Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
=LivingInSpin said:
I'm no space case expert, but I believe the plain aluminum SC is clear anodized, so it really isn't raw aluminum.
It's not anodized. Anodizing is always going to change the color to some degree. Again, the only real world plus to anodizing is a slicker surface-makes for less frequent cleaning. The MixnBall anodizing also prevents light scratches, but if something digs into the surface hard it won't offer protection from that.

Nosferatu said:
I thought you werent suppose to be ablwe to see the cracks when its all screwed together.
Don't know who told you that but it's a fairy tale.

Also the turn is so much to take the peices apart. And the top doesnt seem to spin so smoothly.
If the threads were designed so that a couple of turns was all it took to unscrew, a lot of grinders would end up with stripped threads. It's not practical. And the top section isn't going to spin like a top. The o-ring, if nothing else, provides enough friction to prevent that. Seems like your expectations of the Space Case brand are unrealistic.

Maybe I should just ISO it?
Always a good idea for a brand new grinder, and also when you get a build up on the screen, rims, etc., but cleaning isn't gonna make the top spin.

max,

GreenDragon

Space Case Ti grinders - Titanium or not?

There is so much conflicting information out there I went on a quest to find a "definitive" answer.

I remembered someone posted a telephone number for SpaceCase warranty issues (this topic, post #1929). I figured that would be a good place to start.
949-515-9622

This is the distributor for Space Case grinders and is next door to the manufacturing facility in Costa Mesa, CA. The gentleman who answered the phone was very helpful and patient with my repeated direct questions about the "titanium" grinders. He said that the Titanium grinders are made out of aluminium and have a titanium anodized coating. I pointed out all the confusion on the forums and in the online sellers information. He said that the new "Black" and the old purple/gray/gunmetal colors ARE all genuine titanium anodized. He said the old purple variations were supposed to be black but there were quality control issues during anodizing. During the first few years the "purple" color varied from purple to gray. They have gotten their titanium anodizing process fixed and they all look black now.

To summarize: (according to distributor/manufacturer)
Space Case Titanium grinders ARE titanium anodized.
Space Case "Black" grinders ARE titanium anodized.

Note - They still have some B stock of the old purple grinders at a discount.

Nycdeisel

Good to know, Greendragon, but I would like at least one other person here to confirm that, by contacting the manufacturer

Nycdeisel,

lwien

I like the purple color. Actually, I prefer it over black.

Purple grinder. Purple Days Vape. Purple buds.

Anyone up for eggplant? :brow:

lwien,

LivingInSpin

Titanium coating and anodizing are different processes from what I have read. Maybe the terminology was throwing me off. When I think anodizing, I don't think coating.
Anyone here with metal finishing experience?

Anodizing

TiN coating

LivingInSpin,

Nycdeisel

I just inspected my 2piece medium Ti SC, looks to have a dark purple tint to it, but from afar looks like the 'black' version. this is a defect? hope it is still safe, I notice some areas where the aluminum is exposed, probably because I was banging the two pieces together a lot when I first got it. I think its time for an ISO soak/qwiso run! :)

Nycdeisel,

LivingInSpin

Nycdeisel said:
Good to know, Greendragon, but I would like at least one other person here to confirm that, by contacting the manufacturer

Good thought, I'll call them next week.

Even though it isn't a terribly pressing issue, it is kind of annoying to not know. Grinders this expensive should have published product specs, not a shroud of mystery.

LivingInSpin,

SmokingElectricity

the coating has worn away on mine as well in some spots. i called SC and they said i could send it back for a new one, but it's just going to happen again. if its that big of an issue, get a non colored anodized grinder like mix n ball or titan. if it was actually titanium coated, it would have a different finish and it's also very expensive to do.
dscn0096p.jpg

read this to learn more about Titanium nitride or (TiN). quite interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride

LivingInSpin

Yeah I saw that, and my personal opinion about the Ti SC is the same as yours. There are many reasons I suspect that it isn't Ti, but I have no proof to back that up.

All I can do without proof is speculate.

LivingInSpin,

Nycdeisel

nice. doesnt take away from it being a good grinder though. give it a thorough wash before you use it too, should always do that with new tools.

Nycdeisel,

SmokingElectricity

^^^absolutely. its an incredibly well machined tool. any grinder you use is gonna wear down over time, especially with heavy use. at least with the SC, you have the warranty to fall back on. one of the only other company to offer lifetime warranty on grinders is vapeworld's aerospaced grinders. i just copped a 2 pcs anodized to see for myself.

SmokingElectricity,

LivingInSpin

I agree. My medium four piece polished SC is very well done. I balked a bit at the price, but when I got it I realized the price was in line with any other quality machined aluminum device. I have some quibbles with some of their other, less expensive products, but the grinders are very nice and are worth it to me.

LivingInSpin,

lwien

LivingInSpin said:
I agree. My medium four piece polished SC is very well done. I balked a bit at the price, but when I got it I realized the price was in line with any other quality machined aluminum device. I have some quibbles with some of their other, less expensive products, but the grinders are very nice and are worth it to me.

The SC containers, and if so, why?

lwien,

lwien

^^ All mine have the o-ring and have been working great for over a year. Not the discs though. The cylinders.

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
LivingInSpin said:
^^ I have a flat disc container and a press. The disc isn't that great. Not airtight. Should have known this due to the lack of O ring. My fault for not evaluating the product descriptions and pictures more critically.

On the SC press, when really cranking it down, the pressure on the threads against each other causes too much friction and they start to shave off bits of aluminum. They still screw together, but it's rough now. User error? Could be.

I haven't tried the containers with an O ring. They look good though, I'll probably get one and see.

Are you tightening your pollen press with a pipe wrench and pliers? My SC press has very meaty threads and I have never had any problems with it. If your threads are starting to strip it sounds like a warranty issue, as long as your press has not been subject to undue abuse.

chucku,

Nycdeisel

I happen to really like those SC containers and would like to invest in one. the little 1g cylinder looks perfect for on the go with the LB or something. I love all of those other SC things, I like to avoid plastic when possible and you cant travel with glass!

Nycdeisel,

sockamodo

i got a kannastor herb grinder its pretty sick n its pocket size anodized aluminum gets it done

sockamodo,
Top Bottom