1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Is kief worth it

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by rebels8892, Dec 20, 2015.

1. kellya86

kellya86 Herb gardener...

Hopefully I can make a similar post at some point in the future....

Although with the tax trends in my country, I doubt anything would be affordable....

Its £10 for 20 cigarettes here, glad I don't smoke....

£1.40 for a litre of petrol....

Cannabis tax will be extortionate.....

Kief may be unaffordable for most...

2. herbivore21

herbivore21 Well-Known Member

Actually, kief does not describe only trichome heads. That would be described as a full melt of some kind.

Kief as it is referred to above in this thread is a very low quality dry sift almost always made with one screen (using one of any number of possible pore sizes). Kief does not usually melt at all, and in many cases does not necessarily have more trichome head content than the original flower that has been powdered/extremely finely ground. In the best cases, a small portion of the kief may melt when heated but it is in most cases closer in resin content to flower than to other kinds of concentrates.

For those curious about their own kief: The best way to get a clear idea of what you have is to look at your material through extremely high magnification (60x and greater works well) ;)

3. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

Just tossed my kief screens......getting waaaay thicker denser vapour clouds and I think even better effects. And without the kief screen, I can use a super coarse grind and still cloud up my water tools. When using the screen, alot falls off in my grinder and it shows in the glass....way thinner/wispier clouds.

Looking for a 3 piece (probably SCS) to replace my Kannastor now! I'll just buy my kief separately if I want it (but holy is it ever hard to find around here).

Shit Snacks likes this.
  4. looney2nz

looney2nz Research Geek, Mad Scientist

kief is useful for oh so many edible products, let alone tinctures...

5. biohacker

Does kief need decarbing before consumption? Or can I just eat kief with something straight up for effect?

kellya86 likes this.
  6. Winegums

Winegums Sticky and chewy Accessory Maker

Just like all other weed we use for edibles it needs a decarb cycle to make it bioavailable.

Hippie Dickie, kellya86 and biohacker like this.
  7. Hippie Dickie

Hippie Dickie The Herbal Cube Manufacturer

i was using the definition from Wikipedia:

and most of the THC is located in the trichomes. yes, some thc can even be found in the roots and other plant parts (or so i have read), but, the trichomes is where it mainly is located.

biohacker likes this.
  8. killick

killick But I like it!

Kief doesn't need much decarb - try a scoop in a cup of coffee some time ;)

biohacker likes this.
  9. rabblerouser

rabblerouser vaporizer evangelist / collector

I have some dispensary Moonshine Haze kief that's rated at 60.7% thc... but yeah, usually what you're getting out of the grinder isn't premium

Edit:
    assuming it's one of their halfway potent batches, the kief is the best deal at that dispensary for total dollars per gram of thc.

killick likes this.
  10. biohacker

does it dissolve well? How big of a scoop? Serious edible effects?

killick likes this.
  11. herbivore21

That is Morrocan parlance brother. Kif in Morroco refers to the best grade of hash made locally, which is left unpressed and melts well! This stuff doesn't get exported and it is typically the headstash of the person who made it ;)

The vast majority of folks talking in this thread are not dealing with that material ;) Kief in the western context tends to get used to refer to what I discuss above.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    looney2nz likes this.
  12. Farid

Farid Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that Kif in morocco usually had black mountain grown tobacco in it. That's why hash is legal, but Kif can get you fines - because the tobacco in it is not taxed. Still despite this it is considered the national smoke of morocco.

13. herbivore21

This is how hash is often consumed in Morroco so I believe the distinction might be that if you have your cigarette with a little kif in it, then the police treat it as less serious whereas if you have a pressed brick of hash ready for export, that's gonna get you treated like a trafficker. Of course this is speculation and there may be other information relevant here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  14. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I'v been making a point of using up my old kief stash and not generating new.

I'm always amazed at how many people must not do the math in NM. The price points are crazy at the local dispensaries I'v checked. Bud is always the best buy.

One sells butter at a high markup. So high that it is actually cheeper to get prepackaged edibles let alone making your own butter.

Another sells "Premium Concentrates". They make it out of bud rather than close trim (supposedly) and charge about x2 what the equivalent bud would cost. :doh:

15. EverythingsHazy

EverythingsHazy Well-Known Member

Yes. Grind in a 2-piece or electric coffee grinder, then keep the ground herb on a kief screen of a 4 piece, and little bits will fall through every time it moves around. You won't notice the tiny bit that's missing from each load, since it'll be such a small amount, but after weeks, you can treat yourself to a few "loaded" bowls.

Pure kief bowls tend to taste a bit more concentrate-y, too. Probably the high thc:plant-matter ratio.

16. killick

killick But I like it!

Funny, but after i typed that I made a coffee... a little less that 1/2 teaspoon in that one. You can watch it melt on top of the hot liquid. MediLavaLampLike....

looney2nz, friedrich and biohacker like this.
  17. biohacker

I definitely notice it with my Grasshopper. I've tossed my kief screens for now, and I actually have some amazingly dense milky clouds now! I notice an increase in medication as well. I've been using the kief screens up until now. I couldn't even believe the difference!

18. Blackfriars

Blackfriars Connoisseur of cannabis

Oh, sir, I assure you, it is not! I love my SpaceCase large grinder with kief catcher. I put that kief on top of some flowers I vape and it is like a pine forest!

Vape your flowers "per normal," after grinding... and then wait until that kief collects at the bottom over time!

killick likes this.
  19. Hippie Dickie

Hippie Dickie The Herbal Cube Manufacturer

once i passed 60 i don't wait anymore ... almost 69 now ... the only sin i recognize is dying before the herb jar is empty. (and i try to keep it full.)

killick and kellya86 like this.
  20. Blackfriars

Blackfriars Connoisseur of cannabis

I am there too. And I am almost 47.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors