Hot Water Hits - Try this and report back your findings.......

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
caseball2051 said:
DeepFried said:
caseball2051 said:
Physically, it makes some sense, I think.

Warm air is less dense than cold air. So you probably should be able to take in more warm air than cool air, no?
Holy fuck is that funny, you must have been more stoned than I am.
review your high school science.
you better review your grade school science LOL!

DeepFried,

luchiano

steiner666 said:
StickyShisha said:
Back in the 80's, when everyone used acrylic bongs, I had one that was 5 chambers, side by side.
We would put hot water or tea in the first 2. Warm in the next 2. And ice water in the last.
this sounds like either one of the most genius or the most counter-productive ideas in bong smoking history. :lol:

This whole thread has got me thinking tho recently, about whether or not temperature and humidity and all that can help our lungs be more effective at absorbing chemicals from the vapor. I've heard (from pretty god damn stupid and unreliable sources, i'll admit) that the menthol in menthol cigarettes somehow facilitates the absorption of nicotine and such in the lungs. Whether this is true or not, or whether the menthol would work by interacting biologically with the lungs in some way or by simply making the drags feel smoother and more tolerable and therefore easier to take in larger sizes and number, i can't say.

Anyways my mind jumped from there to Vick's Vapor rub, which also has menthol (and eucalyptus oil) in it. Maybe we should rub on some vapor rub before vaporizing, :lol: doubt it. But wouldnt it be cool if there was something simple and cheap that we could change or add to our vaping process that would help our lungs absorb more out of each hit. no question mark there because theres no question, that would be cool.

I really can't decide which i like better, steamy hot or frosty cold. I've been going back and forth trying to decide - and not too fast that i stress my glass lol, my one friend cracked my last bong when he rinsed it out with hot water and immediately switch to ice cold, the idiot.

I think that, since i'm normally a hot-blooded person (stfu and get out of my head Foreigner!) who thinks its too hot when the g/f and others think its too cold, I have a tendency to like cool sensations more than warm maybe. I like how a breath of cool winter air feels on the lungs (not like, sub-zero or anything), but most ppl that i know dont really. I think i'll just vape on it...
The menthol does increase the uptake of nicotine as well many other chemicals by preventing your need of feeling like you need more air when holding your breath and can therefore hold the smoke in longer. It also relaxes the respiratory system so you can take in more smoke/vapor with no problem.

The reason why this method feels so good is because you are using a bong which allows the vapor to go deep into the lungs as much as possible as well as filling up more of the lungs.

Also, the hot water adds moisture to the vapor because more of the chemicals in the herb can pick up moisture more easily than it can with cold water and this adds more moisture to the lungs which help the lungs process the herb more efficiently than if it were dry which makes the lungs work hard to bring blood to the lungs to make more mucus which adds moisture but that takes away from the high somewhat.

An easier an more efficient way to do this method is to get some boveda packs to add moisture to the bud(make sure you break up the bud as much as possible first) and this will be better than just putting hot water in a bong because there will be much more moisture in the vapor from the bud and it will stay warm from the hot air from the vaporizer but don't put cold water in the bong because you won't get as smooth of an effect than you would if the water were warm or room temperature.

If really want to get high, besides eating the herb with spices and other herbs, do this:

1-Prepare your herb by grinding into a fine material and then add moisture with some boveda packs(http://www.bovedadirect.com/)

2-Get a powerlung(http://www.powerlung.com/region/us/) to train your lungs to take in as much air or in this case vapor as possible.

3-Drink peppermint or spearmint tea daily to get your respiratory system to relax so you can inhale slow without needing air and being able to hold a lot of vapor without needing to exhale. Make sure you use some type of soy or nut milk(warm) and not dairy because dairy has proteins which may prevent some chemicals in the mint from being absorbed.

4-Use a whip vaporizer and inhale slow as possible to concentrate the vapor to air ratio.

5-Inhale until your lungs are full, hold as long as possible, and exhale through the nose.

Now prepared to be whacked.

Do a Google search for ventilation and menthol and load breathing and menthol to learn more but I'll give you a start:

http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/156/1/309

"Nasal Inhalation of l-menthol Reduces Respiratory Discomfort Associated with Loaded Breathing

TAKASHI NISHINO, YUGO TAGAITO, and YASUYOSHI SAKURAI

Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Chiba University

To test the hypothesis that stimulation of cold receptors in the upper airway may alleviate the sensation of respiratory discomfort, we investigated the effects of nasal inhalation of l-menthol (a specific stimulant of cold receptors) on the respiratory sensation and ventilation during the loaded breathing in 11 normal subjects. Subjects were asked to rate their sensation of respiratory discomfort using a visual analog scale (VAS) while breathing on a device with a flow-resistive load (180 cm H2O/L/s) or with an elastic load (75.5 cm H2O/L). The effects of inhalation of l-menthol on ventilation and respiratory sensation were evaluated by comparing the steady-state values of ventilatory variables and VAS scores obtained before, during, and after l-menthol inhalation. In 8 of 11 subjects inhalation of strawberry-flavored air instead of l-menthol was performed during loaded breathing. Both during the flow-resistive loading and the elastic loading, inhalation of l-menthol caused a significant reduction in sensation of respiratory discomfort (flow-resistive loading: 62 14 [mean SD] VAS units before inhalation versus 36 16 during inhalation, p < 0.01; elastic loading: 68 13 before inhalation versus 55 17 during inhalation, p < 0.01) without a significant change in breathing pattern and ventilation. Comparison of the effects between the flow-resistive loading and the elastic loading also revealed that the reduction in VAS score was more during the flow-resistive loading than during the elastic loading (p < 0.01). Inhalation of strawberry-flavored air caused neither changes in VAS score nor changes in breathing pattern and ventilation, indicating that olfaction is not a contributing factor in the relief of respiratory discomfort. We concluded that stimulation of cold receptors in the upper airway with nasal inhalation of l-menthol reduces the sensation of respiratory discomfort associated with loaded breathing. This effect is more effective during the flow-resistive loading than during the elastic loading. "

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/70/5/2080

Upper airway cooling and l-menthol reduce ventilation in the guinea pig

G. P. Orani, J. W. Anderson, G. Sant'Ambrogio and F. B. Sant'Ambrogio
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77550.

Cooling of the upper airway, which stimulates specific cold receptors and inhibits laryngeal mechanoreceptors, reduces respiratory activity in unanesthetized humans and anesthetized animals. This study shows that laryngeal cooling affects the pattern of breathing in the guinea pig and assesses the potential role of cold receptors in this response by using a specific stimulant of cold receptors (l-menthol). The response to airflows (30 ml/s, 10-s duration) through the isolated upper airway was studied in 23 anesthetized (urethan, 1 g/kg ip) guinea pigs breathing through a tracheostomy. Respiratory airflow, tidal volume, laryngeal temperature, and esophageal pressure were recorded before the challenges (control), during cold airflows (25 degrees C, 55% relative humidity), and during warm airflows (37 degrees C, saturated) with or without the addition of l-menthol. Whereas warm air trials had no effect, cold air trials, which lowered laryngeal but not nasal temperature, reduced ventilation (VE) to 85% of control, mainly by prolonging expiratory time (TE, 145% of control), an effect abolished by laryngeal anesthesia. Addition of l-menthol to the warm airflow caused a greater reduction in VE (41% of control) by prolonging TE (1,028% of control). Nasal anesthesia markedly reduced the apneogenic effect of l-menthol but did not affect the response to cold air trials. In conclusion, both cooling of the larynx and l-menthol in the laryngeal lumen reduce ventilation. Exposure of the nasal cavity to l-menthol markedly enhances this ventilatory inhibition; considering the stimulatory effect of l-menthol on cold receptors, these results suggest a predominant role of nasal cold receptors in this response.

luchiano,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
You know what i was thinking.... what if my body gets used to this, and normal vaping just doesn't have its punch anymore... :p i hate tolerance breaks...

DevoTheStrange,

Raf007

Retailer
I tried a few times the hot water, and except the sauna effect, I am not sure I really felt more higher.
I will give it more try just to make sure coz it sounds interesting if right ;) and it's kinda fun and has a flavor from when I was 17 and doing the same w/ combustion.

However, on the cons side, I noticed a lost in flavor with hot water.

Raf007,

Beezleb

I remember not long ago people saying you can only absorb so much per hit, so larger draws were no good compared to smaller draws but now people are saying to use hot water to expand the lungs to get a better hit?

Do I understand this right?

Beezleb,

lwien

Beezleb said:
I remember not long ago people saying you can only absorb so much per hit, so larger draws were no good compared to smaller draws but now people are saying to use hot water to expand the lungs to get a better hit?

I don't know, Beez. I don't know if it's just the lung expansion that is happening that allows one to take a bigger hit, or if in fact, the warm moisture is allowing your lungs to process the vapor faster.

For me, when I do this versus taking hits from a bong with either ice, or ice water, or room temp water, or no water at all, I notice that I get higher quicker while at the same time, exhaling less vapor than I normally would which leads me to believe that the warm moisture is allowing my lungs to process more THC quicker.

lwien,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
Beezleb said:

Beezleb, I do not feel any difference with hot water except that the toke is really really smooth. that is the extent of the differences that i note. no getting higher, no being able to inhale more, no more immediate effects, none of that for me.

however, the toke is SO smooth that i do recommend you try this out when you feel inclined to. even if you don't feel the enhanced effects lwein and others report, i think the silky toking the hot water facilitates is very cool.

EDIT: Luchiano, thanks for your post. that was very interesting and useful. i need to read all that all over again when my mind is not racing so fast but just wanted to stop by and say thanks!

happy vaping o my brothers :tup:

obelisk,

NoSmoke

I tried it out and so far I'm thinking the moisture is what I was lacking, I think may help my sinus issues which seem to get really bad after "big" sessions, thanks Iwien I would have never thought of it, I just assumed "hot water, yuckl." The whole time. Still have to give it some more test runs, but right now I'm liking it, no noticible difference in high though, big moisture difference, which makes vaping so nice, moisture is what vapor was lacking and cold water just isn't as nice, I was very suprised to say the least.

NoSmoke,

lwien

NoSmoke said:
I just assumed "hot water, yuckl."
EXACTLY. I thought that too, and it's the only reason why it took me so long to try this out after hearing about it over a year ago.

So the general consensus is that this is a good thing. While some may not experience a higher high or a quicker onset as I and some others have experienced, it seems that everyone is at least experiencing a much smoother hit. Nice.

lwien,
could the reduction in visible exhale possibly have nothing to do with extra absorption? I mean breathe out on a warm day- no visible breath on exhale, breathe out on a cold day..is that vapor?...no its condensed moisture from your breath. Just wondering...

thevapedcrusader,

lwien

wunderkind said:
lwien said:
...hey lwien,
am I assuming correctly that a stem from the PD/WDZ/MZ type of vapes meshes well with the downstem on this HVY mini beaker? No additional tubing required? Do you own this glass piece yourself? I like that it's made in the US! Looks nice. Thanks for the info here;)
Yes, I own this glass piece myself and yes, you are assuming correctly. I can't speak for the WDZ or MZ's, but the PD's stem fits perfectly into the downstem without any need for additional tubing. There is absolutely no air leakage between the PD's stem and the HVY's downstem.

lwien,

lwien

thevapedcrusader said:
could the reduction in visible exhale possibly have nothing to do with extra absorption? I mean breathe out on a warm day- no visible breath on exhale, breathe out on a cold day..is that vapor?...no its condensed moisture from your breath. Just wondering...
Yeah, but I get a lot more vapor clouds when I don't use any water at all. Same with room temp water.

lwien,

yolky

I've thought about this idea a while a go but never tried it. I read this thread yesterday and decided that today would be a good day to try this. I ground up my herbs and packed a bowl of some nice diablo, got some really hot water out of the faucet and filled my RooR (beaker style). I then proceeded to vrip a huge bowl, hot water style.

Verdict: It does feel smoother, thereby allowing one to take slightly bigger rips. For those that complain of the dryness that vapor rips can give, (me being one of them) this is a nice solution.

I would however have to say:
1. I don't feel the effect any more so than if I used room temperature water.
2. The taste of the herb was much less detectable, not necessarily a good thing in my opinion.
3. Regardless of 1 & 2, I will be switching it up once in a while with the hot water as it does feel pretty
cool :p inhaling the hot vapor. :peace:

yolky,
lwien, I have another question. I see that you also have a vaporstar. Have you used it with the HVY beaker? I'm thinking of going this route for my first vape setup, then getting a PD down the road when they are available again. Thoughts?

wunderkind,

lwien

I've only used the VaporStar a few times but didn't like it. Huge bowl as compared to the PD and I'm really into efficiency. Thinking about putting that along with my VG up for sale. Never use them anymore.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lwien said:
I've only used the VaporStar a few times but didn't like it. Huge bowl as compared to the PD and I'm really into efficiency. Thinking about putting that along with my VG up for sale. Never use them anymore.
Really? Ive used PD size loads in my vaporstar with good effect... no loss of efficiency. In fact I used to load my Vaporstar by sucking into a PD tube and dumping the contents into the bowl... now I can visually eyeball the same amount from doing this so much.
With the VS its all about how you use you lighter and draw speed... can get really nice light vapor, or thick as hell hits on the verge of combustion.

I use my Vaporstar when I want to reach the temps my PD won't get to.
Tis also good vape for hash...

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

Man, my PD gets as toasty as I'd ever want it to get. ABV ends up being a VERY dark brown.

Be that as it may, my VG and VS is now in the loving hands of someone else, or should I say, hurtling through space towards someone else.

I think my next two purchases is going to be a swing for concentrates, which I haven't gotten into yet, but seriously considering it, and maybe an LB. The swings over at ALT seem really nice being that they don't use any solder to attach the ti plate to the swing, but this is fodder for another thread.

But thanks for the tip on the VS. Other readers will no doubt find it very useful.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Yeah I got my eye on an oil globe.... you going to try using your swing with hot water?

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
Yeah I got my eye on an oil globe.... you going to try using your swing with hot water?
Sure. I'll probably go thru the same experimentation that I did with vapor. Try it with ice, try it with ice water, try it with room temp water, try it with hot water, try it with no water. Kinda fun doing all that.

I know we're getting a bit off topic here, but I wonder how efficient using concentrates is versus flowers. I mean, if I used nothing but concentrates for a week, would I end up spending more money than if I vaped just buds? Wonder if there's a big difference in this respect.

lwien,
Top Bottom