Discontinued Omicron Vaporizer for oils

I've only ever torn down 1.5, 2.4 and 4 Ohm carts. The heaters were of equal value. IIRC G confirmed this across the product line. I'm not sure I followed your logic, but I just measured them.

It sounds to me like in at least one case you have two good heaters (one of which you see) that's being misread due to contact or lead resistance (or other instrument related failure)? In the other two cases, one heater is out? I wouldn't count on seeing the glow in a used cart, that can disappear in a few dozen hits as deposits start to build up. Take a peek down the pipe on a working one, I think you'll agree.
Exactly right, which is why I think the heaters are matched in power, since the hotter vaporizer eats more oil, the feed heater has to heat more. It's just a rough scaling but I think that's the logic.
OF
Just to check with all the discussion of meters, I pulled out a Elenco freq. meter (nice for inductance and freq, but I mostly use the Fluke - I like auto-ranging) and a pair of old RS analog meters. All read the same (after adjusting the RS' zero points) AND two unused 2.4 Ohm carts FROM THE SAME BOX reads 2.2 Ohms (on everything). These carts don't work - the "recovered" 4 Ohm, reads exactly 4.0 on the Fluke and 4.01 on the Elenco, so I am pretty sure there are no measurement errors here. It is possible that some wire has "thinned" somewhere (I see one dead 4 Ohm is actually 18k!), but how to explain the 3.7 Ohm reading on a 2.4 cart? A partially shorted bulk heater doesn't seem likely and the furnance "looks" good. And two at 5.7 with no glow, but get warm - same measurement on both makes me more sure it is correct.

Also, I don't expect to see any glow after I load a cart. Before "learning" better, if I saw the glow on a 4 Ohm I would top it off - Now I know it means I held the button much too long (and I'm probably close to the "puff of smoke" that comes when 4 or 5 Ohm carts die).

-NDA

Nick Again,

OF

Just to check with all the discussion of meters, ...

OK, you win (to be honest I lost track of the issue....). I'm sure not going to argue about a part I can't see from here with a guy with a meter that delivers such astounding accuracy.....a 'four point' system I assume? Kelvin clips, that good stuff?

So, you tell me, please, what do you make of it all? I think the original point was 'are the heaters equal value'? Are they?

TIA

OF

OF,
OK, you win (to be honest I lost track of the issue....). I'm sure not going to argue about a part I can't see from here with a guy with a meter that delivers such astounding accuracy.....a 'four point' system I assume? Kelvin clips, that good stuff?

So, you tell me, please, what do you make of it all? I think the original point was 'are the heaters equal value'? Are they?

TIA

OF
I think the luck of two meters reading .01v apart is just that. Yes, I have the "good" leads (many sets for different uses), but they're in the drawer still :) I also have some old Tek gear that hasn't been used this century that should be close to 4 digits (and will heat my house too). Using old RS $10 meters too seems a valid check. The digital 3 digit precision stuff is accurate to two and a half digits, the RS is barely readable (5 Ohm scale - a third, newer RS has only a 15Ohm scale).

My take: I will assume (yea I know) that everyone mentioned and speaking is truthfully. That leaves the possibility, which I strongly lean toward, that with the several generations of Omi cart, this has changed. The changes in the bottom seal and air vent have previously been discussed, as has one engineer changing the pre-oxidized carts into production earlier than G knew expected. So simply, I suspect that they may have been equal once and aren't now, or maybe I have that backwards (my 4 Ohms have all been the original horizontally labeled ones, and these 2.4s are unlabeled).

Finally, the math just adds up - unused cart = 2.2 Ohms
1 / ( ( 1 / 3.7 Ohms ) + ( 1 / 5.7 Ohms ) ) = ~ 2.2 Ohms

-NDA

Nick Again,

559stonerr

CHmeD.jpg

Me using my omicron in the great yosemite!

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
Hey guys,

Do you think budder will work well in the 5ohm carts? I have some carts coming tomorrow and am stoked to try them!

559stonerr

Hey guys,

Do you think budder will work well in the 5ohm carts? I have some carts coming tomorrow and am stoked to try them!

ive only had the opportunity to use budder once with my omicron and it was amazingly awesome, had no problem with clogs/leaking, dont know if it will make any difference being in the 5.0 carts..

559stonerr,
Reactions: kindbeats

JoeKickass

If you guys have never tried 5ohms before you're in for a treat, to me they taste like 2.4 carts with the performance of 1.5 carts!

Make sure to prime on 3.7v to keep temps low and flavor intact!

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
If you guys have never tried 5ohms before you're in for a treat, to me they taste like 2.4 carts with the performance of 1.5 carts!

Make sure to prime on 3.7v to keep temps low and flavor intact!

Oh man, I'm stoked! Also, thank you for the priming tip. The worst thing I could imagine would be frying my oil before ever hitting a single drop of it.

kindbeats,

MaxVapor

The Professor
Gentle friends,
OF

I like how you assume the best of us!

Serious thanks for the info, I need to decide between the model you posted and the other one that is auto ranging now. But I'll probably keep the decision to myself!

MaxVapor,

MaxVapor

The Professor
thc scientific i have some questions when you get a chance...

i like the usb charger, because i can charge it in the car on my universal usb charger, or easily at home with my cell phone charger or laptop as well.. im curious why it was discontinued on the omicron v2 when it was there on the v1.

I'm not Gary either, but I'll try to shed some light. There is a pass-through charger in the works for the Omicron v2, I believe it will be called the "Reactor". It used to have a slot on the D9V store, but I didn't see it listed just now (it has not ever been for sale yet).

is there smaller cartridges that might cut down on the overall length?

Gary also posted a picture of a shorter looking cart a while back in this thread (I think with the Centauri picture) it was gold colored and maybe a third shorter or so. This also is a future possible product.

does it not come with a fill tool? if not how difficult is it to fill a cartridge without it?

It comes with a handy-dandy fill tool which I find to work well. Some have preferred a frosting tip and if you search for those terms you should find lots early in this thread.

I think the other stuff was mostly answered by OF sage of all things Delta9Vapes related (or should I say Warp9Tech (or should I say Utopia Planitia) it's hard to keep track of Gary's company names!)

I own 2 v1 pens which are identical to the o-phos except they lack the pass through charger (they came with a separate charger that was phased out). I still use them regularly along with a v2 that I bought a while back. Each has a different cart attached since variety is the spice of life!

Regardless of which (or if) you choose, the customer service from D9V/W9T/UP is excellent!

OF

I like how you assume the best of us!

Serious thanks for the info, I need to decide between the model you posted and the other one that is auto ranging now. But I'll probably keep the decision to myself!

You're very welcome, I hope you find it useful. Either of those models (for that matter any of them in that line) should do you fine. There's about $2.50 difference between them at one level........

My experience with new users of such gear, an my normal reluctance to spend other peoples money even slower than my own, leads me to suggest the 3310. Keep it a secret, or wear it proud, your call. It's a tool, it's only as good as the job it does for you in the end.

Thanks also for noting my trying to stay positive (sometimes easier than others). But let's face it, white hats around here outnumber the black ones something awful. Assuming all white hats has a much higher probability of being right.....right?

One last thought, the sooner you order that meter the sooner you can start playing with it..... You know I didn't think I'd like the little clips to hold the probes (I used to have a Fluke DMM that had that and I hated it), even figured I'd cut them off if they annoyed me too much, but they're growing on me as you can wrap the lead around the unit and the probes hold them neatly in place (a perennial problem). The tip covers, however, I predict a short life for. First lost before fall, both by Thanksgiving is my bet.

Regards,

OF

OF,

OF

I think the luck of two meters reading .01v apart is just that.

So simply, I suspect that they may have been equal once and aren't now, or maybe I have that backwards (my 4 Ohms have all been the original horizontally labeled ones, and these 2.4s are unlabeled).

Finally, the math just adds up - unused cart = 2.2 Ohms
1 / ( ( 1 / 3.7 Ohms ) + ( 1 / 5.7 Ohms ) ) = ~ 2.2 Ohms

I gotta agree, .01 Ohms (I assume you didn't mean Volts....) difference is not something you can hang your hat on.

And the fact remains that the two heaters in this cart:

both measure the same (five Ohms). I know, cuz I just dug it out and measured it again. As I recall 1.5 Ohm and 4 Ohm carts also had heaters matching. I also checked with 'the G Man', he confirmed telling us all that was the design. Being the thorough sort he is he contacted his engineers to be sure and just got back to me with that update.

Anything is possible, I've given the best ideas I had to explain what you saw, but for now my advice remains the same......good carts read very close to their ratings, ones with one heater out twice that. Doesn't matter (electrically or practically) which it is. It still reads twice the expected number of Ohms and doesn't work properly.

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Sorry buddy but witnesses dont live long. Dont drag me in this geek/nerd/engineering dual.

But in reality yes all dual coils are what i explained to OF.

I still have no clue what we talking about.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: OF

OF

I still have no clue what we talking about.

Not to worry, there are at least two of us in that boat. Something strange going on for sure, we may never know. For now, I'll stick with the same advice and see what the future brings.

You know what they say, 'if this stuff was easy, we'd have the janitor do it'.

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Not to worry, there are at least two of us in that boat. Something strange going on for sure, we may never know. For now, I'll stick with the same advice and see what the future brings.

You know what they say, 'if this stuff was easy, we'd have the janitor do it'.

OF

Funny thing is, i worked in the custodial arts when i was 16. Guess its so easy a janitor can do it?

OF

Funny thing is, i worked in the custodial arts when i was 16. Guess its so easy a janitor can do it?

I've pushed a broom or two in my time as well, never very good at it. Not my calling.

Perhaps this one janitor can cut it, but your randomly selected one.......

You might have set the maintenance world on fire eventually, but IMO you're much more valuable to society where you are now.

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I've pushed a broom or two in my time as well, never very good at it. Not my calling.

Perhaps this one janitor can cut it, but your randomly selected one.......

You might have set the maintenance world on fire eventually, but IMO you're much more valuable to society where you are now.

OF

Its the weed man its the weed.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: OF
I gotta agree, .01 Ohms (I assume you didn't mean Volts....) difference is not something you can hang your hat on.

And the fact remains that the two heaters in this cart:

both measure the same (five Ohms). I know, cuz I just dug it out and measured it again. As I recall 1.5 Ohm and 4 Ohm carts also had heaters matching. I also checked with 'the G Man', he confirmed telling us all that was the design. Being the thorough sort he is he contacted his engineers to be sure and just got back to me with that update.

Anything is possible, I've given the best ideas I had to explain what you saw, but for now my advice remains the same......good carts read very close to their ratings, ones with one heater out twice that. Doesn't matter (electrically or practically) which it is. It still reads twice the expected number of Ohms and doesn't work properly.

OF
I believe you. But I get a completely different view measuring from outside these 2.4 carts I've been using. I guess I need to try and open one or two carefully and look inside. Besides, I want to see what the wick looks like after alcohol "cleaning" - at least one 4 Ohm did recover. Maybe a Dremel or a jeweler's saw? The ?Vitolo method, rip with a pliers, looks a bit crude and my dexterity isn't good. I could try to practice on some completely dead ones - Just rip off the threads to see the wick on dead but "cleaned" 4's might be a good attempt.

Anyway, good carts seem to measure the expected amount (though I usually see 2.2-2.3 Ohms for 2.4 carts), but half-dead ones don't measure double, at least not any of the ones I have.

-NDA

Nick Again,

OF

Cyclone technology mop buckets!! Having pushed one myself at Papa Gino's that would have been amazing indeed.

That's it! G's given us one too many hints on this secret revolutionary 'solvent free concentrate process'.....he's adopted advanced wringer technology from his mop bucket driving days!!!

Clever fellow, doncha think?

One of those 'why didn't I think of that' moments for me.....

I guess I need to try and open one or two carefully and look inside. Besides, I want to see what the wick looks like after alcohol "cleaning" - at least one 4 Ohm did recover. Maybe a Dremel or a jeweler's saw? The ?Vitolo method, rip with a pliers, looks a bit crude and my dexterity isn't good.

It's fairly easy to do if you have long nose pliers with small enough tips. Reach in the connector and pull the center pin out. You might even be able to fish it with a steel wire with a hook in the end. There's a short wire soldered to the other end, cut it. This is how they're built I think, the last step after the works is put in from the top. The pin is headed and won't go through the threaded bushing, it has to come out from the bottom. Then pull the rubber insulator that was around it if it's in the bushing. Then use a bamboo skewer or similar tool (coat hanger wire?) to push everything out the top through the hole. The seals will wipe the walls, so best done warm.

They're made, I think, by building the furnace and seals on the bench, complete with bridge, which is then pushed into the tube with the hot wire going out the hole. The insulator is put in, the wire cut and striped short and soldered to the lip of the hollow pin before it's pressed up through the seal.

OF

OF,

sidewing

thc scientific:
whats the battery life on the o-phos? how many hits can i expect to get off a single charge?..
trying to figure out if this is going to be the one for me.. the black o-phos looks freakin sweet. i love it.
but if its not going to provide enough charge for me to walk around all day and get say 50 solid hits off of it, if thats what i want, then i guess im going to have to consider the v2.
does the v2 have longer battery life?

sidewing,

OF

thc scientific:
whats the battery life on the o-phos?

if its not going to provide enough charge for me to walk around all day and get say 50 solid hits off of it, if thats what i want, then i guess im going to have to consider the v2.

I'm not THC, but I'd say 50 hits is quite reasonable, provided you don't go nuts with long hits on 1.5 Ohm carts.

V2 has basically the same capacity (you need Persei to get more per charge), but you can quickly swap in a freshly charged battery.

OF

Silvercloud538

thc scientific:
whats the battery life on the o-phos? how many hits can i expect to get off a single charge?..
trying to figure out if this is going to be the one for me.. the black o-phos looks freakin sweet. i love it.
but if its not going to provide enough charge for me to walk around all day and get say 50 solid hits off of it, if thats what i want, then i guess im going to have to consider the v2.

Besides affording at least 12 hrs discharge capacity untethered [ using 1.5/2.4 ] ,maintaining

'usb' profile will keep '"voltages stable"' for longer sessions ~ IOW ,O-PHOS aims to please

putting batt cells closer to obsoletion ,IMO ~

Looking forward patiently for usb technology to reach selectable voltage status for 'flower'

vapor consumption w/ V2 ,etc ;)

Silvercloud538,
Reactions: sidewing
Top Bottom