Discontinued herbalAire

aGrandma

dorkus_molorkus said:
hi all,

I have had my HA for less than 2weeks & its my 1st vape & I love it.
but I find sometimes it makes me cough heaps & heaps.

??

I have the SAME PROBLEM - too much coughing. Can anyone advise - how can you use the vaporizer and not cough lungs out?

aGrandma,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
the coughing will subside once the vapor cleans out your lungs. takes about 4 to 6 weeks after you stop burning the herb.

aGrandma said:
dorkus_molorkus said:
hi all,

I have had my HA for less than 2weeks & its my 1st vape & I love it.
but I find sometimes it makes me cough heaps & heaps.

??

I have the SAME PROBLEM - too much coughing. Can anyone advise - how can you use the vaporizer and not cough lungs out?

Are you direct drawing out of the HA? I always found that to be incredibly irritating and hot on the throat, among the harshest vapors out there. Using bag fill, or better yet, using it with water will create a much more pleasant experience.

charliedontsurf,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
mrfloopa said:
steiner666 said:
I find airflow of ha (aside from when using stock whip) to be high enough.

And is the stock whip really useless? Even if used with the pump?. With a new whip set-up, I know it will not be as amazing as something like a dedicated whip vape, but would I need to buy a separate vape for the occasional get-so-high-you-forget-the-world(giggle fits kinda thing), or would the bags/modified whip suffice?

I've found the whip useless. Haven't tried with the pump. I'm getting amazing results so far with direct draw. Still in testing phase but very pleased.

aGrandma said:
We don't grind it, we put in about 2-3 pea-sized chunks. Turn the temp to about 350 and try it when the light turns amber. After trying a few times, we turn it up a little until it's up to 375 - and never get a good vapor using the whip. What are we doing wrong? Thanks in advance.:|

Still new to this myself, but forget the whip until you find a decent replacement. Try using 4-6 half pea sized chunks. Turn it to 325 and when the light turns, wait another 2-3 mins. Use direct draw to breathe in slow and deep. It will kind of tickle the back of your throat. Hold it in. Go to 350-360 once the tickle stops. The mouth piece gets kind of hot, but put your lips on the rounded part, NOT the flat part. I've had pretty visible vapor that way. About 7 hits at each temp with 1 pea sized chunk. Nothing like smoke clouds, but that's a good thing. Theory is, visible vapor is wasted vapor. Bags also work well for visible vapor. I start at 350-360 for them.

Try it in a dark room with the TV on. It should be easier to see the vapor that way. I was a little let down at first with the lack of visible vapor until I realized how medicated I was. This thing blows me away. If it makes you cough, the bags are a lot smoother. Direct draw does irritate the throat a little, but nowhere near as bad as combustion. I'm still waiting to vaporbong, though. That might be the smoothest way.

*Edit for clarity. It really blows me away lol.

steiner666

Serial vapist
Magic9 said:
Still new to this myself, but forget the whip until you find a decent replacement. Try using 4-6 half pea sized chunks. Turn it to 325 and when the light turns, wait another 2-3 mins. Use direct draw to breathe in slow and deep. It will kind of tickle the back of your throat. Hold it in. Go to 350-360 once the tickle stops. The mouth piece gets kind of hot, but put your lips on the rounded part, NOT the flat part. I've had pretty visible vapor that way.

I think you get the best results doing direct inhale with one of the white straws in the mouthpiece, with one of the black plastic bag mouthpieces on the other end of the straw. This is a lot cooler to use, and you wont burn your lips on it like you can if you're just sucking on the mouthpiece or the straw esp cause those get kinda hot.

aGrandma

You guys are awesome- thanks for all the good advice. We're using the whip only. I think it's a big adjustment from smoking a pipe to vaping with a whip. Seems like we want to SEE the vapor. Maybe that's not a good thing. We've wasted so much herb - it's so expensive. Grrrr.
If you put more in the crucible than you need in one sitting, do you turn the unit off and is it still good later? Or do you have to use it all in one sitting? What if you remove the crucible when it's hot still, will that save the herb from burning up?
It seems like with this herbalaire if we just put a pea-sized piece in it, we never get a hit and it's brown. Seems like it needs to be packed down more by using more herb (or does it need to be ground up or broken up using fingers?) In other words, seems like if the screen on the bottom is covered completely it works better. Is that what you've found or do you put a smaller chunk in there and it burns ok?

aGrandma,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
^^^ Is it turning light brown (tan)? Or chocolate brown? What temps?
If i have more than I need in there, I'll either just turn it off and hit it 2-3 times while it's off to help cool it off, or dump the crucible into a tin box thing (like Altoids). The crucible cools off in 20-30 seconds.

So when you vape a pea sized amount, you don't get any effects? Or just can't see it? Some have found smaller or ground herb gives you denser hits due to more surface area. So far, I think I agree (more testing needed). Definitely ditch the whip though. I'm going to try Steiners suggestion tonight. I've tried the straw and it got super hot. I never thought to put a bag mouthpiece on it.

Magic9,
Reactions: MG23

Corleone

my advice to anyone is don't use the whip, the bag system is better

break up the herb into small pieces, and pack it tight so air doesn't get through easy

then put it in the vape and let it heat up to 360, then once its heated let it sit for another minute, then vape it

take a big hit, and hold it in as long as you can

you can also push the screen down on the crucible, about halfway, then you can turn it upside down

you want to cover the whole screen with herb

350-365 for a good high, 385+ for a sleepy combustion type stone

Corleone,

sua

hey guys,
I'm new to this forum, and to using vaporizers. Got that out of the way.
So I've decided I'm going to buy a vaporizer. After a reasonable amount of research I think the Herbalaire is the best vape at its price point, mainly for its simplicity (no glass, no super fancy electronics, good customer service).

But. I've mailed HA the company, and they let me know that there IS a new model on its way, supposedly scheduled for December.

Perhaps you would like to read this response, I hope HA does not mind me publishing this.

herbalAire said:
Thank you for the e-mail, we are currently working on the next version of the HerbalAire. We have been working on this model for quite some time now, it will have a digital display as well as a dog-bone connector for the pump which will be located near the air intake of the current version, this will allow the user to operate the full system with only one outlet. The mouthpiece's however will not change at all as the patent for valve's and mouthpiece's is extremely strict and guarded, we find most users don't have a problem with leaking vapor after the first inhale. This next version of the HerbalAire could possibly be released around December of this year. We do not have any definant date of release at this time, the new unit will retail for only $50.00 USD more than the original, and we will also continue to sell the original unit for users that do not feel that digital display is necessary.

So now I'm in doubt. The alternative I'm considering is the Arizer EQ by the way.

I have tried the Volcano digit and classic by the way, which are good but too expensive, especially for their features in my opinion. Can't even control fan speed. And to be honest their payload system is not even that practical. Sure, accessories can alleviate functionality shortcomings but it's too pricy.
I'm a poor college student living in Amsterdam, so price and ruggedness are big factors.

Basically, should I wait for the newer version? The old model might drop in price too.
(The current one is 280 dollars in the Netherlands.)

sua,

mrfloopa

Vappy
Sounds like they're trying to lure people away from the "fanciness" of the EQ by adding a digital display and one electrical socket instead of 2. But if it keeps the crappy whip, I don't see it doing much good at the same price as its main competition. I think a lot of how this vape got its following is by being cheaper than the alternatives. Once people noticed it was cheaper, they end up reading more and seeing how much better it might be than other similar units. Good luck to HA with the new unit, but the EQ seems to have the momentum in the digital do-it-all vape.

mrfloopa,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah it sounds like they're making "improvements" in all the wrong places. Most ppl i know who bought the HA prefer the analog temp control for longevity and durability, the addition of digital electronic makes both of those things questionable, as well as unnecessarily raising the price, which is another strength the HA has over competition currently. If they raise price by $50 it will make it seem less appealing to most ppl who are looking at it or the EQ, esp ppl who dont appreciate or understand the main difference between the two vapes, which isnt temp control/readout, presence or lack of glass, or anything so trivial, its the beastly extraction capabilities.

Any changes made to the HA should be ones to improve the ease of use, like valve system or sturdier mouthpiece fitting, or less messy way of emptying crucible (attach it to mouthpiece so it pulls out with it), or even just including finer mesh stock screens especially in the mouthpiece, since EVERYONE who buys an HA that i know of always adds finer screens. I also think they should make the bag mouthpieces have a length of tubing/straw that extends a ways up into the bag to avoid the bags getting sticky and stuck together from the vapor flowing past the bunched up area around the bottom of the bag where it attaches. Granted, the ease of use of the HA is already pretty good, and the last two things i mentioned are easy enough mods to make on your own... but them along with better stock whip would make the HA use much better right out of the box, rather than ppl having to get online and find this forum and then this thread to get info like this.

I can honestly say i never ones thought to myself while using the HA "This is nice, but i want a digital temp display so i dont have to use the hashmarks around the knob..." or "man, needing 2 outlets is a pain in the ass". :/

one mild cosmetic sort of thing i've always thought they should do is have teh LEDs in the bottom of the HA change colors like the indicator above the knob.

mrfloopa

Vappy
Puts me in a hurry, though. I wanted to get the H2.1, but was still looking around for resellers. Hopefully I don't lose out on a quality product because of the price. I definitely want the analog version.

mrfloopa,
I agree with Steiner almost 100%. The improvement he lists are the ones which are really needed, not a BS digital display. Finer screens, a better mouthpiece, better whip, possibly a valve system, and the like are what are REALLY needed. In many ways, the HA is sold as a crippled vape which needs additional pieces to come into its own. A wider, more stable base would be nice too.

I would also love to see a modified crucible which stays cooler by whichever means, cutting down on unwanted, always-on conduction. I may sound like a broken record but its one of the things I like least about the HA, and it makes me always want to power through a bowl so I dont waste any.

A plunger for the bowl should also be developed, akin to the volcanos, so that material is forced to the bottom of the crucible, as most of us already do with a screen jammed in.

I kind of feel the same about the HA that I do about my 80s BMW 5 series... Its one HELL of a unit, but I would still change so many things to my own preference whcih IMO would really make it superior. Wheres my reading lights, you krauts!? :lol:

Thanks for sharing this information with the forum, Sua. It was a pretty tits first post.

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
sua said:
Thanks.

Well, I ordered the herbalAire today.

I'm interested in the 'vapebong' system though. Will the EHLE 250mL with 14.5 mm joint be a suitable candidate?

Pretty mch anything with a 14mm joint will work. Even most 18mm bong with a reducer will work. I have one bong where the ha almost doesn't fit because of the angle of he joint is too vertical so the ha it's the main tube. It still works fine though!

Next ask yourself what style of bong is right for you. Ehle could be just right, too small, Not enough filtration. You'll have to try to know for sure. But I will tell you the bong definetly plays a big role in your vape bong satisfaction. Which Is why so many of us have collections...

notmyrealUSERname,

Egzoset

Banned
My search on Google in hope to figure out what a "Dog-Bone" connector might look like has led me to this:

dogbone3fr.jpg

I find it a bit vague...

:ninja:

Egzoset,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Egzoset said:
My search on Google in hope to figure out what a "Dog-Bone" connector might look like has led me to this:

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6580/dogbone3fr.jpg

I find it a bit vague...

i think theyre the connections you often see in the power.cables.for.laptops , like where the cable piece with the actual AC outlet plug on it plugs into the little power brick/transformer thing. ive also seen them used with smoe game consoles power cables. if you point the end of the plugs at you they are kinda bone shaped, or hourglss, with a pinhole in each side.

and i personally think ~12" / 250ml tubes or a bubbler work best with most vapes, since it takes a couple seconds of drawing hot air over the herb to start producing vapor, and then a few more to actually milk the tube. smaller pieces are at least quicker to milk , so youre not already at 1/3 lung capacity by the time you get the air out of there and start getting some vapor, like can happen eith big tubes. and they dont always encourge taking super huge, wasteful rips... they can, but you dont feel as obligated to as with a big capacity piece. since i def dont think id want to use ha with a bub unless i had some long, soft silicone tubing to connect the two of course, so yea for the direct insertion style usage id def go with a tube like those. along with diffused downstem, it would be perfect imo.

steiner666,
Reactions: MG23

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
steiner666 said:
Egzoset said:

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6580/dogbone3fr.jpg

I find it a bit vague...

i think theyre the connections you often see in the power.cables.for.laptops , like where the cable piece with the actual AC outlet plug on it plugs into the little power brick/transformer thing. ive also seen them used with smoe game consoles power cables. if you point the end of the plugs at you they are kinda bone shaped, or hourglss, with a pinhole in each side.

Yup, thats exactly it.

Egzoset, I saw your dog bone blanket pic when i searched too, along with these...

elec_cord4.jpg

image_760.jpg

50f-power-grip-dogbone-adapter-55183.jpg

Purpl3_Haz3,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Learner said:
steiner666 said:
its the beastly extraction capabilities.

compared to the EQ?

Compared to any vape i've used (see sig). I can't directly compare to the EQ from experience, but the HA is well known for its ability to extract a varying amount of vapor from the abv out of any other vape, and from what other users who have owned both vapes have indicated, teh EQ isnt an exception to the rule.

But its not just the level/thoroughness of the extraction, it's the fact that it's impossible for it to burn the herb in the process of doing so, even at max temp. And the fact that grinding is totally optional, something i havent seen any other vape claim, because the air penetrates even whole nugs all the way through, wheres most vapes would just roast the exposed surface area and leave the innards practically untouched. Whole chunks of herb come out of the HA and crumble to dust after i vape a bunch of bags while temp ramping up to max temp, if I tried vaping chunks in any other vape they would come out scorched, or damn close, on teh outside and still green in the middle.

SD_haze

Ive heard HA does bags more efficiently than direct draw, is there an easy way to stick the bag mouthpiece into a 14mm downstem? Or a cheap adapter?

With the HA stuck into a bong just slid on, can you use the pump to auto-fill the bong? Does it work well?
Or would that only work with a whip attached? (And DD > whip for running thru a bong right?)

SD_haze,

dorkus_molorkus

SD_haze said:
Ive heard HA does bags more efficiently than direct draw, is there an easy way to stick the bag mouthpiece into a 14mm downstem? Or a cheap adapter?

With the HA stuck into a bong just slid on, can you use the pump to auto-fill the bong? Does it work well?
Or would that only work with a whip attached? (And DD > whip for running thru a bong right?)

''Ive heard HA does bags more efficiently than direct draw, is there an easy way to stick the bag mouthpiece into a 14mm downstem?'

I just checked & it seems to fit ok, with a decent sort of seal with a 14mm downstem

The one time I ran the pump while vape bonging I found that the pump was pumping the air faster than I could inhale, and it was wasteful. For me, the pumps only for bags.

I have only been vaping & now vapebonging exclusively for a couple of weeks, and I am still finding the sweet spot for mine.
but I am finding that while I am still consuming the same as when I was combusting (1 reason for getting into vaping was to spend less on herbs, but still get to be blazed alot).:p

I find that less is more, just put a bit more into the crucible (aka dont be a tightass) & I get a lot more vapor (duh) from the bong, but its about 50%longer timewise before I want another hit for only about 20-30% more herb. I have to tell myslef to put just a bit more in & i'm always glad I did vs telling myself to use less and find I'm going away not satisfied & therefore having more, sooner.

does that make sense??

Just a newbs observations, I hope it helped in a small way.

FYI, I have drilled out my HA stem & just vape thru a nice(ish) glass bong with a 14mm stem that fits the HA stem perfect. I no longer use bags or whip, just thru the 14mm into the bong.
it rocks!

SD_haze

Few more questions,

How well can it do concentrates?
-Does it do all of these? kief, bubble hash, wax, oil
-Does it work if you just put it on top?
-If i was putting it in my bong it would get flipped, wouldnt that mess up a sticky hash addition on the top?

How does the HA's efficiency compare to the aromazap/PD?

-thanks!

SD_haze,

steiner666

Serial vapist
SD_haze said:
Few more questions,

How well can it do concentrates?
-Does it do all of these? kief, bubble hash, wax, oil
-Does it work if you just put it on top?
-If i was putting it in my bong it would get flipped, wouldnt that mess up a sticky hash addition on the top?

How does the HA's efficiency compare to the aromazap/PD?

-thanks!

as far as extracts/concentrates, i've only ever used the HA with qwiso goo from cleaning it and my other vapes. it worked quite well, i was worried about it being on the opposite side of the herbscreen, and that it wouldnt be as good as say the ssv was with herbscreening the stuff. but it vaped the hell out of it and everything else in the crucible, and gave substantially more hits than a normal herb-only load, as it should. so in the end i really cant complain about its performance there. if its extra gooey stuff you could probably put a thin layer of herb on the bottom, then put in whatever it is, and then a little bit more herb on top of it, then an extra screen on top of it all to hold it in place at the bottom. or in your case with vapebonging it, you could also load crucible in upsidedown maybe so that when you have unit inverted into bowl its actually rightside up.

with kief id just definitely make sure you install finer screens... but tbh you shouldnt really even have kief cause you dont need to grind, so you can just avoid the hassle of separating your kief from the buds and vape it all up together. my fav for vaping kief is still the LB tho.

and, imo, the HA isnt nearly as easy on the stash as one of the log vapes are. the HAs strongpoint is being able to squeeze every last bit of vapor out of whatever quality herb you throw at it, but i think it does have a minimum load size (at least to get what i consider to be a satisfying experience) thats a good bit higher than what those skinny little stems need to put out decent vapor. but the logs are set temp, small loads so that also means that if you dont have HQ herb it will not put out much, but you'll get nice clouds with good stuff, but still not as thick as the HA can make it, fi you like thick clouds. both vapes have their strongpoints that balance out the others weaknesses, and thats why i highly suggest ppl own one of each :)

steiner666,
To answer some of your questions, Haze:

Pumped vapebonging works somewhat well in my experience, providing a less dense but still adequate vapor, and well able to push air through a downstem. I've heard the Extreme Q fan fails in this. It is again less dense than if you inhaled yourself. If someone suffered from respiratory issues or the like, they could really fill tubes with the pump and simply empty them once done, requiring less "work" for their respiratory system.

Concentrates need to be handled with care, would need to be sandwiched between screens or the like. It's not made for it, and some adaptations will need to be made. You could maybe even fubar your HA if you were extremely, comically silly with it and some forms of some concentrates that some people might use. :lol: Putting it on a herbal substrait would almost certainly be best.

I've never used a log vape, but suffice it to say the HA is famous for extremely thorough extraction, but is also infamous in my view for having such a very hot bowl which causes always-on conduction vaporization. No one else seems to bitch about it. All that considered, you can still drop in very little and get what seems like quite alot.

Steiner, as a old hand, points out great advantages, such as being able to use solid nuggets, and that it's basically impossible to combust.

Top Bottom