Is kief worth it

outwest

The notion that your stealing from Peter to pay Paul but using a 4 piece and collecting kief is silly. Sure if you are using a 4 piece grinder with the intent of making kief you are wasting you time. However if you are using it to collect what falls through the screen naturally over time you certainly aren't making your weed less potent (to any noticeable degree, and when you top a bowl off with your collected kief it's definitely noticeable. I vape a shitload of weed and use the grinder exclusively. It's probably going to take me a year to fill up the little kief tray, and if you think I'm making my weed noticeably less potent, that's just plain silly.

outwest

ginolicious

Very good question. I think it is. I've always used a 4 piece grinder. I make my kief into hash with wax paper and a flat iron. Lol

ginolicious,
Reactions: 1DMF
If you like to collect kief then it could be worth it. I honestly do not care to collect kief. I use a SCS three-piece because I prefer to vape it all with the flower.

The amount that falls through (with no molestation) is so negligable I'm sure you loose it in transport/handling, after all it simply falls off when being ground.

Having both a two piece and a four piece I can outright say there is absolutely no (noticeable) difference whatsoever as far as potency goes. One simply has the added bonus of collecting otherwise near impossible to handle goodies. I only have the two piece for when I want a finer grind.

MinnBobber

Not only is there--"steal from Peter to pay Paul", more importantly "there is no free lunch" ! :)

There is only X amount of goodies in your bud, period. You either get ALL of it initially if you grind and load everything in vape--- OR ---with kief collection you get part of it NOW in your initial vape load and part of it LATER in the kief.

The kief is the best part/most potent , so removing it from each load gives each load less potency and flavor.
A grinder "collector" full of kief equals a huge dose of goodies, missing from the sum of your individual loads.

I want it all now---for potency and for full flavor spectrum of all the goodness.
nondarb wrote:
" One simply has the added bonus of collecting otherwise near impossible to handle goodies."

Not sure what you mean as every spec of bud goes in every load. Grind/shred in SCS 3 piece, pour into ratchett funnel, pour into chamber, and enjoy. Kief handles fine, right into each and every vape load.

I guess there will be those that like their kief NOW and those that like their kief LATER.

outwest

Not only is there--"steal from Peter to pay Paul", more importantly "there is no free lunch" ! :)

There is only X amount of goodies in your bud, period. You either get ALL of it initially if you grind and load everything in vape--- OR ---with kief collection you get part of it NOW in your initial vape load and part of it LATER in the kief.

The kief is the best part/most potent , so removing it from each load gives each load less potency and flavor.
A grinder "collector" full of kief equals a huge dose of goodies, missing from the sum of your individual loads.

I want it all now---for potency and for full flavor spectrum of all the goodness.
nondarb wrote:
" One simply has the added bonus of collecting otherwise near impossible to handle goodies."

Not sure what you mean as every spec of bud goes in every load. Grind/shred in SCS 3 piece, pour into ratchett funnel, pour into chamber, and enjoy. Kief handles fine, right into each and every vape load.

I guess there will be those that like their kief NOW and those that like their kief LATER.

I absolutely guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between weed that was ground with a 2 piece grinder vs weed that was ground with a 4 piece in taste potency or any other variable you are using to make your case.

outwest

MinnBobber

I absolutely guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between weed that was ground with a 2 piece grinder vs weed that was ground with a 4 piece in taste potency or any other variable you are using to make your case.

outwest
That's an impossible guarantee, that I won't be able to tell the difference :)

There is only one thing that can be absolutely guaranteed here, that loads from a 4 piece cannot have the same potency as from a 2 piece. That potent kief you collect comes from somewhere---from each load that is missing it's kief.

See, "There's no free lunch". You pay in a little with each load to get that kief at the end.

To kief collect, or not to kief collect, that is the question.....

Tommy10

outwest

The only really guarantee is that someone can not say with any authority how others feel things like taste and potency. Although I agree you aren't really removing the keif from the bud, just catching a little bit that falls off. If it is robbing Peter to pay Paul, you'd be stealing $1 a month from Paul's purse.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I raid all my mates dust for my vape when I go for a sesh, got caught out once by a mate that mixed his ciggy in the coffee grinder too... Was not an okay time! Although I have a few friends who grind then mix, they are getting wiser and enjoy the dust themselves now :(.

I was given a huge bag of coffee grinder kief from a friend who does not use it. Unfortunately I vaped a big bowl of it & ended up with a wicked headache because it was full of tobacco dust too :disgust:. I tried dissolving it in acetone & filtering it through multiple coffee filters but was not game to try it out although it looked pretty good & amber. I have since offered her my old coffee grinder to use but she is too fucking lazy to use two :cuss:.

As for the 2/3 piece vs 4 piece I can tell the difference when it comes to packing my last stem/elbow from what is in my bowl. I will probably miss 5g a year of kief by not using a 4 piece but it all balances out in the end & there is no right or wrong answer as it comes down to personal preference.

j-bug

I'm away from my good grinder while traveling and I'm using a 2-piece right now. It feels like there's kief getting stuck in the grinder that won't be easily recovered. I definitely notice some still in the grinder and it's not easy to get them out. This is possibly less of an issue with a better grinder but when I used a friend's SCS 2-piece I also felt like there was just a lot of kief that wasn't really going anywhere and that was really hard to get to. I think this may be less of a problem in a 3-piece, but I now know that I have a strong preference for a grinder with a decent kief catcher. As long as you aren't shaking your bud with a quarter or doing ridiculous shit to try to produce more kief I think you're losing more kief than you're retaining by using a 2 piece unless you occasionally clean it and do an ISO reclaim or something. I've not got the opportunity to play with a 3-piece grinder yet but I suspect either that or a 4-piece will be my preferred grinder style.

I thought about this some more and here's an addition to my post:

I think people are answering two different questions. The people who are saying "yeah kief collecting is great/better" a seem to be largely answering the question, "does it make sense to use a 4-piece grinder with a kief catcher to catch the incidental amount of kief that falls off in the grinding process no matter what?" Then the people who are saying that kief isn't worth it are answering a different question along the lines of, "Is collecting kief by using a 4-piece grinder with a quarter in it and shaking it around a bit each time you grind your bud worth it?" And the clear answer to that question is no. It just seems a little like we're talking around each other rather than trying to answer the same question.

To answer the OP, it depends which of those questions you're asking. If you're wondering whether or not to do all sorts of tricks to extract more kief from your bud then it's not worth it and you may have a less potent product that you're consuming, both in terms of added plant material in your kief and extra trichromes and other goodies falling off your bud unnessecarrily, then it's definitely not worth doing that. If you're gradually collecting kief in a 4 piece grinder from what is naturally just gonna fall off and through the kief screen then it's probably worth it as most people feel you're losing a negligible amount of actives or simply collecting actives you'd be losing anyway by collecting kief as it naturally comes off during the grinding process.

Last edited:

killick

But I like it!
I picked up a spiffy looking makeup brush. The handle is metal-coated, and comes to a dull point. It's great for cleaning the grinder - the pokey end scrapes the stuff stuck around the edges, and the brush does a good job of getting things of the facing teeth. I get quite a bit just from that after a couple of days.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I was given a huge bag of coffee grinder kief from a friend who does not use it. Unfortunately I vaped a big bowl of it & ended up with a wicked headache because it was full of tobacco dust too :disgust:. I tried dissolving it in acetone & filtering it through multiple coffee filters but was not game to try it out although it looked pretty good & amber. I have since offered her my old coffee grinder to use but she is too fucking lazy to use two :cuss:.

As for the 2/3 piece vs 4 piece I can tell the difference when it comes to packing my last stem/elbow from what is in my bowl. I will probably miss 5g a year of kief by not using a 4 piece but it all balances out in the end & there is no right or wrong answer as it comes down to personal preference.
nah you'd do well to toss that stuff, if I'm reading the internet right nicotine is soluble in acetone so you'd end up with a cannabinoid nicotine mix. depending on how much nicotine you could get a nice boost in effects up to nausea/throwing up from too much.

re: the thread, I don't really shake my grinders or use a coin so the kief being knocked off is somewhat negligible but after a while I do end up with a nice collection.

killick

But I like it!
IIRC @ChippyMalone was mentioning a kief-like method he uses. I can't do it justice, so will leave it for him to provide the play by play action... And take it away Chippy...

killick,
Reactions: 1DMF

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
I try to remove as little as necessary when grinding. But save what I can in either 4pc. Keif are finer bits going to collect regardless how careful I pack and turn my grinders.

Use my Haze shredder when it arrives fresh because it tends to split up nicely in larger tufts with anything fluffy, and does the least harm to the surface area. Once what I have left becomes drier over time, or if it is already dense to begin with, then the SCS. Forget it, drive on. :D

Contrarily, I can still experiment with using scissors with single tufts and my 14mm EQ setup. Good to know, if I get my hands on something more exotic.:brow:

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
So looking forward to Christmas when I will get my new shiny Chromium 4 piece Shredder and I can finally make acquaintance with Keith :)

Happy Vapemas
GHXfKdJ.jpg

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I'm sure the 3d image will be impressive. My concern is the quality of grind. I hope it gets it fine enough. We will see.

I'm sure it will be good enough, and if it isn't, you can't slag it off, being a present and all...

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I collect kief/scuff in my 4 piece and do sandwiches every now and again. I used to shake any trim thru a silk screen. Place trim/bud in a tin similar to this
kXt0iv1m.jpg

Put the screen over the top and use a rubber band to hold it in place. Put the lid on, invert the tin and shake. You can put a marble or something into to knock the crystals off. Open the tin upside down and all the scuff collects in the lid.
The amount you get off varies on the trim/bud quality. I mixed this with BHO so it was more manageable. The resulting hash is top notch. Easier to use and transport. You can make it as squidgy as you want. It's especially good to give to your hash smoking friends who usually treat it like old fashioned hash and really have no idea on potency.
I gave a lump to a hash smoker, bud was to strong for him, I warned him not to roll it between his fingers too much as it would just melt. Did he take notice. Did he fukers like. So after he managed to get the warm smear of hash off his thumb he made a baccy/hash single skinner. Lit it had two maybe three tokes and had to take himself off home. Oh dear another 'I know better' victim.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
... and if it isn't, you can't slag it off, being a present and all...
Do you wanna bet!

I recently flogged the missus xmas present from 2 years ago on eBay because she got drunk one night (before she was up the duff!) and told me how much she hated the keyboard on a £2,000.00 custom built laptop I gave her.

We got £600.00 for it with still 9 months left on the warranty! - I think that's why she specifically told me not to get her anything this year!

However, as I specifically asked for that item, if it is shit, she'll say it's my fault anyway as that's the one I asked for!

I sure hope this Keith is worth it :)

Edit: well if what @phattpiggie just said is anything to go by, I think Keith is about to become my new best friend!

Top Bottom