shotgunwilly

highendvapes got it right, take it all out, clean the bowl well with qtips and alchohol, getting all the tar off, then put in the first retaining ring (the little round wire that holds the seven holed screen in...) carefully push it all the way down till it seats on the little engraved ledge...then put in the seven hole screen thing, make sure its down and seated against the ring... then put in the extra retaining ring (its in the accessory bag) to hold the screen down, then youre done... it only increases the "head space" by a fraction but it seemed like i was getting quite a bit more vapor density... hopefully its just not my head! lol....

shotgunwilly,

shotgunwilly

...although i think nosmoke modified it differently and is getting some good results as well...

shotgunwilly,

mempf

shotgunwilly said:
highendvapes got it right, take it all out, clean the bowl well with qtips and alchohol, getting all the tar off, then put in the first retaining ring (the little round wire that holds the seven holed screen in...) carefully push it all the way down till it seats on the little engraved ledge...then put in the seven hole screen thing, make sure its down and seated against the ring... then put in the extra retaining ring (its in the accessory bag) to hold the screen down, then youre done... it only increases the "head space" by a fraction but it seemed like i was getting quite a bit more vapor density... hopefully its just not my head! lol....
I tried this but I can't say for sure if it affected performance or not. One thing that does have me concerned though is by putting the screen closer to the heat pin you also put more pressure on that center hole. My screen seems curved inward to allow room for the heat pin but using this modification makes the pin push harder on the center. This is confirmed by the herb chamber not fully inserting into the iolite (it goes in enough to work perfectly though). Using this just makes me feel like a hole is sooner to show up in my screen. I guess I will wait to hear more peoples experiences with this.

mempf,

NoSmoke

Is the retaining ring not the ring with 7 holes and a hole in the middle? The ring where the screen sits in? And there are two supplied in the package correct? So if I'm understanding correctly you insert one ring, place the screen in and insert the other ring? Am I correct, cause that's the way I did it and it works great!

NoSmoke,

shotgunwilly

no nosmoke... the retaining ring i was referring to is the little wire "C" that hold down the 7 hole metal/screen piece... memph, i didnt really notice the heat pin pushing to the point of penetration on the screen, literally you are just lowering the screen down a micron of an inch with the extra retaining ring pushed all the way down... and i have the 7 hole screen with the big metal holes toward the pin so the pin would still have the center hole to go into before it hits the screen... (so the screen is toward the stem, with big holes toward the pin) but i didn't notice any change in the screen on the center hole, (no sign of it bending or hitting the screen) so i dont think its making contact...oh, i forgot to mention, i also removed the bottom screen in the herb chamber... the one with the hole in the middle for the pin... so, between those two modifications, one, or both seems to be giving me more vapor....

...again, it might be my imagination and the meds fucking with my head!... but that said, im leaving mine modified... "perception is reality"...lol

mod note: posts merged. please use the edit button to add to your post.

shotgunwilly,

NoSmoke

Well shit man I must of stumbled accross something good too, cause I love how its working and I'm not changing it LOL! This thing is finally making me choke! Thanks for clearing it up ShotgunWilly

NoSmoke,

ModuRaziel

i just got my iolite today, after smashing my old glass vapo, and i have a question

when i use it, it makes its hissing noise, the light comes on blue then goes orange, everything seems to work fine, but I dont really think im getting any hits from this thing. Im not really getting any taste from it (i think I know what it should taste like, I've been hitting vapos exclusively all summer, but I could be wrong), and the buzz i get is not very good at all. its very light and doesnt last too long. I'm really not sure what the problem is. I tried ShotgunWilly's mod, but it didnt make any difference. Tips?

ModuRaziel,

lord

ModuRaziel said:
i just got my iolite today, after smashing my old glass vapo, and i have a question

when i use it, it makes its hissing noise, the light comes on blue then goes orange, everything seems to work fine, but I dont really think im getting any hits from this thing. Im not really getting any taste from it (i think I know what it should taste like, I've been hitting vapos exclusively all summer, but I could be wrong), and the buzz i get is not very good at all. its very light and doesnt last too long. I'm really not sure what the problem is. I tried ShotgunWilly's mod, but it didnt make any difference. Tips?
The way I use it I get very big clouds. I recommend using dry and fine ground herbs. I pack the herb chamber very loose -- usually without packing it down at all. I then put the herb chamber on the unit turn it on and let it cycle twice for every hit.

lord,

ModuRaziel

lord said:
ModuRaziel said:

The way I use it I get very big clouds. I recommend using dry and fine ground herbs. I pack the herb chamber very loose -- usually without packing it down at all. I then put the herb chamber on the unit turn it on and let it cycle twice for every hit.
my herb is dry, i have removed the moisture condenser, i pack lightly, and i dont pack ultra-fine herb, but it is ground to a certain point. still nothing. from time to time i think i see a faint cloud of vapour, but still no really lasting feeling

ModuRaziel,

lord

Do you let the unit heat up first? It takes a couple minutes (1-3 minutes or so) then let the unit cycle about two times between hits.

lord,

ModuRaziel

lord said:
Do you let the unit heat up first? It takes a couple minutes (1-3 minutes or so) then let the unit cycle about two times between hits.
tried that too. still no clouds. maybe a little more baked now, but still not what id expect

ModuRaziel,

mempf

ModuRaziel said:
lord said:
tried that too. still no clouds. maybe a little more baked now, but still not what id expect
How hard are you hitting it?

Try to hit it as lightly as possible, hitting it harder does not result in better hits. Super long soft hits, and you should get some better results.

mempf,

UrDoinItWrong

Yeah, I've seen many people just try to hit it for 5 seconds and expect to get a hit.

Want clouds? 10-15 second slow, even, light draws. Trying to hit it fast and hard results in nothing but hot air and hot lips for me. But with the simple change in technique I get big clouds.

UrDoinItWrong,

ModuRaziel

I suck back the vapour at a medium intensity, but i do go for long draws. I learned from my previous vapo that thats the best way to get anything from it. Still I guess I'll give it another shot when I get home. It may just be that I need to break this baby in a little before it will work properly.

A side question: what does the herb look like when its been fully used up by the iolite? I know my old vape would actually turn the herb black and sometimes even into ash, but that was a metal hot-plate styled vapo. So far, the most I've seen from my iolite is it turns a little less green, a little more brown, and gets crispy.

ModuRaziel,

reece

ModuRaziel said:
I suck back the vapour at a medium intensity, but i do go for long draws. I learned from my previous vapo that thats the best way to get anything from it. Still I guess I'll give it another shot when I get home. It may just be that I need to break this baby in a little before it will work properly.

A side question: what does the herb look like when its been fully used up by the iolite? I know my old vape would actually turn the herb black and sometimes even into ash, but that was a metal hot-plate styled vapo. So far, the most I've seen from my iolite is it turns a little less green, a little more brown, and gets crispy.
It should get pretty brown. Is it going through its heating cycles after the initial heat up? Are you using high quality butane?

When I turn mine on, I wait until I can smell a little niceness. Then I hit it. You don't get much more than flavor at that point. I then wait for a couple of heating cycles and all is well. How full are you packing it. A full, loosely packed bowl gives thicker hits. But it is also a bit wasteful. I did have to get used to the thinner hits when lightly packing. It seems as if I'm not getting much but the effect is surely there. Good luck.

reece,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
ModuRaziel said:
I know my old vape would actually turn the herb black and sometimes even into ash, but that was a metal hot-plate styled vapo. So far, the most I've seen from my iolite is it turns a little less green, a little more brown, and gets crispy.
Black and ash means you are combusting. Vaped weed is normally light to dark brown. Maybe borderline black/brown if you were vaping at the highest temperatures with borderline combustion., but never ever ash.

Happycamper,

ModuRaziel

reece said:
ModuRaziel said:

It should get pretty brown. Is it going through its heating cycles after the initial heat up? Are you using high quality butane?

When I turn mine on, I wait until I can smell a little niceness. Then I hit it. You don't get much more than flavor at that point. I then wait for a couple of heating cycles and all is well. How full are you packing it. A full, loosely packed bowl gives thicker hits. But it is also a bit wasteful. I did have to get used to the thinner hits when lightly packing. It seems as if I'm not getting much but the effect is surely there. Good luck.
It is going through the heating cycles while its on, and goes for about 3 more after i switch it off. The butane i am using is the one whose name starts with an R (i cant remember what its called right now, but its been mentioned in this topic already).

also, when you say "smell a little niceness", what do you mean? i smell a bit of butane when it initially fires up and when it goes through its reheating cycles, but thats about it. And the flavour i get when i hit it is pretty much just the taste of hot air and plastic...

also, as to how full im packing it, id say just under the mid-way line, and loose.

ModuRaziel,

NoSmoke

I keep finding myself packing this thing just to see if im not just playing myself. :D I have to say Im pulling desktop size hits off this thing and im extremely loving it, its almost like I have a new vape! :cool:

NoSmoke,

max

Out to lunch
ModuRaziel said:
i smell a bit of butane when it initially fires up and when it goes through its reheating cycles, but thats about it. And the flavour i get when i hit it is pretty much just the taste of hot air and plastic...
I don't remember smelling butane once the unit is filled. And many times I've noticed a lot of flavor from the first hit. No plastic taste.

max,

ModuRaziel

max said:
ModuRaziel said:
i smell a bit of butane when it initially fires up and when it goes through its reheating cycles, but thats about it. And the flavour i get when i hit it is pretty much just the taste of hot air and plastic...
I don't remember smelling butane once the unit is filled. And many times I've noticed a lot of flavor from the first hit. No plastic taste.
i could be wrong about the plastic taste, but i definately dont get any noticeable herb/vapour flavour. and the smell of butane is very faint. it could just be a result of me having overfilled the tank and a little ran out. it fades away quickly too, so its not a big deal

ModuRaziel,

max

Out to lunch
Noses do vary, but it's strange you've smelled butane but no flavor. Are you waiting a couple of minutes before your first hit?

max,

ModuRaziel

max said:
Noses do vary, but it's strange you've smelled butane but no flavor. Are you waiting a couple of minutes before your first hit?
i tried hitting it right after the initial heat-up cycle, and tried hitting it after two re-heat cycles. not a noticible difference either time

ModuRaziel,

shotgunwilly

i ground my smoke as fine as i can, loosely pack the bowl full, put it together and let it do 1 or two cycles and then start drawing slowly on it... if you hit it hard i think the herb sucks up and will somewhat block the screen, i found that after about 5 min or so is when im getting the biggest hits... and a bowl can last upwards to 20 minutes where im still getting some type vapor... other than that, i dont know what to suggest...

shotgunwilly,

max

Out to lunch
You need to give it at least 90 seconds after turn on, which in my experience is longer than the initial heat up 'hissing time'. And if you wait too long for your first hit, you may be too late for the 'flavor taste'. Experiment a little and see if you can get that first 'tasty hit'. I was kind of surprised that I was getting so much first hit taste out of this vape.

max,
Top Bottom