Hot Water Hits - Try this and report back your findings.......

lwien

Why use ice with hot water? They counter each other out. Might as well use room temp water.

lwien,

StickyShisha2

lwien said:
Why use ice with hot water? They counter each other out. Might as well use room temp water.
back when i was a smoker, i would use a multi-chamber water pipe with hot tea in the first chamber and ice in the last. This would give thick, moist, cool smoke without the stale yellow smoke you get when hot dry smoke hits ice.

StickyShisha2,

Bananiq

My theory about the higher potency of hot water hits is, that the hot water releases more H2O molecules to the air which can trap the active compounds flying by, consequently they are being absorbed in alveoli more effectively .... basically with hot water, we are not wasting herb-clouds by exhaling them, because bigger part is absorbed by lungs. However, I dunno if this assumption is correct.

Bananiq,

moonlit knight

I always like to have long hot shower before toking and get the bathrrom nice and steamy and just chill there with my bong and some music and I've found the hot water in my bong works really well and gives this awesome relaxed feeling of being in a sauna. I still use I ce occasionally as well though cos I ifnd hot water and ice can be equally effective.

moonlit knight,

abhs

i got my bong a few days ago. first hit i took through it was hot water. i didn't know beforehand that hot water decreases the amount of visible vapor so i had a wtf moment for a bit.

i read through this thread. doesn't seem like anyone came up with an explanation, although we all agree the hot water helps.

i can think of a couple reasons. not sure which is/are the primary cause. some guesses that i checked up on -

1. response to cold air. to limit heat loss, our bodies may have evolved to limit cold air intake. multiple smaller breaths are easier to warm than fewer big breaths.

2. intermolecular forces in water. the colder a substance is, the stronger the bonds between molecules. it's more difficult for vapor to diffuse through cold water then hot water.

3. moisture. more moisture produced from hot water yields higher total vapor pressure. increased pressure expands lungs, improves their efficiency.

links

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/81/4/1739
http://archinte.highwire.org/cgi/content/summary/75/4/233

i can't access pubmed right now so maybe i'll look more later. i'm leaning towards it being optimal for our bodies to process air at the same ambient temperature and with some moisture.

abhs,

JagerPuck

David
I hooked up my little footer bong with steaming hot water and hit it, and I felt like it was smoother as far as the smoke was concerned. I didnt really too much like holding in the hot air though.

JagerPuck,

lwien

lepstadder said:
Why would anyone try this in the summer...
Because, in my experience, it provides a smoother hit while being much easier on my lungs while allowing my lungs to more efficiently process THC. Why would I only want these things in the winter?

lwien,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
I tried this a while ago, took a bong rip with pretty hot water, I liked the moistrosity but it was too hot. I'm thinking one chamber hot water, one chamber ice water but that is not friendly on the glass.

bluntfaced,

lwien

Guys, you shouldn't be using boiling water. I don't know how hot the water is that is coming out of your faucet, but I've been using it as hot as it can get out of the tap, and I am not experiencing anything like hot vapor. The water is hot, but by the time the vapor enters my mouth, it is lukewarm and moist, but no where near hot or no where even near uncomfortably warm, for that matter.

lwien,

rabican

Ultrabreath is a decent device, im not sure how much its helping but i do feel calmer after i used it (since im focusing on my breathing)...sort like meditation.

After doing hot water hits a few times, i dont notice any difference in the high. I do enjoy doing it once and awhile but i think i like ice better. Its def fun to switch it up and try it every once and awhile.

rabican,

lepstadder

lepstadder wrote:

hot water leaches toxic metals from plumbing

meh not really
I dont just spout at the mouth for fun

From the EPA'a website

http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/lead/lead1.html

The second step is to never cook with or consume water from the hot-water tap. Hot water dissolves more lead more quickly than cold water. So, do not use water taken from the hot tap for cooking or drinking, and especially not for making baby formula. (If you need hot water, draw water from the cold tap and heat it on the stove.) Use only thoroughly flushed water from the cold tap for any consumption.
So meh lead is awesome!

lwien

Wow. Never knew this. Great info, lep. Fuck, now I'm a bit concerned. Cold water and then heat up on the stove or microwave before going into the beaker? I'm thinkin'.......yeah.

lwien,

rabican

i didnt know that either...yeah i guess microwaving filtered water would be easiest.

rabican,

lwien

Yeah, I have a Pur water filter pitcher which filters out lead, so I'm thinkin' of using that and then nuking it in the microwave.

lwien,

abhs

i was going to leave this alone since i'm too busy to get into an internet spat but i don't want anyone reading this thread to get worried.

first, the link to the EPA website is an article from 1993. lead contamination was a more serious problem then due to older piping. lead actually hasn't been used in US piping for most of this century, but the solder would leach adulterates till relatively recently.

secondly, that link suggests lead contamination being a problem mostly to pregnant women and infants. if you are a pregnant woman or an infant i suggest you delay vaping until a later time.

thirdly, lead - if it even is a problem in your house water - is a problem in drinking water. drinking water != gas. please understand that lead in your bong water will not evaporate to enter your lungs.

i do not suggest going through an additional step of heating cold water to put it in your bong. this really won't make any difference other than causing you extra time. but i'm just some guy on the internet so do what you want.

abhs,

toxicc

E11001420
substances are more soluble in hot solvents so you will remove more water soluble stuff than using cold water.

toxicc,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
This could be dangerous for glass but I was thinking you could have hot water in the ashcatcher and cold water in the bong and that might be priime

bluntfaced,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Just tried it with my whip, then with my bag. Great results with both. Its kind of wierd how big of a hit you can get. Its takes a bit getting used to tho IMO.

JDSupreme,

Egzoset

Banned
Nice reading. Is it heat or humidity which helps the lungs to do their work most?

What if someone were to use mist as what's generated in ultrasonic humidifiers?

dsc01743.jpg

(In this case that's only the ultrasonic element as seen in gardening applications)

Mist is no vapor, in short Google says it's a cold water droplets suspension floating in air. Should mist prove to cause effects similar to hot water then that would most probably mean humidity is the key.

Egzoset,
Top Bottom