1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Is kief worth it

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by rebels8892, Dec 20, 2015.

1. rebels8892

rebels8892 New Member

Is having a 4 piece grinder with a pollen screen worth it? I'm starting to think having a kief catcher is kind of pointless.

Making me think about a SCS 3 piece

SSVUN~YAH, Hashtag46&2, 1DMF and 2 others like this.
  2. killick

killick But I like it!

I don't like grinders with more than 2 pieces. The more pieces they have the resort it is to cross thread... But I do save my kief in a RYOT box with a silk screen' bottom' that lets kief fall through onto a smooth bottom that you scrape it off of.

I have a recipe for candied ginger that gets a layer of decarbed kief I'm looking forward to making for holidays :)

3. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I went to a dispensary that had something called caviar. It was shatter rolled in kief. Now I make my own caviar - way cheaper. Hell yes kief is worth it. It makes it easy with a 4 piece grinder.

Wahiker, SSVUN~YAH, looney2nz and 7 others like this.
  4. rebels8892

rebels8892 New Member

Which 4 piece do you like the best

1DMF likes this.
  5. woolspinner

woolspinner Well-Known Member

Meh. I have one and I decided to ditch the kief screen. It was a pain to clean and I just would rather leave the kief attached to what I am vaping in its original state. Do not miss it and will consider a 3-p SCS for my next grinder.

SSVUN~YAH, Hashtag46&2, 1DMF and 4 others like this.
  6. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I have a stainless steel large 4 piece grinder that says Gotvape on it. I've had it for 5 years or so. I've dropped it several times. I have several cheap 2 piece plastics ones that I have gotten free, sometimes I will use those if I want a more coarse grind.

1DMF likes this.
  7. outwest

outwest Member

I love kief and I love my cheapo 4 piece grinder. My goal is to fill the kief tray with kief.

outwest

1DMF and Pyr0 like this.
  8. Stevenski

Stevenski Enter the Dragon

I have a cheap 4 piece & a SC titanium 2 piece. I like a fine grind & the SC gets it quite a bit finer as it has more teeth & the weed has nowhere to go. I will miss my kief sandwiches but I enjoy "spreading the love" so to speak.

9. nondarb

nondarb .

If you want less pieces may I suggest a sifting box? I love harvesting my kief, and using it to jack up a bowl here and again or making concentrates!

SSVUN~YAH, 1DMF, killick and 3 others like this.
  10. Ratchett

Ratchett Vape Accessories Delta3DStudios.com Accessory Maker

Someone said it best - you're robbing peter to pay paul.

It also depends on what you're doing with it. Cooking/baking/etc might be worth it, but kief does't vaporize especially well (it can, but it won't if you compact it, it's better to sprinkle over some ground herb).

11. seaofgreens

seaofgreens My Mind Is Free

I think it depends on how a kief catcher is used. If you are not constantly rubbing the herb against the screen, just using it as a natural means of collecting the trichs which fall off naturally as you grab a pinch or something, it is great. It's when folks really try to force collect kief that it becomes pointless. Don't rub the herb against the screens, it clogs them up so they don't work correctly, and you just grind contaminant through. When done correctly though, a scoop of kief when you want that extra boost can be just what the doctor ordered.

Sketch420, duckTape, TomC1315 and 6 others like this.
  12. crawdad

crawdad floatin

1DMF, nondarb and seaofgreens like this.
  13. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I LOVE kief!! Is it worth it? God yes.

14. nondarb

nondarb .

I have a friend who puts a QUARTER against his screens and shakes it every time he grinds. His "kief" is basically just good shake, and the herb he smokes is basically bad shake after he's done torturing it..

15. howie105

howie105 Well-Known Member

If that kief buzz is what one wants and one is willing to do what it takes to collect it then absolutely the grinders with screens are great. On the other hand there are all kinds of alternative methods to producing concentrates that work as well or better depending on circumstances. In my case I just empty the screened grinder compartment back into the jar I am using out of for daily use.

1DMF likes this.
  16. hd_rider

hd_rider Well-Known Member

I have a 4-piece grinder and I removed the piece that contains the kief screen so that everything falls into the bottom. I figure I don't use kief separately for anything anyway so I just smoke it with my ground herb.

17. jim-bob

jim-bob Well-Known Member

Once the Santa Cruz folks came out with a 3-pc I never looked back. I like my kief with the rest of my herb.

18. zor

zor I hate the kids

I like kief in concept, and I collect it easily with a SCS small four piece. I store it in a Jyarz chico and a week ago or so I knocked out about half of my accumulation accidentally. Urgh.

That incident made me realize, however, that I barely use my kief....this definitely needs to change! In the past kief was the main way I enjoyed my MFLB, now I just need to start adding it to the SSV sessions

SSVUN~YAH, Hashtag46&2 and 1DMF like this.
  19. Hippie Dickie

Hippie Dickie The Herbal Cube Manufacturer

the kief is the trichome head where 99.9% of the plant's THC is stored ... miniscule amount of actives in the rest of the plant.

20. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

I prefer to have the kief mixed in naturally with the rest of the herb. I have a 4 piece grinder and I've been wanting to get a nice 3 or 2 piece for a while now. I never thought to do what @hd_rider suggested, but I'm going to do just that and remove the kief screen.

21. Hubs88

Hubs88 Feeling The Buzz

That would be the best reason to leave it with the rest of the herb.

Diggy Smalls, ataxian, 1DMF and 3 others like this.
  22. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

No kief here.
    I want all the goodies together, au naturale.

23. LarryYo

LarryYo Dab connoisseur.... I just like dabs.... a lot

I have been using a cheapo grinder for a couples now its a r piece grinder and i honestly forget that i get keif when grind my herbs lol.. occasionally il find a good chunk in their and just move it to another container probably got close to 5 grams of keith stocked away.... A good friend of mine she loves keif tho and has ounces of it around all the time.

1DMF and Stevenski like this.
  24. Stevenski

Stevenski Enter the Dragon

Just having a random thought on when my mate had "coffee grinder dust". We were living together in party central & I can still picture the fat sandwich bag of kief from the communal coffee grinder he owned (smart guy when I think about it as i was getting heavy usage daily from every visitor). It was somewhere in the region of 70g & we were all so ignorant of it back then. It was a last resort option when you could not get any buds for a couple of days we would hit it but if only I knew then what I do now :mad:.

I would get a tablespoon & make up a g or so of "hash" by mixing it with a drop of water :lol:. Then I would light it on fire & drop it into tobacco to "rub it up" before burning it in a metal cone :rolleyes:. I was a very ignorant man until a few years ago & rather ignorant until I started lurking FC in March or April 2015.

I love me some kief though.

25. Tommy10

Tommy10 Well-Known Member

I raid all my mates dust for my vape when I go for a sesh, got caught out once by a mate that mixed his ciggy in the coffee grinder too... Was not an okay time! Although I have a few friends who grind then mix, they are getting wiser and enjoy the dust themselves now :(.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors