Lo

Combustion free since '09
Yes Supevape... There are some troubleshooting tips from manufacturer about filling, venting several times to get it going. The butane quality makes A HUGE difference in the functioning of the unit.

Here is the quote from Iolite mfgr. on troubleshooting:

Iolite Troubleshoot:

Unfortunately as the iolite is a butane device it will have problems with the cold.

If the temperature is close to or below freezing (as it is now) the iolite will need to be warmed to room/body temperature before ignition. However when hot and running it will function correctly.

I realise you have vented/refilled the iolite already, however, here are our up to date instructions for this process which may differ from yours.

Please follow the following troubleshooting below to vent and refill the iolite.

Also please use a new can of butane for this procedure. (Please note this may need to be done at least twice)

1. Please make sure to read the warning on the back of your can of butane before proceeding with the following instructions.

2. Move to a well ventilated area, outside is best.

3. Make sure the unit is off. Turn the unit upside down and point away from your body. Make sure your face is not in the path of the released gas.

4. Using the small end of the handtool (if you have the newer hand tool it will be too large to use, in this case use the lid of a biro or something that will fit but not damage the valve), depress the gas valve and let all the gas dispel ensuring to keep hands clear of liquid gas spraying from the valve, this may take up to or more than 1 minute, it will be empty when you can no longer hear a hiss.

5. Please do not use a nearly empty can of butane fuel as this may cause problems with the functioning of the iolite.

6. Hold the iolite in one hand with the gas valve at the top.

7. With your other hand hold the butane can upside down.

8. Position the butane can at an angle and offer it to the filling valve then move the can perpendicular to the filling valve ensuring a good seal.

9. Press down gently but firmly (excessive spray back is a sign that either the butane can has not created a proper seal or the gas tank may already be full).

10. When the iolite is full, there will be visible spray back of fuel from the valve.

11. Leave the iolite to stand for at least 5 minutes (always do this after refuelling).

12. Turn the iolite on. Don't try to ignite it.

13. Leave it to run for about 15 minutes.

14. Repeat the above steps.

15. Press the igniter in a firm and sharp manner (you may need to do this up to 3 times for ignition to occur).

16. The red glow may not appear for a few seconds after ignition.

Below are some usage/refilling tips.

The following are tips for using the iolite:

1. Grind your herb relatively fine.

2. Loosely pack the bowl to 3 quarters full, if you pack it too tight this will impede the function of the iolite as there will be less air flow and the heat will not circulate as well.

3. Turn the iolite on and wait for the initial cycle to complete, around 45 seconds to a minute, the red light will disappear.

4. You may now inhale from the iolite, if you want a larger initial hit then leave the iolite to cook the herb for a further minute or 2.

5. To inhale properly; This is not like a cigarette, the vapour must be drawn directly into the lungs, also sucking hard and quick on the mouthpiece will not work correctly, a gentle approach is required to gain the best from the iolite. Take a long, slow, gentle inhale straight into the lung, try not to suck in any air apart from through the mouthpiece, then hold it for a comfortable period of time, exhale and draw on the iolite again until the herb is depleted.

6. The herb is depleted when it turns to a toasty brown colour throughout, some people also say it tastes like burnt popcorn. This is a case of gaining experience and over time you will be able to judge correctly when the herb is depleted.

To refill the iolite with fuel properly:

1. Hold the iolite in one hand with the gas valve at the top.

2. With your other hand hold the butane can upside down.

3. Position the butane can at an angle and offer it to the filling valve then move the can perpendicular to the filling valve ensuring a good seal.

4. Press down gently but firmly (excessive spray back is a sign that either the butane can has not created a proper seal or the gas tank may already be full).

5. When the iolite is full, there will be visible spray back of fuel from the valve.

6. Leave the iolite to stand for at least 5 minutes (always do this after refuelling).

7. Turn the iolite on, the switch should be at 1.

8. Press the igniter in a firm and sharp manner (you may need to do this up to 3 times for ignition to occur).

9. The red glow may not appear for a few seconds after ignition.
Good luck!! I have heard of many fixing their issues following the tips and switching to high quality butane.

Lo,

greystr0ke

I'm seriously having issues with my new can of Vector. I've had two before this and never had an issue filling up my Iolite. Now, every refill is a freaking task. The butane is just spilling out everywhere and half the time the unit isn't refilling. At first, one of the adapters was working but now that isn't helping. When new members would come on here and state they were having such problems refilling their units, I had no idea what they were going through. Now I understand. It's almost as if the tip of the Vecotr can is going down onto the Iolite's refill tip a little to far and it's not as tight of a fit as the previous two cans. :mad:

greystr0ke,

PACNWPACKRAT

PACNWPACKRAT,

PACNWPACKRAT

greystr0ke said:
I'm seriously having issues with my new can of Vector. I've had two before this and never had an issue filling up my Iolite. Now, every refill is a freaking task. The butane is just spilling out everywhere and half the time the unit isn't refilling. At first, one of the adapters was working but now that isn't helping. When new members would come on here and state they were having such problems refilling their units, I had no idea what they were going through. Now I understand. It's almost as if the tip of the Vecotr can is going down onto the Iolite's refill tip a little to far and it's not as tight of a fit as the previous two cans. :mad:
oh hell the tip of the butane is supposed to go IN the tip on the iolite? ... I do feel like a git now

wellp learn something new everyday. Thanks for inadvertantly showing me the 'light' ;)

PACNWPACKRAT,

tradhead

indigal said:
Geeza said:
I contacted Ciaran Oglesby by phone and email. The guy I purchased mine from is not regestered but the warehouse he gets them from IS!!!! They now will not honour HIS RETURNS ALTHOUGH HE IS REGESTERED. I explained to Ciaran thet there are 1,000 of people selling there goods that should not be (according to them ) and that I cant understand why they let them.. I offered to contact ebay on every occasion that I saw a non reg seller to stop the illegal sales of so many of there goods.. Here is his response

Ciaran :-Hi Scott,

Thank you for your offer. We would like to take you up on that offer to bring awareness to all the sellers on ebay and other online marketplaces.
If you are successful and have proof of your success we will give you a free limited edition iolite and one of our new vaporisers when launched in the coming year.
We really appreciate your assistance in this matter.
Geeza,
All I can say, is I empathize with you. I've worked in a field for 7 years now where I deal with large corporations resolving warranty issues and facilitating repairs with other large corporations: Samsung, Sony, Extron.. big $$$ items, and I have never seen a warranty policy as poorly thought out and so slanted against the customer. I usually never get involved in asking the pointed questions like I did above. I've checked my email and see no responses yet. :/

You are not incorrect in your anger, for both O&B and hopefully the seller on Ebay can make it right with you directly considering his sale included a warranty that is invalid?

Either way, O&B is acting very unethically by putting the task on you to enforce their agreement with the carrot of a new Io if you succeed. Wow.

That is THEIR job to do and their job to cut off any dealers if they are not abiding by their rules.
And furthermore, this clause in the agreement of no Ebay selling? I do not see anything in that clause saying the warranty is void if the authorized reseller sells to another individual in bulk. The auth reseller is not selling on Ebay, from what I can infer- the warranty should still be valid to the authorized reseller. Yes, it gets cumbersom, but still: Io --> Auth Reseller (warranty valid)---> sold in bulk to person A (warranty valid)--->you (no warranty).. however Person A should be able to go to AuthReseller to get warranty support.

I smell a rat. We will sell thousands of Iolites to our resellers, knowing they will in turn sell to folks who have an Ebay store, and we get to keep the money &move all this product without the concerns of supporting it after the sale because we altered the reseller agreement! How did they relay this change in the contract to the resellers? Letter with request to sign & fax back? Phone call? Did they alert them at all? Hmm wish I were still friends with the business lawyer dude.. I'd have some interesting conversations around this one.

I'm still waiting on O&B to please address my post from earlier. Still hoping there's some integrity and that perhaps these cumbersome clauses can be changed or a work around can be made for those caught in the middle. O&B, these are your customers you are hurting. Enforce your own agreements with your resellers and cut them off if you need to, but don't leave so many people who are buying your product, supporting your company in the lurch.
Look isnt it obvious? they are cutting their losses. We, the consumers, were the beta testors, the model has not stood up well. They simply cant afford to fix all the failures. Why else would they be playing these stupid games? They made a product sold it with a 2 yr guarantee. Now they find that they are not lasting a year, if that, mine lasted 3 months. They are overwhelmed with complaints and requests to honour the warranty, so they figured a way to avoid honouring their agreement with purchasers.

Or does anyone else have a rational explanation for this behaviour? Can anyone suggest any other company or device that has conditions like this?

tradhead,

MtnMan

I've been vaping for three weeks and I've got a jar full of brown vapor-pooh, which is getting large enough that I need to do something with it. I haven't the patience for cooking, but I do like the way it tastes just out of the bowl-- kind of toasty, but not burned. It seems like it would make a great condiment for something, but I don't know what!

So today I stuck a pinch in my wooden pipe and smoked it like it was tobacco, and I got really high!:ko:

I thought I was really sucking the last drop of THC out of my Iolite but there's still a ton left over in the brown remains. Maybe it doesn't get hot enough to squeeze out the last 20%? Or maybe I need to suck on it for 30 minutes after the last vapor hit to get the last little bits out of the herb?

I had read in several places that vaporizers were more efficient than smoking, but I think a bong is still way more efficient. Either that or I'm doing something wrong!

MtnMan,

Lo

Most of us save the ABV from fixed temp vapes like the Iolite. A lot of us make swamp water with it and golden dragon from cleaning the iolite parts. Others make brownies. I tried the hard candy recipe too and that was easy and VERY effective. There are threads on the brownies & swamp water. I'd check them out. Very powerful stuff left over and swamp water is easy plus can be really potent.

Lo,

greystr0ke

ABV from the iolite is great for edibles. because it doesn't exceed a certain temperature so there is still plenty of goodness to get out of the ABV. My last batch of brownies were the strongest I've ever had and they were made with ABV just from the iolite. My friends couldn't believe they were made with vaped nug. I'm about ready to make a new batch.

On a side note, I think I've got the new can of Vector to behave properly. The new can wasn't going all the way down as easily as the past few were so it requires a little bit of wiggling once the butane tip and iolite tip are mated. Hard to explain. :/

greystr0ke,

pipsizza

Does anyone know if you can fill the iolite with butane when it's half full, as in to top it up?

Cheers

pipsizza,

misanthrope

I'm still using my iolite and the whistling noise seems to have fixed itself. However, I can understand certain member's frustration with the O&B company. It still does the job, though seemingly not as efficiently as it did a month ago....:uhoh:

I sent them a politely worded email with a few simple queries and have recieved NOTHING back in weeks. My questions were not difficult and I am baffled at why they would not get back to me.

I shouldn't have had to write to them for info, but the instruction booklet is just not enough for someone who has shelled out 100+ on brand new technology and want it to work. O&B should bare in mind the fact that people's health can be dependent on this device so they will want answers to questions. The info on the website is SO minimal. How about they do a section on how it works, more thorough troubleshooting info, a form for sending units back for repair, cleaning info, health related information. FFS, even I can do a little bit of html, I'll knock that lot up in an afternoon if they want - just give me the info.

All I wanted to know was: Is the whistling noise on the unit anything to worry about with regard to possibly inhaling butane through some leak or whatever?

And How best do you clean the built in heat chamber?

The unit is a wonderful idea but I worry that it degrades a bit over time, I'm not getting "effected" from my vapour as much as when I first got the thing a month ago. I really hope that the unit lasts because if these guys won't even reply to some polite queries, I can't see them honouring their dubious, condition-ridden guarantee.

If anyone here can answer those two questions it would be much appreciated.

Yours Concerned,

Mis. :peace:

misanthrope,

Lo

I'm not sure about the whistling noice but I would email them again on that if it comes back. I've had hit/miss on the answering of the emails myself there at times but now with the N.A. service center open hopefully that will be improved.

I can say that I notice a HUGE decrease in performance when it needs cleaning. I take apart the chamber & mouthpiece bits...soak in Everclear (to obtain the golden dragon goodies). Rinse and let dry - good as new.

The part of the chamer attached to the Iolite I clean with q-tips & ISO....Letting it dry fully before use of course.

Cleaning the chamber makes a big difference in performance IMHO.

Lo,

greystr0ke

pipsizza said:
Does anyone know if you can fill the iolite with butane when it's half full, as in to top it up?

Cheers
I fill mine when it's still got some butane left in it all the time. I rarely ever let it get to the point of being empty before refilling it.

misanthrope said:
And How best do you clean the built in heat chamber?[/b]

The unit is a wonderful idea but I worry that it degrades a bit over time, I'm not getting "effected" from my vapour as much as when I first got the thing a month ago. I really hope that the unit lasts because if these guys won't even reply to some polite queries, I can't see them honouring their dubious, condition-ridden guarantee.
Are you referring to the metal chamber that has the heat pin in it? As Lo stated, iso rubbing alcohol and Q-tips work the best for it. After months of use, mine became brown on the inside and it was not easy to get off. I'll drench one side of the Q-Tip with the iso and then kind of press it against the inside of the chamber so that it gets a little layer of iso in the heating chamber of the iolite. I'll then let it sit in there for 30 minutes to an hour while the iolite is standing straight up. It will get most of the gunk out but I actually had to scrape the the chamber with a small pocket knife to get some of the stains off it.

I often think that my unit is not working as good as it was but then all of the sudden, it blows me away again. Sometimes I would exhale and not see a damn thing. Other times, I will exhale and see huge clouds. It just wasn't consistent for me. After noticing this issue off an on again, I realized it was my herb that was making all the difference. This unit really likes dry herb. If the herb is the slightest bit sticky or fresh then the hits I get off the unit suck. If I dry the herb out, it's like a whole new machine. Every time I get a batch now, I let it sit in my car for a few hours while I'm at work and that does the trick. The only benefit I've found for having a black car with black interior in the FL heat is to dry my buds. lol

greystr0ke,

IncubusX

hey been vaping with the iolite for a few months now and have been having the toughest time getting it started recently around an hour or two of trying, venting, filling and letting it run for a bit before trying to ignite again. It starts, eventually but its quite the hassle. does anyone else have this problem?, theres nothing more torturing then wanting to get high and then instead get uber frustrated. ill need the patience of a buddhist monk to continue vaping.

IncubusX,

greystr0ke

IncubusX said:
hey been vaping with the iolite for a few months now and have been having the toughest time getting it started recently around an hour or two of trying, venting, filling and letting it run for a bit before trying to ignite again. It starts, eventually but its quite the hassle. has anyone else have this problem?, theres nothing more torturing then wanting to get high and then instead get uber frustrated. ill need the patience of a buddhist monk to continue vaping.
It's been happening to me on a constant basis recently and it's getting quite frustrating. Mine used to start on the first click but now it's anywhere from the 5th to the 30th click before I see the orange light.

How old is your unit?

greystr0ke,

MtnMan

What does ABV stand for? This might seem off-topic, but it seems to me that the IoLite in particular leaves behind a certain amount of "active ingredients". In fact, I'm beginning to suspect that unless you suck on a bowl for half an hour, you can expect to extract only half of what is in the herb.

This is an entirely subjective judgement, but I came to this conclusion yesterday when I filled the bowl about half-full, lightly packed, with Blue Dream. I vaped it for about 15 minutes, until there was very little visible 'smoke'. I got all the desired effects, which lasted a couple of hours.

After the effects had mostly worn off, I cracked open the Iolite and dumped out the ABV onto a cookie. It tasted pretty damn good, and I'd swear that I got as high, if not MORE high from eating the leftovers than I did from vaping!

So I'm estimating that only about 50% gets extracted by the Iolite. Does anyone else have any ideas for evaluating the efficiency of the Iolite in extracting THC?

I might have to start giving away edibles soon because the Iolite leaves behind a tremendous amount of potent ABV-- more than I can keep up with single-handedly!

MtnMan,

max

Out to lunch
What does ABV stand for?
Already been vaped. http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2445

This might seem off-topic, but it seems to me that the IoLite in particular leaves behind a certain amount of "active ingredients". In fact, I'm beginning to suspect that unless you suck on a bowl for half an hour, you can expect to extract only half of what is in the herb.
Not off topic at all. The iolite has a fixed temp, so even if you fully vape the bowl, there are indeed some 'actives' remaining. That's why saving ABV for further processing is a good idea. As for how long a bowl takes to fully vape, that depends on how much you load. The iolite holds quite a bit. In fact you could load both the heating pin area and the herb chamber. The fact that it takes a while to finish a bowl is also a good example of what happens when you vape at a higher temp. If you use a vape with variable temp, especially a big hitter, and start at a high temp, your load is gone in a flash. I've seen this with many different models over the years, and I'm convinced that you get a lot more out of your herb if you start low and move the temp up when the vapor tails off. I've found that the iolite does a good job of processing to an even shade of brown, but it is definitely worthwhile to do something more with the remains.

I got as high, if not MORE high from eating the leftovers than I did from vaping!
Well, you can't compare vaping/smoking to eating. It's a different high-takes a lot longer to hit you and lasts longer-more of a body high too. As for THC, there'll be little to none left in a fully vaped iolite bowl. It gets hot enough to release the THC. What you get in the ABV are cannabinoid compounds that take higher temps to vaporize.

max,

IncubusX

So last night when trying to get the iolite started i realized the can of colibri i was using ran out of propellant before all the liquid was gone. so thats probably why i was having such difficulty lighting it. I bought a new can today and was wondering is it a good idea to shake the can of butane before refueling?

IncubusX,

PACNWPACKRAT

Wellp as technically uninclined as I am, I still managed to get my Iolite fixed, been just about a month without a vape till this very evening :) this forum is now my new fave for saving me a load of cash I dont really have to spend :lol: ty

~PACNWPACKRAT

PACNWPACKRAT,

loewan

Just got myself an i-Inhale. Had it for just over a week. Been over to a couple of friends places with it. Love the portability! Vaped while being in a bath is just amazing!

Been really careful with the mouthpiece and not had any trouble so far. Fingers crossed! :ko:

loewan,

pdxbmw

I have had an Iolite for a little over a week, and so far, for what it is, its great. I actually really like the temp setting, it helps with consistency for using AVB, but one or two other temps would be nice. The iolite gives me a very clean high, more body, and usually energy. Gotta love those lower temps. I prefer couch-lock at home and at night.

I will be quick to say that the instructions are pretty useless. I think that is why my friend traded me her Iolite for a home vaporizer that she wants me to make. It seems as though people associate vaporizers with getting super baked. There is always the right to for the right job. Super baked with the Iolite, no. Feeling great after using the iolite, hell yah.

Last night I revaped my Iolite AVB in my DIY vape, and at the higher temp, it knocked me to sleep. I was originally stoked about vaping and using the AVB for tinctures and cooking. But now I'm super stoked that I can use the Iolite during the day or when I'm on the go, and then I can use the AVB from the iolite at home to help put me asleep, and still use the AVB later for topical tinctures for inflamed joints, tight muscles, etc....

Patrick

pdxbmw,

AlzheimerCare

How do we know if the seller we bought from is an authorized seller of iolite? I bought mine off of Amazon dot com.

AlzheimerCare,

misanthrope

Lo said:
I'm not sure about the whistling noice but I would email them again on that if it comes back. I've had hit/miss on the answering of the emails myself there at times but now with the N.A. service center open hopefully that will be improved.

I can say that I notice a HUGE decrease in performance when it needs cleaning. I take apart the chamber & mouthpiece bits...soak in Everclear (to obtain the golden dragon goodies). Rinse and let dry - good as new.

The part of the chamer attached to the Iolite I clean with q-tips & ISO....Letting it dry fully before use of course.

Cleaning the chamber makes a big difference in performance IMHO.
Thankyou for the excellent tip there, that is what I'll do, you make it sound easy as well! :)

I will say in defence of the iolite that it is still performing the function, maybe a clean will make all the difference, I've scraped it out with a tooth pick before as suggested in the instruction book but it's been tasting quite rank recently regardless - hopefully the alcohol will do the trick.

Thanks Again.

misanthrope,

misanthrope

greystr0ke said:
pipsizza said:

Cheers
I fill mine when it's still got some butane left in it all the time. I rarely ever let it get to the point of being empty before refilling it.

misanthrope said:
And How best do you clean the built in heat chamber?[/b]

Are you referring to the metal chamber that has the heat pin in it? As Lo stated, iso rubbing alcohol and Q-tips work the best for it. After months of use, mine became brown on the inside and it was not easy to get off. I'll drench one side of the Q-Tip with the iso and then kind of press it against the inside of the chamber so that it gets a little layer of iso in the heating chamber of the iolite. I'll then let it sit in there for 30 minutes to an hour while the iolite is standing straight up. It will get most of the gunk out but I actually had to scrape the the chamber with a small pocket knife to get some of the stains off it.

I often think that my unit is not working as good as it was but then all of the sudden, it blows me away again. Sometimes I would exhale and not see a damn thing. Other times, I will exhale and see huge clouds. It just wasn't consistent for me. After noticing this issue off an on again, I realized it was my herb that was making all the difference. This unit really likes dry herb. If the herb is the slightest bit sticky or fresh then the hits I get off the unit suck. If I dry the herb out, it's like a whole new machine. Every time I get a batch now, I let it sit in my car for a few hours while I'm at work and that does the trick. The only benefit I've found for having a black car with black interior in the FL heat is to dry my buds. lol
It's not the most reliable unit in the world but it does the trick, I've just converted from smoking and it is a whole different ball game whereby you wait for the stone to creep up on you - but creep up on you it does. I definitely get more stoned from this than smoking any number of spliffs. You're right, you need your herb super dry - I've been impatient before and it wasn't great.

2 Downsides to it - It's started to taste a bit funky, despite placing the mouthpiece in boiling water as suggested in the instructions - hopefully alcohol will sort that out.

The other downside is worrying about the bloody thing.

Thanks for responding! :peace:

misanthrope,

<--- there's the bag

i apologize if this has been addressed, but does anyone have any first-hand experience using synthetic mj (k2?) in the iolite?

i have taken some of the suggestions from this thread and used them and had incredibly results w/ the iolite. most notably:

-grind your herbs up well (this is HUGE imo)
-don't overfill the bowl
-instead of filling the removable piece w/ herb and plugging it back into the Iolite, dump the ground herb into the heating chamber (wow does this seem to make a huge difference in terms of efficiency)

other things I have noticed on my own, but did not see mentioned here:

-when i have some moister herbs, i find that i can almost get TWO GOOD sessions from one bowl. the first session seems like there is a little less actual vapor, but i get nice and stoned. then when i go back, i'm assuming the herbs are significantly more dried out from the previous session and the vapor seems plentiful and i get another complete session out of a 1/2-3/4 loosely packed bowl.

anyway, i am very curious about the synthetic weed and look forward to hearing some response.

-AC

<--- there's the bag,
Top Bottom