Discontinued herbalAire

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Egzoset...what is the 2litre bottle setup you have? Is it to keep he bag from inflating more than you want? Curious! :p

Also egzo, how do you like the unit? How would you compare it to the other vape(s) you've used?

I'm interested in your info, as you seem to be critical (a good thing) and thorough with your info, and I plan to purchase one of these soon

Purpl3_Haz3,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations, the name is Egzoset...

As a freshly initiated (new) vaporist i must first mention that my conversion from smoke to vapor was "seamless" for all practical purposes, but lets keep in mind that i dropped smoking hashish years ago, meaning i probably reacted with old acquired smoker reflexes while having zero tolerance, essentially.

Anyway, i'm genuinely satisfied that i got such an opportunity although it certainly wasn't the vaporist initiation i was visualizing last fall.

;)

The adaptation period which i was expecting never really took place, it was an instantaneous love afair between me and my HerbalAire! Well, maybe i had to demystify some things at the very begining but then i quicly came to feel just like i had never quit hashish, except now its green buds with a similar smell.

Taste is a dimension i failed to explore miserably. If i'm correct it seems that between Valentine day and February 25 i went through 14g of weed (February 25 being a not so glorious day because of what was left): that's a rough average of about 1.3g per day... I wouldn't pretend all of my senses were acute, chances are i wasted some good tasting weed due to such an obvious lack of control to be honnest. But...

That's all fine with me, i simply needed to live through every step of that spooky episode for way too long... It WAS time! :ko:

:bowdown:

I cannot compare the HerbalAire's vapor with that of any other but i got an opportunity to compare my HA ABV with the Zephyr ABV left behind by Optex420 (after he visited me with a friend of his) and now i find evident the HerbalAire was a sound purchase for me to make after all.

Talking of my visitors, that evening i didn't vaporize myself because i intended to keep this unique moment to myself (and i didn't want to risk cauphing non-stop). As a result, i had wide open eyes when observing their reactions and i must admit the Zephyr gave them happy smiles compared to the rest, my "Party-Beast In-Line Pump-Assisted Bladder-Conditioner" experiment included - especially it, actually!

:shrug:

So, to answer your specific question, my opinion about the HA vapor is that it may seem thin but it's all there if you don't need it to be like smoke.

:science:

Now, about my "Party-Beast In-Line Pump-Assisted Bladder-Conditioner" fiasco, the intent was to clear the air and vapor paths from any excess components. It allowed me to remove an aquarium pump from the vital circuit and it also let me cut the remaining PVC tube by half. Right now i'm considering the possibility to add a middle section between those bottles to increase bag capacity. It may be necessary to shop around looking for longer bags, actually. The working version will produce the "cleanest" bag i can get under the circumstances, this may come handy later if i manage to better educate my senses.

One thing i like with my negative pressure bag system is the fact that i don't touch it at all so the vapor really stays inside until needed. My next favourite feature is the fact that i'm ready for the day when my bag will rupture: in case of an accident the remaining vapor disperses in the cavity around that defective bag so it can be inhaled conveniently through the pump tube in seconds.

I've used the normal bag setup a lot and started inhalating directly from the main teflon mouthpiece near the end. I find the thought of invisible vapor escaping through thin air quite a bit stressful so i'll probably be a bag guy - provided i'm not too lazy to make one! Speaking of the main mouthpiece, there ain't too many tiny holes left opened in its screen once it starts to get clogged, i doubt another 14g can be vaporized without cleaning it. I'll have to wait and see what maintenance is all about exactly.

:uhoh:

For people who are new to cannabis i'd say that drawing directly from this mouthpiece is one option to seriously consider because that's less space-invasive; otherwise, one is likely to feel that the HerbalAire requires an intimidating shrine, its owner having to reserve some exclusive space for it, in a corner, because of the pump contraption, the wiring and tray(s), whatever. Somebody might argue it's not too bulky but the parts aren't working independently: it's their inter-connections which turn the contraption into an effective vaporizer. I think some people's minds will close like clams under the sun at some messy sights, maybe the HA used in self-contained mode is easier to accept so if i were to show the HerbalAire to my dear old smoking aunt then i'd certainly try to start with direct draw.

:cool:

Having used no other vaporizer i won't make direct comparisons but i know that not having to "grind"/"stirr" is a blessing for many individuals and the dark brown colour of my ABV tells me i can also forget "reclaiming" altogether, unless condensation is allowed to occur in a bag and/or similar accessories that is. Too bad the oven's teflon opening and mating teflon mouthpiece don't appear to be suitably built for parties (not that i personnally care though); i sense permanent damage could result from handling those when still hot so i'd try not to forget to fully load the crucible if there's a party going on - not to mention the bag extender which fits on top of the main mouthpiece restricts air flow somewhat... I'd avoid parties of three persons or more (i like living in the comfort zone) but it's better ask other HA owners around what they think, of course...

:2c:

Finally, an oily film will form on the oven surface and top opening after a while which may emit not so great odors once the following session started. Those oily deposits are like frying oil in a pan: it can burn if one isn't careful where he puts his fingers.

-=-

I hope those comments may help with your future buying decision Purple Haze, thank you for your kind words.

:)

Egzoset,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Thanks for your detailed and informative post Egzo! Your post has definitely swayed me from one side of the bridge to the other...and I plan on purchasing my own HA when the funds are available.

Also, glad to hear that your return to the wonderful world of cannabis was enjoyable!

**edit**

Just figured out your bag bottle setup, I believe...if I'm correct, the pump pulls air from the bottles, creating a vacuum so the bag will expand into the empty space...correct?

Happy vaping! :peace:

I've had my Herbalaire for about 3 weeks and everyday I can't wait to get home to it. :cool:
I've been using the whip method a little more lately. I don't have to break out the pump, and sometimes I don't want a whole balloon of vapor, just a hit or two.

Right now, i have to hit the whip real slow, or it feels like i'm sucking my face into the tube. To get better whip hits, I've been grinding my herb. I find I get better rips that way. I put a finer screen in the bottom of the crucible. I also put an extra screen at the top of the crucible before I drop it into the Herbalaire.

I read that some of you made adjustments by using a larger size diameter whip. Could someone please post pics and tell what you did to make your Herbalaire more Whip friendly?
Thanks for letting me vape.......

brightside420,

Troi

Brightside,

Unless your really intent on hitting a whip; I suggest just plug in the tephlon mouthpiece turn the unit upside down and insert into any 18.9 water-pipe slide/or stemless intake. You will get the most drag free experience the vape has to offer.

Warning: As I'm sure you have learned already the tephlon mouthpiece is horizontally unstable, when using this method be sure to only apply downward pressure vertically and not horizontally. This is the only way I use the herbie myself.

Troi,
I suggest just plug in the tephlon mouthpiece turn the unit upside down and insert into any 18.9 water-pipe slide/or stemless intake. You will get the most drag free experience the vape has to offer.
I don't have a waterpipe right now. I did try hitting off the teflon mouthpiece extension and it hit a little better then the whip, but I'm trying to work with the whip method so it's kind of like hitting a hookah(sp?).

brightside420,

vibes1952

Have had my HA going on a month now. I really like it a lot. My only complaint is I'm leaning towards using the whip mostly beause it works for me when just sitting there rather than aving to hold the entire unit or bag of vape. I just hold the whip or place ti down. I guess I'm on the search for the Holy Grail (a fatter more flexible whip for HA that wont tip the darn thing over). and coming to here. I did try 3/4 " food/beverage grade flexible tubing but the white mouth piece had to beheld or it kept popping out (even after hit up time).

Oh well, saying hello herenow that I bought a HA2.1 (used to be on the PD threads.......shhhhh)

oh, ideas on improved FAT whips for HA.... I also have to learn up on bong mods for HA as I never tried it or usedthem (I'm pushing 60 and figure I might as well try it)...the web has sooo much info......diving in now ........

vibes1952,

OO

Technical Skeptical
check the herbalaire thread.
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=115839#p115839

as far as tipping goes, i have in the past used a iron weight from a weight lifting setup, and put a coathanger through the hole and bent it so it gripped the unit well enough to keep it from tipping.

as far as the mouthpiece is concerned, i contacted herbalaire about the problem, and they sent me one that works beautifully.

OO,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah, IMO, this is something that Herbalaire (the company) needs to address. They need to redesign the whip mode, because everyone I know who uses whip on the HA has either found better tubing or WANTs to find better tubing lol. And its just such a pity because the HA is great for whip mode because its so worry free as far as not having to worry about herb burning, not having to worry about stirring, not having to worry about the heating element not being able to keep up with fast back-to-back hits... the vapor just flows until its done... but then you accidentally pull the mouthpiece off or the stock tubing out of the tip, or you pull the HA off the desk and that kinda shatters the who carefree scenario. I personally havent got better tubing yet, but thats because I usually just do bags with HA when i use it.

I think its time for a HA 3.0, with heavier base and totally redesigned loading method. Something that combines the crucible and the mouthpiece into one. This would make it easier to load/unload since you wouldnt have to worry about touching or dumping hot crucible, and it would make the mouthpiece not come off if pushed sideways like the current one, because it would be attached to the crucible which is inside the unit. It would be like the difference between tipping a log (like real lumberjack log not vape log lol) thats just standing on its end vs one thats partially buried. Of course, the new mouthpiece would have a different tip, one that has a more gradual taper maybe, that would allow for a variety of tubing sizes to work with it. Or at least one that works with standard (ssv/dbv) sized tubing.

steiner666,
Reactions: MG23

OO

Technical Skeptical
steiner666 said:
Yeah, IMO, this is something that Herbalaire (the company) needs to address. They need to redesign the whip mode, because everyone I know who uses whip on the HA has either found better tubing or WANTs to find better tubing lol. And its just such a pity because the HA is great for whip mode because its so worry free as far as not having to worry about herb burning, not having to worry about stirring, not having to worry about the heating element not being able to keep up with fast back-to-back hits... the vapor just flows until its done... but then you accidentally pull the mouthpiece off or the stock tubing out of the tip, or you pull the HA off the desk and that kinda shatters the who carefree scenario. I personally havent got better tubing yet, but thats because I usually just do bags with HA when i use it.

I think its time for a HA 3.0, with heavier base and totally redesigned loading method. Something that combines the crucible and the mouthpiece into one. This would make it easier to load/unload since you wouldnt have to worry about touching or dumping hot crucible, and it would make the mouthpiece not come off if pushed sideways like the current one, because it would be attached to the crucible which is inside the unit. It would be like the difference between tipping a log (like real lumberjack log not vape log lol) thats just standing on its end vs one thats partially buried. Of course, the new mouthpiece would have a different tip, one that has a more gradual taper maybe, that would allow for a variety of tubing sizes to work with it. Or at least one that works with standard (ssv/dbv) sized tubing.
though i have desired that the crucible be attatched to the mouthpiece, i know that it only takes a few seconds (less than a minute for the crucible to cool to a handleable temp, so it really isn't a dealbreaker, i just dump it into an ashtray or ceramic dining plate.
as far as the other issues, i think all it needs is a device that secures the moutpiece to the main unit better than the normal fit. other than that anyone can rig it so that they can secure a detatchable weight to the base, you just need to be a little creative, how about a wooden disk with a large diameter that has four dowels that stick out to support the main unit? you can even just use one dowel with a ring on it that can support the unit, but it would need to be a rather sturdy setup, using more than one dowel would improve the stability of the unit as a whole.

start with a large lazy susan- like disk, and work from there.

OO,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Get an extra mouth piece, then drill it out with a 5/8 bit. About halfway in ( where it gets thin) switch to 1/4 bit.

There will be a huge difference in airflow through the piece. I may post a pic. Then you need whip tubing that fits on the mouthpiece. I don't know what size that is, cause I don't use whips. Vapebong ftw!

Also, a five sided box with a hole big enough for the ha to poke out the top, and you have a stabel platform.

notmyrealUSERname,

OO

Technical Skeptical
as far as airflow is concerned, with the techniques i use, i've never had any issues.

i'd like to keep the airpath as narrow as possible to keep the vapor dense, the flavor is better that way.

i'm now going to ignore what i just said, in order to say that it works magificently on a 4 footer, it maintains its temp extremely well.

OO,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
OO said:
as far as airflow is concerned, with the techniques i use, i've never had any issues.

i'd like to keep the airpath as narrow as possible to keep the vapor dense, the flavor is better that way.

i'm now going to ignore what i just said, in order to say that it works magificently on a 4 footer, it maintains its temp extremely well.

having more airflow makes a huge difference when you are pulling through a really draggy bubbler! even with the larger airpath i have not been able to pull hard enough to get a green light. i have started to prefer using the ha with my bubbler because the drag is almost too much with my bubbler and supreme vape.

i was recently able to acquire the HO pump!! it will fill a single standard sized bag in 12 seconds flat! this is also the same amount of time the pump needs to put enough of a burden on the heater for it to shine a green light. during this time i reload with a different bag. but i need to switch the pump on and off, whereas, with the factory pump i would just switch bags quickly leaving the pump on.

the pump will fill 3 bags very quickly, however, it also will shine a green light after 12 seconds, which is well before the 3 bags are full. so i have been starting and stopping the pump in order to give it time to shine amber. this is slightly annoying. and how can i be sure what temp the bags were actually vaped at?

what is the temp range on the ha - so if its amber at 350f, how far off will the temp be before the green light comes on?

overall i would say the high ouput pump requires more effort and attention, which for me is not necessarily an advantage. anyone else have any experience with the ho pump?

notmyrealUSERname,

steiner666

Serial vapist
notmyrealUSERname said:
OO said:

having more airflow makes a huge difference when you are pulling through a really draggy bubbler! even with the larger airpath i have not been able to pull hard enough to get a green light. i have started to prefer using the ha with my bubbler because the drag is almost too much with my bubbler and supreme vape.

i was recently able to acquire the HO pump!! it will fill a single standard sized bag in 12 seconds flat! this is also the same amount of time the pump needs to put enough of a burden on the heater for it to shine a green light. during this time i reload with a different bag. but i need to switch the pump on and off, whereas, with the factory pump i would just switch bags quickly leaving the pump on.

the pump will fill 3 bags very quickly, however, it also will shine a green light after 12 seconds, which is well before the 3 bags are full. so i have been starting and stopping the pump in order to give it time to shine amber. this is slightly annoying. and how can i be sure what temp the bags were actually vaped at?

what is the temp range on the ha - so if its amber at 350f, how far off will the temp be before the green light comes on?

overall i would say the high ouput pump requires more effort and attention, which for me is not necessarily an advantage. anyone else have any experience with the ho pump?

i havent bought one yet, but dont the HO pumps have a throttle on them that you could use to slow it down to a speed that doesnt turn it green?

steiner666,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
well i have a had a bit more quality time with my ho pump. i am liking the fact that it blows up a single bag so fast! i like that i turn have to turn the pump on/off, when i am using one bag because the pumps noise can be distracting so the less it runs the more i like it.

the ha's light will go amber, shortly before i am done huffing the bag. so with a two bag rotation you are constantly supplied with vapors. :brow:

there does not appear to be a throttle on the pump, steiner666. it seems wierd to me that ha would design the pump to be so strong that it would cause temp. fluctuations. i suppose if you only need 2 or 3 bags, it wouldn't be such a big deal...

what is the accuracy of the temperature deviation lights? so if its set at 350, and the light is amber, how many degrees will the temp need to increase before it will show a red light? conversly, how many degrees will the temp need to decrease before the amber light will turn into a green light?

notmyrealUSERname,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
notmyrealUSERname said:
well i have a had a bit more quality time with my ho pump. i am liking the fact that it blows up a single bag so fast! i like that i turn have to turn the pump on/off, when i am using one bag because the pumps noise can be distracting so the less it runs the more i like it.

the ha's light will go amber, shortly before i am done huffing the bag. so with a two bag rotation you are constantly supplied with vapors. :brow:

there does not appear to be a throttle on the pump, steiner666. it seems wierd to me that ha would design the pump to be so strong that it would cause temp. fluctuations. i suppose if you only need 2 or 3 bags, it wouldn't be such a big deal...

what is the accuracy of the temperature deviation lights? so if its set at 350, and the light is amber, how many degrees will the temp need to increase before it will show a red light? conversly, how many degrees will the temp need to decrease before the amber light will turn into a green light?

I think the throttle that Steiner speaks of is a little plastic thing then goes in the air inlet on the pump and reduces flow...maybe optional? Thought I saw it on a YouTube vid

Purpl3_Haz3,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
looked around and i saw the video where it mentions the throttle plug. thanks for the tip!

i bought a demo model, so that little piece must have been lost somewhere. i will be going back to the lhs tomorrow to see if they can find me that piece!

notmyrealUSERname,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
notmyrealUSERname said:
looked around and i saw the video where it mentions the throttle plug. thanks for the tip!

i bought a demo model, so that little piece must have been lost somewhere. i will be going back to the lhs tomorrow to see if they can find me that piece!

If all else fails, and you don't find it, you could try asking a local petstore as the pump is the same as whats used for aquariums...they might have one of those little pieces

Purpl3_Haz3,

Egzoset

Banned
Hello Purple Haze,

Sorry for taking so long! Yes, the pump sucks air out of my containment bottle assembly, creating a vacuum around the bag located inside. It's not that obvious on the following video but you might notice i was using my pump's bottom (input) connector when i conducted this experiment:

HerbalAire ShotGun (Bag) Accessory

I've drawn two colour lines near the end of that bag when it was lying flat on my table, before i put it inside its vacuum cavity; i was hoping this would help to demonstrate the inflatation process. That setup isn't radically different from a conventional bag configuration except there's absolutely no pump-related hardware present in the air/vapor paths going to my lungs (i used a long coil of pump-tubing to render this particular feature more evident)...

:cool:

I'm afraid that low quality video fails to clearly illustrate tubing connection details, including where air around the bag exits my vacuum cavity exactly, but if you pay attention you should see that i've added black rubber grommets around the tube's ends so that the connector provided by HerbalAire will no longer risk to slip out when i pull on it. I find those grommets also make tube handling more convenient. Well, i'm sure you'll get the idea looking at my picture below:

:D

zombonaut

Just FYI...in my arsenal the vapor bong has given new life to my Herbie. I wasn't using it much because the bags are kind of a hassle.

The mouthpiece, without the smaller tube, fits on my 14.4 glass joint. It does not go in to the joint, just kind of sits on top of it. This is great because removing the Herbie and clearing the glass is a breeze.

Run don't walk to your nearest decent head shop and buy a glass piece with a diffusing downstem and an ice catch. It's well worth the $60 I spent. And no more weed dust in my mouth. :)

zombonaut,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
zombonaut said:
Just FYI...in my arsenal the vapor bong has given new life to my Herbie. I wasn't using it much because the bags are kind of a hassle.

The mouthpiece, without the smaller tube, fits on my 14.4 glass joint. It does not go in to the joint, just kind of sits on top of it. This is great because removing the Herbie and clearing the glass is a breeze.

Run don't walk to your nearest decent head shop and buy a glass piece with a diffusing downstem and an ice catch. It's well worth the $60 I spent. And no more weed dust in my mouth. :)

When i first used my EQ with a bong i was blown away, and it's become one of my favorite methods!

If your not already, you should try using hot water, with or without ice. It has been stated by many members here, and myself, that it is way more soothing in the throat and lungs than a completely cold setup. The hot water seems to be more humid, vapory...

Purpl3_Haz3,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Purpl3_Haz3 said:
notmyrealUSERname said:

I think the throttle that Steiner speaks of is a little plastic thing then goes in the air inlet on the pump and reduces flow...maybe optional? Thought I saw it on a YouTube vid

So I went back to the store. They pulled out a new box and it didn't have a throttle either. I showed the vid and they said it must only come with the 5 bag adapter kit. Anyways, I still don't have a throttle. I will be emailing HA today to get some clarification about the throttle.

If that doesn work then I'm going to the pet store next!

notmyrealUSERname,
Top Bottom