Discontinued Omicron Vaporizer for oils

kertong

*please delete me*
Just to support what OF said:

Harborside: Get only the supermelts, their "full melts" still contain ~5% plant matter according to the bud tender, and will clog your cart. I've tried almost all their current supermelts in the omi and they all hit really well. The blue dream is like a dry non-sticky wax that's incredibly easy to load, and melts well into the cart. Their AOTA (all of the above) supermelt is also incredibly "melty" and is easy to load, with great flavor and vapor production/potency. :) They don't carry pre-filled carts at the moment, nor do they sell empty/blank carts unless you buy their whole single stick kit. They did say they were getting ready to start selling prefilled carts, though.

Elemental: I've had great luck with their hash oils, though their earwaxes seem more potent. So yeah, from elemental just stick to the wax/oil, and occassionally they have "gold dust" which is a really interesting substance that takes quite a bit of priming but does work pretty well in an omi cart. They also carry prefilled carts (they only have alien fire atm), which are only filled with .5g, but its $22 so the price is right. On the good side, I got home and weighed out my alien fire, there were more like .6-.7g in there (I had taken quite a few hits on it all dayand it still weighed in at 8.49g). On the bad side, the cart leaked from the bottom immediately that night, and I lost about .2g of oil. ymmv.

Also, a question: Elemental carries RSO (Rick Simpson Oil), has anybody tried filling an omi cart with this stuff?

kertong,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Harborside San Jose has the units, and empty cartridges.

As far as the leak proofs, we are working on the herb cartridge for now, once we get that down we will resume work on the leak proofs.

The herb cartridge is priority because our clients have requested this first.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

OF

kertong said:
Also, a question: Elemental carries RSO (Rick Simpson Oil), has anybody tried filling an omi cart with this stuff?

First off, thanks for the inside info on good stuff at Harborside South, of course none of that (or PureGold) is available up North.... Next run to Elemental should include a visit looks like.

They do have RSO here, but say it's for eating or topical use only. You might be able to do a solvent wash on it, but I understand out of the tube it's a non starter. Then again, these guys sold the the taffy that fouled up the works with a straight face.

I agree, about the Alien Fire carts from Elemental. I got several a while back, OK but there are better oils out there. And the price is right (was $30 with a gram IIRC when they first came out?). I too noticed they were loaded short and mentioned it the next time I was in, they seemed interested and were out of stock at the time. I wonder if they down listed them for that reason? Better to be over weight than under?

I wonder, do they load them, get them from THC, or someone else?

I'm still a fan of a new cart and half a gram of PureGold. Or a full gram, only more so.

Thanks again for the info.

OF

OF,

bruno13

insomniac
THC SCIENTIFIC said:

As far as the leak proofs, we are working on the herb cartridge for now, once we get that down we will resume work on the leak proofs.

Thanks. I understand. That's too bad, I don't really care about the herb cart but I do love the oil cart. Except all my best oils (co2 and puregold) all drip from the center hole. I would like to add my request for a leak proof cartridge. I would rather see continued improvements on what you have then everything focused on new areas.

bruno13,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
bruno13 said:
THC SCIENTIFIC said:

Thanks. I understand. That's too bad, I don't really care about the herb cart but I do love the oil cart. Except all my best oils (co2 and puregold) all drip from the center hole. I would like to add my request for a leak proof cartridge. I would rather see continued improvements on what you have then everything focused on new areas.

Are you drawing slowly or fast? Are you letting the cartridge cool down between hits?

THC SCIENTIFIC,

OF

bruno13 said:
THC SCIENTIFIC said:

Thanks. I understand. That's too bad, I don't really care about the herb cart but I do love the oil cart. Except all my best oils (co2 and puregold) all drip from the center hole.

With ya, Bro. I don't recall any vote, so I guess the guys doing the most asking get first come. A little ago, I was reminded not everyone lives in a MMJ state and can get concentrates. Easy perspective to loose I guess. Right now, they're caught outside looking in with no way to use the Omicron at all. They have a more serious need, leaks are an annoyance. For now, I can survive on MFLB and Iolite for a while longer I guess.

Still would be nice, wouldn't it?

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Guys the leak proof cartridges are being worked on as well dont get me wrong, with many ideas and last minute changes i keep doing, it pushes it back.

I am sorry but i am a stickler for perfection.

The flower carts we have coming out are going to be for the Persei at first then work our way down.

The reason we are doing the flower carts is because we have many distributors asking for them.

The leak proofs are good design im still not 100% sold on it, so we are doing every single concept before we release the best one.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

dankd420

Wow, i just have to put one more post in about the pure gold. I've been smoking on the omicron exclusively for a few weeks now with a 6 different waxes and oils. The light vapor which i originally was a little disappointed with has managed to keep me at a happy easy stone without ever overdoing it once in awhile like i would smoking joints before. The pure gold produces so much vapor I've managed two days in a row to push myself past happy into accomplish-nothing mode. Going to have to be careful with this one.

dankd420,

kertong

*please delete me*
it's true dankd420 - at first I balked at the $40/.5g price my dispensary sells it at, but I find I take half as many hits to get to my happy zone. My wife (who does not partake) actually loves the pure gold because it doesn't have a hash/skunk odor, and is pushing me to go 100% pure gold only, haha. :) It makes me cough like a mofo, but I personally love the taste, and loading/refilling is so easy!

kertong,

Lightintoashes

BossBrew said:
THC SCIENTIFIC said:
Harborside has em also, very nice selection, along with Elemental Wellness.
Harborside is the show featured on the new show Weed Wars as well. Not a huge fan of how they are portraying the industry with wacky characters and reality TV drama but it will boost ratings. :rolleyes:

I loaded a gram of Blue Dream Wax and this cart has been hitting for 300+ hits and the clouds are still coming.

Looking forward to the herb carts. I would love to shelf my other units and use the Omicron exclusively because it has not let me down yet.

Thanks for all the great info to all that responded. I'm in the East Bay so I'll check out Harborside Oakland, been a while since I've been there. I'll check out the SJ spots next time I'm down that way.

And one last question: 300+ hits from one gram of concentrate? How is that even possible?!?! I've never counted, but I'd guess I get like 20-40 dabs on a nail through a bong from a typical gram. Is the Omicron more efficient or just much smaller hits?

Thanks again, can't wait :)

Lightintoashes,

DubCRider

It's both, smaller hits and way more efficient. Once the cart gets warm you can get some face-melters.

DubCRider,

OF

Lightintoashes said:
Thanks for all the great info to all that responded. I'm in the East Bay so I'll check out Harborside Oakland, been a while since I've been there. I'll check out the SJ spots next time I'm down that way.

And one last question: 300+ hits from one gram of concentrate? How is that even possible?!?! I've never counted, but I'd guess I get like 20-40 dabs on a nail through a bong from a typical gram. Is the Omicron more efficient or just much smaller hits?

Thanks again, can't wait :)

Yer welcome, of course. From what they have on the web, I'd go for the $50 OG Kush CO2 Taffy at 53% is not the hottest number in town, but I've had a similar oil version. It and the other CO2 oils and waxes I've used were excellent. Too bad they don't have PureGold though.

And yes, a couple hundred is probably a good estimate. Consider there's 500 to maybe 700mg of THC (and then some other good stuff) in there and you need to get several of those (absorbed) into your one and only body for a solid dose. Put another way, I'm using my Omicorns almost exclusively in the last month or so. My 'specific consumption' (the sort of specification like 'fuel used per mile') is running about 45mg/day. In fact 1.26 grams from 11/30 to yesterday. So I guess I'm running a little more than 300 to the gram? Consider that's what two bucks a day? It's been a lot of years since it was that low.

You tell me if the Omicron is all that frugal or the nail wasteful. Which ever, I'm backing the Omicron on a number of points.

Sorry about the delay, but trust me it will pass and it has a high chance of 'changing your life' for the better.

Best wishes.

OF

OF,

OF

THC SCIENTIFIC said:
The reason we are doing the flower carts is because we have many distributors asking for them.

The leak proofs are good design im still not 100% sold on it, so we are doing every single concept before we release the best one.

So let me understand this, some of your customers (the most important ones, the ones that will bring the products to the masses) are asking for them and you're trying to cover that? You shameless Capitalist you! Watch out, 'Occupy THC Scientific' can't be far off.

As to making the leak proof the best possible, "take all the time you need to do a good job". Half baked stuff we can get lots of other places. Cutting edge stuff nobody else can deliver is cutting edge stuff nobody else can deliver. It's fun to speculate and poke fun and all but 'we got your back' on this one. Do her right! Not that we wouldn't like you even more if it was out......

Thanks.

OF

OF,

OF

kertong said:
Harborside: Get only the supermelts, their "full melts" still contain ~5% plant matter according to the bud tender, and will clog your cart. I've tried almost all their current supermelts in the omi and they all hit really well. The blue dream is like a dry non-sticky wax that's incredibly easy to load, and melts well into the cart.

So, based on this, I dug a bit and came up with a gram of Blue Dragon Super Melt from Harborside Oakland (from the ill fated 'Taffy advice' trip). Very easy to load, 10 seconds or so heating to get vapor, then it's 'wow oh wow time'. Objective testing is over for a bit, but IMO the 'try the full melts' seems to have a lot of merit, advice wise.

Thanks, KT!

OF

OF,

druminfected

A suggestion for THC Scientific for the Omicron. I seen that white plastic insert you use to put over the cartridge and was wondering; what if there was an assortment of colors of these? That way you would personally know what kind of oils you are using, especially if you have more than a bunch of cartridges.

Love the Omicron! just thinking of ways to add to it, or maybe even for the new model.

druminfected,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
druminfected said:
A suggestion for THC Scientific for the Omicron. I seen that white plastic insert you use to put over the cartridge and was wondering; what if there was an assortment of colors of these? That way you would personally know what kind of oils you are using, especially if you have more than a bunch of cartridges.

Love the Omicron! just thinking of ways to add to it, or maybe even for the new model.

good idea for some. Wouldn't work for me. I throw those caps away. I just write on my cart with a sharpie and then its very clear what concentrate I am working with. This makes it easy even when handing two or three units around in a group setting.

ru_frothi,

OF

Duplicate post deleted....

Sometimes these computers get the best of me.

OF

OF,

OF

OK, I give up, how the devil do they make these wonderful carts?

A bit of background. I've now hacked into two used carts and am super impressed with the units. For those who've never had the pleasure, the good work is done by a tiny little heater, the one you see the glow from when testing a new cart. It has a short piece of silica string (basically a glass fiber bundle) in it's core that it's wound around. The whole thing could slide through that tiny hole in the mouthpiece. If you hold the mouthpiece up to the light you can see how thick the lip at the top where that hole is.....the heater is shorter than that. The two wicks (ends of the string) stick out through the ceramic vaporizing chamber to dip into the oil just outside (and this all fits crosswise in the tube like the stainless bridge you see from the top). The tube that forms the flue from the furnace chamber (and makes electrical contact with the bridge which contacts the body) has one of the wires soldered to it. The other wire connects to the stainless tube that leads up from the socket. The furnace body has a spiral groove in it's outer wall and three turns of heater wire are in the groove to do the feed melting to the wick ends. The two heaters are in parallel.

The much discussed seals are also impressive. They seem to be made of the same sort of material as the mouthpiece, and there are four of them, all below the wick level. A leak in any of them will cause problems. There's also a piece of what looks like clear heat shrink at the top of the oven where the wires come out but this doesn't seem a likely leak route.

All in all an amazingly precise high tech assembly that shows a lot of skillful care in assembly. I'm sure they are hard to build with any useful quality. In a way, it's hard to believe they don't routinely leak.

But how they put it together is something I can't sort out. It's past 'ship in a bottle' stuff, the wire soldered to the lower small tube (from the center contact in the socket) is soldered on the inside. The tube itself seems captive in the assembly. Short of a little bitty guy they lower down inside to connect it up, the only way I can see to make this is to press the tube on afterward???

Anyone have a clue? I don't expect THC go give up the inside scoop, but the rest is really simple to reverse engineer. If I can do it, 'anyone' can. Then again, I suspect this part (attaching leads to the connector) just might be 'old hat' in the industry??

TIA

OF

OF,

kertong

*please delete me*
@druminfected: What I do at the moment is to take a 1" long strip of scotch tape and I wrap it around the top of the cart where the mouthpiece goes on. I write what oil it contains with sharpie, then roll another layer of scotch tape over it as to prevent the ink from smearing/etc. This way when I'm done with a cart and decide to refill it, I can peel the scotch tape off, clean off with iso alcohol, and reapply with the new contents (i also add a hash mark so I can track how many cycles/grams each cart has consumed).

I have about 9 carts with various waxes/oils/supermelts in there, and I absolutely love the convenience of being able to swap and sample throughout the day with a simple cart swap. I've found that even when heating the cart back to back and getting it really hot, the scotch tape holds up just fine, does not melt, and does not affect taste or get cooked unintentionally in any way as far as I can tell. :)

@OF: That is awesome, thank you so much on more insight on how the cart works. I've had a few die on me (via oil pouring out its bottom), but I've kept them around in the hopes that I'll come across a tool someday that can cut the thing open. Great to get some light shed on it - thanks for sacrificing your cart for science! :) If you took any pictures, I would *love* to see them.

kertong,

funkee1

@OF

or anyone who has experience with co2 taffy

I just bought some Blackberry Kush c02 Taffy at Harborside in Oakland today and am having some trouble with it....It's my first try with taffy

The taffy is more brown than black in color and is rocked up in about 3 or 4 pieces. It breaks down very easy as if it was kief pressed together real tight, but definitely has more cohesiveness than kief pressed together. It breaks down if poked with a needle. When I melted a piece in the fill tool, it liquefied and when through the fill tool but not necessarily sliding down the cart. It kind of bubbled up near the mouthpiece. Has anyone has that problem? If I liquefied the rest of the gram do you think it will slide through.

I ended up breaking it into little chunks now the taffy kinda looks like grounded up soft hash... I tried to stuff the bits into the cart and got some but it took forever. It works in the cart but it will run out soon. How should I load the rest?

I've had some bad experience with some amber glass which were rock like chunks and broke down into powdered rocks... it liquefied but hardened up really fast and wasted a gram of that and a cart...

funkee1,

OF

kertong said:
@OF: That is awesome, thank you so much on more insight on how the cart works. I've had a few die on me (via oil pouring out its bottom), but I've kept them around in the hopes that I'll come across a tool someday that can cut the thing open. Great to get some light shed on it - thanks for sacrificing your cart for science! :) If you took any pictures, I would *love* to see them.

You're very welcome. Glad you found it interesting/useful. No photos yet, but I saved the last bits and plan to dig out the camera and see if I can still take macros. Then I gotta figure out how to post 'em I guess.... First things first.

FWIW I think you can break into 'em pretty easy, although I don't have another to try it on yet. I think you can pull the bridge out (I used skinny needle nose pliers, but old school roach clips or even a hook on the end of a straightened paper clip could work as well). Just pull it off the tube, it's just a support. Then either grab the tube or force an almost straight paper clip into the bore of the tube and pull it up. Unless it's glued down with cold oil (do it hot), it should pull the furnace and bottom seal up by one of the lead wires, finally ripping the wire loose. A couple baths of ISO and a quick ride or two through the ultrasonic sink and the furnace itself is squeaky clean.

Thanks for the tape idea, I'm getting tired of putting the sharpie marks back (I guess I fiddle with 'em too much?). Must be under the mouthpiece?

OF

OF,

OF

funkee1 said:
@OF

or anyone who has experience with co2 taffy

I just bought some Blackberry Kush c02 Taffy at Harborside in Oakland today and am having some trouble with it....It's my first try with taffy

The taffy is more brown than black in color and is rocked up in about 3 or 4 pieces. It breaks down very easy as if it was kief pressed together real tight, but definitely has more cohesiveness than kief pressed together. It breaks down if poked with a needle. When I melted a piece in the fill tool, it liquefied and when through the fill tool but not necessarily sliding down the cart. It kind of bubbled up near the mouthpiece. Has anyone has that problem? If I liquefied the rest of the gram do you think it will slide through.

I ended up breaking it into little chunks now the taffy kinda looks like grounded up soft hash... I tried to stuff the bits into the cart and got some but it took forever. It works in the cart but it will run out soon. How should I load the rest?

I've had some bad experience with some amber glass which were rock like chunks and broke down into powdered rocks... it liquefied but hardened up really fast and wasted a gram of that and a cart...

Bummer, sounds just like what I had. Play with it, it seems 'oily' on the surface, but it doesn't melt right. Kind of pasty and like you said, heat it a bit more and it boils up in the tool. I dug most (IIRC about .8 grams) back out, but the little that got in killed an otherwise good charge of EC Diesel I fed in afterward. I ended up draining the oil and pulling the cart apart so it wasn't a total loss. The EC Diesel had a series of happy dates with the eclipse, not my first choice but one does what one can and I sure wasn't going to risk another cart.

OTOH, this Blue Dragon Super Melt (also from them) I just loaded makes me wish I had bought more. Next time I'm back I'm going for PureGold, CO2 waxes or Super Melts. With confidence in that order. Nitro wax was also nice (I have a bit left, but haven't seen it in months), same sort of deal as CO2 I'm thinking. Both are very mild in taste.

Sorry to hear the news, and pass even more to you, but hope your results are better than mine.

OF

OF,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
I've only used three carts. One was OG Budder. The cart didn't completely fail but it is very week. That may be due to the concentrate. I retired that cart. The second cart is MK Budder. I have 1.75 G through this cart and it is performing at optimal performance. I continue to reload this cart carefully, as I'm afraid of a total shutdown. The third cart is Pure Gold. I have .5 in it. Only a few puffs taken on it. I have never counted hits, but I have recognized patterns in the carts. This is probably due to concentrate levels in the cart. It's cool to "get familiar" with the Omicron. I'm diggin it.

Jeppy,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Jeepy wait for the next generation of cartridges.

Currently being developed.

Hired 2 more engineers for this one.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Top Bottom