StickyShisha2

macbill said:
Perhaps if they would devise a metal stub that would attach and protrude at the top, and have a type of metal bayonet sleeve to slide the plastic straw mouthpiece in, that might solve the problem.
if metal protruded at the top, it would get VERY hot!! Have you touched the heat pin while its hot?

StickyShisha2,

t00fatt

I'm really thinking about getting myself an iolite/i-inhale, I almost pulled the trigger when it first came out and now I'm feeling tempted again. Does anyone have any experience actually vaping tobacco or even e-cig liquid with an iolite? I've heard of people using it for tobacco, and is the main reason I'm interested again. And if so, does using tobacco forever taint the taste when using with buds?

t00fatt,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
StickyShisha said:
if metal protruded at the top, it would get VERY hot!! Have you touched the heat pin while its hot?
Well, then a metal stub over which you place heat resistant tubing, flexible or rigid.

macbill,

ry4n

Got mine today from ebay for about 150$ USD paid in CAD, filled it up with first grade Colibri butane near zero impurities, gets me high as a kite in seconds. Wonderful piece of equipment. Works like a charm. Warmly recommended.

This PD is definitely teaching me an efficiency lesson: for the same buzz, I use about 1/3 of the amount I put in my volcano.

(sorry first post, not acquainted with the set of acronyms yet...)

ry4n,

t00fatt

Samsquanch said:
tdavie said:
@Samsquanch; have you seen 'Countdown to Liquor Day' yet? And get me a Double Double eh?

Tom
Are you kidding me? , Love TPB , .......Double Double :brow: :brow:
haha

"That's only 75 cents Terry, for fucks sake..."

t00fatt,

scoobie-doobie

Hey tOOfatt,

Can't speak to actual tobacco, but I have used nicotine liquid in the IO. The most important thing to know is that the IO makes MUCH stronger vapor than an e-cig. Cut your nic dosage by half and you should be fine. That is to say, if you normally vape 24mg, cut it to 12mg and you should be fine.

I've heard that putting cotton in the bowl will give you a good conduit for the liquid, but frankly, I've just put a couple of drops on near the end of a regular "green" vape. Kind of satisfies my old habit of a ciggy after a toke.

As for lingering taste.... a quick cleaning with ISO alcohol rids the IO of any taste. Search the board for many techniques for doing just that.

The last thing I'll point out is that having nicotine vaping stuff with the IO gives you plausible deniability if you travel. That is to say, I ALWAYS clean my IO thoroughly, replace the stem with a fresh, unused one and pack all my e-cig stuff with it when I fly. I have yet to be ask, but should someone actually question the device, I am quite ready to show them how I vape e-liquid with it.

All that being said, it is not the greatest thing in the world for tobacco vaping, as the temp is not quite optimal. Although it will work, it is not as good as say a good quality e-cig. But for herbal vaporizing, it is near perfect. I've had one now for over 6 months and love it. After reading this forum, I purchased plenty of extra stems, but have yet to use a single one (other than swapping clean ones for travel). Can't say enough good things about this device. I am more than happy with mine.

SD

scoobie-doobie,

smoknaces

Account Closed
i really dont understand why these things are so popular.

1. butane- big headache to reload all the time. Plus, butane + heat is not what i want 2-3 inches from my face. I dont care how safe it is. Cost of operation outweighs its usefulness/portability
2. fit and finish- i lol'd when i saw one at a head shop and lol'd even harder when i received one as a gift! You guys dont feel jipped for $250?
3. that damn stem!
4. butane- lol, really?
5. ease of use- non-existent

i understand that there is a learning curve to every vaporizer but this thing takes the cake. I have a feeling that the iolite took off because of groupthink and not much else.

my buddy has a portable vaporizer from a company that isnt too popular around here and it takes a dump on the iolite in terms of ease of use and vapor density.

smoknaces,

scoobie-doobie

Wouldn't trade mine for anything. Crowded beach on a windy day, this thing is king. Discreet, easy and convenient. Happy to pay for such.

Not sure what the point of your thread is as you only seem to be hating. Won't even tell us what your buddies vape is that "takes a dump". Feeling a bit testy today? Need to vent?

SB

scoobie-doobie,

greystr0ke

I love mine like a child and it has impressed everyone that I have shared it with thus far.

greystr0ke,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
smoknaces said:

1. butane- big headache to reload all the time. Plus, butane + heat is not what i want 2-3 inches from my face. I dont care how safe it is. Cost of operation outweighs its usefulness/portability
2. fit and finish- i lol'd when i saw one at a head shop and lol'd even harder when i received one as a gift! You guys dont feel jipped for $250?
3. that damn stem!
4. butane- lol, really?

i understand that there is a learning curve to every vaporizer but this thing takes the cake. I have a feeling that the iolite took off because of groupthink and not much else.

my buddy has a portable vaporizer from a company that isnt too popular around here and it takes a dump on the iolite in terms of ease of use and vapor density.
It was my first vape (December 11/09), and I used that exclusively until January 29/10 when I bought an Extreme .v3 and February 26th when I bought a Launch Box. Perhaps because it was my first, I was really enamored with it. I just used it tonight for the first time in a few weeks (April 10-16?) and although it took me longer to get the effect that I wanted than with the Launch Box, it was very stealthy, and easier to use one handed. I have found the butane problematic to load at times (say 1/20 reloads), but it's always due to a vapor lock on my part, and so far purging over an hour or so has always worked. But the ease of use of butane is a big plus in my opinion.

Do I feel jipped by the fact that I paid $225? No, but I would have liked something that seems more duravle/sturdy. 5 months and no problems so far.

Tom

tdavie,

GreenLeaf

smoknaces said:

3. that damn stem!
4. butane- lol, really?

Your post does show some of the reasons why I did not get an iolite such as the butane and the cost.

GreenLeaf,

greystr0ke

$200 to be able to vape almost anywhere you could imagine seems like a pretty good deal to me. You're paying for the convenience factor in my opinion and for people who need that, it's well worth it.

greystr0ke,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
It's no good for you. It's good for me. Different strokes for different folks. I'm sorry your experience has been bad with your unit. Both of my units work great.

Is it an essential accoutrement to dopers-on-the-go? No. It is very stealthy, a bonus for dopers, and it allows a non-smoke alternative to a pipe load. While I think it worth every penny that full retail price would suggest, with the discounts offered here, many do not pay full price. I paid $190 and $167 for both of my fully warrantied units.

No vape is the best for all. I find this vape very very good for me.

macbill,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
+1 Macbill

I love the Iolite in my rotation, I have a few but I got a really great deal so....couldn't resist.

Great for out in the boat, etc. It has it's place for many of us as a good portable but is not for everyone which is cool. I wouldn't trade mine though and several folks have bought them after using mine.

There are so many vape choices which is a wonderful thing. If you don't like one, try another :2c:

Lo,

greystr0ke

The bosses have been out all week here at work so yesterday I invited the office manager :brow: to partake in session with me. She's a health freak and was absolutely amazed by it. She told me today that she is gonna buy one.

greystr0ke,

Old Marine

Vaporist
Greetings All!

Thought I would jump in here with my experience with the Iolite

I have had my Iolite for over a year now. It is used 3 times a day 5 days a week. 45 minute drive to work, lunch break, and then the 45 minute drive home. Never had any problems with it. Never have I had a stem break. Still using the original stem.

Gas is not a real hassle, just keep it handy in the auto and the house. As has been mentioned, bleed it all out occasionally.

I grind my herb lightly in a coffee grinder. Pour it into an Altoids tin and you are ready to load on the road. It seems easier to me to just dip some out of the tin. I tried every which way to come up with a way to pour into the bowl, but it always made a mess and I wasted herb. Tried a diabetes strip container, a film container, and finally gave up. The Altoids tin makes it super easy to load.

Someone in here wrote that you first let it heat up bowl empty, and then load it after the gas has cycled once or twice. Let it bake for a minute and it is ready to give you some good vape hits. They knew what they were talking about. I don't pack the bowl tight or fill it up all the way.

Another thing I have done is use a 4 inch piece of tube and glass mouth piece I got with my Extreme to make a tube that I just slip on and off of the stem. When I have taken my stem out for cleaning the bowl assembly and the stem in alcohol I find it unscrews easier if the unit is heated up. Seems just the opposite of what you would think.

I use a bag I got from Pammy with my PD to blow my used material into. Again no mess in the auto with that method.

If my Iolite quit working tomorrow... I would buy another right away

Old Marine,

im12party

Here's my experience with the i/o lite.

Pros:

Stealthy, very stealthy.
I have used it in bars, restaurants, walking through hotels and elevators and I rarely catch a second look.

I have vaporized white widow in the presence of someone who hates the smell of combusted herbs but had no complaint about the vapor. (to me this is tops)

Gets you stoned. No doubt.
Once you get past the learning curve. (which is one of my cons).

Reliable .
Only once did I have ignition issues. When it did finally lite after 15 min or so is was out of butane.
Some times I get ignition pressing the ignition button once or twice, sometimes after 5 or 6.
More often I find that the problems with ignition come when I fill the unit without venting it.
i.e. filling while unit still has fuel in tank.

No real opinion on cost. I get mine for $212.00 U.S..

Cons:
The learning curve.
Rule 1: Be patient. Let the unit heat up for a good five minutes.
Rule 2: Don't over pack the herb chamber, also I allow the empty bowl to heat up during the initial 5 minutes then add the herb.
Rule 3: Be patient. Allow freshly packed herbs to sit in bowl for 30 to 45 seconds before drawing.
Rule 4: Loooonnnnngggg sllllooooowwww draws.
Rule 5: Allow a little time to pass between draws as this allows the herb to heat again.
Rule 6: Enjoy the pleasures and benefits of vaporizing.

Be careful with the stem. I snapped one off.
They tend to break right where the plastic meets the stainless threads.
If you decide to remove the stem do so when the unit is Hot (allow herb chamber to heat up), the same goes for when screwing it in. The reason being is that resin is like a glue when cold and an oil when hot.

These are my observations.

All summed up.
Most people that I share it with love it (one guy said it was from a Star Trek movie or something).
Someone loved it to the point that they begged me to sell them mine today and I did.

I TOOK THE MONEY, HEADED TO THE PIPE SHOP AND HAPPILY PURCHASED A NEW ONE!:)
I couldn't see myself going one day without the usefulness of this device.

I hope my observations help.

im12party,

NuttinOnYoFace

I have a quick question about bud. I know a lot of people have been saying that the drier it is the better it will be in the vape. I was wondering if if would be a benefit to buy say an oz and just save it. Would it still be good in the vape say a month or even 6 months from now since it extracts the THC?

NuttinOnYoFace,

greystr0ke

Not sure that I understand what you're asking. Are you planning on buying bud that is sticky or something?

Since I have had my unit (2 months), I've only had one really sticky batch of bud and it did not fair very well in the iolite. I just let it sit in my car for a few hours while I was at work and when I came back, the buds were dry and much more usable in the iolite.

If you buy bud and it's not overly sticky or wet then it should be fine in the vape. The sticky bud worked, it just took longer before I was getting thick hits.

greystr0ke,

NuttinOnYoFace

So basically it just took longer to heat it up? It didnt like cause you to get not as high for the amount of bud used did it?

And what I meant was, would it be better to say buy an oz of krippy for say 300, and just use it continually for say 6 months instead of buying a 10 sac here and there(which would end up totalling 400 for the same amount)

So basically what I am asking is, if I were to put bud in the iolite that is like 6 months old and super dry, would i get as high as putting the same amount of bud that I just bought the other day?

Only wondering cause I know a lot of people say older bud when smoked burns quicker and you dont get as high as fresher bud

NuttinOnYoFace,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
NuttinOnYoFace said:
Only wondering cause I know a lot of people say older bud when smoked burns quicker and you dont get as high as fresher bud
If you've stored your bud reasonably well (sealed container that is dark will do) your weed will get you as high as the day you bought it up to at least a year (probably much more). Older bud will probably burn quicker because it's drier.

Tom

tdavie,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
NuttinOnYoFace said:
would it be better to say buy an oz of krippy for say 300, and just use it continually for say 6 months instead of buying a 10 sac here and there(which would end up totalling 400 for the same amount)
A person builds tolerances to the strain they are using (and MJ in general), but you save money on buying larger quantities. I always buy in quantity, but I try to have a few different varieties around. Still, unless I take a break from consuming (eg: a week off), tolerances still get established. Since oxygen and light are the great destroyer of organic matter, store it in an airtight container and out of sunlight. I've stored stuff up to a year. If it degraded, it was so slight I couldn't tell.

macbill,

tomitface

Hey guys, i have a quick question and im sure its been discussed here before, and please excuse me for looking for the quick solution as opposed to browsing through the thread. I just purchased a turquoise iolite off of ebay, and i was wondering what butane is more appropriate for use with the device. I have heard that vector is the way to go, but this has come from a single source and i would the advice of the family..

tomitface,
Top Bottom