• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Is kief worth it

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Yeah I hear ya @Pyr0 , I'm not prepared to buy from anyone other than the usual Chinese etailors when it comes to risking additional custom charges. I certainly wouldn't buy from a website that thinks sending me to the Disney channel website because I didn't enter an over 18 DOB by mistake is amusing, they can kiss my furry little butt - most ridiculous thing ever put on a website, prove your over 18 by entering a made up date. pathetic!

If vapefiend stocked them at a reasonable price, I'd buy one!

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
So you can either have a 4pc or a non stick 2pc..???
Not a 4pc non stick??

The grinder hunt continues...

kellya86,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Not a 4pc non stick??
slx-v2-62mm-slx-v2-ceramic-coated-herb-grinder-62mm-9.308.jpg

This is meant to be a 4 piece non-stick according to the website?

http://www.australianvaporizers.com.au/store/slx-v2-ceramic-coated-herb-grinder-62mm.html

zor

Is this the kief thread or the grinder thread? ;)

Getting back on topic, I was visiting a friend on Saturday and wanted to try out just vaping kief for the entire night. Maaaaan oh man is it worth it! This is a mix of over 30 different strains/varieties, so take this with a grain of salt, but the effects and flavor were outstanding in a pax 2 on the first and second settings.

I had to use a screen to create the proper environment for the fine particles but given how it immediately fuses together from just a little heat I'm thinking of weighing out some measured quantities and pressing those slightly before loading. Or, I might just end up making hash, the problem I have with that is knowing when it is spent, IIRC.

Fun times ahead :)

Vaked420

I have a friend who puts a QUARTER against his screens and shakes it every time he grinds. His "kief" is basically just good shake, and the herb he smokes is basically bad shake after he's done torturing it..

I used to do this in my earlier days and while it's not as bad as you make it sound, you do end up with lower grade kief, albeit a good fucking amount of it, and definitely noticeabley less effective weed. I agree with sea of greens that just naturally letting the kief fall off while grinding is the way to go and whIle it won't collect quick by any means, depending on how much you grind, after a half ounce or an ounce worth you'll have a couple bowls worth of kief. Also for vaping I find its best to layer just enough ground weed to cover the screen or bottom of the bowl then sprinkle a decent amount of kief on top depending on how much you want. And definitely stir the kief more often than you would just weed since it clumps easy.

Vaked420,

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
As an owner with a SCS. Nonstick is a huge consideration. I really liked how the Keif is all towards the center of the bowl shape instead of clinging to every corner. But back to the Keif discussion.
@1DMF I went to the UK ebay. On the lowest end of price range, they do have Sharpstone grinders. Which are decent to above average and have been around for a while.
Avoid the chinese knock off stuff. There is a shit ton of it out there muddying up the waters. Why? Two words METAL SHAVINGS. I bought an SCS after pouring over a lot of reviews and the Sharpstone is the runner up with it's diamond shape teeth but the materials they use are decent, if you are not too rough with it. The SCS will grind anything and might be available through the UK ebay at an auction price. Other than that you will probably have to 'grind' elsewhere. Hope the source in the AUS is the one that can help you. As far ebay searching goes, If you can direct yourself into the US ebay, then you can perhaps combine an auction price with the S&H + customs and still come out ahead. Worth a shot. Some dealers have US and UK storefronts. Got my Medium SCS for the price of a small SCS and those things are never on sale!

Conduction and a narrow short pathway is more suited for keif, Since you are not trying to expand water molecules so much. IMHO.
Pax and PAX 2 are perfect for keif and keith sandwiches. I use my shortest wand with my EQ and direct draw from my shortest bowl at low temps.

The quarter trick might come in handy for other dried herbs. Thanks for the tip. Already mentioned the scissors and shotglass trick in the ethnological thread earlier. Any my variation with the EQ potpourri dish.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
What is everyone's thoughts of pressing into pucks vs keeping the keif loose form?

I'm getting ready to harvest and trying to decide if it's worth pressing. I don't need the portability aspect of pucks, so it seems like keeping it in loose form would be easier to manage for topping bowls etc. Pressed might burn a bit slower, but is there any other benefits to pressing it that I am missing?
Pressing it a good ideal for transport.
For general use it does not seem logical?
4 part grinders are a marketing gimmick that I'm guilty of being a consumer. Two or Three piece is ideal.

kief is only $10 per gram?

Just buy it and throw in about .25 Kief on a loose pack of flowers and sit back relax and enjoy!

ataxian,
Reactions: killick

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
So you can either have a 4pc or a non stick 2pc..???
Not a 4pc non stick??

The grinder hunt continues...

Just to clarify for anyone interested the SLX is a 4 piece but rather than have a screw on grounds compartment they made it slip in. I personally grind & then lift the slip in grounds compartment & dump my weed in a bowl. The other part that really helps with the shred is the lid weighs as much as the other 3 sections so it fucking plows through buds. It is very much non stick I think I may be the only forum member with a SLX 2.0 but it is going to take an awful lot to get me to another grinder.

Simplicius

Hey guys

So I'm currently waiting for my Cloud Evo to arrive, which is my first real desktop vape and while waiting I wondered, what people generally think about collecting kief for vaping? Is it still worth it? Or too difficult to handle with a vape and possibly not as potent?

Maybe it'd be better to have as many trichome stalks as possible on the weed your vaping. I really don't know - that's why I'm here :cool:

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
... Maybe it'd be better to have as many trichome stalks as possible on the weed your vaping ....

that's my viewpoint ... sometimes the trichome heads (kief) fall off in the Altoids can holding the "soon to be vaped" herb, so i collect that - dump it on a load in the vial, but i prefer to spread the herb (with trichomes) out in the vial (bowl) so the hot air can have maximum contact and vaporize the contents of the trichome heads ... doesn't work the same with a pile of kief in the bottom of the vial - requires more heat and turns into a conduction vape rather than a convection vape - which is my preference.

lovecrush

http://goo.gl/EsKJzJ
Hmmm... I will try to make some moon rocks using the oil extracted from avb next month (plus kief)

lovecrush,
Reactions: killick

Farid

I used to make pressed hash using kief that was really pulverlized plant matter and broken heads that fell through the screen. I no longer collect kief for a couple reasons.

One is that I find kief degrades faster when it is separated from bud. Being covered by plant mater protects the heads from air and light. If the keif was collected in an aggressive manner it is likely that the heads have broken, and then it's going to degrade even quicker.

The other reason I don't collect it is that it is sticky as hell, and I think I lose more kief to collection tools than I do when just vaping buds without collecting kief. When the heads break it's even worse. Broken heads stick to everything, and are impossible to deal with.

If I preground my bud I'd definitely collect the keif, but I prefer to use scissors on fresh bud whenever I want to vape.

I collect the kief that accumulates on the bottom of mason jars with ethanol, it seems to be more effective than scraping.

killick

But I like it!
I use a Ryot box. Silk screen layer above mirror glass bottom. It's where I dump my fresh ground, about to be loaded into vape, herb. Handy for a bunch of things, including bumping gummies up a notch.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If you are able to get some concentrates or if you are able to scrape some reclaim off of a glass mouthpiece you can make the moon rocks. Get a tiny nugget of cannabis dip in
the reclaim or concentrate and dust it or roll it around in the kief.
Moon rocks are expensive to buy at the dispensary, cheaper making your own. Some places call it kaviar.

You can decarb your kief and add to oil or butter when making cannabutter or medicated oil, it will pack an extra punch.

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I'm sure we have been here before....

I thought there was a thread called
'is keif worth it?'

But I can't find it....

I collect kief, have been for the last 5 oz...

Got a nice half jar of keif now, kept In complete darkness and air tight , obviously....

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it all, maybe just mix a tablespoon full with some fat of some sort, and down the hatch....bet that'll be a nice ride....

zor

Just be sure you decarb if all you plan to do is mix kief with fat :rockon:

I have a small collection going again after accidentally backhanding my jyarz Chico across my living room. Kief would stick to my feet but was otherwise impossible to collect :cry:

My rationale for continuing to collect kief is this: I detect no significant difference in effect/pleasure/relief/high between vaping frosty bud that has been ground in a fourpiece- with kief catcher and about a minute's worth of gentle shaking VS. vaping the same variety of bud carefully ground in a two-piece grinder. The kief on its own sends me to the moon, therefore, for me, being able to collect some kief extends my usage with a given dose of cannabis.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@zor I would definitely decarb before I eat...

@1DMF , don't you worry, I already have a nice amount of kief ready for your press....

As well as some beautiful, soft, almost full melt, red seal hash....

And some 6 month cured origional amnesia....

And a big fuck off sack of trim.....

Bring on the squishing.....

Top Bottom