shotgunwilly

hippy, jb weld is showing it can withstand 600 degrees for 10 min... well above the temp of vaporization... and that isnt even their high temp stuff... i looked on wikipeda as you mentioned, but couldnt find what you were referring to... i just figured since im using such small amounts, literally less than a drop and smaller than a pea with the putty in addition to the fact that the putty is on the outside of the stem, that there isnt any real inhalation hazard associated with it... the only exposure of heat and glue is the hair line amount that may be along the fracture point inside... and that would be such a small amount, ...im sure is minimal... still, if it worries people, then i recommend just buying new stems on ebay... or more from the manufacture... it was just a suggestion of a temp fix that worked for me...i guess the advice was worth what they paid for it...lol...

shotgunwilly,

h2ogo777

having some issues with my iolite....when its heating up it works fine most of the time....but i would say 2-10 times it wooshes very inconsistantly like woosh woosh wssshhhhh woosh...ect. it usually has a long steady hiss. Im using vector butane, i also used colibri , i used a few fills of leucine... anyways im thinkin that the regulator or something is faulty? i also i feel like the butane runs out faster than 2 hours of use. any help or tips would be great

h2ogo777,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
h2ogo777 said:
having some issues with my iolite....when its heating up it works fine most of the time....but i would say 2-10 times it wooshes very inconsistantly like woosh woosh wssshhhhh woosh...ect. it usually has a long steady hiss. Im using vector butane, i also used colibri , i used a few fills of leucine... anyways im thinkin that the regulator or something is faulty? i also i feel like the butane runs out faster than 2 hours of use. any help or tips would be great
I own two, and neither one makes those noises. Does it make the noise after you hit it hard? Is it trying to re-attain temp, do you think?

I have never had a session or series of sessions that have lasted two hours without a refuel. I've never really timed it, but 45 minutes feels about right. Interesting. I'll time one of mine and report back.

Consider emailing the company to request advice.

macbill,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
ive gotten about an hour and 20 minutes or so of constant use before it ran out of gas... and by constant use I mean being passed around in a group of three people and loading bowls until it ran out of gas.
by myself though it has lasted almost two hours. With more people, more airflow through the unit so it cools more than it would using it by yourself, so the heating occurs more frequently.
ive also noticed when more than few people hit it in rapid succession the unit will make sputtering sounds as it tries too maintain the temp. (which has led me too no longer using my iolite in group sessions, its now for personal use only)

DevoTheStrange,

sundaddy

Mine does that stutter sometimes, no worries, it's usually when it's about to run out of fuel, thermostat is regulating, or a little air in the lines. You can fix the air thing by pumping the can when you refill, position can as usual on the valve, but instead of one big push, pulse it 4-5 times up and down 'til it overflows, always keeping the tip on the valve. It's a way to fill with no air in between. I know this because I used to have a clear lighter, and the only way I could fill it all the way with no air was to pump it like that, works great, try it.

sundaddy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Mine has done the stuttering also I seem to recall. Sundaddy, that's a good idea on the pumping.

I generally fill the butane after the third session.

willieR,

SleepingLion

Hey!

I have had my Iolite for a little over 3 months now, and because it has become my main ingestion method this thing gets used a bunch. I would say on average 8-12 bowls a day.

Lately it has been doing something weird, I am using Vector butane always, and I purge the gas before refilling. But lately it seems like the first cycle where it is on for about a minute is fine, but after that the red light is really dim, and comes on more often. The vaporizer still gets hot, and it works to an extent, but it isn't really producing visible vapor any longer and the bowls dont seem to vaporize well even after a long time.

I guess I could send it in, but I don't want to be without it. Has anyone had this problem? Should I send it back?

Thanks

And for clarification, I love this thing. I am in constant pain and smoking wears off quickly for me the Iolite makes it a pleasure to get out and make it to class

edit: lately it also has been not wanting to ignite, it takes like 10-15 clicks, and sometimes even when I turn it on and theres gas it wont start, I have to wait or shake it.

SleepingLion,

sundaddy

If you're still getting good effects I wouldn't worry too much. After the first 2 hits try giving it 2 warm up cycles between hits, and don't purge the tank so much (I've never purged mine), try my "pump" method described above. Sounds like you still have a lot of "warranty time" left to see how it goes.

sundaddy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Hmmm. Obviously there's a lot of variability in the vape based on how the bowl is packed also. But you'd know that by now from all the use.

Not sure on the temp change etc. It's a solid thermostat based on a bi-metal system, like a old. home thermostat. Should be solid, but who knows...

willieR,

sundaddy

Are you in high elevation? If not, could go back to the air in the line issue. Otherwise send that puppy back!

sundaddy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Air in line is about the only reason the thing won't lite. There's gas, and (assuming) there's a spark. Part of the beauty of this system is the simplicity inside. I was surprised at the operation when I cracked it open.

willieR,

sundaddy

Have you ever dropped it? I'm assuming the spark could be off by a millimeter and not "catching". May need to be realigned.

sundaddy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Hmmm. This is possible, actually. There is a connection from the clicker to the area of the blue flame. This is a loose connection as it is. Could have rocked out of position, I guess.

Also there is a grounding clip that contacts these metal areas to allow the spark to be created. Possible that is out also, but less likely.

All components are really snug in there.

willieR,

Io-LITEned

Hi everybody!

I ordered my Iolite from GotVape.com in mid-September. I had some ordering issues but received it promptly enough.

After opening it up, I got one night of great performance only to have gone through both mouthpieces- both melted internally and fell off with minimal stress (pictures attached).

I sent an email to Iolite customer support on 8/31 (I'd already read about all the similar experiences here on FC) and got my 3 replacement mouthpieces today (9/24) after a few short email exchanges.

Everything seems to be working well, it's a very effective vaporizer, and an all-around good product. It's a shame Iolite has had these manufacturing problems, and also that they've chose to handle it in the manner they have.

Now that I have a working unit though, I am satisfied, and since I've got the new mouthpiece design, I'll be sure to handle it gently.

(P.S. One of the replacement mouthpieces just melted off in the chamber, while I was writing this.)

Io-LITEned,

willieR

Been here since 2009
It doesn't actually melt, but yes, Ultem1000 is the stuff. It softens to the point where the stems basically fall off. Old lathed ones, new molded ones, really new molded ones, they all do this.

Iolite was very vocal a while ago that this mess was all due to improper lathed (turned) mouthpieces, but since that's clearly not the correct assessment, they (iolite) have been very quiet. We can only hope that they understand we are not carelessly snapping these off despite what their apparent inside studies show. There is no current permanent fix yet.

Having said this, I would buy one today if mine was lost. And I would have it shipped next day air. It is just way too portable, slim, discreet and effective.

willieR,

shotgunwilly

yes, it is the ultem that melts, evidently, there is a manufacture problem with a bunch of the stems... i have the stems that i bought on ebay that i believe were molded (also ultem i believe,) but they have held up fine... iolite better purge their stock of this bad crap because its really a deal breaker for a lot of folks.... sundaddy, good advice on the butane refill... i ve always filled mine that way...(i too had a clear lighter and found that mulitiple fills ...or pumps as you describe it, got rid of the air pocket)

shotgunwilly,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I agree Shotgun. They better move quickly. Bad press is out pacing good press. Given the obvious potential I really don't understand the delay in a competent solution from them.

willieR,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
willieR said:
There is no current permanent fix yet.

Having said this, I would buy one today if mine was lost. And I would have it shipped next day air. It is just way too portable, slim, discreet and effective.
I, too, find them indispensable. If you are willing to give the chamber a little surgery to remove the white, bi-sected spacer, you can attach some heat resistant silicone tubing to the metal chamber's stem portion, and push the tubing through from the bottom up through the chamber and seat the metal chamber as before in the plastic. See photos page 49 (I think). It works.

macbill,

305mia

guys i just got the new vector in and it fixed the problem my iolite will now turn from the blue to the red and is heating again woot the old butane i was using was ronson what a failure thx everyone

305mia,

shotgunwilly

sleeping lion... ok... mine has just started to do the same... im going to try it again and see but it started acting kinda weird earlier... it started as usual, but then when it cycled, the light was real dim... and it wasnt as hot... hmmmm, bummmer.... ive always used vector, so i dont think its a clogging issue.... and while im on the train of thought that might end up me sending this unit in, ive noticed quite a few people here with alternative vaporizers... what would you all recommend for a home back up? another iolite? i was looking at the purple days, or ssv... but, im open, jsut as long as its not a million dollars... (i cant afford a volcano...) thanks!

shotgunwilly,

NoSmoke

Go with either the Vriptech Heat Wand, Purple Days, or Extreme, even the SSV you won't be dissapointed with any of the listed, personally I would go with the PD first, its awesome :D

NoSmoke,
Top Bottom