frogbmth

Awesome. I have had nothing but good service from them. Like most places they probably get just a bit bogged down sometimes. It's so great to have a rep here looking after us :)

frogbmth,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
kingrandom said:
Samsquanch said:
I was just hoping for some clarification , you said you just bought your Iolite new , did it come with totally plastic stems , or do the stems have metal threads , would love some input on the new generation stems ?
mine had the new metal threaded stem, but it is metal attached to plastic - the plastic broke away from the metal.
Wow , I though the new stems were supposed to solve this problem , I think I will stick with my homemade glass stem with metal threads , tastes nice , collects resin faster , cleans easier .

Side note: Ive been noticing lately around here (FC) an interest in glass stems , I haven't heard anyone else doing it with an Iolite , but I see it going on with the PD , MZ , WD threads , basically anything that doesn't have a glass vapor path has been open for modification . Glass is good and obviously glass is something people want , think about it . :2c:

P.S. Thank you Ciarn@O&B for coming to our forums and helping our members out , it is appreciated .

Samsquanch,

albe

with the broken stem, if you're having trouble getting the piece out... try a safety pin pushed into the broken bit, and then unscrew.

albe,

StickyShisha2

also, you WILL end up needing to warm the herb chamber to un-glue the broken bit.

i haven't posted to this thread in a while. My io is still going strong. I've done some more altering to my herb chamber and its plastic cover, with a dremmel. Now I have a double stem. The short one is the intake.
I still use a rubber band to keep the chamber from popping off.

StickyShisha2,

Raf007

Retailer
Hey guys...and girls,

A friend of mine poured 4 drops of water into is Iolite chamber (on the weed of course), and told me he got some nice thick vapor (it makes sense after all).
Well, 4 drops are too much according to his xperience, but he thinks (and will try) that 2 drops should do the trick.

Do anyone or people from O&B think it can be harmfull in anyway ?

Raf007,

scoobie-doobie

Coming at this from e-cigs, I wondered if using a drop or two of e-juice (mostly propylene glycol with various flavorings) might be amusing?

BTW, I just flew commercial air with my iolite. Had NO stash with me (friends at destination!). I cleaned the unit completely and set it up to vaporize e-juice. Although no one ask, I was prepared to explain that I use it as a tobacco cessation device, like the other e-cigs I had with me.

There's a thread on how to vape e-juice here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=7TZmUEQEHT0&v=UTow4sbnJnA

Of course, you will need to COMPLETELY empty your iolite of butane prior to going through security. Also remember that butane is forbidden for travel.

The main reason I acquired my iolite was for travel. Thus far it is a champion. Of course, traveling with this is NOT risk free, and the possibility of losing it to an overzealous security guard is very real. My hope is a credible reason for possessing such a thing will give it a viable chance at getting through. Bottom line, have your story straight before you get there.

scoobie-doobie,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Hi Scoobie and welcome to FC! I use the e-cigs and have tried the e-juice in the Iolite. Holy hell, it hits like a freight train!!!!!!! Be sure to dilute the juice down from your normal strength as you will NOT need as much nic with the Io.

Honestly, I find it's too much for me and those who I've had try it. They usually cry uncle and hand it back. My sister after taking a few puffs said: Are you fucking nuts, take it AWAY??

While I don't use it for the e-cig purposes I do think it would be great for anyone still wanting to sneak a cig, the Io packs such a punch that I think it would work for folks who need a heavy hitter!! Also would be great for camping trips or places where charging batteries is a problem. A bottle of butane and you're good to go!

Good luck!

Lo,

scoobie-doobie

Hey lo

I hear you. I got some 10ml e-juice and cut it to about half to make it tolerable. Honestly, I don't really like it for vape e-juice, but certainly gives me a legitimate reason to have it in my possession. Had the IO for about 2 months now and feel like I'm starting to get it "dialed in". I guess that was one of the reason's that I felt justified in putting out the extra cash.... it doesn't LOOK like paraphernalia. I thought about the LB, but honestly that thing just says, "Bust Me" at a glance. I roll with a lot of specialized electronics in my business, and it blends right in with all the other oddball gadgets that I work with. I read quite a bit about the mouthpiece issues, and after a couple of months (without an issue), I have to wonder if they are fidgeting with the thing while it's still hot. As a matter of habit, I don't try and disassemble it while it's hot. As the plastic is at it's weakest when heated, it just seems like a bad idea.

scoobie-doobie,

frogbmth

Hey you found my eliquid video :D

Welcome to FC. IMHO e-liquid is better in the IO when dripped onto some herbal molasses, but it will work with just eliquid. The stem will hold a Swan slim cigarette filter which will tighten the draw and cool the vape. I use one all the time when using the IO for tobacco and it helps keep particles out of your airways too.

It's funny you know, I have never had an issue with any of the stems in any of my IOs

Andy

frogbmth,

Derf

Raf007 said:
Hey guys...and girls,

A friend of mine poured 4 drops of water into is Iolite chamber (on the weed of course), and told me he got some nice thick vapor (it makes sense after all).
Well, 4 drops are too much according to his xperience, but he thinks (and will try) that 2 drops should do the trick.

Adding moisture will probably make a lot more steam, which isn't really beneficial when you compare to pure, thick vapor off an SSV. The problem is that the Iolite just doesn't get as hot as a variable temp vape.
Adding moisture (water) will almost certainly ruin the experience in my estimation because the vapor will be very hot, and while your mouth can handle dry heat, getting a mouth full of hot steam may not be so enjoyable. There is a "moisture condenser" included in the Iolite for a reason.

If you want thicker clouds, try waiting for the chamber to heat up a few cycles with your herb in it, and pull slooooow. Use quality herb. And as your bowl starts to thin out, give it a couple shakes, wait a cycle and then hit it again. The gentle shaking really helps.

Derf,

fidget

Derf said:
Raf007 said:
Hey guys...and girls,

Adding moisture will probably make a lot more steam, which isn't really beneficial when you compare to pure, thick vapor off an SSV. The problem is that the Iolite just doesn't get as hot as a variable temp vape.
Adding moisture (water) will almost certainly ruin the experience in my estimation because the vapor will be very hot, and while your mouth can handle dry heat, getting a mouth full of hot steam may not be so enjoyable. There is a "moisture condenser" included in the Iolite for a reason.

If you want thicker clouds, try waiting for the chamber to heat up a few cycles with your herb in it, and pull slooooow. Use quality herb. And as your bowl starts to thin out, give it a couple shakes, wait a cycle and then hit it again. The gentle shaking really helps.
Had mine two months now and your advice is spot on.
Another tip for thicker clouds is to press your weed down in the herb chamber - really compact it.
Let it cycle a few times then hit it as described above once per cycle for three cycles.
Then give it a good shake and a tap and the weed will "uncompact" itself - hit as normal.
I like to put a little QWISO in there as well. You can actually taste when that starts vaporising after 8 or so cycles.
There really is a learning curve with the IO and I'm amazed at how much you can get out of it.

fidget,

ioright

Cloud Connoisseur
Well...after much lurking I figured its time to start posting.

I got the Iolite in December of '09 and it has completely converted me to vaping. Now that I finally got the metal threaded mouthpieces from O&B (almost a month and a half after first telling them about my problem)I figured I would post a couple of quick point thats have helped me get the most out of this beautiful machine.

-Grind up your herb!!! Seriously, this makes a huge deal. I find that dust is too fine (we will get to that in a sec), but you want it very fine
-Let your herb dry
-Take out the bottom screen (older versions)
-Destroy the condenser
-Re-arrange the herb chamber (I got this tip from way earlier in the thread) From the top closest to the threads my chamber goes: C clips, 7 hole screen (with holes facing deat pin), bottom screen (that you conveniently removed two tips earlier)
-Keep your parts clean!!! This makes a huge difference because of how small the pieces are. I know its a pain, but if you can keep it free from buildup the heat transfer is WAY better.

I pack my bowl full, turn on the gas, push the igntion, and wait... As soon as it has finished its first cycle I am getting tasty visible vapor. I can pull on a full bowl for about 25 minutes, without waiting more than thirty seconds between, getting vapor the whole time. I find if I wait too many cycles for it to heat up the vapor gets too hot for my liking and I cough more frequently.

Overall, I am in love with this product. For on the go vaporization the Iolite has my vote.

I don't know if anyone will find any of this helpful, and I think most of it has been said elsewhere throughout the thread...but it felt nice to actually try and contribute instead of just lurking.

ioright,

nusratfateh

First of all, I am a total newbie to vaping and a returnee after a long hiatus to the world of "herbs" - don't remember it ever being called "herbs"...sounds kinda romantic lol My hardest challenge is finding good "herbs" at my age but that is another struggle!!!!

One of the biggest reasons I bought an Iolite is their presence online on forums like this. A great strategy to use social networks like this for feedback and R&D....Kudos Iolite!!

I think I have unreasonable expectations and not enough information. I have read a lot of the posts here and other forums and I think I am piecing this puzzle together. By the way, I have only had it for 2-3 days so still some experimenting to do. So here is what I have figgured out. Please look at all of these as questions and not statements:

* grind dry herb, not too fine, and pack lightly - I believe that is ALL as far as the herbs are concerned?
* Let the unit heat for at least 5 minutes before putting the herb in?
* Then pack the herb and let it heat for another 3 minutes?
* Take slow, long draws

Now this is where it gets very confuzing for me:

Is this meant to be used over a period of time where you keep going back for occasional draws? That would mean I just keep it on for about 30 minutes and just keep going back to it after every heating cycle and take a couple of draws? This is not how I am using it so that might be part of the problem?
When do you know your herb is done?
If I draw too frequently without waiting in between draws, an I then NOT giving the unit enough time to generate vapor?

My bottom line is that this has so far been great for stealth purposes but it has not just gotten me high enough. I need to figgure out what I need to do different. or look for better herb:( :mad: :uhoh::uhoh:

Some comments for Iolite:

I agree with a comment earlier that OFF should mean OFF, if that is possible. Especially when you don't need this thing clicking away when you need it to be quiet.

I wish the mouth piece would just slide into the unit when not in use...seems kinds simple fix if there is room in the unit...would hate for this to get any bigger in it's form:D

Might be easy to provide for a small sliding stash box....make it a self contained unit?:brow:

A small spoon like tool for loading the herb?

BTW Iolite, I think you are missing an entire market segment for your product:D

I do think I need to give this more time so I can figgure it out but I was so excited to get it after reading some of the reviews that I was looking to get very stoned...and that might be part of the issue......

nusratfateh,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
^^^
the vape high is going to be different from what you remember from smoking back in the day, so give it plenty of time. You're having to get used to vapor's effects and the intricacies of a new delivery system all at once. I failed miserably my first week.

For the II, I usually:
1 - fill the chamber half way with herb...no packing.
2 - turn the unit on and let it heat up for one or two cycles
3 - hit it as much as I want until I am done. make sure your draws feel too slow at first. The biggest mistake I see vape newbies do is hit it too hard like a pipe or bong. Go slow at first and learn how to speed it up a little later on.
4 - keep hitting until the visible vapor is nearly gone. This usually takes between fifteen and thirty minutes for me when by myself.
5 - The II is not good for coming back and hitting the old bowl later. I prefer to finish up a bowl in one session.

Good luck and welcome to the forum and vaping!

stickstones,

nusratfateh

Stickstones..tks..I will try and be patient :lol: WOW 30 minutes??? so just keep the unit running and keep sucking on it? how long between draws? and should the draw be right after every time the unit goes through a re-heating cycle?

What about if I don't have 30 minutes? Can I turn the unit off with in the middle of a bowl of herb and then come back, re-start, re-heat and start sucking away?

Thanks again.

nusratfateh,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
30 mins is on the long side for me...usually closer to 15 minutes depending on how relaxed my session is.

Don't sweat how long between draws. The unit has a thermostat to keep it cycling and keep the temp at/near 190C. Hit it right after or during its cycles to get the hottest hits.

I've come back to the II after having to cut a session short and it works, but the way the unit is designed, the herb gets cooked a little more and longer than you want since it is still in the bowl. I much prefer to make sure I can finish the session to completion.

But ultimately, just play with it and figure out how you like to use it.

stickstones,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I like to let my Io sit a couple minutes between draws to get a nicer hit. If I HAVE to stop mid-bowl I remove the herb chamber after taking last draw and balance upside-down precariously until I can come back to it. Generally it's best to finish what you've started. If you just leave it in the chamber it tastes like shit when you come back....like vaping ABV LOL!

It does take a little getting used to the vapor versus smoke but man....once you do - it's a wonderful thing. I can't see myself ever returning to combustion other than an occasional thing and I was combusting for decades. Actual I haven't combusted anything now in MONTHS! Of course I'm collecting other vapes too but still love the Io :D Favorite car vape!!!!!

Lo,

nusratfateh

aaaaahhh ok..tks again! soooo, how do I know the herb is cooked...done?? And by the way, I have read a number of times that I should plan on re-using the herb that is done? Just roll a joint with it?:uhoh:

nusratfateh,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
you'll know from experience...but at first, when you start to get that burnt popcorn taste you have just gone too far. Some people like to finish it well before this point and have it done at a light brown or even light green color. These people have something good for later whether it is cooking, etc. I usually get mine to a medium to dark brown and it has never produced anything good for me after that. I just give it away to my smoker friends for a sleepy time joint or something.

With vaping, you are going to have many more options for how to use as well as what is left over than smoking. You will have fun figuring out what works best for you.

stickstones,

luvsibes

Newbie-1st post. Have had my I-olite 2 wks. Love it and vaping. Had read about mouthpiece problem and it just happened to me! Mine's plastic and it appears to have melted off from the base...it literally fell off while I was holding it. I've been very careful so am now disappointed.

What do I do? Is there a McGyver fix I can do? (I'm not too handy). Even if I ordered new mouthpieces, how would it fit on? Glue?

Help. Please advise, my new forum friends! CE

luvsibes,

Lord Vapor

luvsibes, you can get that broken mouthpiece out with a pair of scissors. Stick one of the blades in and turn. The mfg has instructions on their site. http://www.my-iolite.com/support.asp

Really common problem. My first plastic mouthpiece lasted a week, my second one didn't make it through DAY 1. The new ones with the metal threads seem to be ok so far.

Lord Vapor,

THC

Daft Vapour
Lord Vapor said:
luvsibes, you can get that broken mouthpiece out with a pair of scissors. Stick one of the blades in and turn. The mfg has instructions on their site. http://www.my-iolite.com/support.asp

Really common problem. My first plastic mouthpiece lasted a week, my second one didn't make it through DAY 1. The new ones with the metal threads seem to be ok so far.
Aye myself as well i got through 2 plastics in my first 3 hrs and i was being extra careful. Now I have been using the metal now for 3 weeks + (+I got a spare!) but its still working fine for me that was the major bummer in its whole design(mind u never tried the old bowl type) Still best 'guarantied not to combust' portable IMHO, great for watching telly in bed! lol thats as bout as active as i get lol

THC,

Derf

nusratfateh said:
aaaaahhh ok..tks again! soooo, how do I know the herb is cooked...done?? And by the way, I have read a number of times that I should plan on re-using the herb that is done? Just roll a joint with it?:uhoh:
No dude, either vape it in a variable temp vape that can put out more heat than the iolite, or put it in a food processor and make some flour out of it and bake with it, or put it in cheesecloth and soak it in some melted butter (then use a potato ricer to press out all the butter from the herb) and cook with the butter, or make an extraction either with ethanol or hard alcohol - use the ethanol to drip back onto herb to make it extra potent, or put the hard alcohol in your food, or just drop some in your mouth.

Smoking ABV herb doesn't taste very good, and besides, F*ck Combustion.

Derf,

luvsibes

Thanks for the help with the mouthpiece problem. I ordered two new bowls with mouthpiece last night.

I checked the website for troubleshooting but mine broke at the base, not in the bowl (?). Maybe I'm missing something here, but mine looks like it should be glued back on (but who wants to inhale glue!?). I held it in place and was able to get some vape then had to go combust (yuk!). Can't wait for the new mouthpieces to arrive.

Shortly after ordering, I stumbled on a site for a smoke shop in a nearby locale that specializes in vapes so next time, I can shop local.

Thanks again! CE

luvsibes,
Top Bottom