Discontinued herbalAire

OO

Technical Skeptical
notmyrealUSERname said:
how can i be sure what temp the bags were actually vaped at?

what is the temp range on the ha - so if its amber at 350f, how far off will the temp be before the green light comes on?

you can't be sure of what temp they are vaped at without measuring them. the indicated values on the HA are only for comparison, they are relative, and not exact.

use them as guidepoints.

the HA has a range of about 10* indicated for it's amber light. and all pumps will cause temp fluctuation, not all will cause enough fluctuation to trigger a green light.
a way to identify the range of fluctuation on your specific unit would be to let it warm up to an amber temp, and then quickly turn the knob up and down to find how wide its amber range is.

OO,
On the topic of the throttle, I assume the HO pump is similar to the normal (upgraded 2.1) pump. You could just put some tape or the like partially over the intake hole, or physically block it partially with your finger. As long as you weren't completely choking it for air I think it would do no harm, it's functionally the same as using the throttle.

10 degrees range counts as Amber, only 5 degrees off in either direction? That's not bad at all.

Edit: here's what Azarius has to say about the temp control in their ad: "250F (121C) - 400F (205C) temperature control (accurate within 2F, or 1C) allows for optimal vaporization temperature. HerbalAire's Learning Temperature control adapts to the climate and environment where it is being used,"

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: MG23

OO

Technical Skeptical
ah, but like i said, that is an indicated degree, which isn't the same as an actual degree, it's only relative, and should only be used as a waypoint, not as an actual value.

OO,

Egzoset

Banned
I'm tempted to concur with the opinion that, although i have no way to tell how my HerbalAire actually behaves, its temperature control most probably makes a session reproducible using the same unit but i yet have to see a statement that garantees this also applies betweem all HA units. As for other brands/models, i'm pretty sure their absolute scales just don't match exactly.

:2c:

Egzoset,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Egzoset said:
I'm tempted to concur with the opinion that, although i have no way to tell how my HerbalAire actually behaves, its temperature control most probably makes a session reproducible using the same unit but i yet have to see a statement that garantees this also applies betweem all HA units. As for other brands/models, i'm pretty sure their absolute scales just don't match exactly.

:2c:
i don't think you could expect it to be very reproducable, between different units, given the pricetag, and extremely long list of variables involved.

you may have slight variances using the same unit due to variables like air speed, and water content, but these are neglible for the most part during long sessions.

OO,

OO

Technical Skeptical
actually i meant my post to concur with yours, i'm sorry if i failed to make that point clear, i'll definitely try to be more clear next time.

OO,

Egzoset

Banned
Oh but you are entitled to your own opinion!

I was just a bit surprized because at one moment i thought you meant one thing and then the next moment something else...

If you're saying you'll trust your HerbalAire in relative terms then i think we may be able to reach an agreement.

;)

Egzoset,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
charliedontsurf said:
On the topic of the throttle, I assume the HO pump is similar to the normal (upgraded 2.1) pump. You could just put some tape or the like partially over the intake hole, or physically block it partially with your finger. As long as you weren't completely choking it for air I think it would do no harm, it's functionally the same as using the throttle.

10 degrees range counts as Amber, only 5 degrees off in either direction? That's not bad at all.

Edit: here's what Azarius has to say about the temp control in their ad: "250F (121C) - 400F (205C) temperature control (accurate within 2F, or 1C) allows for optimal vaporization temperature. HerbalAire's Learning Temperature control adapts to the climate and environment where it is being used,"

charliedontsurf:

i will eventually do what you suggest and cover up the hole slightly, but since i know that theer is a 'proper' piece for it, i want to try it!

i find the quote from azarius a little hard to believe, heres why. it takes approx. 3 min for the ha to heat up to 350f, from cold. thats means the temp is increasing about 2f per second! why does it the ha approx. 30 seconds to shine amber after blowing a bag with the ho pump? the heater shouldn't need that long to increase the temp by 2f! granted, if you are slow turning the pump off the temp could have dropped much more than 2f. if you agree that the pump can increase the temp by 2f/sec. then a 30sec. reheat time would indicate that the temp dropped by 60f! that sort of temp deviation should not occur, if the "learning temperature control adapts to the climate and blah blah blah...".

for my next session, i will pay attemtion to the watt meter while the ha is running with the ho pump. i will see what happens to the current draw when the lights change colour. and i will try oo suggestion about turning the knob to find the range of the amber light.

notmyrealUSERname,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations,

I'm really impressed (and utterly stimulated)!

:clap:

I don't know what the outcome will be but i think it was quite about time for such expression of curiosity to find its way to this particular thread!!! Now i'll be waiting for an answer to that riddle with expectations of equal magnitude...

:tup:

Egzoset,

OO

Technical Skeptical
remember, an indicated degree does not equal an actual degree, they may differ in value.

measuring it is the only way to be certain.

OO,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi there!

In fact, most vaporizers should use letters instead of numbers and not pretend that they will let you set the temperature exactly. ...if not letters a continuous rainbow of colours perhaps: at least that wouldn't mislead the owner into thinking he knows what the temperature is...

;)

Egzoset,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
or it would be nice to know what is being measured. for example, my thermometer shows the temperature at the hottest part of the heater - the middle of the nichrome coil.

Hippie Dickie,

spacin_mason

The Dude
hey guys, first time poster, couple week lurker, i did some surching on the first few pages but figured asking would be easier than going through 12 pages so here i am, I have an HA and i recently cleaned my whip by letting it soak in 71% ISO for multiple days, and it ended up abosrbing the smell/taste of alcohol to the point where i started using my little stock pump hose as a whip over the original because it tasted so bad.

I was just wondering where i can get a new, longer than original, whip. I would like to not have to order if online if possible, my friends were saying i could go to home depot and get it but i'm not sure what size i need or if it would be safe in the vape, meaning its not gonna melt or anything..

thanks guys.

spacin_mason,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Hey Mason, welcome to FC, congrats on the HA, and I'm a fellow eastern us citizen,,,

I understand you not wanting to order online...I don't know of anywhere locally that would for certain have what you're looking for...but try this thread, might at least have the answers your looking for...

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4785

Purpl3_Haz3,

OO

Technical Skeptical
spacin_mason said:
hey guys, first time poster, couple week lurker, i did some surching on the first few pages but figured asking would be easier than going through 12 pages so here i am, I have an HA and i recently cleaned my whip by letting it soak in 71% ISO for multiple days, and it ended up abosrbing the smell/taste of alcohol to the point where i started using my little stock pump hose as a whip over the original because it tasted so bad.

I was just wondering where i can get a new, longer than original, whip. I would like to not have to order if online if possible, my friends were saying i could go to home depot and get it but i'm not sure what size i need or if it would be safe in the vape, meaning its not gonna melt or anything..

thanks guys.
this is a common issue with fragranced solvents.

try turning it on high, and using the pump to pump hot air through the original whip.

OO,

Egzoset

Banned
I went to Canadian Tire this week and came back from their plumbing department with Watts SVHF10 vinyl tubing. Searching the web it's supposed to be made of Plasticized PolyVinyl Chloride, actually, but its temperature range goes from -40F to 175F only. Too bad, i read somewhere else it would be NSF-61 compliant but i just wouldn't want to connect such material to my vaporizer since it runs too hot i guess...

Egzoset,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i have two vapes that i use, one is the HA, which due to the large capacity bowl only gets used when there's a group, and the glass straw that i use with a lighter.

recently the glass straw broke and i combined it with the HA to make it a convective style vape that uses about the same amount as a log-style vape.
check it
0316012151.jpg

0316012152.jpg

i know it's ghetto, but it conserves, and has flavor like no other.

the herbs go in the dark area, the second pic is to show the pinch in the glass that prevents the herb from moving.

OO,
Reactions: MG23

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
I am just beginning my research on this unit again. From what I have read, it seems pretty nice. I already have an EQ and an AquaVape Inline. Any quick tips or hints would be awesome guys! I'll be back after I read thru the whole thread!!! :D

:peace:

Bluntcrush,

Egzoset

Banned
Is it possible there's room in the HerbalAire offer for alternate mouthpiece options, actually?

Main teflon mouthpieces with a larger conduit
Main teflon mouthpieces compatible with foreing vaporizer items
Main mouthpieces made of other materials than teflon
Main mouthpieces which in fact are secondary convection-only crucibles
Main mouthpieces equipped with a USB thermocouple module, whatever...

:peace:

Egzoset,
How about a mouthpiece which makes a better connection into 14.4mm or 18.8mm glass on glass joints?

How about a mouthpiece which actually bloody fits any sort of tubing worth using?

The mouthpiece on the herbalaire is a drawback imo, one which could be solved with a minor and inexpensive redesign.

I'd also like to see a modified cruble, one which has "legs" so to speak, and is thinner than the herb chamber within which the crucible sits. This would in effect get it out of contact with the walls and bottom of the chamber, which are super hot and are constantly vaporizing your material whether or not you are inhaling. This would cut down on the completely undesirable, always-on conduction vaporization which this design is plagued with. I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just frustrating going from a vape with virtually no problems along these lines (Vapobowl, MFLB, Vapocane, DBV surprisingly) to ones which have the problem to such an extent that it defines their use (Herbalaire, Iolite). When I use the HA, which I basically use only for bags, I let it get up to temperature, then drop in my material and RUSH to get the mouthpiece/bag assembly on and the bag blowing as quickly as possible. I know that if I'm lazy and let it sit for 5 minutes before I do my next bag, the material will be seriously compromised by sitting idle in the chamber.

Edit: I guess Ergo's suggestion of "Main mouthpieces which in fact are secondary convection-only crucibles" more or less expresses what we need.

Edit: Lol, Egro, my bad. "Ergo" just seems so much more natural to my anglo eyes, I kind of get like selective, effective dyslexia sometimes, where in an effort to read something more quickly I take it at a glance and rearrange some groups of letters into ones which seem more natural to my lexicon.. Ya know?

charliedontsurf,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
And I mistakenly posted in this thread so sorry guys! I am after the Vaporfection! My bad... I was pretty impressed with the concept that testing was being done with Chinese medicinal herbs, and something about the pump...

Okay! See ya in another thread! :lol::peace:

Bluntcrush,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Egzoset said:
Main mouthpieces which in fact are secondary convection-only crucibles
there is an issue with this, which is that due to the amount of herb you can vaporize in the HA, it needs to have the crucible heat up to be as efficient as possible. otherwise you will condense alot of the oils on to the crucible before they get into the mouthpiece. it is necessary to keep the herb holding chamber as close to the vaporization temp as possible so that the oils are throughly vaped.

OO,
Top Bottom