Herb Grinders

NeeChee

More meatloaf Ma!
Soo I am about to pull the trigger on a SCS, tired of my cheapo 4 piece that is always sticky and doesnt grind very well. Without having to read the 160 pages do I want the 2 piece or the 4 piece (I never end up using the screened kief) also what size works best?

thnks in advance
I love my SCS 4 piece but it does not collect much kief. If thats not an issue i suggest a large 2 pc!

Caligula

Maximus
I love my SCS 4 piece but it does not collect much kief. If thats not an issue i suggest a large 2 pc!
I just bought one to replace the laughably tiny nano that I have. Website i got it from listed it as a small. Lol.

Waiting on the mail... I got the large because I want to be able to grind an eighth quickly and without much effort all in one (or two) pass(es).

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
Hey y'all, I'm a little curious on grinder care.

I've owned a SC Ti 2 piece for over 2 years now, and I've just noticed a bit of chipping. Probably less than 10 chips total, but I'm wondering how I could reduce the possibility of chipping. Smaller nugs? No/small stems?

Fenton Mewley,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I just got my replacement SCS [Thanks SCS] from Fedex who knocked like the cops to let me know the package was outside. I know the pics are shitty, pardon me but this EVO has got me wasteddddd LOL. I was using my 4 piece EZ Grind while it was gone and man did that shit suck. lol. It was so powdery and non fluffy. I will have to shred in a few hours so I will break this SCSs virginity. :p

Natural Sunlight
sl4b61.jpg

Others:
52x9g2.jpg

sonxav.jpg

rsbkuw.jpg

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
I got my large two piece today too! Sadly all my herb is already ground and I've gota bit of it. LOL.

Feels and looks like a quality piece though (as expected). Can't wait to use it. Also the large was the way to go for sure. Perfect size.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I would have prefer it being a two piece, four pieces just feel so unneeded recently. If anyone cares I ordered a Kinder Grinder for around 24 dollars from ALT and am hoping to receive and review it soon.

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
I would have prefer it being a two piece, four pieces just feel so unneeded recently. If anyone cares I ordered a Kinder Grinder for around 24 dollars from ALT and am hoping to receive and review it soon.

Nice, would love to see a review.

As for the 4 piece argument, I don't really like dumping from a 2 piece. The convenience is what attracts me. The keif is bonus, but with my SC 2 piece, the grooves on the side will build up keif, albeit not very fine, so what's the big difference? I would still need to extract that keif since it's kind of "caked" on there (need to get a tweezer to loosen it up).

What I really don't understand are the 5 pieces. 2 bud chambers? 2 keif screens, is that a big deal?

Maybe they like to put bud on the 2nd chamber, and let it get coated with keif from the top?

max

Out to lunch
What I really don't understand are the 5 pieces. 2 bud chambers? 2 keif screens, is that a big deal?
Two screens with different mesh sizes for different grades of kief. Doesn't interest me but if there's a market for it, they'll keep making 'em.

I've gotten to the point where I'll only use a 4 piece and screen the kief if the herb I have is dry and will produce a lot of powder/kief during the grind process. If you try to keep it all together- kief and ground herb, you'll most likely lose some kief here and there and I find it more efficient to separate it.

S1N3

Tarzan @ KloudSociety
Folks I'd like to show you what Power Brew Wash is capable of.... Stripping the anodized coat right off the SSC. :doh: I hate when people give me new things to try out. A link to the stuff for anyone curious

@SantaCruzShredder still waiting on your guys to reply to my email, tweet.... sigh

Has anyone on FC dealt with something like this, is the paint coat covered under the lifetime warranty?

HJEGwaz.jpg

Apologies for seeming anxious on a response, but my next course of action is dependent on it.

Last edited:
S1N3,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
HOLY moley. Yeah when I heard PBW removes decals and stickers on glass I knew not to mess with it for grinders. [iso soak works] For a second I thought your SCS was f'd up from wear and tear but seems you committed murder on the look of your SCS. You might as well go all the way and overnight soak it at this point.

PBW is for cleaning glass [Well on FC it is :)]

Last edited:

max

Out to lunch
is the paint coat covered under the lifetime warranty?
It's not paint. It's a dye. Even so, it usually doesn't hold up unless you take it easy with it. I've got a mini 2 pc. Santa Cruz (gunmetal) and have used it and cleaned it quite a bit. It still looks new but doesn't get banged around at all and I just use rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to clean. I prefer not to try and test the finish by intentionally scratching it, but I do think it'll hold up and continue to look good if I use it and clean it as I have so far.

"Aluminium anodizing is usually performed in an acid solution which slowly dissolves the aluminium oxide. The acid action is balanced with the oxidation rate to form a coating with nanopores, 10-150 nm in diameter.[6] These pores are what allow the electrolyte solution and current to reach the aluminium substrate and continue growing the coating to greater thickness beyond what is produced by autopassivation.[8] However, these same pores will later permit air or water to reach the substrate and initiate corrosion if not sealed. They are often filled with colored dyes and/or corrosion inhibitors before sealing. Because the dye is only superficial, the underlying oxide may continue to provide corrosion protection even if minor wear and scratches may break through the dyed layer."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

You can get some colors from anodizing without dyes (organic acid anodizing), but not bright colors. I'm pretty sure this organic process was used on the only 2 brands I've seen (MixnBall and Titan) where the anodizing definitely holds up to anything but digging at the finish (although I haven't used any harsh chemicals to clean either).

"Anodizing can produce yellowish integral colors without dyes if it is carried out in weak acids with high voltages, high current densities, and strong refrigeration.[6] Shades of color are restricted to a range which includes pale yellow, gold, deep bronze, brown, grey, and black. Some advanced variations can produce a white coating with 80% reflectivity. The shade of color produced is sensitive to variations in the metallurgy of the underlying alloy and cannot be reproduced consistently."

From what I've seen, if you want one of the popular brands in a colored grinder, and want it the looks to hold up, you have to treat it gently (including the cleaning process), and that may even include avoiding all but the very smallest stems when you grind. A non anodized grinder will last just as long (in real world grinding) and scratches won't show as much, so it's easier to have it looking good long term, vs. colored anodized models. Corrosion should not be an issue with grinders, so IMO anodizing is mostly more marketing gimmick than a useful process for protection or strength.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Folks I'd like to show you what Power Brew Wash is capable of.... Stripping the anodized coat right off the SSC. :doh: I hate when people give me new things to try out. A link to the stuff for anyone curious

@SantaCruzShredder still waiting on your guys to reply to my email, tweet.... sigh

Has anyone on FC dealt with something like this, is the paint coat covered under the lifetime warranty?

HJEGwaz.jpg

Apologies for seeming anxious on a response, but my next course of action is dependent on it.
My reccomendation is chat with @t-dub, it happened to him first I do believe... http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pbw-the-chemistry-of-clean.7854/page-3#post-317464

Last edited:
SSVUN~YAH,
Reactions: S1N3

S1N3

Tarzan @ KloudSociety
Thanks @max for the background on anodizing aluminum good read and defiantly something to keep in mind as my grinder already has some cosmetic scratching.

@Live-N-Learn I might just do an overnight bath to see how it looks as you suggested.

@SSVUN~YAH thanks for the advice. Thanks for the link, wish I would have read that thread instead of reading the PBW website, where it said its safe for metals.

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
It's amazing how preferences vary on this little device. After using an original sweet leaf grinder a friend brought back from the islands for the last decade, I 'upgraded' to a 4pc and hated it. Typically, I will get at least a bowl of kief per 1/8. w/ the 4 pc, I used it for close to 2 months to maybe get a bonghit sized amount. I have a 9" x 12" kief box I usually grind into. The amount of kief collected this way is far superior to using a grinder by itself. If you are getting an 1/8 now and again, it might not matter what you decide. If you are dealing w/ larger amounts, it is amazing how much crystal is lost if you don't contain it. I would highly recommend using a kief box while grinding for any 2pc users.

For those on a budget, I made my huge box for under $10. I went to the dollar store and bought 4 picture frames. I picked up some 140 micron screen cheap from the trading post. Add a couple of hinges and some epoxy and you are set. The picture frames are nice because you get the frames for the box as well as the glass. If you cut the short side on 1 of the frames and epoxy 2 pcs of glass onto the cut away section, you have a nice glass collection tray. On the picture frames, the grooves for sliding the tray are already in place. This is your bottom piece. Glue 2 (or however deep you want it) frames on top and hinge the last piece for the lid. I epoxy a piece of the glass to the top section. W/ this method, you can make as small, large or deep of a box as you choose for ridiculously cheap. Mine is pretty beat as it has served me for 12+ years.

edit: for some reason the pic makes it look pretty funky and uneven, While it is not perfect, this doesn't translate to the naked eye.

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
If you want to see a "gimmicky" looking grinder, whose physics (upon appearance) baffles me as to how this is a 'new improved tooth design', check out the Cali Crusher Homegrown.
It has a ton of large holes also...
and to top it off, it boasts a screw in the middle of it's screen to complicate matters.
It latches on a half turn rather than having full screw threads.(I have not theorized about the effectiveness of that)
845ab670-7ca9-44c6-98b6-65d7f8b836a1.jpg

I have not tried this one, yet... but I thought I would share my first impressions.

max

Out to lunch
Cali Crusher Homegrown.
The teeth (if you can call 'em that) remind of the Mendo Mulcher, where there's nothing to move the herb around once it's sliced. You cut through the bud and it's done. Forget about actually grinding. To really grind, you need more than just a front and back edge.

Gimmicky indeed.

Caligula

Maximus
Maybe at the very least the screw is covered by the center magnets on the upper portion? Just a thought.

Caligula,

Dr. Plutonious

I was wondering if I could get some more info on this grinder.

Would it compliment my Santa Cruz Shredder? It looks like a grinder designed for grinding a lot of weed fast. Also, how does the grind compare to other grinders?

Thanks!

Dr. Plutonious,
Top Bottom