Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

Purple-Days said:
Pammy says she is really enjoying being back in the customer service loop. :tinfoil: :lol:
She is a natural at dealing with us vaporheads. She is just too sweet to us. And amazingly quick at providing any answers to questions we have. You should give that gal a raise.
Oh, and I'm glad I didn't have all these options while I was picking out my Pandora kit. I woulda gone crazy trying to figure out the right combination of leather and wood. Alder and Elk go great together, so I got lucky. I also noticed that the alder is the least dense of all your woods. No wonder my unit is at the upper end of the vapor range. I love it. Thanks, Tom and Pammy, you are making a lot of people happy.

SkeletonLips,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I had not been following this thread due to lack of interest (I have two PD's already). But all these options have quickly made this the sickest vape thread out there! The idea of a Myrtle PD with custom leather is making me drool! Tom, you are gonna have too many orders for this thing!

stickstones,

bstar

Just ordered mine, alder with bison hide. So excited!!!

Hubby just yesterday agreed to get me this when my latest paycheck comes. Got back home that night and it was in the mailbox! So glad the timing was right for this sharp-looking new selection. :D

bstar,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Okay folks.... can anyone help with some Pandora troubleshooting please?

My friend built his Pandora and wanted to test before attaching the bottom. It wasn't heating up and he brought it over. The wall wart wasn't getting warm either I noticed. Grabbed the wall wart from my yet unassembled Pandora and plugged it into his, not warming up and notice the wall wart not warming either though I think it did the first time we plugged it in.

The solder joints look good and I asked if maybe the wires inside the heat tube were perhaps touching, shorting something out. He used a knife to be sure the wires weren't touching inside.

I think it's shorting out the wall warts as I tried another (duh) from my backup PD and now it's not heating said backup. Sounds like shorting maybe? I'm not technically saavy.

Any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Lo,

tuttle

Sounds like it could be a short if it killed 3 transformers. Do any of your friends have a multimeter? That will tell you right away. You can buy cheep ones at Radio Shack for like $10

multimeter440.jpg

tuttle,

Lo

Lol... Thanks Tuttle. We have a multimeter but lack the skills to use it... Don't know what all the settings mean. Any advice on how to locate the short appreciated. Thanks so much!!!!

Lo,

Purple-Days

Yep, he's right, a short will kill a transformer.

If you don't have a meter there is a low tech way to check for a short.
The car cord has an LED and fuse. Plug the car cord in and check for the LED.

Next plug the PD in. If it's a short you will blow the car cord fuse and the LED will go off.

The fuse is located under the silver metal cap on the plug. Unscrew it carefully there is a spring in there. Blown fuse will need replaced, but this will say for sure that you have a short.

The wires must go through separate holes and must not touch.

Let us know if you need further help by e-mail. Troubleshooting by committee is not the best way.

BTW the horseshoe shaped symbol is Ohms. Set it at 200 and read the answer. Should be around 20, but if it's a short will read closer to zero.

If the bottom of the unit is open just touch the test leads to the two sides of the jack or the two screws. If the unit is buttoned up you can test from the center pin and outer shield of the power jack.

Glad you like the choices Stick. I think folks will like the variety. I mean, how many Alder with Bison Leather vapes are there in the world? :cool: Thanks for choosing us, Bstar.

Purple-Days,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist

I'm in love. :D turns out the density of the alder makes for higher end vape temperatures which is awesome. Also, disregard the launchbox in the background... whoops. :uhoh:

HighSti,

Purple-Days

Just added some Pandora pics to the customer photo page.
http://purple-days.com/CustomerPhotos.html

And sent an e-mail to our Leather Man, made a couple of errors ended up with $50 credit and thought, what the heck?
35jjaf9.jpg

This is a swatch sampler. Ten random leathers. I have no idea what we will get. Should be interesting. Asked for wild, interesting and unusual... ;)

21 leather choices. :o Gonna make it a real interesting decision for folks. Of course these small samples will not yield many vapes, so very limited edition stuff.

Purple-Days,

the ob

all good in the hood.
edit
looked at the website and answered my own question.

I ordered the bison to go with my myrtlewood. should be great.

the ob,

Lo

Wow! All the new leathers look NICE!!

I loaned my friend a multimeter and told him to check this thread.

Are the wires touching the most likely cause of short by chance?? Thanks again!

Lo,

Purple-Days

The only cause. Sorry to say. Since you can see the bottom cavity and that's not the problem... it's gotta be up top. Wires mashed into each other. When he get's to the bottom of the trouble give us a shout, we can get some replacement parts out at a reasonable price. ;)

Purple-Days,

panasonic

Progress said:
I do find myself wishing that I had two (or even three) grooves on the tips of those stems, as I has not realized how much easier they make screen replacement.

I hope this sheds some light on why some prefer the shorter stems.

I do not really have a need for another PD at this time, but it is tough to resist the Pandora with the beautiful wood alternatives available. :D

Toke it easy, all! :cool:
I don't know if this is OK to post but since the PD kit doesn't have a warranty to void, I bet if you took a dull tube cutter to the stainless tip, you could create more grooves. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

For those who are debating heavily what kind of wood to get (like me), here's a page I've found that has pretty decent pictures of some of the woods:

http://www.misterstandman.com/woodstain2.htm

I know the pics might not reflect the actual appearance, but at least this gives a better impression of the differences in color between woods (since most of the pics appear to have been taken with the same camera in similar lighting conditions)

Obviously the source of the wood will change what it looks like

panasonic,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
The AC adapter for the pd is 12 volts if im correct? seems as if it runs super warm but when I was with my cousin the other day, I had a 12 volt MZ ac adapter plugged in and it seemed to run a bit cooler, although id need to do it again to confirm.

HighSti,

Purple-Days

Wall power supplies can vary from one electronics mfg. to another.

We have always used Jameco 12V power supplies, part #10081, since day one. Quality supplies by Reliapro, very consistent. The price of these has risen dramatically over the last couple of years, but we will not sacrifice quality to save a few bucks. That's not how we do it in PD Land. :cool:

Purple-Days,

panasonic

Hey Tom, I hope you don't mind all the questions--I'd send em by email but I figure these are the types of questions other people might want to know.

Is the myrtle wood typically more figured than maple in your experience? From what I gather, wood is totally random depending entirely upon the tree,

but every example on google image search for myrtle wood returns woods that are much more figured than a search for maple, and I can't figure out if this is because A) it just happens to be that way or B) people only make stuff out of the highly figured bits.

From what I can tell, the coloration goes, from dark to light:

Walnut
Cherry
Alder - Myrtle(?)
Maple
Ash

panasonic,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Purple-Days said:
...but we will not sacrifice quality to save a few bucks. That's not how we do it in PD Land. :cool:
Always love hearing what you have to say. I don't think I will ever get over how much I love my new friend, although the bastard did burn me while i was trying to apply the buzz. Not badly in anyway, dont worry.

Wow Tom, Im pretty impressed with the MASSIVE selection you now got going. Like someone else said earlier, I think you introduced a whole new concept that hasn't been explored by vapes. The one vape that customers can truly choose what they want. Glad I ordered earlier to avoid the countless hours of debating and second guessing myself.:lol:

HighSti,

the ob

all good in the hood.
HighSti said:
Purple-Days said:
...but we will not sacrifice quality to save a few bucks. That's not how we do it in PD Land. :cool:
Always love hearing what you have to say. I don't think I will ever get over how much I love my new friend, although the bastard did burn me while i was trying to apply the buzz. Not badly in anyway, dont worry.

Wow Tom, Im pretty impressed with the MASSIVE selection you now got going. Like someone else said earlier, I think you introduced a whole new concept that hasn't been explored by vapes. The one vape that customers can truly choose what they want. Glad I ordered earlier to avoid the countless hours of debating and second guessing myself.:lol:
high,
trust me the extensive choices are a nighmare (in a good way!) I have second guessed myself a dozen times. settled on a myrtlewood with a bison leather bottom.

the ob,

panasonic

I think I just figured it out, apparently myrtle wood tends to have darker streaks of pigment present as well as a much greater variation in pigment in the same piece of wood, which would make any figure present much more noticeable

panasonic,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
the ob said:
high,
trust me the extensive choices are a nighmare (in a good way!) I have second guessed myself a dozen times. settled on a myrtlewood with a bison leather bottom.
I could only imagine what a fun task it must of been deciding on a good wood, and then a leather to match. sounds so.... unique. :D I'm just staring at my alder unit and honestly, im beyond satisfied. Although im quite sure if i had the option of myrtle wood at the time, that would have drove me nuts.:ko::lol:

HighSti,

lwien

ATTENTION ALL CURRENT PANDORA OWNERS

If you purchased a Pandora before these custom woods and leathers became available, and have either received and built your Pandora, or it is in the mail, have no fear.
For one week only, Tom has decided to take each one back and exchange it for the Pandora of your dreams. Tom will even pick up the postage...............both ways.
Hurry.............one week only.

(runs and dives behind the couch............) :ninja:

lwien,

lwien

HighSti said:
not that i would... but seriously!? :o
No. No :lol: I'm kidding.

I think making jokes on the 'puter while vaked can get me in trouble.

lwien,

aero18

vaporist
HighSti said:
The AC adapter for the pd is 12 volts if im correct? seems as if it runs super warm but when I was with my cousin the other day, I had a 12 volt MZ ac adapter plugged in and it seemed to run a bit cooler, although id need to do it again to confirm.
It is because of the campus' power usage. At home, 12 volts is comparatively pretty hot. Since so many people are connected to the grid here, the power seems a tad bit low at times and is probably why you thought that the 12 volt was running a bit cool.

This is why it is useful to have a 13.5 volt adapter. :)

aero18,
Top Bottom