max

Out to lunch
After I fill it with butane, it takes me 5-6 pushes of the button after I set the dial to "1" for it to actually ignite.
The process of filling with butane can make the unit cold, so you shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come on right away, especially if you have overflow of butane. If you're having trouble after a few minutes of waiting, that's different.

max,

elmo1982

Who : A pothead who bought an ioLite vaporiser for a month

Time : When I'm hella baked

What : I grinded appx 0.3g of buds each time, obvious it's pretty PACKED and occasionally I even mixed up with some brown hash. I don't know what type of stuff you guys have, but mines are mostly Purple Kush, Jack Herer or Orangic Jamican Sugar. Although it takes a longer while to really get it going, however, I swear that that thing can last me no less than 50mins to 55mins. I usually refill before run it all on one bowl.

My bowl is powder-like but packed-nicely (no stem), and I usually wipe the oil from the screw and the surrounds of the lower tube every last round of the night right after the last toke, because it's easier when it's hot, i used a metal-pin to wipe the oil then lace on a rollie! And that rollie is almosted filled

Yes, it's hot! Yes, i can smell some butane while it's heating up! Yes, the mouthpiece are so FRAGILE and PLASTIC! Overall, regardless, I still think this thing help me alot, health-wise; i can feel the difference when i play bkball or swimming. So I can say I recommend this to all the potheads, because no matter how much we love 420, health matters the most when it comes down to the line!

PS : This is GOOD stuff (but can be BETTER)

elmo1982,

Randall2010

Ciarn@O&B said:
indigal said:
First- If this is an excerpt, where is the policy above posted? I cannot locate it on your webpage, nor anyplace on the internet for that matter. Please direct me to where customers may find this info.
This is an excerpt from our trading agreement with our distributors. We are updating some pages on our website in three weeks and more details of this nature will be posted up there.

indigal said:
Second- why not add a list of authorized resellers (all resellers online and shop) to your website instead of asking customers to vet a purchase with you first? That seems terribly customer-unfriendly.
We do not publicize a list of authorised resellers as it is commercially sensitive information. I am sure you can understand that. However if someone wants to purchase an iolite out of a brick and mortar store, it will be guaranteed warranty service. We say to anyone its "buyer beware" if anyone wants to buy an iolite on ebay or any other online marketplace. We have informed ebay and Amazon directly of this also. We get many emails daily from people looking to buy online but dont know which the best seller to buy from is. We tell them not to buy off of ebay, Amazon, ioffer or any other online marketplace and look out for the iolite authorised dealer logo with dealer code. Anyone can also email us with a dealer code to make sure that dealer code is valid with that seller.

indigal said:
Third- Based on how many sellers there are just on Ebay alone selling your product- are you experiencing a lot of diversion (theft) of your product?
Many sellers are moving large amounts of your Iolites on Ebay (all are quoting your warranty in their auctions.) If they are getting your product from an O&B authorized reseller, then the warranty should be honoured through the authorized reseller to them (the Ebay seller/store) so that they in turn can get the product repaired for their (& Your customer.) To deny even this, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.
We have informed all of our distributors that they are not authorised to sell to ebay sellers unless that ebay seller is authorised directly from Oglesby and Butler. All iolite resellers are aware of this and some still chose to sell online. Many of these resellers are very shady characters and go to extreme lengths to buy iolite's off of our distributors. As a result it can be hard to track these people down and cut them off but we do cut them off straight away as soon as we have more information on them. Any distributor found to be selling to ebay sellers is cut off too. Also as you have noticed many ebay sellers will also state that the iolite comes with a warranty even though they know otherwise. Many of these ebay sellers have no problems deceiving their customers.

indigal said:
Fourth- based on this: NO internet reseller is authorised to sell on eBay, Amazon, ioffer or any other online marketplace unless explicitly authorized directly by Oglesby and Butler Ltd.
Are you saying there is a now a two-tier reseller level or a stipulation for your established online dealers that they cannot sell on auction sites without getting your permission? Are all your distributors/resellers aware of this policy change? I did catch the "should be are aware of this" in the quote above.
This is correct.

indigal said:
If you are going to continue down this road, you really should consider putting a banner or notice on your website to your potential customers regarding the authorized dealer stipulation. There is but one mention regarding this warranty voiding issue (#10 on the list of what's not covered on your warranty pdf: http://www.my-iolite.com/downloads/warrantycard-rev1-2010.pdf )

I can't see where this is mentioned anyplace else. :/
As stated above we will be putting more information on our website to warn people of this.
From today our company will be shut down for the annual summer holidays and I will be out of the office for the next two weeks and will have no form of communication so I will not be able to respond but I will as soon as I get back. Our customer service centre in the United states will be open however.
I am really curious to learn why eBay, ioffer or Amazon sellers are not authorized? As far as I understand, they are buying from somebody who is authorized and selling on these websites. What is wrong with that? Unless they violate patent rights or reverse engineer the product or do any other illegal activity, isn't this a win win situation for everybody?

Randall2010,

misanthrope

Greetings Everyone:peace:, I'm a noob here, but having lurked here to find information and being a new iolite owner, thought I should add my :2c: about this vap.

The thing comes in a nice box with lovely presentation. I am in the UK using Swan super clean butane which seems to be working fine.

Let me start by saying that in the past I've been very disappointed with vapourizers, I've owned a Blue Meanie (element in a jar thing) and an Eagle Bill Vapourizing pipe. Neither got the job done for me. Then I tried a Volcano when visiting a coffeeshop and was really impressed with it - finally one that really works. The 300 price tag meant I never got one.

The iolite so far, seems almost too good to be true, I am getting full BIG draws of vapour from it. Make sure your green is very dry and very finely ground. This is coming from someone who's smoked spliffs daily for many years - DO NOT WORRY, you will feel what you inhale. You might be a bit dubious at first, but by the time you've vaped a few half bowls in this thing, you'll be a kind of stoned you haven't been for a long time

Vaping creeps up on you, and I can't believe how much more I'm appreciating the taste, some herbs minty, some herbs taste more fruity - I've found I notice the difference betwen strains a lot more this way.

This is great if, like me, you were starting to get concerned about your health but you still want to get stoned. It won't rid you of tobacco cravings, but being baked out of your skull could well help you forget them. ;) You will also be amazed how little of the herb you use.

Now to the limitations: To me, this feels quite delicate, light, fragile, sensitive. Do you know what I mean? You wouldn't want to drop it, your heart would be in your mouth if you dropped it. I wish it was slightly more rugged, like the original Sony Sport Walkman. I can't speculate as to how tough it is, but your heart would stop beating if you spilt beer on it for example. Unless you can afford to buy a spare, I wouldn't take it to a festival (you'd kill the drunk idiot who trod on it), or stock car racing, skateboarding or whatever. I'd love to be proven wrong on this so if yours has taken a beating and survived - say so.

The unit gets scarily hot but I have been assured that is normal. If it stops functioning so well and you see no orange light it needs more butane... is that really a downside, if it had been mentioned in the booklet would have been helpful.

Erm, that's it really, everything else positive you've heard about this device is true. For 135 you really feel you've got your money's worth. Longevity - who can tell? I really, really hope so. It's a very sleek, clever, pretty, portable, cute little unit but it doesn't SEEM very tough - only time will tell, but I'm feeling pretty positive at the moment! :)

If you're hesitating - just go and buy one. There are some dissatisfied customers on this board but I feel many more disgruntled people write on these things than happy, satisfied customers like me.

Just a couple of things I was wondering - How often do people recommend cleaning?

Does the metal bit you first fill up (not the one with the pin) unscrew for cleaning like all the other bits?

Best way of cleaning? I have never loved a herbal device so much but been this anxious about it at the same time....... new technology - scary - hope I'm not inhaling butane/plastic - would love to understand the process more to ease my fears.

One downpoint is the device could come with more comprehensive maintenance instructions. The manual is a bit brief... any advice would be appreciated..

misanthrope,

Geeza

Randall2010 said:
Ciarn@O&B said:
indigal said:
First- If this is an excerpt, where is the policy above posted? I cannot locate it on your webpage, nor anyplace on the internet for that matter. Please direct me to where customers may find this info.
This is an excerpt from our trading agreement with our distributors. We are updating some pages on our website in three weeks and more details of this nature will be posted up there.

indigal said:
Second- why not add a list of authorized resellers (all resellers online and shop) to your website instead of asking customers to vet a purchase with you first? That seems terribly customer-unfriendly.
We do not publicize a list of authorised resellers as it is commercially sensitive information. I am sure you can understand that. However if someone wants to purchase an iolite out of a brick and mortar store, it will be guaranteed warranty service. We say to anyone its "buyer beware" if anyone wants to buy an iolite on ebay or any other online marketplace. We have informed ebay and Amazon directly of this also. We get many emails daily from people looking to buy online but dont know which the best seller to buy from is. We tell them not to buy off of ebay, Amazon, ioffer or any other online marketplace and look out for the iolite authorised dealer logo with dealer code. Anyone can also email us with a dealer code to make sure that dealer code is valid with that seller.

indigal said:
Third- Based on how many sellers there are just on Ebay alone selling your product- are you experiencing a lot of diversion (theft) of your product?
Many sellers are moving large amounts of your Iolites on Ebay (all are quoting your warranty in their auctions.) If they are getting your product from an O&B authorized reseller, then the warranty should be honoured through the authorized reseller to them (the Ebay seller/store) so that they in turn can get the product repaired for their (& Your customer.) To deny even this, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.
We have informed all of our distributors that they are not authorised to sell to ebay sellers unless that ebay seller is authorised directly from Oglesby and Butler. All iolite resellers are aware of this and some still chose to sell online. Many of these resellers are very shady characters and go to extreme lengths to buy iolite's off of our distributors. As a result it can be hard to track these people down and cut them off but we do cut them off straight away as soon as we have more information on them. Any distributor found to be selling to ebay sellers is cut off too. Also as you have noticed many ebay sellers will also state that the iolite comes with a warranty even though they know otherwise. Many of these ebay sellers have no problems deceiving their customers.

indigal said:
Fourth- based on this: NO internet reseller is authorised to sell on eBay, Amazon, ioffer or any other online marketplace unless explicitly authorized directly by Oglesby and Butler Ltd.
Are you saying there is a now a two-tier reseller level or a stipulation for your established online dealers that they cannot sell on auction sites without getting your permission? Are all your distributors/resellers aware of this policy change? I did catch the "should be are aware of this" in the quote above.
This is correct.

indigal said:
If you are going to continue down this road, you really should consider putting a banner or notice on your website to your potential customers regarding the authorized dealer stipulation. There is but one mention regarding this warranty voiding issue (#10 on the list of what's not covered on your warranty pdf: http://www.my-iolite.com/downloads/warrantycard-rev1-2010.pdf )

I can't see where this is mentioned anyplace else. :/
As stated above we will be putting more information on our website to warn people of this.
From today our company will be shut down for the annual summer holidays and I will be out of the office for the next two weeks and will have no form of communication so I will not be able to respond but I will as soon as I get back. Our customer service centre in the United states will be open however.
I am really curious to learn why eBay, ioffer or Amazon sellers are not authorized? As far as I understand, they are buying from somebody who is authorized and selling on these websites. What is wrong with that? Unless they violate patent rights or reverse engineer the product or do any other illegal activity, isn't this a win win situation for everybody?
Yes that is exactly the case.. They do not!!!!!!!! want anything to do with any iolite that is not sold by one of there regestered resellers.. Sort of stupid I think.. I have sent mine back and had my back.. Will go buy from someone who will deliver a good customer care package... Do not buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mod note: You've been warned about your repeated rants against iolite. Enjoy your vacation from the forum.

Geeza,

VaphingApe415

Back on the scene! Crispy and clean...Just got my brand spanking new replacement iolite! As you might of peeped my dilemma earlier in the post, page 103 or so. My iolite failed on me. But after almost about three weeks from today, I have received my replacement iolite, with a new mouth piece bowl! Love this lil vaporizer that can! After many packs of peach optimos and swisher sweets, she is back and working like a champ. Right on iolite! Happy I went through with claiming my warranty, took a min but when it's all said and done. I'm just another happy customer in the crowds of many. If y'all have problems, give customer service a ring cause they made it right in my neck of the woods. Over and out! Now back to Jamin like Marley! YEEeee!

VaphingApe415,

misanthrope

Still enjoying my Iolite after 3 days use, just wondering if anyone out there has had their one running for a long while?

I plan on using this thing daily, but do worry about it failing. Of all the vapes out there, this one seems to get a lot of bad press (undeserved IMO).

misanthrope,

max

Out to lunch
I've been using the iolite since they first hit the market, but I don't use it every day. The only problem I've had (broken mouthpiece) was totally my fault.

Of all the vapes out there, this one seems to get a lot of bad press (undeserved IMO).
I wouldn't say it gets the most bad press by any means, but they have had quite a problem with the mouthpiece stems, and judging by forum reports I'd say that other operational problems have been higher than with your typical analog electric models. But the iolite is a new design in vapes. Nothing else out there using butane in a catalytic process. Although the company has a lot of experience producing butane powered tools, this is their first attempt using this heating method for a vape.

If reliability is your #1 priority, there are safer choices. For portable use (and if you're not gonna use this vape as a portable, what's the point?), the LB can't be beat for reliability. It's a much simpler design, and replacement is guaranteed even if the problem is your fault. But the iolite has its advantages, and I'd hate to do without mine.

max,

greystr0ke

I use mine everyday, 3-5 times a day and it hasn't failed me yet. I bought it in April.... I've broke the mouthpiece once but as Max previously stated, it was my fault.

I've left mine on accidentally twice now while I was hammered and woke up to a dead iolite laying next to me that contained some extremely brown/burnt ABV. I just added butane and it was good to go again.

greystr0ke,

redshift

Used mine daily or so without incident for about a month recently. Still use it frequently, had it about 6 months and no problems so far. Just, do use good butane. That's the main thing that can't be said enough.

redshift,

misanthrope

Thanks for the quick response everyone. I must say, it's excellent news to hear there are daily users out there still going strong. I'm hoping that if I look after the Iolite, it will look after me. :)

I use Swan super clean or Ronson ultra clean and they seem alright, although I find it needs a refill after about an hours use rather than two hours - while this is not a problem, maybe better butane will remedy this.

Just to trouble you with one more question: inside the bowl where you stick your herbs, when you take the gauze out, I find some oily, sticky residue. What's the best method of cleaning this in your opinion?

Thanks again for the advice, since vaping I feel immesurably healthier and it's great that this community is here to educate people.

misanthrope,

PACNWPACKRAT

I want to start by saying how happy I have been with my IOLITE. BUT after 4 months the ignitor went out and I was unlucky enough to have not done my homework enough and found out my vape wasnt covered due to buying from a un-authorized vendor. PLEASE do yourself a favor and only buy from an Authorized dealer. They offer no repairs either, I found this out today via email from CS :( SO even though you my find one for $179 bucks its better to pay the extra to cover all the bases. I am now left with only fond memories of a great vape, and being on a fixed income I have little hope to replace it anytime in the next couple years. Their CS has been helpful for the most part but curt. On a side note, if anyone knows any tricks to fixing an IOLITE I would LOVE to be privy to said info. Again awesome product, just wish there was some recourse to fix the unit for the unlucky.

PACNWPACKRAT,

MtnMan

Hello:

I've had my iolite for two weeks now, and I've been working hard (including reading all 107 pages of this thread!) to figure out how get the best out of it. I initially had two problems:

1. Lack of any visible vapor and weak hits.
2. Trouble re-filling the butane tank.

Regarding my problem with the vapor, I experimented with packing the bowl and now I get fantastic hits every time. It turns out that you really need your herb to be finely ground with a grinder and then don't pack it too tight!

I measure out the bowl by filling the upper chamber (the part that that comes off the device) about half way, loosely packed. I then carefully transfer the herb into the lower chamber! This allows the herb to settle comfortably around the heating pin, and still allows a lot of surface area on the herb.

The problem with just loading the upper chamber (it'seven worse if you over-pack the upper chamber), is that the pin tends to push it all up against the upper screen, where it doesn't heat up very efficiently. You can tell when you are having this problem if you open the "herb chamber" and see the herb is all crammed at the mouthpiece end of the bowl. That was the main source of my problems.

Also, I like to let it heat up with the herb chamber OFF. I take the chamber off and then start up the device. I then loosely load up the herb chamber, then gently "pour" it into the lower chamber, around the heating pin. Even as it is pouring in, you'll see delicious vapor rising off of it! Then quickly plug in the herb chamber and draw your first hit. It is most tasty and you get big clouds!

I've gotten so spoiled that I only take the first green hits off of the iolite. I don't bother with the more "toasted" flavored hits that come later. I'm just dumping that out and saving it-- Perhaps I'll load up a pipe with it and see what potency I've left behind!

My second problem was with filling the butane tank. I'm not sure I've completely worked this part out, because I definitely do NOT get 2 hours of use on a single refill. When the tank is completely empty, I use the tool and press on the filling pin to empty the tank of any remaining pressure. I then refill, and do it slowly, without pressing down too hard with the butane can.

What I think goes wrong is if I fill it too fast, or push down too hard, butane leaks out and gets everything really cold. After it is cold, the filling pin seems to plug up so you can't get any more butane into the tank. I think I've confirmed this because after filling the tank today to the point where butane leaked out, I then ran the device for just 30 seconds. This warmed up the workings, and then I was able to fill it up quite a bit more.

I hope this is helpful to you all. This was the info I could really have used when I first got the iolite.

As for the negative reviews on this thread, after 100 pages it all starts to sound like "the food is horrible; and the portions are too small!" :)

I think this gizmo is downright amazing, but there is definitely a learning curve involved in gettting decent results from it. It would be better if it came with a nice "how to" video or something but I guess they'd get in trouble if they had a video that specifically addressed issues with loading weed into their product!

MtnMan,

Walter P. Harrington III

Walter P. Harrington Esq III here,

After looking through some of your fine posts and trying some of the tips and tricks in them, I have decided to share the ones I thought beneficial, practical, and efficient. I am, after all, Walter P. Harrington Esq III. The Iolite vaporizer is not a tool that requires little skill or some degree of an ability to learn new skills to use effectively. You must learn how to use the Iolite with the ends you desire in mind. Do you wish to get fozz-nockled? I have read that this is not the tool for you. But it can be. Let me tell you how.

First Problem: Too little vapor/hits too small :(
It seems to me that, upon inspecting the mechanics of the device, there are some inherent faults. The reason that the hits you are taking are so small or that you see no vapor upon exhale is that the dimensions of the bowl head/heating chamber are off. This means that the bowl is too far away from the heating element. Here, less space = higher temperatures. Iolite tells us that 190C is achieved by this little device. In order to utilize all of that heat, your poison should be as close to the source as possible. To achieve this I modified the bowl so that it would be shallower. Use the following combination from bottom to top:
Mounted screen, holes facing down (towards the mouth-piece); mounted screen, holes facing up; metal retainer ring.
With this the heating pin will not poke a tiny hole in your screen, your poison will be directly on top of the heating element, and you will be using the heat more efficiently. This organization does have drawbacks. Namely that the amount you should put in the bowl is very small, about 1/2 full loose. This will render about 7-9 effective draws.
I WORD OF CAUTION: I have found that this modification will make the unit much warmer, noticeably in the mouth-piece.
Nothing other than that changes, the unit still takes the same time to heat up, uses the same amount of butane, and you get more vapor per hit.
You must next allow the unit to heat up (usually 2-5 minutes or 3-5 cycles) before you put anything in. Then put your poison in and allow another 2 cycles to run.
Other things that I do that I'm not entirely sure help are varied...
Until you draw on the unit, when your poison is inside, I place my finger over the hole. It seemed rather obvious that the vapor would be escaping constantly as there is nothing between the heating chamber and the mouth-piece to stop it from doing so. Of course I am not sure if this makes a difference.
Relying on gravity, I generally keep the unit in the upright position, allowing your poison to settle into the heating chamber.
S
O
U
L
Enjoy!

Walter P. Harrington III,

misanthrope

Hello All, I have found as MtnMan said, if you grind your herb up really fine and give it a couple of heat cycles before you inhale will get the best results. This thing wrecks me so much, joints don't do a lot anymore other than satisfy nicoteine craving.

However, my Iolite has started making a slight, very quiet whistling noise a bit like R2D2 out of Star Wars! Has anyone else experienced this???

It doesn't bother me but it better not be a leaky gas tank. :uhoh:

BTW I find the gas lasts about an hour, anything beyond that and your pushing it - annoying when it cuts out at the wrong moment.

misanthrope,

niall

misanthrope said:
However, my Iolite has started making a slight, very quiet whistling noise a bit like R2D2 out of Star Wars! Has anyone else experienced this???

It doesn't bother me but it better not be a leaky gas tank. :uhoh:

BTW I find the gas lasts about an hour, anything beyond that and your pushing it - annoying when it cuts out at the wrong moment.
Doesn't sound good, and given I get 2 hours minimum per fill maybe the valve or something is cracked? I would send it in for repair if it continues or gets worse... maybe email them to see what they recommend?

niall,

greystr0ke

Yeah, I'm sketchy on the whole "2 hour" claim so I usually don't go past 3 bowls without refilling. Speaking of which, I just had to buy my 3rd can of Vector Butane and I'm having serious issues refilling the unit now. I've never had a problem refilling it, even when I first bought it but this new can is an issue. It just starts squirting everywhere. I have to use one of the fitted adapters that it comes with in order to fill it normally.

It's also beginning to take a lot more clicks of the piezo for mine to get started up now. I'm starting to get worried.

In the case that I do have an issue with it, am I to understand that since I bought mine from a headshop, I have no warranty? Even though I paid $250 and still have the receipt?

greystr0ke,

niall

Longest use I've used mine was over 2 hours 20 mins, and I stopped timing at that stage. Always lights first click, and none of my mouthpiece stems have ever broken (think I got the first, original batch they outsourced).

When filling make sure the nozzle is on properly, I give the can a few turns to make sure it's sitting right and has made full contact with the valve.

Check with your headshop to see if they are an authorised retailer, likely their supplier is so it shouldn't be a drama - they're just trying to minimise dodgy people selling or marketing them in an unfavourable light.

niall,

misanthrope

I will certainly contact them with regard to the whistling noise, however, it's still getting us stoned enough and producing loads of vapour as per usual.

Have been asking around IRL at my local headshop and people have said the harder you rip it, the more butane it uses to heat your herb chamber therefore the less long the butane will last. The two hour thing is an average (possibly based on ppl who tend to inhale more gently) - in short, if you suck it "like a Bangkok whore" it prob won't last two hours.

misanthrope,

MtnMan

misanthrope makes a good point about how to best draw on an iolite. I find if you draw too hard, especially at first when the device is still heating up, you get less-concentrated vapor. I suspect that too much air ends up cooling down the herb too much and slows down the vaporization process.

I disagree however with the suggestion that you wait a few cycles before taking draw. I like to load the lower bowl while it is heating up the first cycle. You'll actually see the vapor rising as you quickly plug in the upper chamber. I believe that first draw is a lower temperature, and that is why it tastes so delicious and is so smooth.

My theory is that the heating chamber takes a while to reach its max temperature, so if you handle the iolite carefully, you can get your first taste at a lower temperature which is smoother and tastier. Then, as the device progressively warms up, you take advantage of the higher temps to draw out the remaining THC. Thus, even though it is technically a fixed-temperature device, you can take advantage of the warm-up period to get really awesome-tasting hits at first, and then you milk out any remaining potency later as it gets really hot.

I've had my iolite for about three weeks, and I just tried smoking a doobie and it tasted like eating an ashtray. I'm afraid I can't go back...:)

MtnMan,

misanthrope

I still have a spliff while in the bath 'cos I'm too scared of dropping the IO in water.

Still working fine but my IO makes a whistling noise sometimes when I draw from it and an R2D2 noise when heating up - anyone else experienced this???

The only reason I worry is 'cos it's a butane device and people who inhale butane generally end up very unwell indeed. Because I haven't vaped much before I might not notice.:uhoh:

:peace:

misanthrope,

bytemonger

Hello all,

Noob here.

I have been reading most of the posts here for a couple of days while waiting for my IoLite to arrive.

After reading some of the posts about the flimsiness of the pipe and some other issues with lighting, many of them appeared to be manufacturing defects, I was a little bit apprehensive about the unit.

I dont have a lot of experience in using vapes. A few weeks ago, my buddy showed me his balloon forced air vape (forgot the brand). I was amazed by the amount of vapors it produced, but did not like the experience of using the bag. So, I have been in the lookout for a small vape and found IoLite.

I like to use small amounts just to help me cope with the chronic shoulder/neck pain (I have a DBD), and to get a good buzz. But, somehow I assumed the vapes need large quantities to work properly.

So, today, it arrived. To my dismay I found out that the butane I ordered did not come, so ran out to get a can (Vector, quintuple). Read most of the manual (I was quite familiar with it by reading all the wonderful posts here).
1. Bled the IL. Just a little bit of gas/air.
2. Filled butane following the directions. The seal seem to be a little lose, whichever way I tried, there was a little bit of spray during filling. Not too bad.
3. Took the chamber out - it is tighter than I thought. From the instructions to use a rubber band I thought it will be lose. May be it will become.
4. There was a small note saying that there is a new mesh and need to replace the existing one. So, I unscrewed the stem (very very carefully, from what I have been reading, it seems to be quite brittle), pushed the old mesh out, put the new one in, no sweat.
5. Took about 250mg of herb. Ground the herb (well, I just used my palm and fingers like I have been doing for 20 years.) reasonably well.
6. Switched on the IO (yes, it took about 5-10 mins for the above steps). Clicked the igniter. The sound DID NOT turned into a "roar" like the manual said. I was getting a little worried, but then I felt the welcoming warmth.
7. Smell of newly heated up plastic and some other solvents. Not good. let it run for a few cycles.
8. Smell cleared, took the chamber out, filled, put it back. I am going to wait for 45 s.
9. 15s and I am too impatient. Took the IO in hand (it now feels quite warm, but there are lot of places to hold comfortably away from the heat), took a slow, long drag. Mmmm, I can feel the warmth and the taste...
10. Held the breath, but cant wait to see if I have a "cloud". AHH!!!! there it is, nice, bluish white, pure fragrant vapor.

After first two sessions, I am completely sold. IO is a great vape. Vaping is great. I am not going back to smoking.

Thanks everyone here for the great info
BM :peace:

bytemonger,

redshift

I noticed the seal seems kind of loose too. It fills though, so I don't worry about it.

The chamber is kind of weird. If you pull in exactly the right direction it's really loose. So there will be times when you have to work and kind of shake it to get it out, and times when you bump the stem the wrong way and it comes loose. Fortunately not many of either.

The stem should be okay, now, that was mostly a defect with a batch or two a while ago. I think. Don't rough-handle it and you should be okay.

redshift,

supevape

I bought my iolite about 2 months ago and have been using it ever since. however it recently stopped igniting (doesnt make hissing noise when toggle is on 1) and i think that the cause is the butane that i used. i was using ronson (american version, i didnt know the difference till after it broke). my question is even though i used bad butane in the past, if i purge my iolite and dont use it for a couple of days. will it still work if i put good butane back into it a couple days from now?

thanks

supevape,
Top Bottom