Is kief worth it

redcon

@CuckFumbustion & @phattpiggie there isn't a way to create a dabbable product using one of those presses is there? Either by heating up the puck on a low heat and or by heating up the the keif when pressing the puck? I haven't encountered one of the pucks in person, but what I am envisioning is something that is dense and breaks off into thick chunks and is hard to get back into a powder

redcon,

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I used a home made press and it always came out like hash. I've only got dabbable results using a solvent, butane or iso.

phattpiggie,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
You can use the rosin method (hair straightener/parchment) with a filter to squash keif or hashes for a dabbable product

Pyr0,

HomeFree

I turned my 4 piece into a 3 piece, and even sometimes use it upside down as a 2 piece. I was breaking up all my herb very delicately but I think I prefer a fresh grind which is broken down a little bit further than by hand for many strains. I want to vape the good part and not remove any of it which in turn degrades rather than using it when the herb is ground.

I used a cheap 4 piece for about 20 grams, and harvested .08 grams of kief from it. At that point I turned it into a 3 piece.

Last edited:
HomeFree,

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
@CuckFumbustion that's a picture of a Jyarz Chico
Thanks for clearing that up. So Is it designed to fit inside a grinder? Or did you decide to go with that for your own convenience?
Still glad I didn't know before hand. It got me to try out my new glass bottom grinder bowls.

Any thoughts on the dryness of the flowers and when to use it in a grinder for the most/least keif removal?

Before I bought my SCS, I used scissors and a corner of an envelope. Or the shotglass and scissors trick. Well before I was wise to that, very surgical cuts at the bottom of the flower to cause the most breakage with the least cuts and the least damage. BC, back in the day, forget it. I would cut that in equal size slivers. Would like to here an opinion from someone who is for preserving the tri's, thinks of those methods

CuckFumbustion,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Hi @CuckFumbustion The Jyarz Chico is just a for storage, it looks like this (when clean and new lol):
tRfbAl5.jpg

They're eco-friendly stash jars http://www.jyarz.com/
There's a @JyARz rep and a thread here on FC http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/jyarz-storage-containers.9346/

It would be convenient if it fitted my grinder, but unfortunately not.
I just brush the keif out from the bottom of my Compton grinder into the Jyarz for storage.

Any chance of posting pics of your glass bottom grinder bowls please? They sound very handy :)

I find if the plants still have some moisture in them, the keif is less likely to fall off and collect in the grinder.
I don't have a hygrometer here at the moment, but I'd say the drier the better for collecting.

I've very rarely broken bud up by hand or with scissors, only once or twice when I haven't had a grinder nearby :shrug:

Last edited:

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@CuckFumbustion I myself wonder how that got past QC, and so you start to think, perhaps that's why the seller is on ebay flogging them at 1/2 price to the Uk!

It was an xmas pressie from the wife, so I have to wait for her to contact the seller with the photo of the problem and see what they have to say about it!

@Pyr0 nice looking pile of Keith, how long did it take to build that up?

@kellya86 I didn't realise keeping it in the baggie was bad, I thought it helped keep it fresher. is plastic tubs OK?, those glass ones look like they have plastic lids?

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@1DMF , although my lids are plastic, the jars are glass, and that's the bit my herb touches..
Plastic causes static which can attract trichomes...

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I re-use jam jars. They have an airtight lid and being glass and metal with a seal they do not breathe.
A lot of plastics actually breathe so if your contents are dry and you leave the container outside at this time of the year the contents absorbs moisture.
The same is true if the contents are damp and you have the container inside where it's warm and dry. Your weed will dry out.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
The weather where I am has been amazing last 2 days.

Glorious morning winter sunshine, illuminating the flavoursome clouds, billowing from my flowermate, as I drive along on empty roads, nicely buzzed and ready for the day...

kellya86,

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
It's been too good @kellya86 everything has started to grow far to early. We need a really cold spell to kill off some of the bugs. I get mosquito's and flies in the house every time it warms up.

phattpiggie,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Thought I'd come back regarding my grinder... and http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/is-kief-worth-it.20192/page-4#post-899939

Missus contacted seller, suddenly they have no replacements to send out and can only offer a refund.

The cynic in me says they were deliberately selling faulty products across the pond hoping no-one complained.

It's put me off bothering with a grinder at the moment until @kellya86 kindly offered to give me a heads-up if they came across another MMJ Chromium Crusher from a UK seller.

Until then, once bitten, twice shy and all that!

1DMF,
Reactions: kellya86

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Shivaonline have a selection at not bad prices. Be fukd if I would be paying £200.

phattpiggie,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
GrassCity does have an ok selection at reasonable price, @1DMF is there nothing you like on there????

I think I may order one, doesn't cost much to get aerospace aluminium....

What did you pay for the mmj chromium???

kellya86,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@kellya86 are you having a giraffe? £200.00 for a grinder WTF!

This was the grinder purchased.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medical-L...875208?hash=item25addf3048:g:TncAAOSw37tV~GY8

Which seems even more like a dodgy seller, as they are currently selling more of these grinders that apparently are out-of-stock so can't replace the faulty item.

I've asked the wife to make a formal complaint against this seller.

<-- leaves with an even worse tastes in their mouth :disgust:

1DMF,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@1DMF your seller has more than 10 available, apparently...

I really like the slx...but no price....???

Where would I buy one....

kellya86,

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
I would suggest looking at a SLX @kellya86. I don't think they have any retailers in Europe though they may. Either way I cannot speak highly enough on this grinder http://www.slxherbgrinders.com/
There is a store locator page. One AUS location, the rest US locations. Did get on Ebay UK just to see what the market was like.
Liked the machining that was done internally and the teeth style. Much like the SCS. Starting to see more clever designs with the screens in the newer grinders.
Would having two types of screen in one grinder mean that larger pollen particles would become sifted and trapped between the two screen or would that be overkill?

CuckFumbustion,
Reactions: Stevenski

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
I would suggest looking at a SLX @kellya86. I don't think they have any retailers in Europe though they may. Either way I cannot speak highly enough on this grinder http://www.slxherbgrinders.com/
I contacted SLX last week to enquire if they had any distributors in the UK/Europe.
They have none, but tried contacting @VapeFiend.com after I mentioned them..
*crosses fingers* lol

side note, I'm starting to really like the Kannastor GR8TR Jar grinder I purchased recently.
The screen is a little too open for my liking, but they are supposed to be sending me a finer 80 mesh screen as soon as they have more stock.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
@1DMF your seller has more than 10 available, apparently...

I really like the slx...but no price....???

Where would I buy one....

Not sure if it would be worth importing from the USA? Maybe email them directly? Mine cost $100AUD for the 63mm or $85 for the 50mm. By comparison a Compton 63mm was $100, SC Med Ti $115 Kannastor GR8TR was between $100-140. SCS small $100 or large $120. I took a punt on it over other proven grinders & could not be happier.

@Stevenski the teeth in the image looks like quality machining. Though it seems google doesn't have a clue where they are sold!

Check their website but this grinder is the real deal. Just look how much kief it collects & I am not talking about robbing your mix & after well over 30g I am yet to see a speck of buildup. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herb-grinders.15/page-258#post-909316

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Looks like the only link available for the SLX is : http://www.australianvaporizers.com.au/store/slx-v2-ceramic-coated-herb-grinder-62mm.html and it makes it @ £50.00 but they ship to every country except the U.K.

Back to the drawing board!

Edit: In my hunt for a new grinder, just for the love of smiley's, I bought this...

$_57.GIF

I know it's probably going to be shite, but I couldn't resist till I find my dream grinder at a price I'm prepared to pay!

Last edited:
Top Bottom