Herb Grinders

InterplanetaryTanner

Interplanetary Development
Manufacturer
Eugh, I'm 150+ posts behind in this thread.

My girlfriend got me the Super Weapon 2 for 4/20 as a surprise. At first I enjoyed it since it was a novelty, but there are a few glaring issues:

- the grinder holes are rather large IMO and I've had dense bits of unground bud fall through. This is especially common with weed that isn't totally dry.

- the threading is extremely tight! If I rotate clockwise the upper stage becomes so tightly screwed into the stage with the screen that it is VERY difficult to unscrew. Someone with weak wrists, arthritis, etc will NOT want to use this.

- cleaning the SW2 is the same as every other grinder. Plant matter permeates the threading and gunks it up, thereby making it even more difficult to unscrew.

Overall, after about 3 weeks of daily use, I see no benefit to this grinder over the 4 stage SCS I have.

You're girlfriend sounds pretty awesome!

Holes are too large. Threading is too tight. Threading gunk up. Got it. Any other problems? Or suggestions for improvements?

Unfortunately I am experiencing the same issues on my SW2 as @zor. Although I love the missing section of teeth.

Same as the above. Any other problems for suggestions for improvements?

Vitolo

Vaporist
I was tempted to buy a ultrasonic cleaner for my grinder? Should I? And spacecase did not even reply to me about a replacement kief section i chipped the Ti and its too chunky for vaping anyways, and instead of getting another space case 2 part as a "finnisher" i am instead tempted to say bye to the brand and hello santa cruz shredder where are the o-rings on these though?
No... an ultrasonic cleaner is not a helpful tool with grinders.
For replacement Space Case parts, or for warranty claims you should write to:
OneSource
2110 Artesia Blvd. STE B465
Redondo Beach, CA 90278-3073

Space Case has a lifetime warranty, but they figure most people won't locate the manufacturer's address. I have had to replace Teflon rings, and get warranty service, and that is how I went about it.
When writing to OneSource, the guy who runs things is named "Bob"
When you spoke of O-Rings, I think you mean Teflon Gasket.
They come on SCS and most vapes, you just may not be able to see them in pictures.

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Holes are too large. Threading is too tight. Threading gunk up. Got it. Any other problems? Or suggestions for improvements?

When I was using it as a 3pc, the kief chamber was a bit too small to really grind up a decent bit. This maybe matters for those not interesting in sifting kif and only using it as a 3pc.

The threads getting occasionally locked up is a bit of an issue but I think it's often due to my overloading... Something to aid in this would be nice as I often have to use my tshirt or something to help me grip it.

I will agree with occasional pieces of unground bud slipping thru one of those larger holes... not sure of anything else atm. Still pretty pleased w mine

InterplanetaryTanner

Manufacturer
When I was using it as a 3pc, the kief chamber was a bit too small to really grind up a decent bit. This maybe matters for those not interesting in sifting kif and only using it as a 3pc.

The threads getting occasionally locked up is a bit of an issue but I think it's often due to my overloading... Something to aid in this would be nice as I often have to use my tshirt or something to help me grip it.

I will agree with occasional pieces of unground bud slipping thru one of those larger holes... not sure of anything else atm. Still pretty pleased w mine

• Deeper bottom collection chamber. Got it.
  • New threading is already on the list. So well get that handled.
  • A new hole design is also on the list.
Any thing else? Literally. Anything. No matter how small or big.

MoltenTiger

Man I Might have to try the "SLX no clean challenge" haha
I gum up every grinder I've tried
I like to grind a full load at a time, fill the chamber and use throughout the day
At least an ounce a month
I fully recommend it, but it's of course not flawless. I'll attempt a review below, after my time with it there's a few things notable to point out with it.
I have ground around an ounce a month, sometimes more sometimes less, all up I guess my SLX must have seen around a pound of plant so far.

And in 18 months, I've never done more that clean them with one of my S&B brushes.
I tend to use the same maintenance pattern I used for my old coffee grinder for any rec. herb grinder. I just wait til I'm out of product/kief to inevitably pick things clean from boredom or just to see what can be yield. Since having the SLX I haven't needed to do this, and when I've tried it just doesn't hold enough goodies outside of the kief tray for any more than half a little hit.
So far there's been about 6 times I've actually spent any effort dusting down the grinder for a kief boost. Usually just a quick brush to a bowl with the MFLB brush has been 'sufficient' to do this.

However, my daily driver 'sufficient' might not be the most hygienic (or optimal) option to arrive at. So far I've had no issues and no real reason of concern, but I've got some pics and a bit of a SLX owner tip.

ehhsb4.jpg

So there are a few things I'd like to highlight in those pics,

- the ceramic wearing away at the metal-metal contact surfaces.
- the resin gunk stuck to the teeth
- the resin gunk stuck to the outside of the grind chamber, which I believe can damage the ceramic coating (so SLX owners, don't be a fool like me, and scrape them off, and place buds centrally)
- chemicals aren't needed to get rid of the gunk, it wipes off easily. If it's compressed it can be scraped with the included scraper or a fingernail, anodised surfaces are harder to get the gunk off than the ceramic, the point of it.
- be careful using it and when lending it to people. If the grinder is packed over-full, and the lid can't shut completely, than the top-piece's edge can be forced against the side-wall which is how most of my damage has occurred. If you make sure the lid is firmly shut before twisting, or just don't apply crazy force, the surface will be preserved MUCH better than what I've managed.

The ceramic is apparently inert, and is exposed to the user only at very tiny concentrations (it's an extremely thin coating) so it doesn't personally bother me, though I'm interested to see how the newer grinders hold up long term (they seemed to be better quality than mine).

It's worth noting that the coating is not indestructible, and metal tools can't be used on it. Some care when using the product will keep it looking fresh, I don't really care too much about it being fresh when I'm about to skunk it up, I could have prevented nearly all wear and tear by being more careful.

The majority of the scraped away ceramic has come from cranking it on angles due to shitty weed clogging up the insides. I can remember doing a bit of it, again being more careful will keep the mechanic low friction. The insides won't be damaged by plant material and will always stay functional.

The SLX does prefer nice dry nugs, I've read the Space Case has sharper, diamond teeth and does a better job with the jungle bush that is juicy and squishy.
The grind of the SLX I've read is similar to the Santa Cruz Shredder, (very similar teeth shape) but the SCS produces a finer consistency, which is appealing (I would be tempted to try it out if I lost my SLX but there's no question about it as I'd be back with a green SLX the next day).
The Lift has the easiest cranking. The SLX is reasonable, but it could leave something to be desired, the top section has only 1cm of depth to hold on to, I've jammed it twice, once with only a small amount of hyper-dense sticky stuff that didn't like being shredded anyway.

The SLX basket screen can only hold maybe 2-3g? I generally grind 1 - 4 nugs at a time, so I use my grinder often (somewhat by choice, somewhat because I find it's nicer to hit it when it's freshly chopped).
I've never weighed a full grinders worth but I could do this if anyone wanted.

For the time being it's grinding as enjoyably as it did when it was new, it's slightly less smooth now but it still quickly and easily chews through the goods.
My friends SLX, which has been handled with more... vigour than mine, has completely stripped the ceramic from the grinding section, but it still grinds brilliantly, it just feels like a normal grinder. Albeit no other grinder is 7000 series Al. His ceramic did seem to wear down more easily than mine, but I know another heavy user with a brand new one so I'll be keeping an eye on it too.
I can see there is merit in occasional alcohol cleaning, however as it only really gets as dirty as a standard grinder does in it's practice, I am not going to bother right now and will just continue to use it, stoked to be in month 17!

Furthermore, it's not even about wanting a grinder that doesn't need to be cleaned with ISO, far from it. That's just an easy to talk about and appreciable benefit of owning this particular grinder, coming from junk grinders (like myself) it's very easy to appreciate it more than others who already have top tier products, but for those entering the market, this is the next tier in enough meaningful ways IMO.
I own a 4-piece because I need to break apart nugs, but substantially for this reason:

2h6c3rk.jpg

:tup:

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Based on my interpretation of posts in this thread, it seems like the most popular grinders for at least several months now have been SLX, GR8TR, and Santa Cruz Shredder. Of these 3, I've only used SCS.

All three of these grinders have male lids. Interpret that however you want.

snackmaster

• Deeper bottom collection chamber. Got it.
  • New threading is already on the list. So well get that handled.
  • A new hole design is also on the list.
Any thing else? Literally. Anything. No matter how small or big.

These all sound good.

I'm always kinda puzzled by grinders with different-sized holes - seems like holes that are the same size and shape give the best chance of consistent grind.

I'll suggest looking at tooth design too if it's an option. Not because I think there's anything wrong with what you've got going now, but because teeth are noticeable and can set a grinder apart from the others. I know my interest is usually piqued when I see something with a unique tooth design.

InterplanetaryTanner

Manufacturer
These all sound good.

I'm always kinda puzzled by grinders with different-sized holes - seems like holes that are the same size and shape give the best chance of consistent grind.

I'll suggest looking at tooth design too if it's an option. Not because I think there's anything wrong with what you've got going now, but because teeth are noticeable and can set a grinder apart from the others. I know my interest is usually piqued when I see something with a unique tooth design.

My assumption is that hole size/type is just another way to differentiate it from others. The cheapos generally have just plain circle holes.

MoltenTiger

Based on my interpretation of posts in this thread, it seems like the most popular grinders for at least several months now have been SLX, GR8TR, and Santa Cruz Shredder. Of these 3, I've only used SCS.

All three of these grinders have male lids. Interpret that however you want.
My old grinder actually had a female lid
poll2.jpeg

In use the female lid is nicer, but it was more prone to wobbling (probably build quality/tolerance and magnet strength playing a big role there).

But interesting observation, I prefer the larger area to place the nuggies, but prefer placing the wider lid on top.
Speaking of lids, the SLX lid weighs almost the same as the rest of it's body. It's a solid chunk of Al.

This is a nice feature @InterplanetaryTanner, a nice heavy lid. I'd go even further, increase the edge depth to 2cm and have a quality knurled finish.
I'd also recommend looking into a non-stick finish, there must be an available tech you can use to do it. That's the only thing that would pique my interest.
I think you should aim for function and continue with a minimal branding approach as that is what I think has been successful with the SCS, SC and SLX.

You want teeth that work well, causing no dead space after a short amount of revolution and you want to make the grind catchment consistent and small. There's nothing wrong with boring circles, from aesthetics to manufacturing and as acting as a sieve, it's got to be the best choice. It is a sieve, so look at sieve design if you want to make improvements. Lightning bolts and most longer cuts are useless so might as well be avoided.

snackmaster

My assumption is that hole size/type is just another way to differentiate it from others. The cheapos generally have just plain circle holes.

Yeah I think you're probably right. Too bad, as I think simple holes work really well as long as they're sized right. I imagine they're easier to machine too, which is likely related to your point about showing up on most cheapos.

zor

You're girlfriend sounds pretty awesome!

Thanks! I am just one data point but I would like a few things changed in addition to the above:
-textured "grip" on the top stage, similar to the lid. This will help with unscrewing it from the collection chamber.
-the plastic ring between lid and top stage is very loose and comes out. I don't want to lose it!

I do love the strength of the magnet, the removable screen, the curvature in the collecting chamber!

InterplanetaryTanner

Manufacturer
This is a nice feature @InterplanetaryTanner, a nice heavy lid. I'd go even further, increase the edge depth to 2cm and have a quality knurled finish.
I'd also recommend looking into a non-stick finish, there must be an available tech you can use to do it. That's the only thing that would pique my interest.
I think you should aim for function and continue with a minimal branding approach as that is what I think has been successful with the SCS, SC and SLX

What kind of teeth and knurling do you recommend?

Thanks! I am just one data point but I would like a few things changed in addition to the above:
-textured "grip" on the top stage, similar to the lid. This will help with unscrewing it from the collection chamber.
-the plastic ring between lid and top stage is very loose and comes out. I don't want to lose it!

I do love the strength of the magnet, the removable screen, the curvature in the collecting chamber!

Alright. I added textured grip to the list and a fix for that annoying plastic ring.

By textured grip on the top stage, do you mean you want a grip on all the parts? And what kind of knurling would you prefer?

Last edited by a moderator:

MoltenTiger

What kind of teeth and knurling do you recommend?
this as grip for the top piece (grinder section)

If you really don't want to go with circle holes, I think a honeycomb pattern might be a good choice.

I don't know about the teeth, though I think the trapezoid with opposing concave edges is a winner for the standard format. I would work from that dynamic and think of a unique shape that matches it. You could also have it so that twisting it either way had a different grind result (don't bother with this idea haha).

What the vape world really needs though, is a giant MFLB finishing grinder. The other stuff is done, but that is a product begging to be made! Pretty simple, it'd basically be a mixture of the clipper/MFLBfin I guess. That might be something to consider :)

Last edited:

InterplanetaryTanner

Manufacturer
this as grip for the top piece (grinder section)

If you really don't want to go with circle holes, I think a honeycomb pattern might be a good choice.

I don't know about the teeth, though I think the trapezoid with opposing concave edges is a winner for the standard format. I would work from that dynamic and think of a unique shape that matches it. You could also have it so that twisting it either way had a different grind result (don't bother with this idea haha).

What the vape world really needs though, is a giant MFLB finishing grinder. The other stuff is done, but that is a product begging to be made! Pretty simple, it'd basically be a mixture of the clipper/MFLBfin I guess. That might be something to consider :)

That's a pretty serious grip. I think the knurling is going to need to be solved by some sort of group survey.

We're still working on the holes. But if we're able to do what we have planned, I think you all will be VERY happy.

Right now we're kinda leading towards a mix of the Cali crusher teeth with the ID teeth. So similar to what we have now, but having them be a tad bit longer. (And yeah, having the teeth be different on both sides IS something we're currently looking at.)

As far as I can tell, the MFFG is just a fancy grater. The problem that comes from that is making something of of metal that isn't going to rub together, and then flake.

I don't have any really strong opinions on knurling. ID's is better than Kannastor's IMO, but I also like what's on the Space Case.

And @InterplanetaryTanner, 2 things that I like about the SWII are the magnetic screen and the tasteful/minimal branding. Wanted to throw some positive feedback your way too :tup:

Positive feed back is just as important as negative. Those things won't change.

MoltenTiger

That's a pretty serious grip. I think the knurling is going to need to be solved by some sort of group survey.

We're still working on the holes. But if we're able to do what we have planned, I think you all will be VERY happy.

Right now we're kinda leading towards a mix of the Cali crusher teeth with the ID teeth. So similar to what we have now, but having them be a tad bit longer. (And yeah, having the teeth be different on both sides IS something we're currently looking at.)

As far as I can tell, the MFFG is just a fancy grater. The problem that comes from that is making something of of metal that isn't going to rub together, and then flake.

Positive feed back is just as important as negative. Those things won't change.
The MFFG might be a fancy grater but it is also undoubtedly the best herb processing equipment available for vaping. Nothing else can achieve what that thing does, and people want that on a large scale.
I think you could do it with high-tolerance machining and a dampened pin acting as a central axle.
Jar sections, air-tight storage, seamless tools, modular accessories - add these things to what the crowd already wants (an ultra fine, ultra consistent fluff) and you have something very marketable that should be a success.

I'm interested in what you guys have planned for this current project, but you'd be smart to take this on, because a fancy grater is only available in a micro form. Everyone already has a standard grinder mill, and quite frankly new-comers are already spoiled for choice.

Look into the sales numbers of New Vapes Fine Grind, because, well it's reached Australian shores it must be following a good trend ;)

PS: I'm recommending that grip because I'd prefer it to what I have atm. You can never have too much grip, as I've found out having to pick squished herb out of grinder teeth after being unable to crank.
My biggest advice though, don't build for what the uneducated public tell you in a survey, build something that works amazingly and has been well considered with no potential for faults. There's a billion sleek gripped grinders, the only grinder grip I've ever heard praised with any legitimacy was in regards to that knurling on a Mendo Mulcher. Tried and trusted, but just because it's not the in-season jet-black, tried and trusted gets gambled. Don't gamble, do what makes engineering sense and fuck everybody else's opinions.

Last edited:

snackmaster

The MFFG might be a fancy grater but it is also undoubtedly the best herb processing equipment available for vaping. Nothing else can achieve what that thing does, and people want that on a large scale.
I think you could do it with high-tolerance machining and a dampened pin acting as a central axle.
Jar sections, air-tight storage, seamless tools, modular accessories - add these things to what the crowd already wants (an ultra fine, ultra consistent fluff) and you have something very marketable that should be a success.

I'm interested in what you guys have planned for this current project, but you'd be smart to take this on, because a fancy grater is only available in a micro form. Everyone already has a standard grinder mill, and quite frankly new-comers are already spoiled for choice.

Look into the sales numbers of New Vapes Fine Grind, because, well it's reached Australian shores it must be following a good trend ;)

I agree that the MFFG does a superb job at a super fine grind (probably the best), but I think the portion I've bolded above is overstating things a bit. In my experience, that fine of a grind doesn't play well with all vaporizers.

MoltenTiger

I agree that the MFFG does a superb job at a super fine grind (probably the best), but I think the portion I've bolded above is overstating things a bit. In my experience, that fine of a grind doesn't play well with all vaporizers.
Okay then, what's better? ;)

Definitely a fair call, but IMO, despite it's obvious short falls of size (which really just limit the throughput capacity and the ergonomics of use, both substantially negatively to render my statement entirely whimsical)
It's still great, and fuck mill grinders there's already such a large number of nearly perfectly optimised choices outlined over the last few dozen pages.

I actually really want a big GRINDER that finsihes the grind properly.
MFFG surface area is not achievable by other means that I've discovered. Perhaps a particular approach with a pair of scissors. That's harder than the MFFG

It works amazingly with all the vapes I've tried, noticeable improvement.*
The particle size might be too small for some vapes, but theoretically it optimises the enthalpy of vaporisation beyond any other grinder - that alone means it's an area worth pursuing when there are vapes out there that do benefit from it, they should be met with products that smartly produce that optimum consistency. Not just the one tiny hand cramping wooden fancy grator.
Hype is bigger than ever in the marketing game, but it's not about page views it's about sustainance and brand integrity - if you want real large scale success.
You've got to build what people didn't realise they need, not something that's already been bested

*not to suggest all vapes benefit equally from it, or even that all do

Last edited:
Top Bottom