p0p01617

I got my iolite a month ago and it was working great until last week when it stopped igniting. I had been using Ronson butane which i found out is crap so i bought some good vector butane but it still wont ignite. When i turn it one i can hear the butane flowing and i can see the little spark when i click it but it just never catches and heats up. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how i can fix it? Also, i bought it on ebay so i dont think i can send it in under warranty... Thanks alot

Modnote: Merged, please search before posting.

p0p01617,

VapeHead.com

Retailer
First time I used poor quality butane it was only burning for about 30 seconds - it was obvious from the start it wasn't happy. After a flush it took about 5-6 heating cycles for it to come good again - felt like it was burning off the residue from the previous brand.

If you've been using it for ages without obvious problems until now, I'm not sure what to suggest other than letting it do its thing and hopefully it'll clear itself out. If not, and you had no problems using that butane for more than a month (!) then I can't think that it was causing any problems and I would email O&B for advice and a warranty claim.

VapeHead.com,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Some troubleshooting tips from the mfgr:

Iolite Troubleshoot:

Unfortunately as the iolite is a butane device it will have problems with the cold.

If the temperature is close to or below freezing (as it is now) the iolite will need to be warmed to room/body temperature before ignition. However when hot and running it will function correctly.

I realise you have vented/refilled the iolite already, however, here are our up to date instructions for this process which may differ from yours.

Please follow the following troubleshooting below to vent and refill the iolite.

Also please use a new can of butane for this procedure. (Please note this may need to be done at least twice)

1. Please make sure to read the warning on the back of your can of butane before proceeding with the following instructions.

2. Move to a well ventilated area, outside is best.

3. Make sure the unit is off. Turn the unit upside down and point away from your body. Make sure your face is not in the path of the released gas.

4. Using the small end of the handtool (if you have the newer hand tool it will be too large to use, in this case use the lid of a biro or something that will fit but not damage the valve), depress the gas valve and let all the gas dispel ensuring to keep hands clear of liquid gas spraying from the valve, this may take up to or more than 1 minute, it will be empty when you can no longer hear a hiss.

5. Please do not use a nearly empty can of butane fuel as this may cause problems with the functioning of the iolite.

6. Hold the iolite in one hand with the gas valve at the top.

7. With your other hand hold the butane can upside down.

8. Position the butane can at an angle and offer it to the filling valve then move the can perpendicular to the filling valve ensuring a good seal.

9. Press down gently but firmly (excessive spray back is a sign that either the butane can has not created a proper seal or the gas tank may already be full).

10. When the iolite is full, there will be visible spray back of fuel from the valve.

11. Leave the iolite to stand for at least 5 minutes (always do this after refuelling).

12. Turn the iolite on. Don't try to ignite it.

13. Leave it to run for about 15 minutes.

14. Repeat the above steps.

15. Press the igniter in a firm and sharp manner (you may need to do this up to 3 times for ignition to occur).

16. The red glow may not appear for a few seconds after ignition.

Below are some usage/refilling tips.

The following are tips for using the iolite:

1. Grind your herb relatively fine.

2. Loosely pack the bowl to 3 quarters full, if you pack it too tight this will impede the function of the iolite as there will be less air flow and the heat will not circulate as well.

3. Turn the iolite on and wait for the initial cycle to complete, around 45 seconds to a minute, the red light will disappear.

4. You may now inhale from the iolite, if you want a larger initial hit then leave the iolite to 'cook' the herb for a further minute or 2.

5. To inhale properly; This is not like a cigarette, the vapour must be drawn directly into the lungs, also sucking hard and quick on the mouthpiece will not work correctly, a gentle approach is required to gain the best from the iolite. Take a long, slow, gentle inhale straight into the lung, try not to suck in any air apart from through the mouthpiece, then hold it for a comfortable period of time, exhale and draw on the iolite again until the herb is depleted.

6. The herb is depleted when it turns to a toasty brown colour throughout, some people also say it tastes like 'burnt popcorn'. This is a case of gaining experience and over time you will be able to judge correctly when the herb is depleted.

To refill the iolite with fuel properly:

1. Hold the iolite in one hand with the gas valve at the top.

2. With your other hand hold the butane can upside down.

3. Position the butane can at an angle and offer it to the filling valve then move the can perpendicular to the filling valve ensuring a good seal.

4. Press down gently but firmly (excessive spray back is a sign that either the butane can has not created a proper seal or the gas tank may already be full).

5. When the iolite is full, there will be visible spray back of fuel from the valve.

6. Leave the iolite to stand for at least 5 minutes (always do this after refuelling).

7. Turn the iolite on, the switch should be at 1.

8. Press the igniter in a firm and sharp manner (you may need to do this up to 3 times for ignition to occur).

9. The red glow may not appear for a few seconds after ignition.

Lo,

CrazEkid362

hey does anyone know if its possible for vapor to escape from the stem whiles its heating up? i feel llike ur supposed to keep your finger over the stem whiles its heating as to not let any vapor escape but i dont know if thats necessary? does vapor sink or float upwards.

CrazEkid362,

max

Out to lunch
Yes it's possible for vapor to leak out of the mouthpiece, but it would be such a small amount it's not worth worrying about. The act of pulling the heated air through the bowl is what creates vapor. When you're not hitting the vape, very little vapor is produced. Plugging the stem to save vapor would be like trying to improve your gas mileage around town by rolling up your car windows.

max,

Wojtek

I'm looking into getting the iolite but I'd have a question about the butane inside.
I'm not a heavy user, just on occasions.
Can the butane sit in there? Or do I have to bleed it out for prolonged non-usage durations.

Thanks

Wojtek,

maxj90

I've been loving my Iolite for a few months now. I use Vector high quality butane. I go to try to use it today and it's completely silent. No hissing at all. I try refilling it, still nothing. I try leaving it on for hours and then refilling it. Still nothing. Has anyone else here had similar problems? Is my unit just completely busted?

maxj90,

Theo

maxj90 said:
I've been loving my Iolite for a few months now. I use Vector high quality butane. I go to try to use it today and it's completely silent. No hissing at all. I try refilling it, still nothing. I try leaving it on for hours and then refilling it. Still nothing. Has anyone else here had similar problems? Is my unit just completely busted?

Some problem happened with mine when I got it. I had it for about 2months and I was using it heavily. I bought it off ebay and it turned out to be 3rd hand so I wasn't that surprised that it crapped out eventually and I was the unlucky one. Believe the problem is with the heating element but I'm not too sure. I think I remember reading a thread somewhere here talking about how to replace it yourself.

Theo,

VapeHead.com

Retailer
When you say no hissing, do you mean the valve isn't letting out butane when switched to 1, or do you mean it's not starting a heating cycle (intermittant hissing with the red glow in the exhaust)?

If no butane is coming out (before you ignite it) sounds like a warranty claim...

VapeHead.com,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Go to the iolite website and look at the trouble shooting section. Do everything it says on the list. If it does not fix it, shoot iolite an email and see if they can help you. more than likely you will have to use the warranty and get yourself a new unit if none of the troubleshooting list works

DevoTheStrange,

CrazEkid362

okay so i was just using my iolite and during the initial heat up phase i saw like legit vapor or fumes or something coming out of the exhaust. is this normal? also i have been noticing my iolite does smell like butane when it heats up. do u think my unit is defective and releasing butane fumes?

CrazEkid362,

IIDXBoss

Hey guys, I just got my iolite and it seems quite neat so far, but I have some questions. I can't read through all 114 pages so hopefully you can just answer them quickly :D

I turn it on and it makes that fairly loud hissing noise. This is normal? People say it could be used in a theatre no problem but if it made that sound during a quiet part it would be pretty easy to hear.

It also kept doing this even after I flipped it back to 0. Is it supposed to keep loading butane even after I turn it off?

The unit also gets pretty hot to the touch, is that normal?

I guess I just hear about how portable it is and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable stashing it in my pocket if it was making that butane noise and was still really hot...

Thanks for the help.

IIDXBoss,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
IIDXBoss, everything you just listed is normal. When you turn the unit off it will continue on with a few extra heat cycles. This gets rid of any gas between the shut off valve and where the reaction takes place.

DevoTheStrange,

elixsor

Just recently sent in my original series unit in for a warranty replacement. I was amazed today when I received my replacement only 10 days after mailing as I wasn't expecting it until the middle of next week.

My replacement was the new version with the updated bowl area without the removable pin etc. and I was just wondering if there is a noticeable performance difference between the two styles...

(Can't test it out quite yet because of some house guests) :(

Anyways big ups to Iolite on the awesome service and awesome product!

elixsor,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
The biggest difference I notice with the newer design is.... it is MUCH easier to clean the bottom of the chamber. Also at some point the herb chambers were changed a bit to now snap on a bit better in my opinion. I still use all of mine in rotation but the older version is the biggest pain to clean, even with the pin removed the new versions are much easier to clean.

Congrats on your replacement! Hope those houseguests depart soon ;)

Lo,

elixsor

Lo said:
The biggest difference I notice with the newer design is.... it is MUCH easier to clean the bottom of the chamber. Also at some point the herb chambers were changed a bit to now snap on a bit better in my opinion. I still use all of mine in rotation but the older version is the biggest pain to clean, even with the pin removed the new versions are much easier to clean.

Congrats on your replacement! Hope those houseguests depart soon ;)

Yes luckily they left yesterday afternoon so I could test it out!

It seems like the bowl section is so much better then the old version, the other things I notices was the bowl seemed to be slightly deeper? or perhaps the pin is just slightly smaller? I feel like I have been filling it significantly less then I was before...

Also it seems the heating is a slightly different rhythm then the older unit. With this new one there is generally one long burst at the very beginning but then the following bursts are much shorter then on my old unit. It seems as if it is heating up faster just in shorter bursts.

It is a definite improvement!

elixsor,

dogslayeggs

So, I have had my iolite "which I love" but it stopped working a few days ago... I have filled it and vented it multiple times, and now it wont even hiss when switching to 1. I am using a brand new can of vector, I fill, vent, then shake the iolite, vent again and repeat until no more flow occurs. Im super frustrated. It was a gift and iolite wont do anything cause I dont have the receipt.
If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

dogslayeggs,

elixsor

dogslayeggs said:
So, I have had my iolite "which I love" but it stopped working a few days ago... I have filled it and vented it multiple times, and now it wont even hiss when switching to 1. I am using a brand new can of vector, I fill, vent, then shake the iolite, vent again and repeat until no more flow occurs. Im super frustrated. It was a gift and iolite wont do anything cause I dont have the receipt.

Can you find out where the item was purchased? I had misplaced my original receipt but Iolite said if I got a replacement one from the store or that they would be willing to at least verify the purchase that would be sufficient. Maybe if you can call the store and see if they would agree to vouch for your or something?

Sucks though that they haven't had any other options for you...

elixsor,

dogslayeggs

elixsor said:
dogslayeggs said:

Can you find out where the item was purchased? I had misplaced my original receipt but Iolite said if I got a replacement one from the store or that they would be willing to at least verify the purchase that would be sufficient. Maybe if you can call the store and see if they would agree to vouch for your or something?

Sucks though that they haven't had any other options for you...

yeah, it was through vaporizerusa.com... which is not an authorized dealer...
so im SOL with the warranty.

dogslayeggs,

Ducat

If your iolite wont even hiss then its not being filled. some cans of gas need a lot of pressure to work. I live in England and use Ronson. I discovered that if you dont push the can down FIRMLY then all the can does is empty all your gas from the chamber!! try using a bit more down force than usual, it works for me. Hope this helps.

Ducat,

Chronicdoom

HigH people a newbie hear to the site and to iolite. I just purchased a black iolite over the phone from gotvape.com. I also ordered the iolite optimizer for my iolite. Apparently gotvape just got these in a couple days ago. It cost $20 and the woman said it gives a fuller richer vapor or something to that effect. Anyone hear use the optimizer with their iolite? Hopefully I didn't waste my $20 on something I didn't need. Actually I seen optimizer and figured it would be beneficial. I also got the comfort care package for free with my iolite. My total cost for all is $220. I can't wait to try this bad boy out with some quality medicine! My first medicine grow should be ready In a few weeks also. What a great time of year! I'm looking forward to know more smoke or using my pipe! Hopefully I will lose my stoner cough after awhile! Anyway just thought I would post about my excitement and the purchase of my new toy! I love this forum and thread lots of great info hear! I'll definitely be stopping by frequently! Thanks!

Chronicdoom,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
from the looks of it, I am guess you slid it down the pin inside the bowl... giving you essentially four pins pointing straight up. It looks like it would work, More surface area of hot metal in contact with herb. Could also mean less herb with better results.
optimizer-bl-004.jpg

DevoTheStrange,

greystr0ke

Wow. This is very interesting. I'm about due for some new screens and mouthpieces and may need to pick this up as well.

greystr0ke,

UrDoinItWrong

Just FYI, I dont care what Vector claims about how refined it is...it is FILTHY FILTHY shit butane that doesnt work well in the Iolite. Same With "Lotus" and a few other "premium" butanes. I've found that "King" brand works the best always, makes my Iolite run perfectly every time.

UrDoinItWrong,
Top Bottom