Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

the ob

all good in the hood.
when you say that the ash is harder and denser yielding a slightly cooler temp, do you mean to the touch? Is there a wood that you prefer or is it just a matter of atheistic?

the ob,

Purple-Days

Vapor temps are dependent on lots of factors. All other factors asside... In this style vape the wood density has an effect on R-Value (insulation). Better insulation = more retained heat and higher temps. Dense woods will transmit more heat and run a little cooler.

Purple-Days,

the ob

all good in the hood.
tom, do you have a favorite wood? I know it is personal preference. I ordered the alder. just curious about your preferences. I guess I am wondering about the durability of alder vs the cherry. I also am curious how each will age. thanks for answering my stupid questions.

the ob,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I would love to see some pics of the alder and walnut buttered up fully. I have seen the pics on their website, but I bet it looks different when the whole unit is done. Anyone? I ordered the alder, but am second guessing myself.

the ob,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
They just got to us man. Exotics are brand new. I have a walnut up and running but needs to have leather put on and sanded still. I'll whore it out when it's all done, trust me. Gimme a day or two

minnesnowta,

the ob

all good in the hood.
how does the walnut look? just impressions. As I said, I ordered the alder and am now obsessing over my color choice. It is hard to tell from the small color swatches that are shown on the site. I can't wait until you post some pics.....

the ob,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
:D guess what showed up today?

Well I opened up the box and everything was there and nicely packaged. The alder is absolutely beautiful. I pit a little buzz butt on it and it looks great. I'm quite busy this week and probably wont be able to make it to the build until saturday morning. Im super excited to get this baby up and running. Pictures on the way once im done. :)

Thanks again Tom and Pammy!

HighSti,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
It's super dark. Which I wanted. From what little Tom buzz buttered up I'm betting it will look amazing. This is the only picture I took of it so far. It's on the right, original cherry on the left with a year of aging
783f864d.jpg

minnesnowta,

the ob

all good in the hood.
nice. thanks for the pic. are there little imperfections on the top? do those get sanded out? It looks really great!

the ob,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
They're just dark spots in the wood. Character marks if you will. I'm not sure if they'll come out yet but wouldn't be upset if they didn't.

Top down, better lighting
ded07171.jpg

minnesnowta,

panasonic

Hey Tom, maybe this isn't the place for a question like this (sorry if it isn't!) but is it possible to pay a little extra to get a hardwood plug for the bottom instead of ply? I know I could just order one built instead of the kit, but building stuffs is fun :D

After several weeks of reading threads on here and hemming and hawing about what kind of vaporizer I'd be okay with, I think I've decided that I use so infrequently (twice a month) that any sort of issues stemming from exposure to tin or copper wouldn't really be a big deal (basically talked myself out of the prior paranoia). That and it did occur to me that we ate tinned food for quite some time and came out alright...

panasonic,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
The reason he doesn't do hardwood ones is because they require a saw to cut them off flush. Most people don't have one and that would make the difficulty alot higher. I don't think there would be any difference between the two anyways... :2c:
:peace:

minnesnowta,

Purple-Days

Be careful using Buzz-Butter :buzz: before you do the final assembly. :2c: Getting the oils and waxes on the bottom (end grain) will prevent the glue from holding properly and your leather may not stick.

Bottom plywood vs. Hardwood... As Minnesnowta says you need a chop saw to cut it flush, one small slip and you are ruined. Plus going to the plywood bottom is safer for everybody. That Pandora body is only 4.5 inches long and you would have to hold it while you chop. That puts fingers pretty damn close to a blade that will remove wood and fingers too. Fine for me (when I used to do it that way) I have been a professional carpenter, but maybe you (all the Pandora builders) haven't... How would I feel, if you fucked up and took off a couple of fingers?

Second the plywood is stronger. I'll try to explain. If you take a piece of wood and turn it (to a dowel shape) the fibers of the wood are all running in one direction, along the length of the dowel... Think of the dowel like bologna, slice of a piece and the grain is still going perpendicular to the circumference. Ie. short 1/8" fibers making a 2" disk. While it is a hardwood, it is not as hard as a 1'8" three ply Birch plywood with the wood grains running in the same plane as the plywood and in three orientations.

One of the last steps in boring a body is getting the depth of that 2" hole as close as possible. I set my depth gauge (on the drill press) to just shy of proper depth, drill, then shim with cardstock to get the plywood as flush as possible. Testing the depth on each unit as I work, with a sample of plywood. Sometimes it's one biz card, sometimes two, but it is done as precise as possible, so you have as little sanding to do, as I can make it. A little bit sanding (elbow grease) and it is flush, safe... vs. making folks use power tools that they may not be so familiar with.

BTW all Purple-Days are made with the Birch plywood bottoms nowdays. I am always trying to improve our product and consider this an improvement.

Just a little about metals.

This from Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin
Tin is a chemical element with the symbol Sn (Latin: Stannum) and atomic number 50. Tin can be highly polished and is used as a protective coat for other metals in order to prevent corrosion or other chemical action (such as tinned copper). Because of its low toxicity, tin-plated metal is also used for food packaging, giving the name to tin cans, which are made mostly of aluminium or steel. Tin is added to some dental care products[6][7] as stannous fluoride (SnF2). It has also been shown to be more effective than sodium fluoride in controlling gingivitis.[9]

This from Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper
Copper (pronounced /?k?p?r/, KOP-?r) is a chemical element with the symbol Cu (Latin: cuprum) and atomic number 29. In sufficient amounts, copper salts can be poisonous to higher organisms as well. However, despite universal toxicity at high concentrations, the Cu2+ ion at lower concentrations is an essential trace nutrient to all higher plant and animal life. In animals, including humans, it is found widely in tissues, with concentration in liver, muscle, and bone. It functions as a co-factor in various enzymes...
Biological role
Rich sources of copper include oysters, beef or lamb liver, Brazil nuts, blackstrap molasses, cocoa, and black pepper. Good sources include lobster, nuts and sunflower seeds, green olives, avocados and wheat bran.
Copper is essential in all plants and animals. The human body normally contains copper at a level of about 1.4 to 2.1 mg for each kg of body weight.[51] Copper is distributed widely in the body and occurs in liver, muscle and bone. Copper is transported in the bloodstream on a plasma protein called ceruloplasmin. When copper is first absorbed in the gut it is transported to the liver bound to albumin. Copper metabolism and excretion is controlled delivery of copper to the liver by ceruloplasmin, where it is excreted in bile.
Copper is found in a variety of enzymes, including the copper centers of cytochrome c oxidase and the enzyme superoxide dismutase (containing copper and zinc). In addition to its enzymatic roles, copper is used for biological electron transport. The blue copper proteins that participate in electron transport include azurin and plastocyanin. The name "blue copper" comes from their intense blue color arising from a ligand-to-metal charge transfer (LMCT) absorption band around 600 nm.

Most molluscs and some arthropods such as the horseshoe crab use the copper-containing pigment hemocyanin rather than iron-containing hemoglobin for oxygen transport, so their blood is blue when oxygenated rather than red.[52]

About Exotic woods. We offer Alder, Ash, Cherry and Walnut. All from North America and all renewable resources. Nice, different, but not exotic in the usual sense. Here is an excerpt from a response inquiring about 'exotic' woods.

"Sorry, but most exotic woods are too dense and don't provide the proper insulation.

We are also against the grey market of exotic woods. Many of which are collected illegally. Once it's cut there is no way to know where it came from and stopping the demand is the only way to stop the poaching of these woods and the habitat they provide.

We only use renewable North American species."

So I have two reason not to offer exotic woods, poor function and bad JuJu. :cool:

Some exotic woods such as Tea Tree and Mango which are grown on plantations may be acceptable, but sources of these are limited.

Purple-Days,

the ob

all good in the hood.
tom,
the amount of information you provide on this site is unbelievable. your passion is one of the main reasons I decided to order the pandora kit.

btw, I just sent you guys an email changing my kit choice to black walnut. thanks.

the ob,

Flyer

good choice ob. I have learned more about my 420 needs in the past 1/2year than I ever thought possibly, from here. Love the site love the products.

Flyer,

the ob

all good in the hood.
minnesnowta,
I changed my order to the black walnut based on your pics. I look forward to more when you get a chance.

the ob,

panasonic

Okay, cool. I think (due to lack of knowledge) I had the wrong impression, thanks for shedding light on it Tom!

panasonic,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
I just glued the leather up. Tommorow it will be all finished. And I got some bubba kush to break her in right. I can't wait

minnesnowta,
Glued up the leather, but I took her for a quick test run after about 2 hours of drying, haven't cut or sanded, yet. And she runs perfect. The first hit was a nice blast of vapor for only heating up for about 30 minutes. I can't wait for the glue to dry completely so I can cut and sand the leather.
Tom's instructions and videos were great. They never left me wanting more, or a better explanation. The only problems I had were on my end. I also thought the stems would be difficult to sand a rounded edge on, but with Tom's tip about the drill, they were easy as cake to finish. The soldering was a little difficult, and I also burned a bit of wood on the inside of the bottom, but once I got the hang of it, my solders were all mostly shiny. If I can build a Pandora, anyone can, in my opinion. I am excited to see what it looks like once I have it all buzz buttered. Thank you Tom for giving me the opportunity to build one of your Purple Days. I don't think this'll be my last.

SkeletonLips,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
The only part I've had problems with was the clip on top. It slipped off my pliers and shot across the room so I had to crawl around and find it. I haven't done the stems yet either but I have glass ones anyways... I can't wait for glue to dry. Dark wood with light leather should look real good :cool:....

minnesnowta,

panasonic

Hey Tom, I did a search but couldn't seem to figure out if maple was ever going to come back? I understand if you don't have time to offer too many different types of wood, just wonderin' whatever happened to the idea.

panasonic,

the ob

all good in the hood.
minnesnowta,
have you buttered yours down yet? it looked like it from the pics. I was wondering if you had done it or if tom did it in the shop.

the ob,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Nope. It is still rough and kindof dull at the moment. Leather is glued up and drying and Im not going to do finish sanding or buzz butter till I can cut the leather. Tommorow morning i'll wrap the build up

minnesnowta,
I wanted to add that I customized one of my stems. Before I sanded down my 3rd stem, I cut more than half of it off. I then sanded and finished it as usual. Viola! Mini-stem for my future glass bong! Seeing the ones Tom and Todd offered inspired this. Now to save up for that mini-beaker lwien is always raving about.

SkeletonLips,
Top Bottom