Herb Grinders

kabob

derporist
schwann said:
I recommend the cosmic entirely. Way better than the SC that everybody raves about for some reason.
I believe that Cosmic is made by the original guys from SC, at least thats what I have read online (can't remember exact source). I have a small 2 piece Space Case (2.5"(?)), its fairly good for the LB, but my buddy has a mini Cosmic grinder (1.5") and it grinds much finer than my Space Case.
Has anyone tried out the Mendo Mulcher mini (1.5")?

kabob,

max

Out to lunch
kabob said:
schwann said:
I recommend the cosmic entirely. Way better than the SC that everybody raves about for some reason.
I believe that Cosmic is made by the original guys from SC, at least thats what I have read online (can't remember exact source). I have a small 2 piece Space Case (2.5"(?)), its fairly good for the LB, but my buddy has a mini Cosmic grinder (1.5") and it grinds much finer than my Space Case.
Has anyone tried out the Mendo Mulcher mini (1.5")?
From another thread, posted by the owner of Gratefulbuys.com- "There was a falling out between the owners of Space Case years ago and the person who left created Cosmic, while Space Case remained Space Case."

max,

Puget

mollusk
I wish my mini Cosmic 2-pc had knurling on both halves. And while I'm complaining, the magnet is actually too strong [bitchbitchbitch] :/
I have large hands but not especially strong hands and they kinda cramp up using the little Cosmic so I ordered a medium non-magnetic 2-pc Space Case off ebay (15% off sale just ended, will probably come back).

I don't think this has been mentioned yet: the medium Space Case has more teeth (55) than the large model (43).

Puget,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I lost my small mix-n-ball. I've also decided I'l like to stick with a 2 piece for the fine grind for my MFLB. I'd like to avoid chromed aluminum, as I wash in Iso. Frankly I'd like to avoid aluminum altogether, but oh well, not a lot of metal options, and not seeing any stainless steel grinders.

Under 1.5" would be good, and still thin for carrying in a pocket. A magnet would be nice also.

So:

1-1.5" diameter
No chromed aluminum
2-piece
magnet

Any suggestions? I'm hip to the knurled edges on both halves. These things stick after a bit.

willieR,

chucku

Charles Urbane
willieR said:
I lost my small mix-n-ball. I've also decided I'l like to stick with a 2 piece for the fine grind for my MFLB. I'd like to avoid chromed aluminum, as I wash in Iso. Frankly I'd like to avoid aluminum altogether, but oh well, not a lot of metal options, and not seeing any stainless steel grinders.

Under 1.5" would be good, and still thin for carrying in a pocket. A magnet would be nice also.

So:

1-1.5" diameter
No chromed aluminum
2-piece
magnet

Any suggestions? I'm hip to the knurled edges on both halves. These things stick after a bit.

From Grateful Buys 3 pc SC small scout (1 1/4" diameter 2 pc grinder with storage) for $39.90 or small 2 pc SC grinder (2" diameter) for $22.90.

chucku,

kabob

derporist
willieR said:

So:

1-1.5" diameter
No chromed aluminum
2-piece
magnet

I would say either go with a small Space Case (should be right around 2", this is what I currently own), a Cosmic mini (1.5") or a Mendo Mulcher mini (1.5")...I am debating about getting a Cosmic mini myself because it seems to provide a finer grind than my small Space Case, both are 2 piece of course.

kabob,

max

Out to lunch
willieR said:
I'd like to avoid chromed aluminum, as I wash in Iso.
Pretty certain that there are no chromed aluminum grinders. I don't know of any metal grinders that aren't aluminum, except the original Chromium Crusher, and that one's easy to pick out, since it's much heavier than aluminum.

I just got the 1.5" Mendo, and it's a very poor choice for a fine grind. The tooth design (shape and layout) with this brand seems to be aimed at cutting through herb with the minimum resistance. The teeth are narrow with only two edges-back and front. I ground some herb with a 4 pc. and then transferred the larger pieces to the Mendo, to see if I could get a finer grind, as I do with the MnB Classic and Nano. I met no resistance as I turned the grinder, due to the tooth design, and it looked the same coming out as it did going in. I then tried the 2.2" MnB Classic and got a finer grind, since the teeth have a better shape-4 cutting edges with more resistance than the common diamond shape (Space Case). Using the Nano got it a little finer still, as usual, even though the teeth don't have the shape of the Classic, due to the small size. Both MixnBalls provided quite a bit of resistance when turning, with the once and twice ground herb, which is what you need for a fine grind. The Mendo does a great job of shredding pieces of herb, but it's not the answer if you're grinding for the LB or even a log vape.

Under 1.5" would be good, and still thin for carrying in a pocket.
The Nano (1.2"/31mm) is the only grinder I've seen smaller than 1.5". Haven't measured the height of the Mendo, but it's at least a quarter inch higher than the half inch high Nano-great for grinding a good amount of herb, but making for a big lump in your pocket unless your pants are baggy. The Nano can't be beat as a 'pocket grinder'.

Tooth shape on the MnB Classic- http://www.mixnball.com/media/catal...e43594a9c230972d/c/l/classic-v3-magnets_1.jpg

max,

kabob

derporist
max said:
willieR said:
I'd like to avoid chromed aluminum, as I wash in Iso.
Pretty certain that there are no chromed aluminum grinders. I don't know of any metal grinders that aren't aluminum, except the original Chromium Crusher, and that one's easy to pick out, since it's much heavier than aluminum.

I just got the 1.5" Mendo, and it's a very poor choice for a fine grind. The tooth design (shape and layout) with this brand seems to be aimed at cutting through herb with the minimum resistance. The teeth are narrow with only two edges-back and front. I ground some herb with a 4 pc. and then transferred the larger pieces to the Mendo, to see if I could get a finer grind, as I do with the MnB Classic and Nano. I met no resistance as I turned the grinder, due to the tooth design, and it looked the same coming out as it did going in. I then tried the 2.2" MnB Classic and got a finer grind, since the teeth have a better shape-4 cutting edges with more resistance than the common diamond shape (Space Case). Using the Nano got it a little finer still, as usual, even though the teeth don't have the shape of the Classic, due to the small size. Both MixnBalls provided quite a bit of resistance when turning, with the once and twice ground herb, which is what you need for a fine grind. The Mendo does a great job of shredding pieces of herb, but it's not the answer if you're grinding for the LB or even a log vape.

Under 1.5" would be good, and still thin for carrying in a pocket.
The Nano (1.2"/31mm) is the only grinder I've seen smaller than 1.5". Haven't measured the height of the Mendo, but it's at least a quarter inch higher than the half inch high Nano-great for grinding a good amount of herb, but making for a big lump in your pocket unless your pants are baggy. The Nano can't be beat as a 'pocket grinder'.

Tooth shape on the MnB Classic- http://www.mixnball.com/media/catal...e43594a9c230972d/c/l/classic-v3-magnets_1.jpg
Nice write up, very informative. Which grinder would you say is the one that provides the finest grind?

kabob,

VapeHead.com

Retailer
I've been playing around with the Volcano grinder - imho the best for a fine grind for vapes. Drilled a bunch of 3mm holes and it now produces a repeatable level of granularity, and puts the storage chamber to use:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Few other simple mods over in this thread on TGR including a slimline version of the Volcano grinder (my fave) and I'll be encapsulating one of these in some nice wood and adding magnets soon.

EDIT: hmm can't get images working, check out the TGR thread for pics

VapeHead.com,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
VapeHead.com said:
EDIT: hmm can't get images working, check out the TGR thread for pics

Sounds good- I like my volcano grinder results a lot too- I'd love to see- but I can't see the pics even there. I think you have to register with TGR (and I don't like giving my email out to too many grass sites- just paranoid :uhoh: - i know it's daft). Any chance they could be put up elsewhere?

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=181
:peace:

WatTyler,

Nycdeisel

so, the Mini Cosmic 2 piece grinds a lot finer then the medium(and maybe even small) 2 piece SC?
I might have to look into this. also Im seriously considering a few of those small SC cylinder containers for on the go, they seem absolutely perfect, and I like avoiding plastic when possible, which can be difficult when you are out and about.

Nycdeisel,

Carbon

WatTyler said:
Sounds good- I like my volcano grinder results a lot too
honestly that volcano grinder gives me a finer grind by far than my small 4 piece space case (as I've said before). If someone could just make the same design but metal, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Most metal grinders grind the right consistency for smoking though as I don't think there are many grinders designed with vaporization in mind specifically.

Carbon,

max

Out to lunch
kabob said:
Which grinder would you say is the one that provides the finest grind?
In my experience, the MnB Nano, because it's tiny. But it only holds so much, and can be a chore to use because of its small size and the resistance it puts up in order to provide that fine grind. If not for the fact that I like it for PD and LB grinding, I'd probably only use it as a portable grinder, or if I just needed to grind a small amount. I'd rate the MnB Classic very high for a fine grind, due to the tooth design. You just have to keep at it, maybe dumping out your grind a time or two and just adding back the part that you want/need to grind finer. For the LB, a coffee grinder would be quicker and easier, but I'm just a hand grinder type of guy. The Classic is a good deal on eBay-just $14 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firth-STS06SM B0002IXNGI - this is interesting. Looks like it may use the 'slap chop' method. Doesn't look like it holds much though.

max,

SmokingElectricity

Nycdeisel said:
so, the Mini Cosmic 2 piece grinds a lot finer then the medium(and maybe even small) 2 piece SC?
I might have to look into this. also Im seriously considering a few of those small SC cylinder containers for on the go, they seem absolutely perfect, and I like avoiding plastic when possible, which can be difficult when you are out and about.

travel pill containers are much much cheaper and do the same job.

you can find them for about $1 shipped. just make sure you get the non colored ones.

pill-box-keychain-02.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

kabob

derporist
max said:
kabob said:
In my experience, the MnB Nano, because it's tiny. But it only holds so much, and can be a chore to use because of its small size and the resistance it puts up in order to provide that fine grind. If not for the fact that I like it for PD and LB grinding, I'd probably only use it as a portable grinder, or if I just needed to grind a small amount. I'd rate the MnB Classic very high for a fine grind, due to the tooth design. You just have to keep at it, maybe dumping out your grind a time or two and just adding back the part that you want/need to grind finer. For the LB, a coffee grinder would be quicker and easier, but I'm just a hand grinder type of guy. The Classic is a good deal on eBay-just $14 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firth-STS06SM B0002IXNGI - this is interesting. Looks like it may use the 'slap chop' method. Doesn't look like it holds much though.
Once again nice write up, thanks for the details. I grind small amounts at a time so the size of the Nano is not an issue. I got a coffee grinder (Proctor Silex E160B, smallest one I could find) for my LB but its just too messy! I don't like how a bunch of kif flys off the buds and can go between cracks of the unit. :/
Just curious, have you tried a Cosmic mini? If so, how does it compare to the MnB Nano? I can't decided which one of these grinders I want! :rolleyes:

kabob,

OO

Technical Skeptical
kabob said:
max said:
kabob said:

Once again nice write up, thanks for the details. I grind small amounts at a time so the size of the Nano is not an issue. I got a coffee grinder (Proctor Silex E160B, smallest one I could find) for my LB but its just too messy! I don't like how a bunch of kif flys off the buds and can go between cracks of the unit. :/
Just curious, have you tried a Cosmic mini? If so, how does it compare to the MnB Nano? I can't decided which one of these grinders I want! :rolleyes:
seriously, try the push style grinder.
http://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firth-STS06SM B0002IXNGI
this addresses the keif loss, and give as fine a grind as you would get from a coffee grinder, just make sure your bud is very dry.

OO,

Nosferatu

Titanium vs Regular Space case. (merged)

So I bought this Titanium Space Case: http://www.puffitup.com/Titanium-SPACE-CASE-Small-4-Part-p/titanium spacecase4partsmall.htm

My Other choice was this one: http://www.puffitup.com/SPACE-CASE-Small-4-Part-p/spacecase4partsmall.htm

I did a quick google and it looks like the Titanium one is the same but covered in the black Titanium, making it even stronger. My only problem is getting it I thought it would be BETTER, since I heard so much about the brand. I guess its really nice but I wonder does the regular version have the rubber ring around it also, I dont see it in the pictures? It feels really light and like the magnet should be stronger. I'm just Mr. Paranoid but now I'm wondering if I should of got the regular one instead?

THANKS just wanted input on wether or not there are design differences besides the coating of Titanium on the 2 grinders?

Nosferatu,

Nycdeisel

The new 'black' Space Cases are actually no longer made with Ti, I believe.

I have an actual titanium coated 2piece SC as well as a new black one. They both have the rings around the bottom piece.

What size do you have? I felt like the medium felt light and everything since the other is a large sized and is a beast, could probably kill somebody. But its actually got some good weight to it.

The second one seems to be the titanium coated, the black one is as I described.

Nycdeisel,

max

Out to lunch
The black is just an anodized coating. It's not really titanium-never was. The real world difference is that herb won't stick to the anodized surface as much as plain aluminum. SC is better than other brands in the machining-no burrs, no nicks, no bumps, no scratches. That perfection doesn't translate to superior grinding though, just looks and feel. It's light because high quality aluminum is light. Most grinder brands use an o-ring, including SC. The magnet seems strong enough to keep the top on-good enough for me. There's no difference between the two versions except the anodizing.

Nycdeisel said:
The new 'black' Space Cases are actually no longer made with Ti, I believe.
Have you seen 'em called black (vs. titanium) anywhere but Vapeworld? I haven't. The anodizing used to have a purple tint, but I don't know that there's ever been any real difference in the coating process, other than the slight color difference.

max,

SmokingElectricity

does anybody own any on the new anodized aerospaced grinders from vapeword?

great price plus a lifetime warranty...

curious about the thickness of the 2pcs ones and hows the coating?

SmokingElectricity,

Nosferatu

I got the Small size. Perfect size but I thought you werent suppose to be ablwe to see the cracks when its all screwed together. Also the turn is so much to take the peices apart. And the top doesnt seem to spin so smoothly. Maybe I should just ISO it? Otherwise its great.

Nosferatu,

Carbon

LivingInSpin said:
Titanium refers to the color, not the material it is made from. It is a bit misleading. They were probably shooting for black and something went wrong and they got purple/grey, so, they called it "titanium" color instead of black. It happens all the time with AR-15 receivers.
You are absolutely right on this. They were supposed to be black from the beginning but had issues with the anodizing process and they turned out purple. I got my grinder directly from the distributer for space case and that is what they told me. I quite liked the purple though and was pleased to get a discount as they were the b stock mistake batch.

Carbon,
Top Bottom