Lo

Combustion free since '09
CE, if your mouthpiece broke off at the base that means there is still part of it in the threads of the Iolite if your issue happened the way all of ours did. With the Iolite warm so the pieces move easily you should be able to use the tip of a pair of scissors or something similar to push in and unscrew the remaining bits. In my case it came out in 3 or 4 pieces but was removed easily. If you go back through this thread there is more written about it. I would advise getting those plastic pieces out as they don't seem to handle the high temps well (hence they broke). Good luck!

Lo,

szandor

i just got my iolite last night. after sorting out the instructions with the actual iolite...i missed the included sheet showing how the bowl and needle within the iolite is a solid piece now...i realized there wasn't much to assembling. actually none at all aside from the extended mouth piece. filling the iolite with dodo butane required the included butane tip and only took a few seconds to fill. after filling (i overfilled i think as there was spraying) i waited a few minutes before turning the switch from 0 to 1. it took about 3 clicks before the iolite started heating up but once i saw the orange light/felt the iolite warm up, i attached the chamber that i had filled halfway up with it being somewhat but not insanely packed/compressed. after the orange light went out, i took a nice, slow steady sip and actually got a bigger hit than i thought i would due to previous reviews/comments. it hits quite nicely once you get the swing of things. if you have the extended mouth piece attached, you'll hear a slight whistling sound. if you sip where you don't hear the whistle, then increase your draw just slightly to where you hear the whistling, you can obtain pretty nice hits. this thing is pretty amazing. i picked up one off ebay for $150 with a 2/year warranty. packaging/accessories are really nice. totally worth it. i vaped about half of what i would have burned normally and the effect was the same as using any other vaporizer, albeit, with a little more work with loading the bowl and whatnot.

szandor,

420_Skier

After reading about suction meathods for filling wands with other vaporizers, I tried it with the iolite and it worked really well for packing it properly. Only problem is it gets awkward to flip it upside down so everything doesn't spill out. You have to tilt you're head back.

Thought I would pass the tip along.

420_Skier,

luvsibes

Lo, Lord Vapor and All, Woo! Hoo! I got the piece out, picked up a metal threaded mouthpiece at my local smoke shop, and I'm back in the vape world! Meanwhile, I already ordered 2 complete chambers. I was too impulsive and now know you all will come through with the best advice! I guess it's good to have a couple of extra bowls on hand?! Thanks so much. CE

luvsibes,

szandor

ok, one problem i've noticed with the iolite. i keep having this urge to find accessories for it. i'm ordering one of those vaporwhip/mouthpiece tips so maybe that will calm my accessory addiction... btw, has anyone found a cap or an idea for covering the octagonal chamber/mouthpiece for the purpose of carrying it around as a spare?

szandor,

Kush Vapez

don't see why you would cap it if its carried around as a spare. but maybe you meant you wanted to pack it up and have it ready to go. in that case just pack you iolite and itll be ready to use when you turn it on. really isn't much accessories for the iolite. but i picked up the comfort care pack.. like youre getting the tubing, mouthpiece etc. i used it once. I feel I get better hits when just using the small black attachment with the white mouthpiece on that. I like the warmness, and the overall delivery.. but thats just me.

Kush Vapez,

Heisenberg

scientific vaporist
have you already seen the new Fine Mesh screens for those of you who use finely ground products in your iolite ?

Heisenberg,

Derf

Heisenberg said:
have you already seen the new Fine Mesh screens for those of you who use finely ground products in your iolite ?
No. Are these from O&B? The only screen I have is my 7-dot screen, so how would I use this screen without the 7-dot piece? Also, won't finer screens clog more quickly causing you to clean more frequently?

Derf,

Heisenberg

scientific vaporist
Derf said:
Heisenberg said:
No. Are these from O&B? The only screen I have is my 7-dot screen, so how would I use this screen without the 7-dot piece? Also, won't finer screens clog more quickly causing you to clean more frequently?
yes i saw them on their website: http://www.my-iolite.com/products_d.asp?P_ID=379
i think you would remove the screen of the 7-dot piece and replace it with the finer one. i also wonder if they won't cloq more quickly.

Heisenberg,

szandor

anyone happen to know the diameter and length of the octagonal chamber? don't have mine on me and someone is asking so they can see if they have a silicon cap that would suit my capping/covering of the bowl.

szandor,

THC

Daft Vapour
kingrandom said:
Samsquanch said:
I was just hoping for some clarification , you said you just bought your Iolite new , did it come with totally plastic stems , or do the stems have metal threads , would love some input on the new generation stems ?
mine had the new metal threaded stem, but it is metal attached to plastic - the plastic broke away from the metal.
Same thing happened to me yesterday with a metal tip straw. i wonder if the metal grommet u can put in the straw makes the prob worse def. a MAJOR prob why don't they make either all metal primary straw section or ceramic or glass but plastic no no no no no.......

THC,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
Curious to know if anyone else's heat pin and surrounding area is real brown. Mine is virtually all brown except for the tip of the heating pin which I am assuming is from using it 2-3 times a day, but I clean it weekly with alcohol. I posted something about this before and Derf had mentioned it could be the metal oxidizing but I was wondering if anyone else's is in the same state and if the performance has been affected.

AgentofChaos,

Lo

I've been able to maintain my newer Iolite pin better than the removeable one. The older one is quite brown even though I've cleaned often and tried soaking/scrubbing/etc. The newer one actually has been easier to clean though I don't know why since I can't soak it. I rotate them and use frequently. The newer one only has brown spots towards the tip of the pin that seem too stubborn to come off but the rest of the pin comes pretty darn clean with Iso and q-tip action. Knock on wood I'm feeling good about the newer one.

Lo,

THC

Daft Vapour
AgentofChaos said:
Curious to know if anyone else's heat pin and surrounding area is real brown. Mine is virtually all brown except for the tip of the heating pin which I am assuming is from using it 2-3 times a day, but I clean it weekly with alcohol. I posted something about this before and Derf had mentioned it could be the metal oxidizing but I was wondering if anyone else's is in the same state and if the performance has been affected.
I AM ON MY 3RD UNIT BUT THIS ONEAS ALL THE OTHERS THE HEAT AREA (PIN ETC) NEVER SEEN DISCOLOURED SLIGHTLY DIRTY, MAYBE, BUT IF I GAVE IT AN ALCHOL CLEAN IT WOULD BE LIKE A TOOTHPASTE ADD!:) dam this kbd and its busted caps lock led and my lack of ability to touch type without looking at the keys!lol sorry for shouting :) accident - anyhow the discolouration doesn't sound right to me imho

THC,

Derf

I found wrapping a small amount of steel wool around the cotton tip of a q-tip to be excellent for removing brown buildup that iso does not remove.

Derf,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
Here is a picture of what it looks like. I apologize in advance for the quality, it was taken from my iPhone as I don't own a camera. Not sure if you can tell or not but the discoloration is not build up I don't think, it might be from overuse, I do use this thing 2-3 times a day, 7 days a week, so it could just be normal "wear & tear" but I'm not sure....

2.jpg

Here is a better quality pic, if you look closely there is almost a ring of brown, you can see where the discoloration stops.

3.jpg

AgentofChaos,

THC

Daft Vapour
Lol if u think thats over use... well i am a disgrace lets put it that way...lol nope that discolouration is not normal to me; the straws keep melting, but the bowl is as shiny as when i got this replacement 3 months ago and I use mine 7 days a week at least 1 or 2 but some times 15-20 (particularly at a party) a day. Invariably this costs a couple of straws a month,but still got a shiny bowl, do u use liquids?, resin? you said you clean in weekly with alcohol as well!!! yea? IMHO this should not be happening. Is it the old removable pin style?.
Have you tried any other portable vapes there is a great new Swiss one, I have just started trying a Phyto Lab vape that uses any jet lighter guarantees not to burn your herb a get everything out of it vape which I find fills the gap nicely when you want to go out and I haven't got myHA2.1 for small thick hits during the day, and my Verdamper (my personal fav overall if I had to chose 1 :x:) or SSV for when I want to get ripppppped or if I have guests (or more usually all three:)). The PhytoLab and the Iolite I take out. (Have vapour cannon by my bed for any night time topping up:)). So far the PhytoLab seems to do exactly what it says on the box (if it continues to preform this well my Iolite will be on EBay in 2 months!) HOWEVER to me he Phyto is a v new vape so although I am pretty satisfied safety wise and so far vape wise as well I hope its performance continues to be excellent, and it doesn't have melty-straw-atotists. There seems to me 10x the portable vapes around than there used to be a couple of years back so check new portables there are some really innovative people trying to fill this niche market

THC,

Raf007

Retailer
How dis you melt your straw ?

i have the Iinhale version, it never happened to me. I do 20 to 45 min sesh in general.

Raf007,

THC

Daft Vapour
Pass I really don't know I use my Iolite when I am out so normally 1 or 2 bowls and some times 2 straws go in a day some times one will last a month they have replaced the unit this is the third it has only really been usable for me since the introduction of metal tipped straws. It makes me hate what is essentially good cleaver design also i feel like they are doing it so they can make on the straws. It is not beyond the wit of man......
Have you tried the Launch Box? that looks kinda cool

THC,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I got my Iolite on December 11th/09. Use it every day, 2 or 3 times with exception of Fridays when I use the Extreme. The black mouthpiece (all plastic) does get hot after 9 or 10 hits. When I'm as buzzed as I want, I remove the mouthpiece and let it cool while not attached to the Iolite. Still on my first mouthpiece.

Design wise, this *appears* to be a weak point on an otherwise solid design. But I haven't been affected by it.

Tom

tdavie,

Lo

Well I don't know that they're trying to make money on the 'straws'. They sent me new ones for free, first the plastic ones and then they sent me more when the SS mouthpieces were released. I had emailed photos of my broken ones. The last time they threw in a whole herb chamber too! I honestly feel that they did not anticipate the 'new' plastic mouthpieces not working correctly when they made the changeover. Then they were scrambling to get the SS ones out. I'd guess they sent out quite a few 'free' replacements that weren't free to them.

I expect they'll only continue to make improvements as well. Part of product development means there will be bumps in road. It's all in how you manage them. I hope the Io's will be around a long time :)

Lo,

THC

Daft Vapour
Thats good to hear, I havent had time to contact them direct so I have just been buying straws when needed (prob around 18 in 10 months! Still cheaper than smoking!!) but that is good to hear that they do that. As it is not one of my faves, rather one that I use due to necessity and design, I don't often go to their site, but ill start taking pics of my straws!!!!!

THC,

Raf007

Retailer
Wohww your straw consumption is impressive !!
In one year, nothing happened for me.
I've never use it for more than 45 min in a row though.

O&B also sent me free mouthpieces when I called them for the new metal one.

Never tried the LB, but I wish I could.

Raf007,

THC

Daft Vapour
Impressively depressing! 3 different units all the same fault all have had a number of different bowls not one plastic straw has ever lasted more than 2 mins with me being very very very careful; max session time 30 mins some times as I say my straws last 2 months or sometimes 2 a day! It sucks!(Excuse the pun!) Lol But I don't get it how others don't have the problem I have tried every conceivable variation possible to make with the straws i have tried taking them out, leaving them in, the only thing they defiantly will do eventually, is break so much so if like at the moment I have pretty much retired out my Io until they make an totally metal beginning segment to the straw and if i do use it (it does seem to get a few gasses missing in allot of non-jet flame powered portables) and obv jet flames = poss herb burn haven't tried the Titanium V Engine yet though it should be here mon if that performs like a jet with no burn then i am a happy chappy the vape is good on the LB just if you might have a few drinks it can be prone to oh-shit-I-broke-it-mate-ability (reason I am waiting for it to come back from repair good for walking etc especially if you can recharge a AA bat with solar as I have a unit that fits on the back of your jacket (6"x6") and a wire runs to a recharge so it charges as you walk if your out for a civilised day out with the batts in constant rotation, well, everything should work like that! But its far from a perfect world my friend as my straws keep reminding me!

THC,

Raf007

Retailer
lol I feel you there.
But it seems like you have the LB, so your safe.

Raf007,
Top Bottom