ChuckRock

Hey SpiralArchitect,

My Unit never lights when i first switch it on.What i tend to do is switch it on, then wait 10 seconds until i hear the jet/butane release become faster.It makes intermittent spurt sounds ,then when i try to light it.I usually lights first time.

I was going to send my unit in until i discoverd this.

ChuckRock,

lime_joe

djelimon and willieR, I agree packing the chamber nice and loosely and taking really slow breaths help alot.

unfortunately, my other mouthpiece broke yesterday right at the base where the "x" is. in the meantime i guess i'll have to get some new mouthpieces.

willieR, i need to try your rubber hose suggestion next time!

lime_joe,

shotgunwilly

hey lime_joe, i bought replacement stems on ebay and havent had any further problems with them... but the factory will replace them if you contact them... jsut some people ended up getting crap stems... i would think they would have sorted it all out by now... but i dont know... i just know i bought some that were molded on ebay and they have worked good... in the mean time, when mine first broke, i was able to repair it with a little donut of epoxy around the shoulder of the stem/threads where it broke, i used the high temp epoxy... first i glued it with crazy glue just to hold it while the epoxy set up... it worked real well, and since the epoxy was on the outside, i dont believe there was any problem with any off gassing or anything... (epoxy is pretty inert once mixed and set as long as its not actually on fire...)but, just suggestion....

shotgunwilly,

reece

305mia said:
SpiralArchitect said:
Alright, so I've owned my Iolite for some time now.... I took it on vacation and used it extensively (vaped over 2 ounces out of the thing before a clean) for a few months.

I used nothing but refined butane, avoiding cheap crap with impurities (usually I'd use King, Colibri, Power 5x, or at the very least, Neon). The Iolite craps out on me and I can't get it to ignite no matter what.... I've purged the tank, refilled her and tried to no avail.

I still get the blue piezo ignition light, I just can't get it to catch. I had problems with it before, but I haven't gotten the Iolite to heat up in over a month now and I'm thinking the unit is toast despite my best efforts.

Any insight on what the problem might be or the best steps to take up with the Iolite company in getting my unit replaced ASAP? (A shame it will have to be shipped all the way to Ireland, according to our last correspondence).

Thanks.
dude sorry i already posted but im having the same problems except ive only had it 6 weeks
Hey guys, this happened to mine after about a month of use. I wasn't using great butane. I bought mine from gotvape.com and they replaced it with no problem. I only use Colibri and Vector in the new unit. It had to be sent to Ireland for repair because it seems to turn itself off and then back on again, requiring me to push the button again. I got it back in ten days. But it still does the off/on thing, just not as frequently as before.

Is it just me or has the Iolite guy not posted in a while?

reece,

305mia

so only 10 days turn around to get your unit back even with the fact that your sending the unit to ireland im tired of smoking bowls i dropped 250 on this thing and it works for 4 weeks im very dissapointed customer especially since there isnt a factory or repair center in the states...

i use ronson butane im pretty sure its good stuff right...????

Mod note: Posts merged. Please use the 'edit' button to add to your post.

305mia,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
SpiralArchitect said:
Alright, so I've owned my Iolite for some time now.... I took it on vacation and used it extensively (vaped over 2 ounces out of the thing before a clean) for a few months.

I used nothing but refined butane, avoiding cheap crap with impurities (usually I'd use King, Colibri, Power 5x, or at the very least, Neon). The Iolite craps out on me and I can't get it to ignite no matter what.... I've purged the tank, refilled her and tried to no avail.

I still get the blue piezo ignition light, I just can't get it to catch. I had problems with it before, but I haven't gotten the Iolite to heat up in over a month now and I'm thinking the unit is toast despite my best efforts.

Any insight on what the problem might be or the best steps to take up with the Iolite company in getting my unit replaced ASAP? (A shame it will have to be shipped all the way to Ireland, according to our last correspondence).

Thanks.
thats exactly what happened too my first iolite. Blue flame but never lights. I had too send my unit in. My current one is still going strong, however, I don't use this one like I did my first. first one I was using on a regular basis, several times a day, all the way up until it took a crap (was my main vape before I got my PD). my new iolite gets used whenever I want too vape when I am out and about for stealth. Oh, and I used Colibri in both units... only used Power 5x when i was trouble shooting the first one
makes me wonder if this thing doesn't like moderate too heavy use...
got mine from gotvape.com talked with CS, they asked if I did all the trouble shooting stuff, confirmed I did and none of them worked. Sent it back too them, got new one few days later.

DevoTheStrange,

rayski

305mia said:
i use ronson butane im pretty sure its good stuff right...????
Iolite does not recommend Ronson for North America. I use it occasionally without any problems. But, it's an inferior product that others have used with mixed results. Iolite recommends Vector, Colibri, Newport, Dunhill, Braun, and Power for North America.

rayski,

lime_joe

thanks for the tip shotgunwilly, i ended up heating up the unit and untwisting it with small scissors. i didn't think it would work with scissors but it did. i was wondering if those mouthpiece replacement parts on ebay were any good. i just ordered a set, hopefully they'll hold up better than the others.

lime_joe,

305mia

rayski u have a forum of people saying what kind of results they got using ronson? and what store do u reccomend cause i go to CVS all they have is ronson xD

305mia,

lime_joe

is there anything i can use in the meantime until my replacement mouthpieces arrive in the mail? thanks for any suggestions.

lime_joe,

rayski

305mia said:
rayski u have a forum of people saying what kind of results they got using ronson? and what store do u reccomend cause i go to CVS all they have is ronson xD
I can get a couple of the recommended brands at one of the local smoke shops. Gotvape sent Power butane with my Iinhale. They're on the list of fc recommended resellers, and they've giving me real good service.

rayski,

Jive Turkey

Hey guys - I registered just to ask...

I know a lot of you are going off on a tangent about getting the mouthpieces to work fine, but if you don't mind me derailing the thread for a bit - how would you rate the overall quality of the product, despite faulty pieces at times?

I'm looking to get one of these, purely because they're portable and discreet, and I love to vape. However, one of the big concerns I have with the Iolite is I'm not sure how well it hits. Would it be able to get a group of 2-3 users satisfied? We're not avid smokers, so our tolerances are pretty low, but if the Iolite is more designed for personal use I'll look elsewhere.

I don't see why it would be anything less than passing around a small pipe (which works fine), but you guys are the experts! Please enlighten me :p

Jive Turkey,

shotgunwilly

hey jive, yes, you could use it for a couple of people... just be aware that you have to hit the unit very slow and without any mods to it, a bowl was lasting around 15 minutes... my wife has used it a few times and doesnt smoke very often and was getting a buzz from 2-3 hits... aside from the stems and the few reported issues with using poor butane (im not saying thats always the answer, but seems to help) its a great unit... portable and inconspicuous, its has its idiosyncracies, but nothing a little creativeness cant fix... (ie. having a rubber band hold the bowl in so it doesnt fall out if you tip the unit upside down etc....) but the best portable vaporizer i have found... and i use it 2 -3 times a day... someone else with more experience with other vaporizers might have a better suggestion, but that said, i love my iolite and it rocks... i think you could do 2-3 people with a full, (loosely packed though,) bowl... and if you look over the last 10 -20 pages, you will see some good mods discussed that really improve the efficiency... if you do end up getting one, you can log on and ask and im sure most here that have done them would be more than happy to point you to the latest and greatest.... someone also had mentioned that someone on ebay was selling them for 169 including the shipping for the first gen one... thats a great deal and the first gen are just as good as the current.... anyway, hope this helps :)

shotgunwilly,

Jive Turkey

Thanks for the quick response!

Is there any collected list of good Iolite mods? I've been searching this thread and I'm not sure where to begin with modding my Iolite (if I get one).

Right now it's a toss-up between this and the Launchbox. I'm leaning towards the Iolite though - I'm not sure why...

Jive Turkey,

shotgunwilly

lime_joe, when mine initial stem broke, i glued it with a drop of super glue, after it set, i then made a small donut, (imagine a little roll about the thickness of a toothpick and about a half inch long) of high temp epoxy... i bought it in home depot, it comes in a "putty stick" in a tube, you pinch off a little, it has an inner core of the hardener, you knead it, then roll it out thin... like i said, i did a roll about the thickness of a toothpic, and wrapped it around the top shoulder of the threads (right were mine broke) and molded so it looked like part of the original... once it hardened, i carefully screwed it in and did not remove it... if i put it away i would only remove the top part and leave the bottom of the stem screwed in... it worked great until i got my replacement off of ebay... also, when you replacement comes, check to see if it has the X on it or not, the ones i got on ebay did not... and they worked great...if someone can tell me how to post pics, i will try to post the pics of the repaired stem... i repaired two, but one of them broke after two weeks or so, (on one of the stems, i didnt knead the epoxy good enough and it didnt harden to its maximum, then i got complacent and picked it up by the stem really quick...) the other one though held up great. anyway, hopes this helps :/

shotgunwilly,

shotgunwilly

hey jive,
no, i dont think anyone has listed all the different mods yet, but, if you are interested, a description of how i modded mine is on pg 47 #1156 and on that page you will see a couple of other mods i believe... also some good pics of a slightly different mod... if you end up getting an iolite, and you have questions about any of the mods, feel free to give me a yell, i ll try to help you the best i can... ive tried some of the various mods and have settled for now on this one and the nice thing is that it is completely reversible should you wish to change it back....

shotgunwilly,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Things have been really quiet from iolite. I really just don't think they know what the hell to do. All mouthpieces still soften and detach. All of them. They've made the decision to ship them anyway and just keep sending out free mouthpieces. I guess that's one way to deplete your inventory of improper mouthpieces.

willieR,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
willy - for what it's worth, a quick read of Wikipedia indicates that both super glue and high temp epoxy come apart -- and probably vaporize, imho -- at cannabis vape temps.

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
my pockets are always at my desk, so it hasn't been a problem for me.

i'm just waiting for the batteries ... butane is a much more compact energy source than lithium nano batteries.

Hippie Dickie,

MDBudz

Received email today from Ireland that my iolite has been repaired and shipped back. I mailed it to them on the 10th of September. No indication from them as to what they repaired (no vapor generated, I suspect thermostat set too low). Sure looking forward to receiving a unit that works.

MDBudz,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I wonder, MD. Please keep us posted. There's no "setting" on the thermostat. This is a single temp device.

willieR,
Top Bottom