Discontinued herbalAire

I'd rather lose some vapor to condensation than have a constant stream of vapor being produced while no one is inhaling due to undesirable conduction vaporization (material being in physical contact with the rocket-hot crucible). Maybe it would be less of a problem than I think.

charliedontsurf,

spacin_mason

The Dude
One of the reasons i bought the HA was because it doesnt release the vapor being made while its on, since its not forced air the vapor sits in the chamber not leaking out of the whip. The only way it releases is if you are applying air pressure to it...at least thats my understanding of it. i have never seen vapor escaping from my unit unless the pump is on.
Again im no expert :|

on a side note, does anyone vapor-bong with their HA, if so how is it? I am thinking of getting the necessary pieces to start doing it, but i feel like its not sturdy enough. i don't know i would like someone who does it pretty often to give me some input :)

spacin_mason,
Reactions: MG23
Carefully put your little finger in that crucible, it's hot as hell. As a rule of thumb, you might assume that if you don't want to be putting your flesh against it, that it's hot enough to start releasing some essential oils at the very least. Even at 340ish, material dropped into the crucible creates an almost instantaneous aroma, indicating what I've suggested. The iolite's heating method creates a similar condition to a greater extent and is the entire heating principle of the device.

Vapebonging has been discussed in the thread quite a bit, you can actually use it with a 14.4mm GonG stem right off, and can use the pump to fill tubes for you. The vapor tends to be less dense than DBV or glass vapobowl or the like IME. I haven't tried it with tubing to tube yet.

As I talk all this shit about the HA, I'll also say that, IMO, it is a better bag-blower vape than the Volcano, and is far more efficient despite all unwanted conduction. The lack of a valve on the bag's mouthpiece is obviously a drag and a oversight.

charliedontsurf,
I'm new to forum, this is my first post. All I can say is I love my HA2.1 I've used This an Extreme Q, and Volcano, The HA is definitely my vape of choice. Those 18 tiny jets make my life. LONG LIVE THE HERBALAIRE! VIVE LA VAPORATION!

SETH_exp_X,
Along side SETH_exp_x I'm also new to the forum. I've used a volcano and ive used the HA 2.1. My best investment i must say. It does a great job with any herb! Makes a mighty fine brown residue to. Good for cooking,like brownies and stuff

Growinyourchron,

BradSR20

Hello,

I have had an herbalaire2.1 for a 2 or so years now (affectionately named "Herb Dean" after our favorite UFC ref), and have recently put it on the backburner due to the MFLB's ease of use.

I love herb dean and want to bring him back into action, but have had trouble finding out some few things. I've skimmed through this thread, but cannot find concise answers. I'm hoping the old guard of herbalaire champs will chime in with some knowledge

- Any recommended pumps? I lost my original one, and was using an air pump from a local fish store. I can't help but be bothered by the fact that I'm sucking in impure air from the pump. Are there better ones out here? It is primarily (a.k.a. always) used as a bag vape, so this is important

-vapor bonging? Really want to try, but ive never owned a bong in my life. Not sure where to start. Fairly up to speed on vaporizers and vape technology, but Don't know where to start with upstems, downstems, sidestems, etc

-One of the feet fell off, any way to get a new one? Subsequently lost the broken foot too...

Any help would be appreciated, Herb Dean needs to spar a few more rounds

Thank you

BradSR20,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi BradSR20,

Two pages ago i've shown how the "impure" air path issue could be solved:

It worked for me.

;)

Egzoset,

BradSR20

I saw that... but I didn't want to resurrect an old thread trying to hit you up on how to build it? Would you care running me through it really quick?

Sadly, I just realized today for the first time that I can turn the HA upside down to fill up a vapor bong. On top of that, my friend has a bong with a broken stem. Crazy.

thank you

BradSR20,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
BradSR20 said:
I saw that... but I didn't want to resurrect an old thread trying to hit you up on how to build it? Would you care running me through it really quick?

Sadly, I just realized today for the first time that I can turn the HA upside down to fill up a vapor bong. On top of that, my friend has a bong with a broken stem. Crazy.

thank you

From what i understand, it is constructed as follows;

You Need;

3 - 2 or 3 liter bottles
1 - Vape bag
1 - pump
2(or more) - sections of whip
1 - roll of tape (duct, packing tape, etc)
1 - scissors

Cut the bottom off of the 3 bottles, and the top off of one. Slide you vape bag through the bottle with no top or bottom, then Slide the two bottles with the bottoms cut off into the one with the top and bottom cut off(green sectioning egzoset's pic) now tape up the bottles together. There needs to be a hole in one of the bottle caps to connect the bag to the HA. Then you need to cut a small hole in the bottle contraception somewhere. Run a section of whip from that hole to the air INTAKE on the pump.

When you turn on the pump, it sucks out the air around the bag in the bottles, making it expand, and fill with vapor. Ode the bag has filled the bottles, stop the pump, and disconnect from the HA, and inhale.

Purpl3_Haz3,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi BradSR20,

The instructions from above are suitable except there are a couple details missing, one of them being the need to avoid airflow obstruction because of an inflated bag meeting the cavity's internal wall prematurely: i found that closedly spaced "cushions" (package foam bits) loosely aligned as a row on one side will provide a continuous vacuum path throughout the whole cavity. This trick was used in my initial prototype, actually:

We get a better view of the cushions in this picture but lets not forget that my 1st experiment didn't work as expected, which is why the finished version looks as shown in my previous reply.

My next tip is about reinforcing the cavity wall somewhat. To do that the cuts need to be accurate and you must be ready to risk many attempts: heat up a teflon pan covered with a film of vegetable oil and have a large glass of cold water handy. You don't want to fry anything here but the heat needs to be sufficient to quickly soften the plastic material. If done at the right pace, sitting a section in the hot pan will create a round regular edge because of gravity... It happens in no time so the shape must be frozen instantly, hence the need to cool that hot pan with water. It works, that 's how i did it.

Other structuring elements like wooden rims should work too but i wished to keep it dead simple.

:p

Egzoset,

BradSR20

Thank you both Purpl3_Haz3 and Egzoset, I will try it out this weekend hopefully. Pretty awesome to see fluid dynamics at work.

BradSR20,

spacin_mason

The Dude
another question about whips, would this fit the HA?
vaporwarehouse
it looks like its the right size but i want to know for sure, and i would rather order it from that site just because its so much cheaper than the HA site!

spacin_mason,

OO

Technical Skeptical
egzoset, would air make its way into your bag if you don't plug the hole where your mouth goes while the pump is on?

OO,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi,

In my present vacuum system there's only one entry point leading to the bag's internal space (where vapor collects), this entry point was built as follows (i'll try to stick to HerbalAire's own terms)...

For the assembly of my "ShotGun" accessory i used:

1 Teflon MouthPiece Extension

+

2 Easy-Make (Black "X" shaped) Bag-MouthPieces

+

1 Bottle Lid (with a hole drilled at the center)

+

3 Bottle Sections (2 long with their top neck and 1 short from the middle part)

+

Duct tape, packing foam bits, a drilling tool with drill bits, a hot glue gun, etc...

:science:

At 1st i inserted my Teflon MouthPiece Extension into the air-tight hole i made in the Bottle Lid, then i joined together the short sections of two Easy-Make (Black "X" shaped) Bag-MouthPieces using that modified Teflon MouthPiece Extension... The result was a Bottle Lid with a convenient mouthpiece on the external side and a proper bag attachment stub on the internal side. Next i inserted that assembly into my vacuum cavity (built by joining soft-drink bottle sections together with duct tape) and then i screwed the lid in place. The space between that vacuum cavity and its vapor bag being connected to the pump's vacuum (sucking) terminal via PVC tubing it became possible to force my vapor bag to inflate using the pump's sucking power.

Now, to answer your question...

;)

If the contraption's moutpiece isn't connected to a vaporizer (or a water device located in between, etc.) then it should be obvious that the bag will fill with ambiant air while the pump is turned on. As a result, this implies that the pump must be turned off before my "ShotGun" accessory can be detached, prior to inhalation.

What's really interesting though is this: with the pump turned off and my "ShotGun" accessory detached, the pressure due to gravity doesn't seem to affect the bag's shape signifcantly. This means i can safely wander around with my "ShotGun" accessory in a hand and not have to worry about loosing vapor since the bag retains its shape, essentially. In other words, what you get is some type of cannister with a giant cigar shape which keeps the vapor inside until you're ready to inhale vapor from it.

I hope my answer cleared up some details.

:peace:

Egzoset,

mrfloopa

Vappy
I tried to look through this entire thread, so sorry if this was asked (I don't have too much time right now). How big is the crucible for this unit? As in, how much herb (grams) would this hold, and what is the minimum people have used efficiently?

Edit: found answer to one question, so I removed it.

mrfloopa,

OO

Technical Skeptical
you could fit a gram in if you packed it really tight, but the tighter the pack, the less efficient it is.as far as the minimum is concerned, i've used tiny pinches of herb and done just fine. most of my friends enjoy seeing vapor condensate, so they'll pack in half a gram and go to town, but i think it's a waste at that point.

OO,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Ha ordered should be here this weekend. Initial report at first. A month before full review due to subpar quality at the moment. While I wait, I do have some questions you pros may be able to help me with.
1) Is the ABV from the HA worth saving? at 350? 375? 400? or does it extract enough to make it pointless to save?
2) How many Tokeez bags do you think could be filled with half/whole crucible?
3) Is the HA temp dead on (within a couple degrees)?
4) I seen on another thread (not HA related), about "swallowing the vapor is bad"? I can't figure that one out at all.
5) Since I'm stuck with south of the border brick herb, is it really worth vaping or should I just wait a month?
6) For you guys using ground herb, what is the advantage of using/ not using the cruicible? Slightly larger hits? More capacity?
7) I usually take a few hits out of the spoon bowl and wait a hour or two. With the HA, should I just let it hit temp, then turn it off and vape until it cools?
8) When they say the HA sometimes gets hot on the throat, how goes that compare to a spoon bowl? Is a hot direct draw still way cooler than that? or pretty close?
9) Would tweezers work for removing crucible as opposed to dumping it out?

Thanks for any help. I started with 2 or 3 questions and these followed pretty quickly.

Magic9,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Magic9 said:
Ha ordered should be here this weekend. Initial report at first. A month before full review due to subpar quality at the moment. While I wait, I do have some questions you pros may be able to help me with.
1) Is the ABV from the HA worth saving? at 350? 375? 400? or does it extract enough to make it pointless to save?
2) How many Tokeez bags do you think could be filled with half/whole crucible?
4) I seen on another thread (not HA related), about "swallowing the vapor is bad"? I can't figure that one out at all.
5) Since I'm stuck with south of the border brick herb, is it really worth vaping or should I just wait a month?
6) For you guys using ground herb, what is the advantage of using/ not using the cruicible? Slightly larger hits? More capacity?
7) I usually take a few hits out of the spoon bowl and wait a hour or two. With the HA, should I just let it hit temp, then turn it off and vape until it cools?
8) When they say the HA sometimes gets hot on the throat, how goes that compare to a spoon bowl? Is a hot direct draw still way cooler than that? or pretty close?

Thanks for any help. I started with 2 or 3 questions and these followed pretty quickly.

Not sure on 1-4, but in 5, I think no matter the quality, vaporizers stretch out any herb better than combusting. Plus the taste is much better when vaping.

For 7, I wouldnt bother to turn off the unit, id just let it heat up, and start with a small amount, Vape more if needed...

Number 8, I don't believe that the ha, even direct draw, will too hot for you. If the whip you use is too short, it may be fairly hot, but with a little length, it will cool sufficiently.

And id have to take a stab in the dark on number 9 and say that tweezers should work...

Looking forward to your reviews...I've been eyeballing this vapo for a while!

Purpl3_Haz3,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Magic9 said:

IMO, 400F ABV isnt wort,h keeping, but ill admit sometmes i do throw it in with my abv from my other vapes for the QWISO. but if the HA is your only vape and HA abv is the only abv youll have i dont know tha ti would bother keeping the stuff around personally.

Magic9 said:
2) How many Tokeez bags do you think could be filled with half/whole crucible
A lot of variables there, the main ones being what temps you blow and and herb quality. It basically comes down to the density of vapor youre looking for. For instance, some ppl say they start as low as 330F or so and work their way up in temp slowly with each bag. Doing it this way will produce thinner vapor but more bags/hits overall. I usually start at 350F and work my way up from there, but around 370-375F is where the bags are real milky, so some ppl like to just dive in right there, thicker hits and takes less time for the session. Slowly working up in temp with thinner hits is the most efficient way of doing things tho, when you take thicker hits and are exhaling clearly visible vapor, thats all wasted. Its better to get thinner hits that you can hold in and ghost them.

so i cant really give you an exact answer for your question, plus i dont have exp with tokeez bags, but i would lke to get some some day
Magic9 said:
There is some variation of temp i think, dont know exactly how much, but IMO exact temp numbers arent that important because its all a relative thing.
Magic9 said:
i dunno, never heard about it. just inhale straight to the lungs and it will be fine. And i recommend not trying to inhale until youre at full lung capacity, but almost there, so you can inhale some air behind the vapor to make sure it all gets down in there good. ive burped vapor and smoke both, and have seen others do it, and it seems like every time it happens the person was trying to take a massive hit.
Magic9 said:
well if any vape can vape it, it would be the HA. the crucibles will hold a lot, and it will vape the shit out of it. If its really crappy herb, i'd recommend packing crucible and starting at 375F or so
Magic9 said:
pretty much yeah, if you grind it, he vapor does seem to be a little bit thicker, and builds up a little bit faster. IMO its not worth the bother tho, i always just use whole nugs. it vapes them all the way through, and they crumble to dust pretty much when done
Magic9 said:
Eh, not sure what to recommend really. im usually the same way, at least with my other vapes, and like to just vape a little at a time. but with the HA i usually find myself just vaping until its done. If you do stop part way through a crucible, id say just shut it off and maybe take a couple hits as it cools off to make sure no vapor goes to waste. The HA has pretty good heat retention so you can usually get a couple thinner ones as it cools
Magic9 said:
direct draw can be a bit warm but not worse than combusting in pipe IMO, id recommend getting some better tubing and using whip mode if you're doing direct inhale. but just using a straw with one of the black mouthpieces on it is still very pleasant up to around 380+ or so
Magic9 said:

Probably, but i find just dumping it onto a tin lid or something is easiest. I usually just leave it in there until my next session, then i empty it an dload fresh while its cool instead of messing around with hot crucible at all.

Hope you enjoy your HA, im sure you will. Just make sure you put the mouthpiece on while its heating up so that it can get warm and expand so it fits tight

steiner666,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I'll fire off some answer too.

High Temp ABV from the herbalAire is definitely darker and less worth saving than other ABV, worth it at all....? I keep it, but it's a small proportion of my total ABV

Not sure what size Tokeez bags are, still on my OG bags.

Temp is close enough to my satisfaction, I recommend starting low (below 350) to get some of the tastiest albeit thinner bags first. Then working up when you stop getting vapor.

Questionable starting material can be frustrating, but I'd give it a shot. That's where you can have your throat dry out inhaling thin hot vapor.

You'll wanna keep the herbalAire at temp while you're using it, and it's got the 30 min? autoshutoff if you forget. But it does heat back up quickish, inside 5 mins.

The crucible is probably more important if anything when using ground material, keep the mess in there. Add an extra screen on top too.

Tweezers or needlenose pliers "forced open" may work for removing the crucible, can definitely come up with something, although dumping it out isn't too bad either.

rabblerouser,

scottio19

scotty
the listings on ebay have the herbalaire h2.1 priced around 175 with free shipping. can I expect the 2010 2.1 pump with it, or could they be selling older units for lower prices? :/

nevermind, I found another listing in Cali that clarifies that it has the newer pump. can I expect Herbalaire to honor the two year warranty the ebay seller provides?

scottio19,

robert denby

i just ebayed one myself and i can confirm it is the new stock pump.
however, my HA didnt power on!! luckily i did a tiny bit of research and found an authorized dealer selling them on ebay, so it is already en route for replacement
so bummed i have to wait another week or two for this, it looks like this bitch is the one for me.

robert denby,
That's the first time I've ever read about an HA having problems. I guess a "dud" really doesn't count truly, but still, the HA seems very reliable.

I'm pretty damn happy with mine outside of some caveats, you should enjoy it.

charliedontsurf,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Man, the HA saved the day today.

Had a couple friends over for the first time in a while and no fresh green for the occasion, but the HA blew enough bags out of our 2-3g of abv that we were able to achieve liftoff :lol: My friend, who i sold a LB to a week or two ago, says "That thing is fucking amazing, im definitely getting one some day!". The HA isn't subtle or sneaky enough for him, and so the "some day" he refers to will probably be when his kid moves out on her own lol

So anyway, while iw as using it today, i knocked the HA off the desk when i moved the pump, because of how fucking stiff the hosing that connects the two is, it just tipped/pushed it right off. Of course the HA is OK because its a tank like that, but man, I'm really wanting to know if someone knows where i can get some soft bendy tubing that the right size to connect the two.

If HA (the company) would just improve the quality of the tubing for the pump as well as the whip, the HA would be a totally perfect tri-functional vape. As it is now tho, i usually just tell people it does bags or direct inhale out of the box, with whip usage being a possibility if they invest in better, softer, wider tubing (which isnt so easy to figure out and find what you need).

To me the HA is like an uncut diamond, its flawless in its performance, but they need to smooth some of the rough edges out of the overall package. BRING ON THE HERBALAIRE 2.2! or 3.0 or whatever other arbitrary numerical sequence!!

And wtf, HA needs to start getting their product out there more, get some marketing going on, some publicity... its the best vape that no ones ever heard of ffs!

steiner666,
Top Bottom