foglights

guys i think this 4:20 poster might just be trolling, at the very least it sounds like he has an axe to grind.

he's referred to the unit as 'iolate' in every post. if he can't even get that right, i'm a little doubtful of his 'tests'

someone mentioned that now they were scared to use the unit in the car. well if you're that paranoid, here's a crazy idea: open a window.

probably not a bad idea anyway, you did know that car interiors, carpets and almost any manufactured product emit small amounts of things like formaldehyde right?

have you ever been outside around cars, or used a lawn mower? ever used a lighter, lit a candle or bbq'd dinner? ever *gasp* smoked a joint? unless you live in a bubble you're exposed to worse shit every day. better start running some tests, sounds unacceptable to me!

perspective is a wonderful thing. some people would nerf the world. :rolleyes:

foglights,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I feel confident that the emissions of the IoL (if any) are likely to be minute in comparison to other appliances, and can also envision this topic dragging on and on while not forging any progress.

However, I am interested in anyone who can get a detector with an intake or a hand-held that can be put in a shoebox with the unit to test for CO (ESPECIALLY THE AWESOME PEOPLE AT IOLITE) :).

I, myself, have spoken to a friend who has a Bacharach CO detector that detects as little as 1ppm, and is calibrated and regularly used for research. I plan on bringing an Iolite for him to test :tup: (and use, of course--may not happen for some time though due to proximity :rolleyes:).

I admit I have immensely thick foil on my paranoid head, and (therefore) am greatly interested in seeing results from CO tests. However, that being said, I use the IoL daily without any major worries (just curiosity at this point), despite my foilish paranoias.

I hope that information keeps flowing in, and that this does not continue to be a discussion of speculation and innuiendo with one data source, drowning all of the fantastic things about the IoL (and I appreciate the mods taking action to see that such nonsense does not happen ;)).

edit: I agree, foglights, that much of what 4:20 says does come off like trolling (i.e. Iolate, etc.) So...LET'S PROVE HIM WRONG!

Progress,

rukus13

Roll your eyes all you want foglights for some people ignorance is bliss. For the rest of us we like to make informed decisions. I know I can crack a window if I want to but do I have to? It gets kind of hot around these parts and I'd rather not. I digress though I never said I was terrified just concerned over long term exposure. All of those things you mentioned like mowing the lawn etc are done once in a while not several times a day. Either way I'm fine with getting back on topic until someone comes up with something concrete either way. I just play it safe and don't hit it while it's heating crack the window etc... It's more about peace of mind than fear.

rukus13,

HiC

Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm really "worried" about the potential CO issue at this point. I'll still be using the Iolite as my primary vape until I get my PD (fingers crossed). Over the long term, though, it's something I definitely want cleared up just to keep any paranoid thoughts from popping up in my head.

I do have one question to ask, however, that's not really a concern, just something a little weird. Since I started vaping regularly with my Iolite, I've noticed that my voice seems a tad... I dunno, "thicker" than usual. Not hoarse or raspy, just thicker and more resonant, I guess. I assume this is a reaction to the hot vapor passing over my vocal chords. I only use the short mouthpiece w/o tubing and I'm not really bothered by the heat, but this voice thing is a little weird. Has anyone else experienced it?

HiC,

4:20

Hi,
I don t have anything to gain after all. Progress, if you can test the unit, that would be best.
Max, about the final test, well, just need to operate the Iolate in a controlled environment and weight the exhaust vapors as it s been done for the combustion of tobacco and other.
I read a post about the Launch tube where Tom (PD) was shocked about a few words used by the manufacturer, words like `natural`. And I find it outrageous that the Iolate team just blackout in the manual and advertising the fact that the Iolate releases some CO. There is pollution everywhere that we are aware of, we still use cars and chemicals but at least we know. With the iolate, we are informed that it is safe as water...even car makers are obliged to inform us about the CO emissions in detail.

Notice that since the beginning I am asking you guys to test it yourself to compare datas. I didn t release any video because that is not enough informative as I cannot quantify it in mg per x time of use and if you guys see that the detector shows numbers like 200ppm and most other vaporizers 0 you might freak out and think it emits a ton of CO per hour which not the case.
If I was `against` that company, I would simply post a video with the CO detector next to it, then next to a crowded highway, then next to another vaporizer without any text. The numbers showed by the CO detector will freak everybody out and create a big panic :uhoh: .
It is not me against anyone, to prove this , I am going away from this topic a few weeks and let you guys find a CO detector and check it by yourselves.

In theory, we learnt that vaporizing at temp over 200c releases some CO, but if you do compare yourself the exhaust of the Iolite with any other -even bad vaporizer- you will understand that there is a shocking difference.
Talk to you again in a few weeks. I will not post in the Iolite forum for a while.

4:20,

spikyvape

I had a i-inhale some time ago, the best test for me is to run the unit without anything in it.

I tasted butane or something.

Never used it again.....

How is this with the new units ? anybody tried it without anything in it ?

spikyvape,

max

Out to lunch
spikyvape said:
I had a i-inhale some time ago, the best test for me is to run the unit without anything in it.

Never used it again.....

I'd have been shocked if you liked the iolite spikyvape. To put your opinion in perspective, your issues with vape materials are well documented.
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=113

And to quote you from another thread- "I am a paranoid vaporizer user so some things give me some trust in a company." http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=339

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
rukus13 said:
Tin foil hats? With all due respect what is the problem with wanting to know what we are inhaling is safe. I thinks it pretty wack you don't want this discussed on the boards. What is the point of having an open discussion if you only want to hear people nut hugging the manufacturers.
For me, the issue is not the discussion, but rather the tone and intent. This thread took a serious hard left a while back thanks to tradhead and none of us want to see that fiasco again. So when 4:20 came in here and posted his issue repeatedly, I for one was quick to make sure it was being contained and civil. I would like to thank 4:20 for, as requested, dropping the issue until the II team came here to address it. He showed a lot of patience, as it took II a long time to show up. In the end, 4:20 was not satisfied with the response and would like more clarification. Hopefully it won't take as long this time around to hear from II.

In my opinion, the II vaporizer kicks ass. It is my favorite portable and is currently being used as my main vaporizer. That being said, I would have to warn any potential buyers that the company is not in the Arizer class of customer service. If you get a defective unit, I'm not sure how long it would take to get the issue resolved. To their credit, they are one of only three manufacturers that even show up here to answer questions. New buyers should also be aware of the possibility of a CO issue and make their decision accordingly.

stickstones,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
spikyvape said:

Never used it again.....

I have never run any vaporizer without anything in it...never occurred to me. With my herb in it I taste nothing out of the ordinary.

stickstones,

rukus13

stickstones said:
rukus13 said:
Tin foil hats? With all due respect what is the problem with wanting to know what we are inhaling is safe. I thinks it pretty wack you don't want this discussed on the boards. What is the point of having an open discussion if you only want to hear people nut hugging the manufacturers.
For me, the issue is not the discussion, but rather the tone and intent. This thread took a serious hard left a while back thanks to tradhead and none of us want to see that fiasco again. So when 4:20 came in here and posted his issue repeatedly, I for one was quick to make sure it was being contained and civil. I would like to thank 4:20 for, as requested, dropping the issue until the II team came here to address it. He showed a lot of patience, as it took II a long time to show up. In the end, 4:20 was not satisfied with the response and would like more clarification. Hopefully it won't take as long this time around to hear from II.

In my opinion, the II vaporizer kicks ass. It is my favorite portable and is currently being used as my main vaporizer. That being said, I would have to warn any potential buyers that the company is not in the Arizer class of customer service. If you get a defective unit, I'm not sure how long it would take to get the issue resolved. To their credit, they are one of only three manufacturers that even show up here to answer questions. New buyers should also be aware of the possibility of a CO issue and make their decision accordingly.
Fair enough thanks for the clarification and well said. I agree with you. It is my second favorite despite my issues which I won't rehash again in the interest of not boring everyone else.

Back on topic is it fine to give the stem and screen portion a good alcohol soak. I figure its okay but wanted to make sure before I ruin something as its getting kind of nasty.

rukus13,

max

Out to lunch
stickstones said:
spikyvape said:

Never used it again.....

I have never run any vaporizer without anything in it...never occurred to me. With my herb in it I taste nothing out of the ordinary.
Didn't occur to me either, but I just tried it and tasted nothing. Of course I'll allow for a difference in taste buds. I do know, from filling the iolite as well as lighters, that I can smell butane. And I've never smelled any while using the iolite. I'm sure a leak is possible, but I think a properly operating unit would process the butane effectively just as a lighter does.

max,

spikyvape

Strange that you guys never try a vaporizer without something.

In my opinion this is the best way to check the purity from the vapor path.

:2c:

spikyvape,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
i've actually tested my iolite without anything in the chamber on several times whenever I clean the thing too make sure my pathway is nice and clean... the only time I have ever tasted butane is when I have been overzealous about filling it up and spray the fuel on part of the outside of the unit... but even then it is only a small taste that goes away and does not come back, most likely due too excess butane sticking too the outside of the unit that is evaporating... (and i think is is due too me being a dipstick and being high and not waiting for the butane too evaporate before I click it on... really need too wait but I don't do this often so it is something too turn into a force of habit)

DevoTheStrange,
i travelled with mine recently in my checked luggage not my carry on and had no problems. Flying out i cleaned it thoroughly w iso and drained all fuel, flying back i was hitting on the unit about 5 minutes before check in, drained th fuel, stuffed it in my most putrid socks clicked th locks on my case and was good to go.

thevapedcrusader,

DeTerminator

-Hi FC forum,

I recently acquired the I-inhale vaporizer, and it has been operating well.

However, apparently the threads on the center pin stripped the threads on the unit. How important is the center pin, anyway? I have already removed the screen. Can I operate it without that center pin?

Thanks in advance!

Kerry-

DeTerminator,

Ben

Hi kerry,

I think that this pin is also the heating part of the unit...so my anwer is : "according to me : No"

Ben,

DeTerminator

Hi Ben,

It looks like the unit operates just fine without the center pin. Maybe the pin just distributes the heat better in the chamber, having a greater surface area to vaporize the material. Stirring might better allow more compete vaporization, lacking the center pin element. Too bad it had to strip the threads, as I didn't have it that long, and didn't perform numerous disassembly attempts.

Thanks for your post!:)

Kerry

DeTerminator,

CalBears24

DeTerminator said:
-Hi FC forum,

I recently acquired the I-inhale vaporizer, and it has been operating well.

However, apparently the threads on the center pin stripped the threads on the unit. How important is the center pin, anyway? I have already removed the screen. Can I operate it without that center pin?

Thanks in advance!

Kerry-
Oh no! :o I'm terribly sorry to hear that! How did it happen, and do you have any advice for us on how to avoid it from happening?

To answer your question, I believe you can still operate it. as the heat comes from below the chamber. However, without the heating pin, The heat will not be evenly distributed to all the herbs throughout the bowl, as the lower portion will receive more direct heating. Therefore, you may need to mix it up every so often while in use.

Anybody, feel free to correct me; this is only based on my observations.

CalBears24,

DeTerminator

Hi CalBears 24,

Thanks for your reply!

Not sure how to advise you on avoiding stripping the threads . Just be super carefull, I guess. I thought I was. Anyone else have this happen?

However, I haven't noticed any difference in performance, seriously. Possibly stirring would help, hard to say, to vaporize the material, but haven't noticed any problems. I left the center pin out.

Thanks,

Kerry

DeTerminator,

wh00kah

Hey gang,

First time on the boards and first time vaping (well want to start vaping anyway)!

I ordered my iolite from dieselvapors, but the thing was faulty :(

I filled the unit with gas, let sit, turned to "1", hear and smell gas flowing, click piezo, nothing. Tried clicking piezo again, nothing. Tried clicking like crazy (could see the blue spark in the glow hole going but nothing lit). Tried different Butane (first Ronson, then Xikar), making sure to let the other butane flow out before refilling with the other. Nothing doing. The thing would never glow orange, and I never heard the "roar". Just an empty hiss and smell of butane.

Called the dieselvapors crew, they suggested some things to try, didn't work, so they're willing to cross-ship with a replacement (they said they'd even test it for functionality before they shipped it)! I just popped it in the mail last night and sent my tracking to them. Hoping to hear from them soon.

Will have to combust until I get the replacement though :uhoh:

That said, the iolites look fantastic! And, a lot bigger than I expected (for some reason I was thinking it was some small thing). Note to new users, no more "i-inhale" branding anywhere on the unit or the packaging, and BONUS: no marking at ALL on the zipper pouch carrying case! Just a standard black padded pouch. So, when I get the new unit, it will be stealth vaping time :brow:

wh00kah,

wh00kah

thanks stickstones. When I got it out of the package, I was sure I was on my way to vaping goodness, but hey, I understand that products aren't always 100% perfection off the factory floor.

Here's hoping the replacement comes through before next weekend :cool:

wh00kah,
Top Bottom