all. All are acceptable, but if you are a patient who needs slightly lower temps (like Pammy wants) a denser wood is what you want. She uses her Rosewood unit exclusively, which is more dense than the Ash. It's a matter of preference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjSFiHiIwIQ
2a75zdw.jpg

Thank you, HiSti, it's our pleasure to make something that is fun for folks on a different level.
This is fun for us too. Can't wait to see an Alder all buttered up. :)

Purple-Days,

the ob

all good in the hood.
how does the density effect the usage? I know it means that it will run a bit cooler, but how does that translate exactly?

myrtlewood was an atheistic choice for me. I am assuming that there is not a tremendous difference in the usage?

sorry if I am asking a million questions. I am fairly new to vaporization. I promise the questions will stop at some point......

edit....I did some research and found my own answers. I cannot wait to get it. pick me out a good one!

the ob,

Purple-Days

Yeah, I liked the grain, Skel, but like you said those pix didn't show it off at it's best. Lighting makes a big difference in a picture. And it's nearly impossible to show the figure in some woods, it's so subtle. Hope you are doing well. ;)

This is Western Maple.
scb806.jpg

It tends to have beautiful grain but, like Alder can be wasteful. We will try to keep the price the same for all these woods. Western Maple also called Broad Leaf Maple is another local species. It is in the same density range as the Alder, Cherry and Walnut.
Several of the prototype Purple-Days were made from this wood, and now it's back. :party:

Just ran out to the Laser Man's shop and started the ball rolling on both Myrtlewood and Western Maple. Another meeting Monday morning with everyone, should settle things. Probably have the first 'new wood' bodies back later in the week.

Like I have said these are not exotic woods. They are North American Hardwoods*.
When I think of exotics I think of the devastation in the rainforest, poachers going in and stealing heritage trees. Then the roads and clear-cuts with no thought of re-planting a forest. I love beautiful woods, always have, but as a manufacturer I am responsible for the demise of these trees. My demand creates the market. If there is no demand for Ivory, poaching is reduced. If there was no demand for exotic woods poaching is reduced and maybe the destruction of a few acres of habitat is put off for another year or two. My impact can't be much, but it's been a start. I take a stand against forest exploitation. We don't use exotics.

*BTW: Myrtlewood is an Evergreen, but is dense and hard. It's actually considered a tone-wood and has been used by musical instrument makers. You can use the leaves of this tree like bay leaves. The wood can have a bit of an odor (similar to Bay) when green or PAD, but this is not a problem in Kiln Dried material.

BTW2: here is a Black Walnut Bowl for comparison.
qy7rtg.jpg

All woods vary from tree to tree and even depending on the part of the tree they are from, so these examples are just that, examples...

Purple-Days,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
*BTW: Myrtlewood is an Evergreen, but is dense and hard. It's actually considered a tone-wood and has been used by musical instrument makers.
Talk about beautiful myrtlewood musical instruments:

lwien,
Top Bottom