Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

lwien

SkeletonLips said:
I wanted to add that I customized one of my stems. Before I sanded down my 3rd stem, I cut more than half of it off. I then sanded and finished it as usual. Viola! Mini-stem for my future glass bong! Seeing the ones Tom and Todd offered inspired this. Now to save up for that mini-beaker lwien is always raving about.
Never used the mini-stems with mine. I was thinking about getting a few, but then I thought that pulling that little stem out of the beakers downstem may make me more prone to burning my fingers on the bowl or dropping the stem. The regular ones work perfect for me.

What advantage do you see in using them, Skel?

lwien,
I just see them as being more stable in the downstem. Probably less force on it as well. Plus I think it just looks cool. If it proves pointless, then I can always attach tubing to it to lengthen it.

SkeletonLips,

Infinite Cosmos

Quantum Foam
minnesnowta said:
Nope. It is still rough and kindof dull at the moment. Leather is glued up and drying and Im not going to do finish sanding or buzz butter till I can cut the leather. Tommorow morning i'll wrap the build up
It's lookin' sick man, can't wait to see that one in person.

Infinite Cosmos,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
The pd doesn't wobble as much. No smoke had a short one. I did the same thing with one of mine. Gotta love glass :cool:

minnesnowta,

lwien

SkeletonLips said:
I just see them as being more stable in the downstem. Probably less force on it as well. Plus I think it just looks cool. If it proves pointless, then I can always attach tubing to it to lengthen it.
Thru my experience, stability or force on the stem or the beaker is a non issue.

It's just that the stem fits so perfectly in the downstem of the HVY mini-beaker, that it has a tendency to get a bit stuck in there. It really does make for an airtight connection, but being that it does stick in there a bit, I would think that with a really short stem, it could be a bit of a hassle. The regular stems work just right, at least for me, but let us know how the shorties do for ya.

lwien,

lwien

minnesnowta said:
The pd doesn't wobble as much. No smoke had a short one. I did the same thing with one of mine. Gotta love glass :cool:
Yeah, I guess if you're using tubing between the stem and the PD, it may make more sense, but I just hold my PD over the stem in the beaker. Has been working great. I just haven't seen the need to use any kind of tubing.

lwien,
I couldn't wait overnight. I figured 6 hours of dry time was enough, so I cut the leather and gave her a good sanding, followed by a generous coating of buzz butter. The pictures do not do this thing justice. If you look at the second picture closely you can see the markings around the Pandora logo I was talking about. They almost appear holographic in real life. No wonder Tom chose the "side" for the front of this thing. That is the kind of attention to detail that I adore. I could pick mine out of a pile of alder PDPs just by looking around the logo. Thanks again Tom! This piece is now my pride and joy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SkeletonLips,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
the ob said:
tom,
the amount of information you provide on this site is unbelievable. your passion is one of the main reasons I decided to order the pandora kit.
Yep, Tom has given back more to this site than any other manufacturer 10 times over. And that's not a knock against the others, just a testament to how much Tom and Pammy care about their customers and product.

When I first heard about the plywood bottoms a few months back I thought "wow, that's the first cost cutting measure for the PD". Nice to hear the whole story, so many incremental improvements. :tup:

SkeletonLips said:
Before I sanded down my 3rd stem, I cut more than half of it off. I then sanded and finished it as usual. Viola! Mini-stem for my future glass bong! Seeing the ones Tom and Todd offered inspired this.
Just to clarify, Tom offered the mini tubes and then Todd copied them the same as he copied the PD. That's not a knock against Todd, just the way it is.

The standard size tubes aren't difficult to use with ground glass joints by any means but the mini tubes are quite a bit more convenient in my opinion. The little tins they come in are great, too, amazing how useful a little tin like that is... same for the muslin bags. Gotta love all the quality extras.

Nice grain by the way!

vtac,

Purple-Days

Thanks Tac. It's a pleasure to share info and a privilege to have a place to do it. Thanks again.

Vtac says,"When I first heard about the plywood bottoms a few months back I thought "wow, that's the first cost cutting measure for the PD". Nice to hear the whole story, so many incremental improvements."

I really hadn't even thought about it as a cost cutter (cause it's not ;) ). I am trying to think if I have made any cost cutting moves, made only for the cost savings and can't think of any... I have made a few changes, on the way, but have always done them to improve, cost just doesn't matter. And if it's not an improvement I won't do it.

The bottom plug is a good example. Plywood costs money, I need a special tool to cut the disks. Scrap cherry was free, but the plywood is stronger and better. If it's better, there is no further question in PD Land, we do it, cause it's better.

:buzz: Using high quality, cold pressed, organic plant oils and bee's wax from a chemical free apiary, is an example of doing it the right way from the start, but I have improved the formula a bit (now with organic Hemp Oil too). I just couldn't think of using cheap petroleum distillates, because they were cheaper. :disgust:

I'm constantly looking for time savers, which reduce cost, but never at the sacrifice of quality. :)

Screen cutting is the most recent improvement. I used to use a sharpened piece of tubing and spun that on the drill press cutting them against scrap cherry. It has worked for over two years. Works... but it's slow (have to remove the cutter every 8-10 screens, empty and re-chuck) and washing the occasional stray cherry fibers out... plus the screens weren't always perfect.

Today the new screen cutter system arrived. $600 worth of tool and no motor. I really like quality tools. Perfect little screen disks. I do this because it is better, not cheaper. It's the way we do things.

Actually, I thought about shorty tubes, with Vapezilla style flexible tubing* a long while back, but never made any of them. It was a FC member who asked me to build him a few, and I credit him with the other half of the idea and the motivation to go ahead with the project. He was going to use them in a gong joint and use water filtration, both of which I hadn't considered. So seeing more than one use for them, we now offer them.

If you have a saw, and the confidence to use it safely, the #5 PP cuts like wood. Even a hacksaw would work to cut the length and you can shape the tube end with sandpapers, round it over and smooth it out.

* BTW Wicked Roots sells short lengths of tygon tubing.
http://www.wickedroots.com/Vaporizer-Accessories/Medical-Vaporizer-Tubing.html

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

Every heard of the 'red seat' ? :uhoh: Either to designate a sick person's tube or keep your own tube seperate. These are easy to make if you have access to a 1/2" chuck and a file. Spin the tube and use the right angle edge of the file to cut a groove or two. :science:

Purple-Days,
It's official, my PDP's name is "Honey", because that's what color it is. I just put another coat of buzz butter on Honey, and it's color has darkened and deepened the grain. It's gorgeous. If anyone is worried about how the alder turns out, don't be. It is a wonderful wood for a PDP. Plus I have to admit, that Tom's craftsmanship is more refined and ( imagine me staring at my PDP for about 5 minutes here, and realizing that the front of Honey has a neat, almost holographic stripe running the entire length of its body) way more attention oriented than Todd's WDZ.
My Pandora didn't come with tooling marks on it. It is also a little bit thicker than my WDZ, which is sorta funny because I requested Todd to leave mine a little thicker than normal. Other than that, they are pretty much functionally the same, though I think Honey might run a little hotter than Stumpy. Might just be my mind playing tricks on me.
Thank you Tom for giving me the chance to build this one of a kind tool that also happens to be good lookin' as well. I highly recommend the PDP to anyone who is thinkin' about it. It's fun and educational. Know your vape, you know.

SkeletonLips,
Purple Days Pandora? Pandora Purple Days? I think the first one sounds better, I second guessed myself before, but settled on PDP.

SkeletonLips,

lwien

SkeletonLips said:
Purple Days Pandora? Pandora Purple Days? I think the first one sounds better, I second guessed myself before, but settled on PDP.
Damn, you're quick. ;) PDP, PPD, PK, or...........The Panda :/

But yeah, Tom does some beautiful work, eh?

lwien,

Purple-Days

Purple-Days Pandora, PDP is fine. Since you have a PD a PDP makes sense.

Sounds like 'she' turned out well. :D

I am very happy with the relationship with our Laser Man. I have a set height from bottom spec, but, I don't 'tell' him which side to put the logo on. I leave it to him, he is a wood man too, and has his pride. It's his decision, though most of the time the wood will choose for him.

Thanks for the kind words on craftsmanship. :) We use furniture grade kiln, dried wood, and treat it that way. :) (Not like it's some log off the beach.)

ps Lwien: You know how I feel about China, and taking American jobs over there, let's not call it the Panda. :2c: It's 100% American made with all the parts from American suppliers.
PDP, Purple-Days Pandora... OK? Or you can call it Clyde. ;)

Purple-Days,

stinkmeaner

vtac said:
Just to clarify, Tom offered the mini tubes and then Todd copied them the same as he copied the PD. That's not a knock against Todd, just the way it is.
As if your beloved "Tom" didn't copy his whole design for the PD from someone else? Looks to me like these stems are nearly identical to an Ettera and MyrtleZap stem, cutting an inch off and changing the metal to stainles or "type 304 stainless steel" as Tom would call it to make the pile washers or spacers sound nice and fancy. This forum is hilarious some times.

Patience, I now wait quietly for all of the PD Defenders to jump down my throught.

stinkmeaner,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Purple-Days said:
Or you can call it Clyde. ;)
How about the Clydeora? Or Purple Clyde?

Maybe you guys are right... PDP it is.
Although I was starting to like the Purple Clyde. :p

AGBeer,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm sorry, but 'Clyde' is perfect!

Stink...you are in a foul mood this morning based on your post here and in the Ion thread. And your post here, again, is proliferating the problem you were bitching about on the Ion thread. You've been here long enough for me to know that you have some good things to say, but this morning you are posting like a hypocritical troll. Step away from the keyboard and take a hit or something.

stickstones,

Purple-Days

Not sure what is meant by, "stainles or "type 304 stainless steel" as Tom would call..."

Folks who deal with metals refer to alloy numbers, so they, and their customers can know exactly what they are getting. Not some unknown substance or a material that can change from one day to the next. We use #304 Stainless Steel also known as alloy 18/8. You just can't call it whatever you like, that's what it is. :cool:

Funny when folks poke fun at a name, it is Clyde. Ah, grade school. :rolleyes:

Gonna go out to the shop and play with the new tool this morning. Gonna try out an accessory that I bought for it, might work, might not, but I'm always trying to improve... That's the fun part. You see a mousetrap and say, "I could do way better." It's satisfying. :)

Oh, I think somebody was asking about Maple as a wood choice. Two basic types of Maple, the plain white type (both soft and hard) and the Western Maple. The white maples are pretty bland without stains and we won't use stains. The Western Maple has grain patterns and interesting character, but is highly variable in density and beauty and tends to have a lot of waste material. Our buddies who do the laser work and turn the Billy-Bowls use it, but you should see their scrap pile...

Purple-Days,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
All done. Buzz butter really made a ton of difference. I still have stems to assemble but I can wait a bit. I'm in awe how it looks now though... Enjoy! The pandora is on the left
991af31a.jpg

friggin iPhone made it upside down...
943f7b3e.jpg

d7f14c99.jpg

minnesnowta,
Top Bottom