vape4health

Anyone ever heard of something that could clean the gunk from the butane , something like injector cleaner for a engine but just for butane deposit's .

I was reading up on pure butane and its not what we are using , it seams that n-butane is pure but will it work just the same in a IO ???? Maybe that would let this little babby run for ever .

And I did the spray butane on a mirror to see what it leaves , dam butane is dirty .
I tried ,
Ronson , leaves nothing that I an see
Blazer , leaves some but the least of the few I tested that did leave something
Zippo , yep they make butane too , dirty leaves alot of white stuff
And some super cheap stuff , big yellow can , that shit was so bad I wouldnt use it for a lighter
I have some Vector on its way so Ill try that as soon as I get it .

vape4health,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
sundaddy said:
y.

Honestly, as Ronson probably sells more butane in the US than all the other brands combined, it might have been a good idea to engineer the product so that it wasn't so damn sensitive and could work properly with any kind of national brand of butane. Just saying...
I've only now switched from Ronson. I never had problems that I noticed. I own two Iolites, the first I bought last year when they were first introduced, and one I bought this last early summer. Never had a problem getting it started. I like being lucky.

I realize that others have had many problems, and that is why I switched.

macbill,

stealth1

vape4health, thanks for the reply :cool:

CS told me that the melting mouthpiece problem is solved so I bought one and had it delivered overnight. The first thing I did was unscrew the mouthpiece and looked for the "X" on the threads...can't see it. My Iolite has a mesh screen under the heatpin so I'm not sure which version this one is.

I have the Vector butane, etc ready but I'm at work so I can't test it out...or can I? :ninja:

stealth1,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Can I use Zippo Premium Butane Fuel for it ? Or is Zippo Butane not high enough quality ?
If you want to be sure you're using clean butane, Vector is widely regarded as the best. If you can't get it, look for something with the near zero impurities mark.

If you want to see for yourself, spay some on a mirror as mentioned above and see what's left when it evaporates.

iolite said:
The issue with the fuels is that the non refined fuels have impurities in them, which can lead to a build up of an oily substance in the jets and thermostat of the iolite which will cause a blockage or reduce functionality. The iolite has a graphite filter in the tank to try and clean out the impurities, but it won't clean them all out. This is why we have a list of recommended fuels; to try and reduce problems users may have due to impurities in the fuel.

vtac,

leozdad

Nah the iolite guy was around for the begining of the stem debacle.

I have been using ronson brand butane bought here in PA and i haven't had any problems with either of my units so far. I've had them for approx 2 1/2 months.and i rotate the use of them. :peace:

leozdad,

stealth1

stealth1 said:
vape4health, thanks for the reply :cool:

CS told me that the melting mouthpiece problem is solved so I bought one and had it delivered overnight. The first thing I did was unscrew the mouthpiece and looked for the "X" on the threads...can't see it. My Iolite has a mesh screen under the heatpin so I'm not sure which version this one is.

I have the Vector butane, etc ready but I'm at work so I can't test it out...or can I? :ninja:
I did a dry run for about 10-15 minutes and everything seems fine. The unit sends the butane and the piezo did its job; it heats up, with the occasional cool-off/heat regulator doing its job and runs a few cycles after its turned off. The mouthpiece seems fine as well, I didn't force the mouthpiece for durability but it stays on with no visual stress on the plastic. So far so good.

stealth1,

max

Out to lunch
willieR said:
300ml (10.2 oz) can of Vector is only $6.50? I have been sooooo overpaying!
On-line it'll end up running you $15+ w/shipping. Tobacco-barn.com has a good price on a 3 pack-comes out to about $10/can.

max,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Those in the Portland, OR area can buy Vector for $5.98/320ml at 82nd Ave Tobacco & Pipe -

macbill,

stealth1

yea Vector is pretty good; I checked 3 tobacco shops just because of this thread. I searched for locations on their website and it listed only 1 place that had it around the area. The tobacco shop owner asked me if I had a good lighter when I picked it up instead of the other brand. Seemed like he was going to recommend the cheap butane if it was for dispable lighters.

I think good butane might be optimal for the Iolite. Mine never sputtered and operates pretty smoothly.

stealth1,

shotgunwilly

i bought vector on line and with shipping it came out to be about $9 per can including the shipping...(the shipping didnt increase much per can so i got 3 cans to lower shipping costs... base price was 6 bucks, and 8 for shipping....from a place called Cigar Hut...(http://www.cigarsforless.com/ ) stealth1, the X you are looking for would be found at the shoulder of the stem, where the threads meet the main stem part, and it would only look like an X if you were to look up thru the hole on the bottom of the threads, and even then, it would look more like the tips of a + sign...(since the hole would be in the middle of the +). basically it looks like little lugs at the 12, 3, 6, 9 position.... if it is smooth around the top of the threads, then that might either be an old model, which had the good stems, (i believe those are the stems they sold on ebay that i bought that worked) also, a few folks on here have mentioned that their stems didnt have the + sign tips on the first ones that came out and those are the ones that have lasted... and it sounds like possibly an older unit since you have the bottom screen, (which i ended up removing to increase the amount of heating metal on the herb) and from what i understand, (and i could be wrong, so please correct me if i am) but, evidently the new ones dont have the bottom screen or removable pin.... (can you remove the pin?) as far as noticing stress on the stem... when mine failed, it was without any warning, but it was pretty quick after exposing it to heat, it just kinda fell off... i didnt hit it, or anything... and the weird part was, it looked as if it snapped clean, not melted, as i was able to put it back together with a little crazy glue because it was a clean break...not warped or anything...as you would expect from plastic that melted... it went together perfectly...and that went for both of the stems that i had that "melted"... it was almost as if there had been a pre existing crack there on both of them.

shotgunwilly,

stealth1

shotgunwilly, thx for describing the x's. If that's the case, mine does have the X. And I can and did remove the pin and the bottom screen. Also, there was a separte note that came in the box from the Iolite people saying to remove the screen that's in the new unit and put in the they provided. The screens look exactly the same and I got them mixed up when I took the screen out to compare.

stealth1,

shotgunwilly

hey steath1, sure, no worries... as far as the pin goes... be uber careful unscrewing and screwing it in... from my understanding they can get jacked up easy... (i thought i read that somewhere in the previous 56 friggin pages....my brain was too numb after a point...) but ive always been real careful with mine, and so far so good... as far as the mouth pieces, if it ends up melting on you, you may want to look at buying a replacement on line... i got mine on ebay from Warehouse Goods ... i think you can look them up on ebay stores.... it was 14.95 with free shipping... as far as the screen thing goes... i dont know... i didnt notice any thing like that in mine...no notes... i had an extra screen in a bag with other extra parts... but as far as the bottom screen goes, i ended just taking mine out.... also, it may help, (doubt it) but leave the bottom piece of the stem screwed in... so about 1/2 inch is all sticking up... on the ones from ebay, they unscrew at that length. thats what i do, and dont know if it makes the difference or not, but, so far, so good...so anyway, good luck, i hope those stems work they sent you, that would be great if theyve un fucked their stock....

shotgunwilly,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Good info on the Vector guys. Thanks.

I have an older i-inhale. Been using Ronson the whole time. Never had an issue. Like Macbill, I have switched to Vector to avoid an issue.

I also removed my bottom screen. Operates much better. Also allows you to pack a micro-bowl around the base of the stem only. Works great.

The old i-inhales can remove the pin, new ones cannot remove pin.

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
All new iolites have rounded bottom of bowl, no lower screen and a non-removable pin.

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Generally every third session for me. I top it off. There's no way to tell how full it is.

willieR,

vape4health

See edit :

I was so excited to get some Vector in the mail :) , first thing I did was spray some liquid Vector on a mirror , that stuff looks just as dirty as blazer :mad: I dont think Ill be using this vector . The Ronson I tested seams a whole lot cleaner then this vector , maybe all the bad stuff is not visable in the ronson but it sure seams to be the cleaner of the butane's that I have tried .

I'm just gonna order some of that expensive stuff that's for butane tools and hand warmers , you would think its super clean right , and Ill be lookin for that ( near zero impurities mark ) thing from vtac's post , thanks for that vtac .

Vector dont have the zero impurities mark so maybe its not any good for the IO :2c:

Edit , after trying the Vector out for a few weeks , it did make my Iolite run alot better , enough that someone else noticed and I didnt have to tell them that something was different , he was like " did you do something to this "

So after using the vector , I will not use the ronson , with it running that bad on it just makes me worry about what it may be harming .

vape4health,

max

Out to lunch
Oglesby & Butler have a lot of experience with butane, and recommend Vector, among others. That's good enough for me. As for zero impurities, they've never said that's a requirement. And the iolite has a built in filter for impurities too.

max,

sundaddy

I've always wondered how you could clean the butane "filter". BTW I got some mini containers of butane in clear plastic containers that actually had fibers (like lint) floating around in there. No way I'm puttin' that shiz in my little buddy.

sundaddy,

yewrev

WTF.... AFter only the SECOND USE my iolite has already broke both of the stems it comes with... Clean breaks right at the point where it screws into the iolite leaving the screw plastic part stuck in the unit... with no rough handling what so ever... actually very very gentle with it ... this is BS

CHEAP UNIT

IM MAD!

yewrev,

sundaddy

DUUUUUDE,:o the last 15 pages are about faulty stems, I suggest you read back a few.

sundaddy,

yewrev

what is anyone doing about it..?? im not paying for more they better send me some for free.

yewrev,
Top Bottom