Herb Grinders

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
Bad ass pick up @Deadshort480 :rockon:

You're going to love that thing.
I know I adore mine.

The Jumbo SCS, for those times when you need a grinder big enough to grind a BIC lighter. :o :lol:

Great colour too, I would have gotten that one if it had been available when I got mine.
I have a matte black one.

May I suggest a simple and extremely cheap mod that's so good you'll wonder why the thing didn't come with these in the first place? lol
Cheap ass silicone wristbands.
They're good for everything.
It takes a bit to stretch them onto the grinder but thats a positive because it means they fit very tight and don't slip.

They give you a soft, cushioned, non-slip surface to grip when you grind.

Here be mine:

scs_bands.jpg

Unconnected

All manual hand grinders are total rubbish, a huge waste of time and overpriced like nothing else on the planet. I dont care what its made out of they are all total rubbish.

After years of using a multitude of grinders and before that scissors, i purchased the best thing ever, the kmart coffee grinder, $12 in australia, im sure its like $5 in the usa and you can probably buy the exact product at kmart i would assume with just a different plug.

This thing turns your weed, stems and all, into vapeable or smokeable weed in literally seconds. a few pulses for smoking in joints or bongs, long hold and shake it to turn weed into a fine coffee style grind that is amazing in vaporizers. Accumulates a huge amount of kief too.

Here is pretty much the same thing,
http://www.kmart.com/mr-coffee-grinder-white/p-9990000006565211P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

changed my life

King

Accessory Maker
All manual hand grinders are total rubbish, a huge waste of time and overpriced like nothing else on the planet. I dont care what its made out of they are all total rubbish.

After years of using a multitude of grinders and before that scissors, i purchased the best thing ever, the kmart coffee grinder, $12 in australia, im sure its like $5 in the usa and you can probably buy the exact product at kmart i would assume with just a different plug.

This thing turns your weed, stems and all, into vapeable or smokeable weed in literally seconds. a few pulses for smoking in joints or bongs, long hold and shake it to turn weed into a fine coffee style grind that is amazing in vaporizers. Accumulates a huge amount of kief too.

Here is pretty much the same thing,
http://www.kmart.com/mr-coffee-grinder-white/p-9990000006565211P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

changed my life
I would think that any moving parts have some kind of lubrication in them that might make it onto the herb. I know the Healthmaster blenders were having that problem.

Just because you can safely drink coffee from beans ground in the grinder doesn't mean inhaling any of their industrial lubricants isn't without risk.

King,

max

Out to lunch
All manual hand grinders are total rubbish, a huge waste of time and overpriced like nothing else on the planet.
Really? You mean all the grinding I've done over the years didn't really work? I guess success with these grinders is just mass hallucination. And a good grinder for under $20 is "overpriced like nothing else on the planet"?

My opinion of your opinion? I'll use your own descriptive- "total rubbish".

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
It's all about 'choices' folks..... For 'me', hand grinding or scissor snipping is just part of the ritual that adds to the calm to follow. If someone prefers to use a power/coffee grinder ? Good for them, enjoy your method, but it doesnt make others methods unnecessary/improper/or rubbish.

And if they are referring to stems and not stalks, there are still actives to vape in bud stems, and even beneficials for medibles in stalks and fan/sun leaves. Other than being harder on the grinder teeth there's nothing wrong with it. Again..... personal choices to be were you want to ;)

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
All manual hand grinders are total rubbish....

After years of using a multitude of grinders and before that scissors, i purchased the best thing ever, the kmart coffee grinder...

You can't possibly imagine you 'discovered' using a coffee grinder to grind cannabis? :rolleyes:

I would hazard a guess that most of us here have used that method at one time or another.

I have two coffee grinders that I used for years, a cheap plastic BigW one like you linked and a stainless steel Breville one.

Both sit unused for years now while I do it the 'rubbish' way and use my manual grinder. :nod:

Like someone else said, it's all about personal preference.

canj00digit?,
Reactions: Snappo

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
I want that big one deadshort in a four piece and five would be even better.

The 2-piece jumbo is a very reasonable $49 but the 4-piece makes a rather LARGE jump in price to $140. :o

I'm a 2-piece kind of guy myself anyway.

Haha! Finally, I can put those livestrong bracelets to good use! ;) In all seriousness though, great idea.

lol I think it's the best possible use for those livestrong bracelets :D
Thanks man. My only complaint with the jumbo SCS was the lack of any texture on the bottom half to assist in grip. So I threw one only on the bottom first. It rocked so much I put them on both halves. MUCH more comfortable/easy to use now.

Unconnected

sorry but a company being able to sell you an electric motor, case and grinder blades for much less than a headshop will sell you some space case chrominium chruser etc grinder means that the simple metal herb grinder is a rip off, which they are like any other bud accessory.

As for the 'lubricant getting into your weed' that just makes no sense, its a coffee grinder, its made to be food grade and sold in the biggest retailers, in the case of my grinder like all, the drive shaft is mounted to the herb chamber on a sealed plastic bearing, there is no interface between the engine room and the bud grinding chamber, this would be the case with the huge majority of them, running boiling water through contaminated coffee grounds would still be bad for you if there was loads of these 'greases and residues' on them. I would trust that mainstream consumer product MUCH more than some grinder made in a chinese factory, cheaply anodised and then sold in a market with no standards, no oversight and a chance to make huge profits. Cannabis paraphernalia is almost always sold with lables like 'not a smoking device' on bongs or not for human consumption. There are no standards in this market, these grinders you all seem to think are like made in hermetically sealed laboritories just do not exist, they are made in cheap dirty chinese factories then cheaply anodised, which often scapes off the teeth and into your bud.

Seriously, your telling me you have more faith in the manufacturers of herb grinders, that are still considered illegal paraphernalia in many us states and many places around the world, than you do a consumer product that is sold with a warrenty though a major retailer.

I have used space case etc many times, i own three, a no name, an 'SX4' and a space case and my mate has a chrominium chrusher they chop your weed up not very fine unless you sit there with it for a solid 20 mins to get it to powder, all brands have had andoising on them and all of them have about a 6 month life before they get too gummed up.

For many years i was just like many of you and hated on coffee grinders and figured that they would either A:) cause me to lose bud into the machine, B:) could only grind a lot of bud at a time neither of which are true, all they do is make your bud amazing immediately with no effort at all. They never jam, they never break, they never get gummed up.

Continue to be a scoffer and waste 20-50$ on metal hand grinders, like i was, until you see the light.

EDIT: i dont remember saying i discovered them...many many australian smokers use them to chop their weed up, its pretty much scissors or kmart electric grinders here, fewer people use manual grinders here due to headshops being illegal in most states.

Unconnected,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
@ Unconnected how can the week not get stuck in all the mechanisms. That was always my question as it seems like it would be a pain with static getting your herb back out. So tell me how do you get your herb stuck to the plastic out and how and when do you clean your coffee grinder? TIA

Dreamerr,

Unconnected

Well, there is this thing called a bearing, thats a device that allows you to attach a rotating shaft to a non rotating structure, and still allow the shaft to rotate independently of whatever it is you mounted that rotating shaft too. These bearings are sealed. you do accumulate a small amount of keif directly on top of the bearing that is nice to dig out when you get really low on bud, but its a small amount.

There is no requirement to clean the grinder, it accumulates keif in the top of the lid for you to scoop out at your leisure, if you dont scoop it out it after a long while all your doing is imparting extra kief into your buds, not a bad thing. There is no static herb effect at all, i run the grinder for about 10 seconds shaking it to get a fine grind, then run about 1/2 seconds with the grinder upside down to send all the herb into the lid part, i then remove the lid, with the unit still upside down, and then a sharp tap onto my herb dish is all that is needed to get the weed out, you can always tell if you have very good herb because it might take a tap or two, because the stickyness of the buds can sometimes defy gravity, but mostly it just plops out of the lid and into my bowl.

To get the keif out i just use a raw filter end folded in half longways as a kind of flexible shovel, works great.

Its not like a grinder where the weed goes through a bunch of blades then out a spout, like most coffee grinders, it is literally just a tiny blender you put a nug into then bam you have vapeable weed.

Here is a photo of my actual grinder, and my leg. as you can see, keef accumulates at the apex of the domed lid and generally around the lid and on the grinder, you can scrape the entire thing if your really short on meds and will get probably a whole keif bowl out of scraping the bottom half especially. As you can see, there is no where for your weed to go but into your vaporizer. Other than the small area where the bearing sits, but that is easy to get at if you need it.

2rzqgjk.jpg

Unconnected,

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
Yup, that's the same $15 piece of shit that I got:
POScoffeegrind.jpg

Made in China, of course, btw, while grinders like the Santa Cruz Shredder are made in the US.

It's actually not a POS coffee grinder. It works fine for what it is.
I simply prefer the grind of a quality herb grinder.
I find a coffee grinder will pulverize the material at the bottom before it's able to
grind the material at the top to an acceptable size, thereby resulting in a very uneven grind.

Just my experiences... everybody's preferences are different... so no need to expend so much energy trying to convince us to try something many of us have already dismissed.

PoopMachine

Mmmmm I missed those pics before, tasty!

On another note, the official Storz & Bickel (makers of the Volcano) grinder is plastic? I've heard they work okay... but for $500+? :\

Thats the best grinder I own. Its a FANTASTIC little grinder, espeially for $7.00.

I just ordered a "fugly" medium 2 piece for 23.50 incl. shipping, same price as the Kinder in the end.
0jye5Xl.jpg

LKvgXm0.jpg

MYm6ETD.jpg

Definitely could grind half an ounce in 30 seconds, it definitely works well I haven't tried cleaning it in the dishwasher yet but ISO'd it and you can really take apart every piece to really ensure its 100% clean.

It works pretty simply, put a quarter in each side, push down while twisting, pennies fall out. There are two blades, one is fixed.

I bought one of these thinking it would be awesome. It wasnt. It lasted for one use and one of the blades tweaked and then it wouldnt rotate any more. I removed all the stems, etc but no go... Maybe I should have broken the buds up some more but whatever.. I threw this piece of shit in the trash. Not the worst $25 I ever spent but not far from it.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
It definitely does do a good job at not grinding stems.

I don't understand "tweak" but I can agree the blades are definitely not thick. I would imagine it to be rather easy to snap something if it gets stuck, I know I've had some turning issues with stems, but I feel that is with most grinders. The grinder does not turn all the way around, it has stopping points.

I actually have that exact model of Mr Coffee grinder, it worked well, I don't really use it much any more unless I want kief or am using abv. Wouldn't recommend it over a 2 piece unless your only vape was the mflb.

paytonpenn,

PoopMachine

It definitely does do a good job at not grinding stems.

I don't understand "tweak" but I can agree the blades are definitely not thick. I would imagine it to be rather easy to snap something if it gets stuck, I know I've had some turning issues with stems, but I feel that is with most grinders. The grinder does not turn all the way around, it has stopping points.

I actually have that exact model of Mr Coffee grinder, it worked well, I don't really use it much any more unless I want kief or am using abv. Wouldn't recommend it over a 2 piece unless your only vape was the mflb.

I put the herb in there, turn the blades, they wont cut through the bud and stop. Put a little more force behind it, blade bends and unit is worthless.

Its a real shame. Its a nice idea and had it been implemented in a smarter way it probably would be a home run. Its outside in my garbage can right now. I literally threw it and the box out last night.

I hate buying crap and that was the crappiest item Ive bought in a long time.

PoopMachine,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I understand, that's what I imagined, if you broke up your buds a little further and got rid of any big stems this could have been avoided. The teeth to me are similar to kitchen knives and other blades found around that region.

I have noticed the grinder actually will collect some stems on the blades and because some may be so thick or just plain hard if they are lucky enough to fall through the slits you'll quickly notice it's locked.

I do agree that there should be some definite improvements with the teeth and all around parts.

paytonpenn,

PoopMachine

I understand, that's what I imagined, if you broke up your buds a little further and got rid of any big stems this could have been avoided. The teeth to me are similar to kitchen knives and other blades found around that region.

I have noticed the grinder actually will collect some stems on the blades and because some may be so thick or just plain hard if they are lucky enough to fall through the slits you'll quickly notice it's locked.

I do agree that there should be some definite improvements with the teeth and all around parts.

I did get rid of the main stem.. I didnt pull all the weed off the small stems.. that sort of defeats the purpose of having a grinder.

Makes me want to come up with something better.....

PoopMachine,

Unconnected

You just want to shake the whole unit as it grinds and then you get totally consistent fine grinded bud in about 10 seconds.

Unconnected,
Reactions: Vaponly
Top Bottom